England - The Road to 2012 (now featuring Wayne Rooney) but not his touch

jmr

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Capello has confirmed he is to step down after 2012 european championships.

Sort of surprised by this in some ways, I thought if that was his intention we'd hear about it a little closer to Euro 2012. I suppose it gives the FA more time to look for a successor, but it will also be a distraction as there will be speculation from hereon until the day his replacement is announced, probably shortly before the European Championships. It's also a bit of a pain looking ahead to the World Cup, ideally you have a full four years preparation including one major tournament under the same manager before it kicks off, although that might be a bit of a luxury.

Lampard apparently one of the hardest trainers and fittest at Chelsea (saying something). I remember a reporter asking him earlier this season about his age and 'what's the secret' and he just said 'hard work'. You don't catch Lampard rolling out of nightclubs at 3am and seems to take care of himself. Had a few niggles this last season and a bit though it seems but I always maintain players cannot play 50-60 games a season, every game and this not happen to you down the line, all things considered Lampard's injury record is superb.

If they're both fit they'll both play

Sort of surprised by this in some ways, I thought if that was his intention we'd hear about it a little closer to Euro 2012. I suppose it gives the FA more time to look for a successor, but it will also be a distraction as there will be speculation from hereon until the day his replacement is announced, probably shortly before the European Championships. It's also a bit of a pain looking ahead to the World Cup, ideally you have a full four years preparation including one major tournament under the same manager before it kicks off, although that might be a bit of a luxury.

I'm not sure why the press are running with this. It was always gonna be 4 years, Since day one. Capello has said this many times before. It's not even news really.

I'm not sure why the press are running with this. It was always gonna be 4 years, Since day one. Capello has said this many times before. It's not even news really.

Yeah, I suppose so. I'm more surprised by the timing of this announcement - although having said that it probably was more a quick quote to the press than an announcement. He'll be 68 after Euro 2012 as well.

Capello didn't annouce anything though. He was asked a question about when he's leaving and he answered like he had done in the past. I've heard him say plenty of times he was gong to leave after 4 years. He wants to retire and travel the world apparently. Press really can be frustrating. Sky even got a reporter standing outside Wembley discussing this ffs. Capello isn't at Wembley, nobody is :D

I see it looks as though Walcott's a sprained ankle then, hope he's not rushed back for Arsenal a la Rooney last season

I don't think that will be the case as Rooney was trying to rush back because of how important he was to united's success. Plus he was trying to get fit the world cup.

Its unfortunate about walcott though......he had a great start to the season.

Form is irrelevant to my point, I think this is Fabio making an example out of Lennon and he won't be called up again. He completely ignored Woodgate(when he was fit) for some bizarre reason and I reckon this will be another. Walcott, SWP, A.Johnson, Young and Milner will be his wide players.

Personally I'm glad, we had 3 players in the squad for these qualifiers and 2 of them have come back with long term injuries.

I don't know if Capello was there at that point obviously, but The FA Headquaters is (are?) at Wembley.

I think it is now but was Soho Square for ages, always have journos hanging around down the west end waiting for the likes of Sven to come out of a swanky looking office. No doubt they decided to move to Wembley now and pay massive rent for the privilege in an attempt to geneate and justify the cash at Wembley.

Odd place to have a HQ though

What are people's thoughts on the captaincy given the current media kneejerk reaction?

You mean as in 'take it from Rio and give it to Gerrard'?

I am all for making Rio captain but the guy doesn't look like he'll play more than 2 or 3 games in a row. You can't base a team around that for international or club level. I said to a friend the last time (out of the recent 100!) he got injured, seemingly recovered and then got another niggle that I think Rio is a season or two away from being done. I expect after the Euros he will announce his international retirement as club football is his bread and butter and cash, I know he has a lot of off-field stuff going on too.

All this talk about Hargreaves but the person I am worried about is Ferdinand, I really am, just doesn't seem to get right, this back thing has been going on for ages and then it's something else, something else so to make Gerrard permanent captain wouldn't surprise me.

Not sure any fanfare is required but if Rio isn't playing regularly for United anytime soon we're getting into Autumn/Winter then and can we honestly say he's actually even been captain for England? Even last qualifying campaign he and Terry hardly played together, I think Lescott played more qualifiers than him (!) and Ledley King played more Prem games ... when Ledley King is playing more than you something is wrong. King is famous for not being fit yet plays more than Rio ... no one will say anything about Rio's injuries actually threatening his career or at least playing career but jesus, I do worry, Ledley King people, King!! King plays more ... it's just not right :D

No doubt they decided to move to Wembley now and pay massive rent for the privilege in an attempt to geneate and justify the cash at Wembley

They saved a huge amount by leaving Soho Square from what I can remember. It cost millions a year in rent.

True, good point.

Steve Bruce up for managing England in the future.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/7992982/Sam-Allardyce-attacks-Englands-one-man-shortlist-of-Roy-Hodgson.html

Allardyce saying that Hodgson seems to be one man shortlist and you can kind of see his point, it does seem almost confirmed that Wow will take over after Capello so Sam mixing it up a little

'Arry will get the job because the media will make such a massive deal over it the FA will feel pressured to do it, same with Keegan. On the plus side it'll bring him down a peg when he performs the same as all the other England managers and is therefore branded a flop.

Anyone but Allardyce anyway, can't stand the man.

That's going to take time, until then we should try and get the best. Still think it'll be Stuart Pearce though, the FA would love to promote someone they've "trained" into the position to show they are spending and working on coaching young managers etc. Would start supporting someone else if Redknapp or Fat Sam got the job, just disgusting even thinking about that possibility.

I'd love to see a nationality restriction on all staff in international teams tbh, rather than just the players.

Terrible idea, there are loads of smaller nations that would be even worse without foreigners going over and coaching them. Quite a few British people are coaching the smaller nations.

I am not sure about Pearce tbh, maybe they learnt their lesson from McClaren following Sven. I guess it depends on the circumstances though, failure and then Pearce is basically associated with the 'old guard', players and failures, if we did well then maybe he could been seen as continuing the good work. From the start McClaren was always gonna be up against it just cause of the way things ended in disappointment and a sense of 'should have done better with that squad' with Sven

A lot of the smaller nations don't have adequate coaches, should we just let them get worse and worse until they pack it in? Anyway it's never ever going to happen, if National FA's want to set there own rule regarding not signing foreign coaches then fine, but I don't see why it should be a Fifa sanctioned rule.

Not got a problem with foreigners managing national teams but, and this is entirely unjustified, but you kind of expect the major nations to have home grown managers and tbf up until recently they did. It's really only us isn't it, Italy, Germany, Spain, France and so probably wouldn't consider an overseas Manager.

Anyone else see this? Robson and Houghton ... Thailand vs India and an all English affair. Nice

Yeah we obviously lack good managers compared to the rest of the major sides, but if it's a choice between Johny Foreigner and Harry Redknapp/Fat Sam then I'll go for the first choice every single time. No point picking an English manager just because they are English if they aren't good enough (and/or a massive ****). I'd rather just pick the best person available, or atleast try too.

Yeah we obviously lack good managers compared to the rest of the major sides, but if it's a choice between Johny Foreigner and Harry Redknapp/Fat Sam then I'll go for the first choice every single time.

Exactly. :thup:

I'm all for an English manager but not these two. It'll be Steve McClaren all over again and set us back even further. :mad:

Should have just stuck with Sven to be honest and then we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place. :D

If we keep going for Johnny Foreigner then the next level of Big Sam's will never come through or get a chance, no one will ever get a chance.

Maybe we should just look around for the best English Manager and appoint them, if that is 'arry, Big Sam or bloody Les Reed it doesn't matter but let them come in and fail and then maybe the FA will get the message that something needs to be done about coaching and improving coaches and getting more into the game. We can always brush things under the carpet and there's no problem when we have the best Manager in the world in charge.

I think with the Euros after this one it's gonna be impossible to not qualify for the bigger countries so perfect for any old English Manager to qualify us and take us to the tournament, I'll have a go, ffs :D

It's odd how all our potential English Managers are all 'old skool'. Wow, Allardyce, 'arry, they're all big sheepskin coat types even though Allardyce has embraced newer coaching techniques and probably doesn't get any credit for that. Where are the young coaches? It's a shame McClaren has been tarnished. I expect one of the older Managers to get the job, whoever can mobilise their portion of media buddies so probably 'arry and I don't think it'll be as bad as we think.

We're not pulling up daisies atm anyway and I'd expect them qualify, we have a decent set of players

Archived