FOOTBALL MANAGER 2009 - Graphics Speak Louder Than Words! . . . [Mock-ups Included]

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mock ups look great but TBH I just don't think it is in the CM/FM tradition. It's all a bit too fancy and a bit in your face. I like the way FM is understated yet brilliant and I like the fact that it doesn't seem to rely on gimmicks like well taken pictures etc.

I've played Fifa and I absolutely hated it and honestly beleive even if it had the same match engine as FM i'd hate it becuase it all just seems a bit too fluffy and comic booky.

Your ideas look well but I think i'd prefer them as a downloadable skin option rather than an addition.

Pretty much love all the suggestions, I'm not for the faces on the tactic screen or on the match engine view but I love the sky sports style score popping up.

Very, very good work indeed. icon14.gif

I think everyone on this board would much rather that the in-game issues are resolved before any cosmetic changes are implemented.

SI have a graphics man, making it look better with these changes will not distrupt any coding at all.

Originally posted by StanPetrov:

Personally i feel FM to have just about every feature you could possibly want in a football management sim. However, i find there is still something lacking.

I beleive FM would greatly benefit from a design overhaul - less text, more graphics.

Attributes

Attribute Alternative Colour

Match Flow

Overview

Table

Tactics

Before i start on the following topic i must insist on telling you that i really dislike Fifa Manager 08.

However the difference, i feel, between FM and Fifa Manager is:

DATABASE: Football Manager > Fifa Manager (90%-10%)

GRAPHICS: Fifa Manager > Football Manager (65%-35%)

Fifa1

Fifa2

Fifa3

Fifa4

Fifa5

Fifa6

All the work you've done is brilliant. Info is alot quicker to access and the screen is much more livelier. Class work and I really hope we see these in the next game. 10/10 icon14.gif

• SI Staff
SI have a graphics man, making it look better with these changes will not distrupt any coding at all

We have a graphics "team" icon_smile.gif

Awesome ideas, Stan! icon14.gif

I agree will all of them except the Tactics screen as the pictures on the pitch look too cluttered but the right-click menu is a really good idea.

Is it only me or do you guys think that the Overview screen during a match should shows more than just the Goals, penalty misses and red cards. For example, it might show the yellow cards received by each team too. Also, under the Team Name maybe it should show the name of the manager and the captain. If I could find my FM cd then I would take a screenie and then edit it and show you guys what I mean.

Good job again. Hope SI include it in FM09. I don't see why not as their graphics and art team works on the skin, while the programmers work on the data and other stuff. So they both shouldn't get in each other's way.

Something occured to me after my first comment: I don't like Fifa manager because it is too 'in your face'. I still think these are good ideas but there has to be a limit or people may become 'scared' of the way it's presented.

mate you are god

SI GIVE HIM YOUR LEAD GRAPHICS JOB, PLEASE, YOU COULD STOP THE FOOTBALL MANAGER ROOT.

GOOD 10 MINUTES ENTERNTAINMENT.

PS PLEASE SI!!!!!!!!

Great work StanPetrov.

I got really excited seeing your screen shots and thinking about them being in a future FM08. I love FM and despite trying to play other Footy management games i cant. However i do think FIFA has some great graphics that SI could do well to consider. And then we have Ter giving some positive feedback. I know this is all hypothetical stuff but pleasing none the less.

OMFG I'm a Fan boy again icon_eek.gif Shoot me quick icon_biggrin.gif

I agree that the UI can have more graphics. Even though it improves with each iteration the game is still a bit too text heavy.

I particularly like the idea of using the cross icon to indicate an injury; it's a really subtle thing, but it would improve things no end.

I think in the mockups there's too much emphasis on player pictures though. I just don't like player pictures since a incident where I decided not to sign a world-class midfielder because I thought he was really ugly.

Originally posted by DarthInsinuate:

I think in the mockups there's too much emphasis on player pictures though.

Again, please remember these are only mock-ups. I too agree that i've used the player pictures a little too much - I don't particularly like the way i had done the match flow screen either.

I'm just trying to emphasise the need for a little more differentiation between stats - some need to stand out more than others.

As i had said in a previous post, there are many other screens i would have liked to put forward suggestions for too but i simply don't have the time to do the mock-ups.

One of my main goals was to create both build-up and match screens for European Cup games. I was hoping to achieve a greater sense of excitement/nervousness for these games as opposed to our weekly league games.

Hopefully SI can come up with something! icon_razz.gif

im using fm 2007, so i dont know if my gripe has been rectified in fm 2008;

a lot of the time, when i go for players, clubs are usually open to negotiation regarding price etc.

however, when it turns the other way around (clubs buying my players), i cant go over 1 million of the players value, even with clubs with chelsea who i know would have no problem in paying the excess,

i find this infuriating, especially with my milan team. im halfway through a clearout of all the unecessary players and i want to gain a profit, instead of having to pay x amount of euros in severance fees etc.

has anyone else had this problem or am i just barking up the wrong tree?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Best suggestion thread I've seen, ever.

Applause for Stan!

I'm delighted that Ter's been reading this thread and I'm hoping some (best if all) of the suggestions make it into FM09.

Quite simply, those mockups are the BEST looking FM I've seen, in any series. Let's hope the graphics "team" Ter referred to see this thread.

I hope they never do this, I have played FIFA manager and it gave me a headache, too much things going on, too many graphics.

Football Manager is near perfection. Theres always something you can add though and having so many mods and such is great.

Think tatics would be better, eg. more things to tell you players but FM is in depth yet easy to understand.

Originally posted by Ryknow:

I hope they never do this, ...

Think tatics would be better, eg. more things to tell you players but FM is in depth yet easy to understand.

They are completely different entities, with different teams of people working on each. There is no issue with improving graphics at the expense of tactics - both should be/will be developed, as they are for every edition.

I reiterate what I said early on and has been endorsed by many since; stanpetrov's suggestions are absolutely brilliant - like others, I do hope Ter's positive comments result in something substantial for FM09 icon14.gif

I concur with most of the posters; these additions are imaginative and would be an excellent idea to base changes around.

Well things change, we all love FM as can be seen by Stan's very dynamic suggestions, therefore we should be looking at the suggestions from a positive view point and get away from this no do not change it will slow down FM/fluff FM/stop other development in FM..blah blah.

As long as the gameplay does not lose it's dynamic interplay re match day, then h*ll why not some bright graphics that actually add rather than detract.

I think and believe that SI would never sacrifice the gameplay for just "pretty additional graphics", so that being the case we should encourage them to work around Stan's ideas.

If it's not possible at the moment then so be it but lets not throw the idea away.

That's my 10 penneth worth and by the way a good thread.

K icon_wink.gif

Thanks for a really good post.

Personally, I wouldn't want things layed out in a 'bolder' way. I don't need a big number and bright colours to tell me how long a player will be out. Bit FIFA-ish and the kind of thing FM has always been good by avoiding. Just an opinion.

• 9 months later...

God I hope so. I had forgotten just how much I loved these ideas. Especillay the attributes screen, that idea of average attribute at the top of each section is genius and would make selection and purchase of players much easier.

Personally i feel FM to have just about every feature you could possibly want in a football management sim. However, i find there is still something lacking.

I beleive FM would greatly benefit from a design overhaul - less text, more graphics.

Attributes

Attribute Alternative Colour

Match Flow

Overview

Table

Tactics

Before i start on the following topic i must insist on telling you that i really dislike Fifa Manager 08.

However the difference, i feel, between FM and Fifa Manager is:

DATABASE: Football Manager > Fifa Manager (90%-10%)

GRAPHICS: Fifa Manager > Football Manager (65%-35%)

Fifa1

Fifa2

Fifa3

Fifa4

Fifa5

Fifa6

Absolutely brilliant work... Hats off to you for putting your time to do this when you are not even paid for this..

Im sure you can join SI Graphics team :thup:

I like the information scored after a goal on the match screen. think that would be great.

Good idea about the right click on the tactics screen, would make it so easier selecting corner, free kick takers.

Fantastic to see users actually coming up with real solid ideas on how to improve things rather than a couple of lines of "try harder!"

Excellent post, people take note! Threads such as these that attempt to solve problems rather than just pointing them out are very useful to us, as Ter's presence shows. :thup:

Fantastic to see users actually coming up with real solid ideas on how to improve things rather than a couple of lines of "try harder!"

Excellent post, people take note! Threads such as these that attempt to solve problems rather than just pointing them out are very useful to us, as Ter's presence shows. :thup:

Also excellent example of a working search function on these boards :D

I agree, the graphics have room for improvement. The mock-ups may just be bolding some things for some of the selected screens, yet they make it way easier to see the most important things at once.

I don't like the attribute averages given as they don't recognise which ones are important to a player's position and which ones are related to CA at all, but that's just details. Great work :cool:

I too think FM needs a bit of a jazz up. It's been basically the same layout now since 05, something like this not only looks good but is also helpful and, IMO, would bring a fresh feel to the game.

I know SI start on FM10 early so hopefully this isn't too late to be looked at and included in someway.

I thought I'd seen this thread before, looked at the date, nearly a year old.

I had my own idea not long ago, to split mental attributes into two categories, the more 'fooball' attributes and the 'gritty' ones like bravery and determination.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8880/scohamsplitmentalattrib.jpg

I actually think putting the attributes in to their training categories would be a nice idea (although that's dependent on an overhaul of the training system!).

Alternatively, it would be nice to be able to customise the attributes screen to display it the way we liked.

Archived