Need a solid tactic for Shef Wed in PL. "Not so good squad"...

As the topic says, I need a solid tactic which works with an average team. Most tactics seem to work with only top players. I am on my second season at Shef Wed, and we are in premier league atm, but with our current form, it won´t last long...The tactic which I got promoted with, just doesn´t seem to work anymore, or at least I lack the quality needed with it.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: version 10.3

As the topic says, I need a solid tactic which works with an average team. Most tactics seem to work with only top players. I am on my second season at Shef Wed, and we are in premier league atm, but with our current form, it won´t last long...The tactic which I got promoted with, just doesn´t seem to work anymore, or at least I lack the quality needed with it.

Thanks in advance!

You probably dont have the quality. However I have seen some people on here say that you may as well attack against the big teams as they will be more open against you. If I was you I would take the money and get relegated. Build a younger but better squad and then get promoted again.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: version 10.3

I am in the exact same situation. I won the Championship with about 16 points to spare over the second-place finisher in the first season, and now it's Premiership time. Basically I would try to do a few things:

1) Bring in faster DCs - Beevers, Purse, and whomever you have as cover, like Hinds-- they're all slow. You'll be eaten alive by quicker players in the Premiership.

2) Get a competant DR - Simek is terrible in the air, and he's the dirtiest player you have in your back line. He led my team in yellow cards last season, and can't win a header to save his life.

3) A moderate defensive line with a ball-winning DMC would probably be effective against most teams, but be wary of fast strikers and 4-3-3 formations-- you'll likely need to setup with a moderately deep defensive line.

3) Hillsborough defaults to a narrow-ish pitch-- if I'm recalling correctly, it's 116x71 yards, which makes it long and narrow. Try to play a narrower formation, such as a 4-1-3-2 with the three midfielders all being MCs.

4) Find another target striker to complement Tudgay. He's your best asset up front, but having another tough, physical striker would be brilliant. I have a Norwegian regen striker who plays off of him quite well, given that he's quite physical and has a high work rate. I don't actually play with a target man enabled, but they tend to be pretty effective.

5) Take the time to setup your set pieces carefully. Having a good aerial player like Beevers attack one of the posts would be effective. I bought a player with 18 jumping and 12 heading-- he wins most of his headers, but they tend to be off-target a lot. However, it's worth it, given that he chips in a fair few goals over the course of each season.

I'd definitely recommend a narrow formation, even if you decide to go with a 4-4-2-- it'll penalize you less, and it works to your strengths at home.

PS - Never worry about relegation. As long as you're sound defensively and play a narrow formation, you should have enough points to stay up comfortably. Just be sure to instill your players with some fighting spirit! Echoes of "I want to see more from you!" should ring through your half-time team talks!

Archived