England - The Road to 2012 (now featuring Wayne Rooney) but not his touch

jmr

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the Rodwell of lately not the one of 2/3 seasons ago which they used to churn that line out for imo

He's closer to a Gerrard type for me rather than any kind of defensive player, not sure where he'll end up but it used to bloody annoy me that whatever he did the centre back line would come out. Burst through the defence and hit a shot from the edge of the box and score and it'll be like "fantastic ... he's gonna be great bursting from defence when he's a centre back' :D when I am like Noooooo just let him develop and stop drumming this centre back thing into him.

I swear some of his early performances were tinged with this. He'd maybe have a decent game in the middle but give the ball away a couple of times and then it'd be 'not sure he'll make a good centre back' sort of 'bah, he won't make it' rather than looking at it from another side of things and he a good game in the middle :D

I think you need to go read both the posts then.

What we were discussing is the way English football doesn't produce certain types of players with the point that Wilshere will end up a heart on the sleeve energy type player as we are fond of pigeon-holing players. In my reply I agreed and added Rodwell to that group of players (along with the mentioned Adam Johnson) as someone that we can't just let develop, we started pigeon-holing him from an early age as a 'future centre back' and 'the next Rio'.

Trust me, this was trotted out all the time and it's relevant to the exchange me and guv'nor had that you totally got the wrong end of the stick of and have forced me to explain it in two posts now when you can just read what was written as it's pretty clear :)

You're twisting your words now. :mad:

as opposed to the 'av summa' daaaaat' centreback he'll be once we have our wicked way with him.

I think he's moved far away from that now that even the usual sources don't go on about it as much or perhaps it's just cause he's been out

Micah Richards has spoken of his disappointment at missing out on a place in England’s European Championships, but wished the Three Lions success at the tournament in Poland the Ukraine.

After being recalled by caretaker boss Stuart Pearce for the recent friendly with Holland and acquitting himself well, Richards, who was shortlisted for the Club’s Player of the Year Award this season, had hoped to be part of the 23-man party this summer.

"Of course my initial reaction is to be gutted but a manager is there to pick a squad and he cannot pick everyone," he said.

"No one will be cheering louder than me for England when the championships start. My really good mates from City and other clubs will be playing and of course I want my country to win.

Richards, who started 31 league and cup games for the Blues this season and in doing so took his career tally to 210, will now have a well-earned rest before pre-season.

"I will take myself off on holiday and come back refreshed and ready to start again next season," he concluded.

"There is so much to look forward to starting with City’s trip to China and Malaysia and then the Community Shield match against Chelsea. We are defending the Premier League title and we will be ready to be competitive in the Champions League.

"Hopefully I will play my share of those games and will be selected for the England squad at some time in the future."

You're probably in the minority. Gerrard has never been consistantly good for England, even when he's had great seasons at Liverpool. And now he's not even playing well for Liverpool. So when you add those two things together why would you want him to start every game?

As for wanting to see Downing and Carroll play together. Just why? There is not a single reason to want to see Downing play a minute of football in the Euro's. And, Carrolls ability aside, playing him means we will yet again be playing hoof ball, which we've proved time and time again doesn't work.

I'm just hoping that by playing together they might find some form ahead of next season. :)

England's best team according to EPL Index(opta stats basically)

(4-4-2) Hart; Johnson, Rio, Lescott, Baines; Lennon, Gerrard, Scholes, A.Johnson; Rooney, Holt

or

(4-3-3) Hart; Johnson, Rio, Lescott, Baines; Carrick, Scholes; Lennon, Gerrard, A.Johnson; Rooney

How does the squad look compared to the WC 2010 squad?

GK: Hart, Green, Ruddy vs. Hart, Green, James

DF: Baines, Cole, Cahill, Lescott, Terry, Johnson, Jones vs. Warnock, Cole, Upson, Ferdinand, Terry, King, Johnson, Carragher

MF: Downing, Young, Barry, Parker, Gerrard, Lampard, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott vs. Cole, Barry, Carrick, Gerrard, Lampard, Milner, SWP, Lennon

FW: Carroll, Defoe, Rooney, Welbeck vs. Crouch, Defoe, Rooney, Heskey

Should have taken Adam Johnson and rio, Terry should no way be going, glad to see

Defoe in the squad though, he's a good finisher, better than the Carroll and welbeck, possibly even Rooney in the area, although pretty useless out of it.

Disappointed with some of the selections but really it's arguing between two average players in most of the cases and wouldn't make much difference to how far they get. It's just depressing looking at the England squad compared to the top nations in the tournament.

With dropping a defender for an extra midfielder I expect Roy will look for a 4-5-1/4-3-3 system with Carroll leading the line in the absence of Rooney. Something like: Hart, Johnson, Terry, Cahill, Cole, Parker, Lampard, Gerrard, Walcott, Young, Carroll.

Hart to get injured, Ruddy to have a horror show leading to our exit from the tournament and newspaper back pages all to go with "Ruddy-Hell" as the headline.

Maybe a few puns about a 'Green' Keeper playing instead of Green too?

agree with nearly everything this guv'nor guy has said in here. anyway, first game I'd like to see:

hart

johnson

cahill

terry

cole

parker

lampard

ox

walcott

young

welbeck

but gerrard will play cos he's captain and someone dull will play instead of ox.

agree with nearly everything this guv'nor guy has said in here. anyway, first game I'd like to see:

hart

johnson

cahill

terry

cole

parker

lampard

ox

walcott

young

welbeck

but gerrard will play cos he's captain and someone dull will play instead of ox.

I dont think The Ox is ready to start yet. Gerrard in for him is how I hope/expect that we will line up. Maybe Barry for Lampard. If only Wilshere was fit :(

@Crazy T, its so disappointing, English football is going nowhere, we're blindly following a formula that has delivered nothing for over a decade. We're the perennial cowards, afraid of change, scared to be pioneers, forever happy to be followers. Another generation will be wasted following the lead of teams playing to their strengths, whilst we haplessly ignore ours.

@Crazy T' date=' its so disappointing, English football is going nowhere, we're blindly following a formula that has delivered nothing for over a decade. We're the perennial cowards, afraid of change, scared to be pioneers, forever happy to be followers. Another generation will be wasted following the lead of teams playing to their strengths, whilst we haplessly ignore ours.[/quote']

And as supporters we can't change it, so why not try and enjoy what we can out of it instead of moaning about something outside of our control?

I dont think The Ox is ready to start yet. Gerrard in for him is how I hope/expect that we will line up. Maybe Barry for Lampard. If only Wilshere was fit :(

what does that even mean? might as well just throw him in, nothing to lose imo. people said the same about thomas muller two years ago, and that was an ever bigger stage.

I just cannot take these old guys that have messed it up so many times already.

@Crazy T' date=' its so disappointing, English football is going nowhere, we're blindly following a formula that has delivered nothing for over a decade. We're the perennial cowards, afraid of change, scared to be pioneers, forever happy to be followers. Another generation will be wasted following the lead of teams playing to their strengths, whilst we haplessly ignore ours.[/quote']

exactly, and hiring someone like hodgson is typical of that. no invention, no change, and no hope beyond this tournament or even in time for the world cup. quite sad, really.

@Captain Planet, if all the supporter did was sit down and shut up, the game would be all the more mundane. Once upon a time a supporter wrote a critique of his teams performance and posted it to the manager. Impressed with his writings, he was offered an apprenticeship of some sort at the club. Fast forward a decade and more and that same fan lifted the league and UEFA cup for his club...before being fired by Chelsea! Lol.

Archived