How do I reduce a wage bill that won't let me reduce it?

I'm in League Two currently, with a wage budget of just over 18k but a wage bill of nearly 22k. The board are saying they're not too happy about me being over my budget, and I'm not making any profit because of my wage bill. I've tried selling a couple of players, but nobody wants to buy them. I've also tried releasing a few players on free transfers, but the board blocks it because the release fee would be too high. So what can I do to get my wage bill down?

Have you tried offering new contracts to older players because sometimes they will ask for less than they are given and maybe offer some of your highest earners slightly less to see if they would accept. Other than that you will need to sell players somehow.

I have no transfer budget left. Spent it all stupidly on players that wanted too much but are playing great.

I've offered most of the players (young and old) reduced contracts, but they aren't accepting. I've offered players to clubs at reduced prices, but nobody wants them. I managed to sell one highly paid player, but that only took me down to the wage bill I have now.

The one above or wait for the next transfer window and release some players. TBH shame on you for overspending unless you was going for a crazy promotion push (like me :D )

Yeah, I wanted to get out of League Two in one season, and not via the bottom. Kind of overspent. I blame everyone apart from myself! I think I'll have to keep losing money for a few more months. I have players who will be out of contract by then, and I hope to be promoted to League One and maybe have a higher wage budget to be more careful with.

Archived