England - The Road to 2012 (now featuring Wayne Rooney) but not his touch

jmr

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giving that Hodgson has hinted towards a 4-4-2 for the Euros, I think it's a toss-up between Carroll and Welbeck to play alongside Young. Both are vastly inexperienced on the international stage so it would be a massive risk if both were to start alongside each other. I’d give the nod to Carroll at this stage but Welbeck will get his chance to impress against Belgium.

In midfield, Parker and Gerrard are nailed down starters whilst there aren’t many options on the wings if Young is to play down the middle. The best option outside of Young on the left is Downing, IMO. I’d give Milner the nod over Walcott for his defensive ability. Walcott has been on decent form for Arsenal this season but he’s too inconsistent for a starting place. I’m surprised Aaron Lennon or Adam Johnson didn’t make the squad.

I don't get this 'pick this winger because he's better defensively!' thing, as if we're not already going to be defensive enough under hodgson. just typical england.

it should be walcott or ox on the right.

Yeah, you need wingers who are actually going to offer you something going forward.

At the risk of reopening the age-old Gerrard/Lampard debate, I would go with:

Carroll
Young    Gerrard    Walcott
    Parker     Lampard

Not ideal, but can't see any better options with the players we have available. Gerrard has played that support role behind the striker plenty of times for England (although I can still never fully cope with the sight of him in the number 10 shirt). Bit of pace down the wings, and with both Parker and Lampard sitting deep the rest might have the confidence to go forward rather than looking for constant sideways passes.

Rather Carroll up top on his own, than Young pushed up and playing more centrally with Downing brought in.

I don't get this 'pick this winger because he's better defensively!' thing, as if we're not already going to be defensive enough under hodgson. just typical england.

it should be walcott or ox on the right.

We need to realise where our strengths lie, and they do not lie in attacking. We need to choose a certain philosophy and go with it. We have great potential to be a very good defensive minded/tactically astute team that's hard to play against. We have to go with a certain plan, rather than not really be sure of what we are, which is how it's been for as long as I've been watching England.

they don't lie in attacking because we never try. we're too stuck in our ways and lack creativity/freedom of any sort. our idea of creativity is 'releasing' attacking midfield powerhouse steven gerrard and playing him in the hole. surely we have enough basically fast players to play a more open, counter attacking game. the problem is the mentality, and now the manager, so it won't happen and it will be boring and predictable for the forseeable future.

Would love to see us be brave and start Theo, The Ox and Young behind Welbeck.

Then who do you bring on if you're chasing the game? Those four are the only ones with any pace at all. Got to leave a couple on the bench.

Then who do you bring on if you're chasing the game? Those four are the only ones with any pace at all. Got to leave a couple on the bench.

why is the first thing you think of being chasing the game? typical negative england mentality again.

what if we're losing? what if we've got too many fast players? what if ox is 18? what if what if what if.

yeah Gerrard instead of Lampard is fine. Not ideal, but fine.

And yeah I'm leaving in a dream world. We wont be brave. The only bravery we have in the squad is from our brave lionheart John Terry.

And that's a problem Rob. One that could have been solved by making sure Aaron Lennon was in the squad, even Adam Johnson who I'm not a big fan of. Although what Crazy said too.

Why cant Wilshere be fit? :(

At the risk of reopening the age-old Gerrard/Lampard debate, I would go with:

Carroll
Young    Gerrard    Walcott
    Parker     Lampard

Not ideal, but can't see any better options with the players we have available. Gerrard has played that support role behind the striker plenty of times for England (although I can still never fully cope with the sight of him in the number 10 shirt). Bit of pace down the wings, and with both Parker and Lampard sitting deep the rest might have the confidence to go forward rather than looking for constant sideways passes.

Rather Carroll up top on his own, than Young pushed up and playing more centrally with Downing brought in.

That is certainly a more attacking line-up than the one I suggested, however I just don't see Hodgson being brave enough. Maybe if Harry Redknapp was manager we would see a team like that.:D

A lot will depend on how he sets his team up against Belgium because with a full squad we will get a better insight into his game plan. Going off that Norway game though, I can see a lot more caution in his midfield.

I think it makes more sense to start with wingers who can play sensibly for 90 minutes, that is being able to put in a shift, be defensive when needed and be able to retain possession. Then bring on some game changers later on if needed.

Downing and Milner makes more sense as starting wingers than Johnson, Walcott, Lennon, Ox because of that. Neither are as awful going forward as people are making out, they are versatile, experienced and have good footballing brains.

why is the first thing you think of being chasing the game? typical negative england mentality again.

what if we're losing? what if we've got too many fast players? what if ox is 18? what if what if what if.

It isn't a typical England mentality at all though. We haven't had any sort of mentality for a while now

Maybe against Belgium but Gerrard is captain so his position is locked in, which is a concern

Yeah briefly forgot about that when posting but still think he may be rested v Belguim. Just hope we don't go with 'those two' in the midfield in the euro's. Ugh. Unless its as Rob suggested.

Any idea what time Barry is having his scan? Roy will have to make a decision on him today, UEFA have to have the squad list tomorrow.

If he doesn't make it, apparently Jagielka is set to take his place.

Just making it up as we go along, replacing him with someone that doesn't even play in the same position. :(

Any idea what time Barry is having his scan? Roy will have to make a decision on him today, UEFA have to have the squad list tomorrow.

If he doesn't make it, apparently Jagielka is set to take his place.

Just making it up as we go along, replacing him with someone that doesn't even play in the same position. :(

Jones to be a midfielder then. I'll be please if Jags went. Deserves to go. Maybe not at the expense of a midfielder though

oh the footballing brain cliches are coming out now :D. 'Footballing brains', the most pointless sports phrase ever? I think so.

Well it basically boils down to decision making, some players are better than others. You can call is a cliche or pointless all you want but nearly everyone in the business talks about it.

Would love to see us be brave and start Theo, The Ox and Young behind Welbeck. Parker and Lampard in the middle.

Will never happen as Hodgson decided that Gerrard should be captain.

I watched the full 90 of France-Iceland last night, you'd absolutely destroy them with that front four. Mexes and Rami are allergic to pace, Evra spent most of the 90 minutes completely invisible and Debuchy is the only defender actually worthy of the tag judging by that game. As soon as the ball was played over the top or into the channels the French defenders were nowhere to be seen. Walcott and Chamberlain would have a field day if played against that defense, even more so if you just pack the team into your own half and play on the break

Of course intelligence on the field is an important skill :D.

And where have I said that it wasn't? How do you define a 'footballing brain'? Because most people say that Theo Walcott doesn't have one, but he makes great runs that take an understanding of football. Then you've got Wayne Rooney who can pick a pass. Or someone like Rio Ferdinand who can read the game so well.

A footballing brain is just a really lazy phrase people use to talk up skilful, creative players and to belittle players who dont have those attributes. It's a phrase used by people to make it seem like they know what they are talking about.

Wayne Rooney has a good brain. Not a footballing one. It's just that his brain is better used for sports and not for maths.

A footballing brain is just a really lazy phrase people use to talk up skilful, creative players and to belittle players who dont have those attributes.

I've never heard it used in that context. I've only ever heard when referring to a player's ability to read the game and make good decisions etc. Not to do with skill or creativity which are a completely different set of attributes.

You hear people like Benitez talking about players with great footballing brains, clearly he's just trying to impress people with buzzwords to make it sound like he knows what he's on about.

And where have I said that it wasn't? How do you define a 'footballing brain'? Because most people say that Theo Walcott doesn't have one, but he makes great runs that take an understanding of football. Then you've got Wayne Rooney who can pick a pass. Or someone like Rio Ferdinand who can read the game so well.

A footballing brain is just a really lazy phrase people use to talk up skilful, creative players and to belittle players who dont have those attributes. It's a phrase used by people to make it seem like they know what they are talking about.

Wayne Rooney has a good brain. Not a footballing one. It's just that his brain is better used for sports and not for maths.

What CP said, basically. I've never used it to describe a creative player, although the two often go hand in hand (ie Iniesta). Mikel, Busquets, Mascherano, Makelele all have good 'footballing brains' despite not being particularly creative

I watched the full 90 of France-Iceland last night, you'd absolutely destroy them with that front four. Mexes and Rami are allergic to pace, Evra spent most of the 90 minutes completely invisible and Debuchy is the only defender actually worthy of the tag judging by that game. As soon as the ball was played over the top or into the channels the French defenders were nowhere to be seen. Walcott and Chamberlain would have a field day if played against that defense, even more so if you just pack the team into your own half and play on the break

I agree with this. I think France are very overrated. They were missing someone like M'Vila/Alou Diarra in the middle, who I'm sure will start ahead of Gourcuff and make them a bit harder to break down, but still. England should be beating them.

The problem, as always, is keeping the ball. France still did that relatively well last night.

I agree with this. I think France are very overrated. They were missing someone like M'Vila/Alou Diarra in the middle, who I'm sure will start ahead of Gourcuff and make them a bit harder to break down, but still. England should be beating them.

The problem, as always, is keeping the ball. France still did that relatively well last night.

Having a destroyer in midfield won't cover up the huge holes in their defending. It was seriously as easy as a ball over the top or down the channels. We should have made it 3-1 with another such break but the keeper saved them and kept them in it at that point.

I wouldn't be surprised if Koscielny is France's first choice by the time the tournament comes round. Mexes is really poo. His haircut is terrible as well.

Their attacking force is much better than ours however. Benzema/Ribery/Menez/Ben Arfa/Nasri/Giroud are all better than what we have (minus Rooney).

Surprised Carroll is considered a starter by literally everyone. Not just because he's not actually very good but if we are trying to get the best out of Rooney then it makes every bit of sense to play his partner at club level with him at international level. If fit then Welbeck surely has to start? If he is fit to play against Belgium then I'd be shocked if he doesn't play his way into the starting line up. I don't see any arguement at all where Carroll deserves to start (Even though he did quite well Saturday night).

Hart

Jones Terry Cahill Cole

Ox Parker Gerrard Young

Rooney

Welbeck

That would be my team when everyone is fit and available. Personally I'd have Lampard over Gerrard but that clearly isn't going to happen. I'd replace Lampard for Rooney and shuffle Gerrard behind Welbeck for the first two games. Also doubt Chamberlain will start so it will probably be Milner instead.

Archived