Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke...what roles would you give them?

They were such a wonderful partnership to watch :)....

What roles do think you would give them based on how they played when they were banging em in for fun?

Personally I would make them both complete forwards :D:D

I'd strongly argue a split striker duet, as Sir Alex Ferguson has done. He's long been on record as saying his 1999 team didn't play 4-4-2, rather it was 4-4-1-1

Andy Cole, more often than not, tended to be the one breaking an offside trap, using his pace down the channels, on the end of through balls (often provided by Yorke), so I would suggest Andy Cole as Poacher (Attack).

Dwight Yorke in a support role, probably as a Deep-Lying Forward.

[video=youtube;gFgqhm-_6iU]

I'd strongly argue a split striker duet, as Sir Alex Ferguson has done. He's long been on record as saying his 1999 team didn't play 4-4-2, rather it was 4-4-1-1

Andy Cole, more often than not, tended to be the one breaking an offside trap, using his pace down the channels, on the end of through balls (often provided by Yorke), so I would suggest Andy Cole as Poacher (Attack).

agree with you. saf doesn't really play 2 out and out ST. 1 of them usually dropped back a little to play in the hole such as cantona and yorke, playing off a target man, hughes and cole .

i would use cole as a target man with ball to feet and yorke, who is more creative and has more flair as a deep-lying forward.

agree with you. they don;t really play 2 out n out ST. 1 of them usually drop back a little to play in the hole such as cantona and yorke, playing off a target man .

i would use cole as a target man with ball to feet and yorke, who is more creative and has more flair as a deep-lying forward.

Maybe Cole as target man, with "run onto ball"? He had great pace and regularly scored the kind of goals where the ball was played in front of him. He didn't have a great first touch though hence I'm not sure about "into feet".

Maybe Cole as target man, with "run onto ball"? He had great pace and regularly scored the kind of goals where the ball was played in front of him. He didn't have a great first touch though hence I'm not sure about "into feet".

yeah that might work better

They were such a wonderful partnership to watch :)....

What roles do think you would give them based on how they played when they were banging em in for fun?

Personally I would make them both complete forwards :D:D

Complete forwards should be capable of everything, Andy Cole was certainly not a complete forward. He was a great poacher. So thats my vote for him. Yorke did have more to his game but he was a hardly a physical Drogba type presence so I couldn't justify complete forward for him either. Deep lying would be my bet.

i would give dwight yorke the role of,,,,person who cant be arsed to see his disabled son

And coolestrock wins the prize for the most random and pointless post of the day :rolleyes:

to say neither of them were spectacular players in their own right they made an amazing partnership and i highly doubt you could emulate that on FM!

I wish I had them so I could try!

I'd sell them and get Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Eidur GudJohnsen instead.

I mean no offence, but are you dillussional? they have never had anywhere near the understanding Yorke and Cole had? they knew ech others game inside out and ALWAYS knew where each other were!, I cant even remember anything noteworthy of that chelsea partnership! did they even win anything together?

I mean no offence, but are you dillussional? they have never had anywhere near the understanding Yorke and Cole had? they knew ech others game inside out and ALWAYS knew where each other were!, I cant even remember anything noteworthy of that chelsea partnership! did they even win anything together?

+1

they were brilliant, i still recall how the duo terrorize defenses in the EPL and europe. the telepathy between the two and their lethal incisiveness were out of this world

what i noticed about andy coles carrer is,, when he was at newcastle he played as an out and out striker,,,,,,his goalscoring record was outsanding which prompted fergie to buy him.

When he went to man u fergie seemed to change cole's style and he started to hold up the ball and play with his back to goal,,,still getting on the end of balls and scoring,,, but didnt seem to be the same out and out striker he was at newcastle.

Shows the difference between Keegan's & SAF's approach to the game. Keegan all gung-ho attack, whereas SAF's view was that his forwards have to contribute to defensive play as well, which in the context of a forward means being able to receive & hold the ball up. In addition, SAF's Man Utd were competing at the highest level of football, the European Champions League, and you can't carry passengers when you're playing at that level.

Thinking back to the OP, in the light of what I've written there and in the light of your post, I'm increasingly thinking Cole = Target Man. I'll stick with Yorke = DFL (support) though.

I certainly wouldn't do a Roy Keane and play him as a DMC as he was used at Sunderland, regardless of his loss of pace and age, his awareness still would have been good enough for him to play up front alongside someone with pace.

Would have to agree with whats been said, yorke was more a deep laying forward/targetman, he would hold the ball up well link up the play and arrive late in the box, cole was more the poacher he would try get inbehind the backline as well as poaching in the box. Was the same with Ole and teddy. teddy the deep laying forward Ole the poacher.

They was both such good players and linked up so well together they would often switch roles as well. But i would say yorke go on the end of crosses more and cole got on the end of through balls and passes more.

I also think andy cole was massivly underated. If it was not for the many bad injurys he got he come have become even better.

"Full Speed Ahead Barcelona!!!"

I certainly wouldn't do a Roy Keane and play him as a DMC as he was used at Sunderland, regardless of his loss of pace and age, his awareness still would have been good enough for him to play up front alongside someone with pace.

In defence of Roy Keane he tried that with Yorke when we first signed him and were still playing in the CCC. He looked too slow for the role by then, admittedly he wasn't helped by the lack of pace around him. If we'd had Darren Bent at the time maybe it would have been different. However, his composure and passing ability were valuable to us when he played in a deep midfield role in the Premiership, in those games and situations where we just needed to keep the ball. Most of our players lacked the technical ability to do that but he was the exception so Keane was, IMO, right to deploy him the way he did.

Archived