England - The Road to 2012 (now featuring Wayne Rooney) but not his touch

jmr

@Captain Planet' date=' if all the supporter did was sit down and shut up, the game would be all the more mundane.[/quote']

Yes, the supporters all sat around moaning about how rubbish our players are and how tactically inept the manager is, in the lead up to every single tournament for the last 20 years is a much better way to enjoy being a football fan.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what does that even mean? might as well just throw him in, nothing to lose imo. people said the same about thomas muller two years ago, and that was an ever bigger stage.

I just cannot take these old guys that have messed it up so many times already.

The way I see it, Stewart Downing definitely won't make a (positive) difference in any match, but Oxlade-Chamberlain, and Walcott for that matter, might. You're increasing your chances from 0% to something more than 0% by playing The Ox and Walcott.

Yes, the supporters all sat around moaning about how rubbish our players are and how tactically inept the manager is, in the lead up to every single tournament for the last 20 years is a much better way to enjoy being a football fan.

Far from moaning, its a valid point of debate, England have forever been followers never pioneers. Never the architects of our own destiny, but willing employers of the blueprints of others, followed to a tee, despite the glaringly obvious differences in personnel.

I'm an England fan, i'm not an unrealistic fan who believes we have a gluttony of world class players and saw anything other than stainless steel in our so-called 'Golden Generation', but one who believes we do ourselves no favours. We have never played to our strengths through fair of steering off the path of conformity. Dare we be different. Why do we offer excuses for ours players and bubble wrap them inside their comfort zones. Lampard cant play with Gerrard, who sits, who goes? Cole to protect Baines at one point in the ever so adventurous 4-4-2, seriously. Downing ahead of Johnson because he tracks back more, Jones ahead of the more attack minded Micah Richards, because he can play centre-half too. Fear is rife in everything we do.

The mentality in England is just wrong. They will never win anything as long as players like Carrick get overlooked.

Martin Jol: "Carrick, who yesterday signed a new four-year deal, is United’s master-mind because he often wins back possession with his interceptions and gets the ball upfield quickly, passing into areas where his attackers are moving. He makes the hardest pass in football - the forward ball - look easy. When I had him at Spurs, every attack started with him and he was the reason we should have got into the Champions League after holding fourth place for seven months in 2005-06. Since he went to United they have won the title twice. Ferguson shares my opinions about his quality, even if others in England underrate him. He sees, he passes, and hits the ball with the right speed into the right area for his teammate. It’s a sudden flash of inspiration in his brain. It’s genius. United can play in all styles, but their most effective is the fast counter. Moves often start with Michael Carrick making an interception and playing a quick ball forward. The quality of Carrick’s passing helps him exploit the movement of Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez."

Xabi Alonso: "s. In English football sometimes it seems hard for people to rate those who instead of shining themselves make the team work as a collective. For example, Michael Carrick is a player who makes those around him play, regardless of the fact that maybe he is not the player that shines the most individually. 'It is more important to find players who can build a team rather than simply finding two very good players and putting them in the team even if they don't play so well together."

Xavi Hernandez: ""Carrick gives United balance and can play defensively, too, He passes well, has a good shot and is a complete player."

Carrick has been fantastic this season and is exactly what England need, considering we can't even string 3 passes together at times. Very frustrating really......

Or just maybe, the professionals in charge know better than the fans?

That's the best thing about supporter opinions, so strongly convinced that the highly paid professionals are doing it all wrong.

Well people like Steve Kean and Alex McCleish(however you spell it) and King Kenny make you wonder....

Or just maybe, the professionals in charge know better than the fans?

That's the best thing about supporter opinions, so strongly convinced that the highly paid professionals are doing it all wrong.

The fans dont know better, but what they do have is freedom of thought. The fan can talk free from the burden of following trends and playing it safe. Hodgson has done exactly what was expected, nothing new. 4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1 to follow and then a bludgeoning by the media on why neither formation was right for England. Fact is, we're playing the same old song, over and over. Without change, the produce will always be the same. Hodgson's put on the seatbelt and pushed the gear stick into first.

The not taking ferdinand thing seems weird if indeed it's for the reasons hodgson has given, i.e.:

"I would be lying if that [the ability to play matches close together] was the major reason for not selecting him.

"It was purely on other footballing reasons.

"I admire Rio Ferdinand as a player. I think he's a fine footballer and I respect him, but I had to pick a squad with defenders I wanted to take to the Euros."

He says it's not due to the number of matches close together so I can't see what footballing reasons he would have for not taking him. odd.

I personally think Rio stuck to his principles and I don't blame him either.

I hope we line up like this. **(But think it will be more with brackets)**

--------------------Hart-----------

Johnson----Terry----Lesscott-----Cole

--------Parker------------Gerrard (Berry)-----------

Walcott---------Rooney(Gerrard)-----------Young

------------------Welbeck (Rooney)-----------

This team would beat that England squad.

Mark Bresciano, Alex Brosque, Tim Cahill, David Carney, Nathan Coe (GK), Adam Federici (GK), Chris Herd, Brett Holman, Mile Jedinak, Joshua Kennedy, Harry Kewell, Neil Kilkenny, Robbie Kruse, Matt McKay, Mark Milligan, Lucas Neill, Jade North, Sasa Ognenovski, Nikita Rukavytsa, Mark Schwarzer (GK), Matt Spiranovic, Archie Thompson, Carl Valeri, Luke Wilkshire, Rhys Williams, Michael Zullo.

Mark Bresciano, Alex Brosque, Tim Cahill, David Carney, Nathan Coe (GK), Adam Federici (GK), Chris Herd, Brett Holman, Mile Jedinak, Joshua Kennedy, Harry Kewell, Neil Kilkenny, Robbie Kruse, Matt McKay, Mark Milligan, Lucas Neill, Jade North, Sasa Ognenovski, Nikita Rukavytsa, Mark Schwarzer (GK), Matt Spiranovic, Archie Thompson, Carl Valeri, Luke Wilkshire, Rhys Williams, Michael Zullo.

Maybe at cricket.

Haha. We might be rubbish but we aren't that rubbish

Isn't he the guy who used to cream 5 past American Samoa/Kiribati/the other Oceanian minows every game but never score against anybody decent?

13 goals in one match against American Samoa :cool: the other teams he scored against were Togna, Samoa, Jamaica, Bahrain and the Solomon Islands.

England's depth in goal is terrible, behind Hart.

Whereas your second choice goalkeeper is Adam Federici, roughly on the level of Alex McCarthy who wasn't even first choice for the U21s.

I mean seriously WTF is Downing doing there.

Part of Roy's evil master plan, picking the worst players so he'll get only half the blame

Probably revenge on the scousers as well. Not that Downing can actually feel worse after f*uckin up in the national team as well

I'm going just to England v Sweden in Kiev. Not bothering with the two games in Donetsk, looks like a craphole and a real ballache get to. When I last looked at it seriously and decided which games to book (maybe late March or thereabouts), they still didn't know whether the new fast trains would be running or not and it was impossible to pre-book.

Apparently we've only sold 2,000 for Donetsk and 3,000 for Kiev (out of an allocation of about 8,000).

Also read this morning that the new airport terminal in Kiev won't be finished in time. It has to be seen to be used because it's been built specifically for the Euros, so the players will all come through the new bit and have their photos taken, but the actual passport/security stuff will happen across the road in the old building and the fans will just go through there.

That's according to posts by England fans living out in Kiev and Dnipropetrovsk.

How do ticket sales work, Rob? What happens to that 5k that haven't been sold? I'm registered on the official UEFA ticket site but found it horribly unclear and could never actually buy tickets through it.

I am in the England fan club, so I've bought tickets through the FA out of their official allocation. The 5k that they have left unsold just go back to UEFA. FA will only sell to members because (in theory at least) we have all been vetted and security checked and aren't likely to go abroad and do over any Johnny Foreigners.

But at the same time UEFA have been selling tickets direct to the public in a general sale. I suspect the 5k that the FA return will end up on their website for anybody to pick up.

You have to have a login for UEFA's ticket sales portal (which I believe reopened yesterday), then just keep an eye on what's available for which games. Certainly not too late to get them - as and when sponsors, national FAs etc. return tickets that they don't need or haven't sold, then those leftover just go up online first come first served. There are also a few travel companies running trips with flight and ticket included (Thomson Sport, Thomas Cook etc.) although you will pay through the nose. I've got a four-day trip to Kiev all in for about £550 (albeit with an indirect flight and a bit of messing about to get there); I believe Thomson's two-night package was about £1100 and they're even staying in the same hotel :D

To be fair to Carrick and I am not even a Carrick fan. He's been the most inform, consistent English midfielder this season. Certainly worthy over selection over the likes of Barry, Gerrard and Lampard who are likely to start.

Ideally should be Carrick and Parker in midfield.

To be performing that well and be subbed to the bench becuase your not a household name does take the biscuit.

Archived