For our strikers like it to be

---------Rooney----

----Defoe----------

Or

-------Crouch------

----Rooney-------- Think these two can interchange

-------Crouch------

----Defoe----------

In desperate times Gerrard as the support striker behind Rooney, Defoe, Crouch.

I think Bent and Carroll can get a look in.

For our strikers like it to be

---------Rooney----

----Defoe----------

Or

-------Crouch------

----Rooney-------- Think these two can interchange

-------Crouch------

----Defoe----------

In desperate times Gerrard as the support striker behind Rooney, Defoe, Crouch.

I think Bent and Carroll can get a look in.

carroll? :D deary me

But that shackles Gerrard from playing his natural game, and he's not a s good as Barry, Huddlestone or Carrick in that holding/quaterback roll

Would rather Gerrard play the deep player maker role then Lampard if those two was to be picked. But really Barry's cover should be Huddlestone and Milner.

Gerrard "Advance playermaker" role should be Lampard, Milner and J Cole.

Yeah, NON-LEAGUE DAY ftw.

Actually tbh, looking at the state of the rest of Europe's big hitters, I think if we keep this up we could definitely be semi final material. France and Portugal are jokes atm, Italy are a mess. Netherlands, Germany and Spain the ones to worry about really.

Actually tbh, looking at the state of the rest of Europe's big hitters, I think if we keep this up we could definitely be semi final material. France and Portugal are jokes atm, Italy are a mess. Netherlands, Germany and Spain the ones to worry about really.

lol, ssshhhhhh.

Nuneaton Town then?

Why not? Good day out! ;)

I've already spent a fair amount on Coventry this season and we have 3 games next week so It's a good chance to save money. I'll go to Nuneaton home games every now and then when Cov are away but not really interested in going to away games for a team I only mildly care about.

I've already spent a fair amount on Coventry this season and we have 3 games next week so It's a good chance to save money. I'll go to Nuneaton home games every now and then when Cov are away but not really interested in going to away games for a team I only mildly care about.

Fair enough. :)

Shame you aren't at home for Non-League Day.

Fair enough. :)

Shame you aren't at home for Non-League Day.

Yeah it's not a case of me being a football snob or anything it's just a case of I don't fancy the financial outlay to go to an away game. I mean I'm used to pretty dire football from Coventry tbh :D.

• Administrators
With regards to Gerrard and Lamps in the centre. Gerrard needs that discipline to stay back and cover Lampard while he bombs forward like he does for Chelsea. Otherwise I don't think Lamps/Gerrard combo will work.

It's been the other way around for England for absolutely ages now and it's why Lampard isn't as effective as he is for Chelsea. Capello obviously wants to use a player of his quality but at the same time limits what he does by asking him to play for the team. Which he does, but to expect him to excel in an unfamiliar role is asking a bit much, and is why his performances for England haven't been a) consistent or b) great.

That said, he's not been totally bad at it, I remember the praise he got for the Croatia away performance. But it's definitely Lampard holding whilst Gerrard goes off where he likes and rarely the other way around.

You barely beat slovenia (okay it was a dominating performance but it was just 1:0, couldn't beat algeria and USA, and you are thinking about Netherland, Germany and Spain are the ones to worry about. I'd more worry about belgium, ukraine and the likes.

Just like the WC qualifiers

Beating a poor team by a flattering scoreline - papering over the cracks

Your not wrong, so many games in the last two years I've been too I just haven't seen an opposition show anything. Not sure if it's Wembley stage fright or what, but the idea there are no easy games is flat out wrong. Having said that England were decent tonight, Walcott aside.

I'm glad Joe Hart has obviously acquired that experience he was so clearly lacking 3 months ago that meant he wasn't suitable to be number 1. :/

It's been the other way around for England for absolutely ages now and it's why Lampard isn't as effective as he is for Chelsea. Capello obviously wants to use a player of his quality but at the same time limits what he does by asking him to play for the team. Which he does, but to expect him to excel in an unfamiliar role is asking a bit much, and is why his performances for England haven't been a) consistent or b) great.

That said, he's not been totally bad at it, I remember the praise he got for the Croatia away performance. But it's definitely Lampard holding whilst Gerrard goes off where he likes and rarely the other way around.

Which is how it should be in that Gerrard is a more dynamic and more talented footballer, however its clear that both cannot play together in a 4-4-2 formation, its tough on lampard as he is a good player, its just Gerrard is better and there is only room for one player of their ilk in the team. Lampard should be benched.

I don't why in every single thread that we win people come out with the "We're gonna win the World Cup!!1!" as if this will be the media reaction or the fans reaction when it clearly won't be and isn't :/

Can't knock that victory, people talk of 'qualifying easily' but look at the ropey results around Europe. Of course, I don't think we've ever beaten a good team. The last campaign our group had Croatia again who, according the the media and fans were ffffffb as they knocked out an appalling England side the campaign before. After hammering them and getting past Ukraine too we suddenly find that this group was weak and that's why we got to the World Cup so easily.

This week of games was 'tricky' and we need 4 points (which we may still not get) otherwise Capello is in trouble and win it and now Bulgaria are also rubbish and this group has become easy. Go figure.

Was a top win, nice to get some goals, think some of the others can all take points off each other anyway, hope we get at least a point from the Swiss but hopefully more. Ashley Cole was superb, Walcott did ok, Johnson did great, Johnson Glen really doesn't inspire confidence, seems out of position a lot but we really don't have another right back :/

We were largely in control of the game without ever really grabbing it by the scruff of the next. Nice to see Rooney creating again, lovely weighted balls, especially for our 4th. Anyone else think Adam Johnson curled that one and missed and minutes later shaped for the same and then went inside, maybe kind of fooling the keeper a bit as he caught him inside post. If so, smart play.

Anyway, can't knock it really, lacked a bit of pace sometimes, had the ball and then there's times we could inject some pace in attack but didn't really do it. They still had a few snifters, some ropey defending again, Jagielka wrong side that time, poor touch meant he could make the tackle and Dawson, obviously told to, trying to win the ball higher up the pitch but not close to it so they slipped in, I am sure we'll work on that.

I prefer the 2nd game of these double-headers as I always feel Capello has had more time to work with the team, I am sure we always play better in the 2nd game. Considering the injuries, the World Cup and the pressure there's not too much to moan about.

Top win for the U21s as well :thup:

Deltaroad running his mouth off about the merits of 4-4-2 because we steam rollered a poor team, much the same as we did in the quals for the world cup. We are not good enough to play 4-4-2 in the latter stages of a tournament, especially with one of maybe both of gerrard and lampard playing and emptying the middle of the park.

I dont think 4-4-2 is a realistic formation against the top teams, even domestically and in the champions league 4-4-2 is generally a non starter against good teams, I think we should be building a variation of 4-5-1 now in order to prepare for the tournament itself.

Jermain Defoe did nothing last night other than cement his reputation as a flat track bully, he is too one dimensional to be effective against top teams. Always has been always will be.

I wouldn't mind seeing us do something different but hopefully we will over the next year or so, I think for these games though, with the pull outs and the pressures to start off well maybe now was not the time for a Barry/Carrick in front of the back 4 and then 3, etc etc but we should do something different in friendlies.

I don't why in every single thread that we win people come out with the "We're gonna win the World Cup!!1!" as if this will be the media reaction or the fans reaction when it clearly won't be and isn't :/

Can't knock that victory, people talk of 'qualifying easily' but look at the ropey results around Europe. Of course, I don't think we've ever beaten a good team. The last campaign our group had Croatia again who, according the the media and fans were ffffffb as they knocked out an appalling England side the campaign before. After hammering them and getting past Ukraine too we suddenly find that this group was weak and that's why we got to the World Cup so easily.

This week of games was 'tricky' and we need 4 points (which we may still not get) otherwise Capello is in trouble and win it and now Bulgaria are also rubbish and this group has become easy. Go figure.

Was a top win, nice to get some goals, think some of the others can all take points off each other anyway, hope we get at least a point from the Swiss but hopefully more. Ashley Cole was superb, Walcott did ok, Johnson did great, Johnson Glen really doesn't inspire confidence, seems out of position a lot but we really don't have another right back :/

We were largely in control of the game without ever really grabbing it by the scruff of the next. Nice to see Rooney creating again, lovely weighted balls, especially for our 4th. Anyone else think Adam Johnson curled that one and missed and minutes later shaped for the same and then went inside, maybe kind of fooling the keeper a bit as he caught him inside post. If so, smart play.

Anyway, can't knock it really, lacked a bit of pace sometimes, had the ball and then there's times we could inject some pace in attack but didn't really do it. They still had a few snifters, some ropey defending again, Jagielka wrong side that time, poor touch meant he could make the tackle and Dawson, obviously told to, trying to win the ball higher up the pitch but not close to it so they slipped in, I am sure we'll work on that.

I prefer the 2nd game of these double-headers as I always feel Capello has had more time to work with the team, I am sure we always play better in the 2nd game. Considering the injuries, the World Cup and the pressure there's not too much to moan about.

Top win for the U21s as well :thup:

Great post.

Which is how it should be in that Gerrard is a more dynamic and more talented footballer, however its clear that both cannot play together in a 4-4-2 formation, its tough on lampard as he is a good player, its just Gerrard is better and there is only room for one player of their ilk in the team. Lampard should be benched.

I agree. :thup:

I wouldn't mind seeing us do something different but hopefully we will over the next year or so, I think for these games though, with the pull outs and the pressures to start off well maybe now was not the time for a Barry/Carrick in front of the back 4 and then 3, etc etc but we should do something different in friendlies.

With Milner, Walcott, Johnson, Young, Lennon all to varying degrees capable of playing the 'AMR/AML' role we have two years to build a cogent system with one front man, thats also not taking into account that over the next two years some other players will no doubt emerge as candidates for selection.

I really dont see the point in playing 4-4-2 now when we cant play that way in the latter rounds of a tournament. I would much rather have a scrappy 1-0 win at this stage whilst working on a new system rather than a 4-0 win that papers over the same cracks that existed at the world cup.

Cant work out whether this is hilarious through intent or stupidity........

Nope it's true. He's a better all round passer then Gerrard, has a better footballing brain and has averaged 20 goals a season from midfield over the past 6/7 seasons. Not saying Gerrard is rubbish, just Lampard is better.

Archived