England - The Road to 2012 (now featuring Wayne Rooney) but not his touch

jmr

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And shifting Gerrard to the left-hand side with Milner suspended. Would be absolutely gutted if he did that.

Didn't Gerrard play on the right at some point for england?

Maybe we have him do that and then have johnson play on the left.

Or maybe capello can grow some, ignore the egos and do what is actually working for the team?

Good win, bit slack for their goal, 10 men, 2-0 up I think we thought it was job done, Gerrard kind of half-heartedly threw a leg out but didn't close the guy down. Hart had a mad few minutes as well but on the whole good win against a side with a supposedly uber tight defence, could have scored more. Glad Rooney scored, oops for Walcott :( and nice for Bent to get one too. Adam Johnson continues to impress as he did before the World Cup just hope he keeps playing for City, full of confidence atm.

With Milner suspended for the next game no doubt Gerrard will be out left again and Lampard/Barry in the middle.

Nice win for Montenegro away to Bulgaria last night as well

Great performance really. So obvious Rooney would score. Awesome (none) celebration.

God, I hope Gerrard doesn't move to the left. Would just seem a big step back. He can play there, but he doesn't want to, and we lose so much of his quality. Duke him out with Lampard. Only one can play, the competition between them should bring the best out of them.

Adam Johnson MOTM really. Was awesome. Hopefully Walcott and Lennon will be in the next squad. One of those to replace Milner.

yeah should cearly be 2 out of Milner, A Johnson, Lennon, Walcott and Young (or SWP if really needed), + Barry and Gerrard or Lampard. Just makes no sense trying to fit them both in, we've looked so much better with proper wide players and Rooney and Defoe have been working well them.

Also allows Rooney to drop a bit deeper centrally if we're getting overrun by a 5 man opposition midfield.

Which is true and I don't expect a similar end to his international career, its just crazy to see how far down SWP has gone in the eyes of supporters

He never came back to us the same player as the one that left for Chelsea, he came back thinking he was some sort of complete all round player who should have time on the ball and create things. He was better when he was simply running at people and shooting from long range/edge of the box, you don't see him score from long range anymore when he was great at it in his first stint with us

I remember when he scored a good goal against Ukraine but I don't recall him being the best winger. Never liked the guy, so easy to defend against him as he's just pace and no trick whatsoever, knock it past the full back and them scamble over or around him as he steps across and invariably go nowhere. Heaven forbid there be more than one person in front of him.

I liked Johnson from his move and seeing him a bit more, confident, looked like he belonged, no fear to speak of and also if you stand him up he can still go past you, either side too.

It's crazy to think how little time has passed since Johnson's move to City and making that step up, what is that 6 or 7 months? Strange what happens when players are given the chance to play isn't it, who else is in the Championship that could make the grade in the Prem let alone the national side in less than a year, chances are someone else is there. Best signing City have made so far, dirt cheap cause of his contract just hope he can carry on playing regularly

The season he signed for Chelsea he was the best right winger in the league easily. He had double figure goals in the PL and got in the PL TOTY, was robbed though for YPOTY by Scott Parker iirc. Chelsea spent £21m on him and they were nothing like we are now, they didn't just go and spend stupid money on someone because they wanted them.

Don't agree that he didn't have any tricks, he was a fantastic dribbler and wasn't just about speed. He was also a good defender and helped the full back alot. He's just simply lost everything which was good about him

You know.....I'm all for Lampard and Gerrard playing together. Capello just needs to beat Lampard or Gerrard into staying back while the other moves forward. And if they can't do that, then Lampard comes off at half time (or gerrard if lamps is playing poorly).

As for the wings.....can walcott play on the left? If so, lets have him play on the left and A.J. on the right.....or vice versa. We could always have SWP play :rolleyes:

I think we have something good going for us up front. Hopefully defoe will be fine. Im glad bent scored.....hopefully he can be useful up top if defoe is hurt.

One thing I would like to say is that I would like to see huddlestone gets some time with the senior side.

Gerrard was playing deep yesterday. I see no reason why he won't do that when Lampard is playing along side him

He wasn't playing that deep, and was playing alongside a deeper player (Barry). He's not gonna play as defensivly/deep as Barry does, and Lampard certainly isn't. Just don't see the poitn of Gerrard + Lampard when Barry + either of them is a better option.

Basically, while Lampard may be one of the best midfielders we have, the team is better without him in it, given that'll he be 34 (??) by the Euros I don't see the issue in reducing his role. It's one thing playing them both against the teams we have in our group but once we get to the Euros and start facing tougher opponents a 34 year old Lamps and 32 year old Gerrard isn't going to be the best midfield paring. Would rather see them only play one at a time, which would also give the likes of Huddlestone, and hopefully Rodwell at some point, a chance in the middle. Infact when Walcott, Lennon, Johnson and Young (depending on form) are all fit Milner becomes a central option too.

I think it's more that we can only play two of Lampard/Gerrard/Rooney, not that we can't play Lampard and Gerrard together. If Rooney gets injured, we could move Gerrard to his position behind the main striker and not need to worry about play Lampard IMO.

yeah, you're probably right TR. I'm just a big Lampard fan.

In fact, I have no qualms with last night's team selection if it keeps getting these results. We also played some really good football last night, against a team who didn't even concede against the world champions

yeah, you're probably right TR. I'm just a big Lampard fan.

In fact, I have no qualms with last night's team selection if it keeps getting these results. We also played some really good football last night, against a team who didn't even concede against the world champions

In fairness to the world champions, the Swiss approached the two games differently. They probably felt they could beat us, whereas they would have thought they'd need the sort of goal they ended up scoring in order to beat Spain.

http://marshall matters.co.uk

Hello people. Im writing a football blog on a site called Tumblr and am just trying to get some more viweres to it. im not spamming or anything just a blog i think people would enjoy reading, and knowing how passionate most of the Fm players are you guys are just the sort of fans id like to attract. im setting up a direct feed on my facebook and also a twitter to get more exposure.

So have a look and if you enjoy message me and ill send you a link to my facebook or twiiter so you can follow or add.

cheers

I think it's more that we can only play two of Lampard/Gerrard/Rooney, not that we can't play Lampard and Gerrard together. If Rooney gets injured, we could move Gerrard to his position behind the main striker and not need to worry about play Lampard IMO.

Perhaps, though personally in such a case I'd rather see Crouch start, though I can understand your point and don't necessarily disagree with it

Perhaps, though personally in such a case I'd rather see Crouch start, though I can understand your point and don't necessarily disagree with it

I think the defoe-rooney thing is going very well at the moment. And I am in the camp of 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' so....

Loads of paper reaction saying Lamps should be worried about being in the starting 11 now.

Well in reality he should be worried. I think that capello might be something really good here and I don't think that just because Lampard's reputation should grant him an automatic starting spot in this team.

We said this after we beat Croatia 4-1 away 2 years ago. Our midfield was Joe Cole, Barry, Lampard and Walcott. Everyone said Gerrard could lose his place. Gerrard should be worried etc. Then we played Belarus and Gerrard was on the left. Considering under Capello, if fit, Lampard and Gerrard have always started. I wont believe it till I see it.

We said this after we beat Croatia 4-1 away 2 years ago. Our midfield was Joe Cole, Barry, Lampard and Walcott. Everyone said Gerrard could lose his place. Gerrard should be worried etc. Then we played Belarus and Gerrard was on the left. Considering under Capello, if fit, Lampard and Gerrard have always started. I wont believe it till I see it.

That was a few years ago. Lampard is how old now?

Also, I think Lampard will probably still walk into the team.....I just think that this shouldn't be the case.

The season he signed for Chelsea he was the best right winger in the league easily. He had double figure goals in the PL and got in the PL TOTY, was robbed though for YPOTY by Scott Parker iirc. Chelsea spent £21m on him and they were nothing like we are now, they didn't just go and spend stupid money on someone because they wanted them.

Parker was brilliant back then. We were 4th in the league, had a real chance of Europe. Beat Chelsea 4-2 on Boxing Day and then they ended up signing him. Had the most tackles in the league from what I can remember, well over 100 I think it was. Our midfield didn't know what to do without him. I looked back the other day we were only something like 9 points off 4th :(

I think Gerrard and Lampard are interchangeable, although Gerrard seems to have notched up a few better performances for country for a while now than Lampard.

I hate that we're too scared to bench big name players though, Spain have no issues having Fabregas, Torres etc. on the bench in the name of team balance.

He's 32, but he's also one of those players where that's not an issue because of his immense fitness. Other issues, sure, but you can't throw his age around as a reason when the alternative is a more injury-prone 30 year-old.

I mean I guess so.....

At the end of the what I say won't really matter because he most likely will start.

Archived