Football Manager 2011 release date

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff
Well for a start im sure SI would want people to have maximum playing time on release but they release on one of the biggest days of the year when many people will already have plans. Also people (especially ones with children) will be using their money for Fireworks, now they have to buy the game aswell. I know nobody is forced to buy the game on release day but there are a lot more appropriate days to release IMO, which would benefit both the user and SI.

Sorry SteveoRobbo, but I disagree with you here.

For a start, Fireworks night is a British thing. It doesn't happen anywhere else in the world on that night, and this is a global release. It's also not our fault that that falls on a Friday this year, which is the day that games are released.

Most people in the UK get paid monthly, at the end of the month, so whether it was the week before, or the week after, Fireworks day, makes no difference at all to whether people have money in their pockets or not. Most firework displays are over by 9 too, so lots of time to play the game in the evening.

The release date, from a selfish personal perspective, is really annoying as I too was meant to be at a fireworks display that evening, and it's my birthday the day before, so I'm likely to now have to spend my birthday in 2 or 3 different countries doing PR, then rushing back to the UK for midnight openings, and will likely miss out on the fireworks as I'll be doing more interviews. But, the thing is, it's the right day for us to release the game with the quality that we want to have. So that's why it is then, and I've already accepted another year without being able to spend my birthday with my friends.

This rubbish about fireworks? You don't have to buy the game on release day and if you want the game bad enough you won't bother with fireworks.

Parents have to buy all that? Well that's like saying, it's coming out on the night my mum does her weekly shopping.

Save up for the game.

What is this obsession with Bonfire night?! Do people really make such a big deal of it? You make it sound like some kind of religious festival we're encroaching upon.

I look forward to it every year even though I don't take part. I watch everyone else's fireworks from my back garden.

For a start, Fireworks night is a British thing. It doesn't happen anywhere else in the world on that night, and this is a global release. It's also not our fault that that falls on a Friday this year, which is the day that games are released.

Most people in the UK get paid monthly, at the end of the month, so whether it was the week before, or the week after, Fireworks day, makes no difference at all to whether people have money in their pockets or not. Most firework displays are over by 9 too, so lots of time to play the game in the evening.

The release date, from a selfish personal perspective, is really annoying as I too was meant to be at a fireworks display that evening, and it's my birthday the day before, so I'm likely to now have to spend my birthday in 2 or 3 different countries doing PR, then rushing back to the UK for midnight openings, and will likely miss out on the fireworks as I'll be doing more interviews. But, the thing is, it's the right day for us to release the game with the quality that we want to have. So that's why it is then, and I've already accepted another year without being able to spend my birthday with my friends.

Fair points I suppose. Unlucky about your birthday :( Aim for a early October release next year so you can get all the promotions out of the way before your birthday :thup:

I can see now why you're in game design rather than stand up.

Its never funny when the joke is on you.

I just want to add, I think it's good that Miles has stayed in the thread and responded to people instead of posting an announcement and going away and never looking at it again, as I have seen on other sites.

:thup:

Just make sure you dont miss the Watford Vs. Notts Forest match on Saturday 6th Nov!

In all seriousness. Fair play. You obviously love what you do to give up your birthday like that. I'll drink you a toast as I download FM11 on Thursday 4th Nov.

This rubbish about fireworks? You don't have to buy the game on release day and if you want the game bad enough you won't bother with fireworks.

Parents have to buy all that? Well that's like saying, it's coming out on the night my mum does her weekly shopping.

Save up for the game.

Obviously you dont have children, your own house ect. Saving for ANYTHING is hard enough :(

Just make sure you dont miss the Watford Vs. Notts Forest match on Saturday 6th Nov!

In all seriousness. Fair play. You obviously love what you do to give up your birthday like that. I'll drink you a toast as I download FM11 on Thursday 4th Nov.

Using Steam I hope ;)

Guest roberto922

Well I am still waiting for a proper response tbf. I'm getting an Ipad on Monday so would be nice to know whether there'll be an FM2011 app for it so I know whether to get the FM10 one or wait, as he only mentions the PSP in the OP.

EDIT: That was @ Daly, a few responses while I was typing.

Obviously you dont have children, your own house ect. Saving for ANYTHING is hard enough :(

That's got nothing to do with Bonfire Night, which is your main greivance. You've still got to save for it at any time of the year - and Bonfire Night will still come around.

Ooh - a conspiracy theory! Like most of them, it's not accurate though....

There have been, for many months, 3 possible release dates, of which October 29th was one of them. Following conversations over the last week, after I first suggested to SEGA that I'd rather be on the 5th November (the middle of the 3 possible release dates) as it would give us more time to polish the game (7 days is a very long time in games development), they agreed this morning that it's the right release date for the game this year.

What was the third possible date? Just curious. As I said before, as long as it's released before December, I'm pleased TBH and TBF. :)

Cheers.

Well for a start im sure SI would want people to have maximum playing time on release but they release on one of the biggest days of the year when many people will already have plans. Also people (especially ones with children) will be using their money for Fireworks, now they have to buy the game aswell. I know nobody is forced to buy the game on release day but there are a lot more appropriate days to release IMO, which would benefit both the user and SI.

Well, why don't you wait and buy it a few days later. SI can't cater for everyone. Fireworks night is one evening. You'll have all afternoon to play FM. Plus, I don't know what fireworks display you attend that costs circa £30, even for a family.

• SI Staff

I'll certainly be trying to be at the footy, but at that time of year my schedule isn't my own - doing stuff for the game is much more important. I can't remember the last time I had a proper birthday celebration - probably 7 or 8 years ago! There's normally something work wise happening.

What was the third possible date? Just curious. As I said before, as long as it's released before December, I'm pleased TBH and TBF. :)

Cheers.

I would have thought it was the week after. If october 29th is the first and November 5th is the second (and in the middle) that would suggest that November 12th was the third date. Unless ive read it wrong.

If money is that hard, take the kids to a free public firework display and order FM11 online. It would be both cheaper, safer and infinitely better than a few fireworks in the back garden.

You will then get FM11 possibly as early as 3rd November at a cheaper price that at a shop(possible to get FM for under £20), and the kids would be happier seeing a large scale firework display. :thup:

If money is that hard, take the kids to a free public firework display and order FM11 online. It would be both cheaper and infinitely better than a few fireworks in the back garden.

You will then get FM11 possibly as early as 3rd November at a cheaper price that at a shop, and the kids would be happier seeing a large scale firework display. :thup:

Or as late as 12th November tbh

If money is that hard, take the kids to a free public firework display and order FM11 online. It would be both cheaper and infinitely better than a few fireworks in the back garden.

You will then get FM11 possibly as early as 3rd November at a cheaper price that at a shop, and the kids would be happier seeing a large scale firework display. :thup:

Excellent advice. I'll probably end up doin that now. Maybe its just a dad thing but I kinda like doing it myself in the garden. Cant really explain it.

if your the sort of person, like i am, who buys fm on release date, your not going to care if your doing something else on that weekday. your not going to think 'well i was going to buy it on realse day, but since i'm going out to see some fireworks i'm not going to bother now'.

those that pre order for release day, or who go out on the day to buy from a shop, are still going to do so, regardless.

Archived