• Last Reply

Anyone think we should send the Ox.

Here's mine

GK - Hart + 2GK

DF - Richards, Walker, Cole, Baines, Ferdinand, Terry, Cahill, Lescott

MF - Barry, Parker, Carrick, Gerrard, Lampard,

WF - Oxlade-Chamberlaine, Lennon, Johnson, Young

FW - Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge

I've gone a straight two players for each position in defence. 3 'holding/possession' type centre mids. Gerrard and/or Lampard as a roving box to box type player. Enough options on the wing to play either traditional or inverted (granted I only have Johnson as a traditional left winger (and I'm not counting Sturridge as that as he'd be gash there) but I couldn't bring myself to include Downing). I've only gone 3 forwards as there isn't any other type that I would want and I don't want us to resort to hoofball (ha!)

We all know Hodgson loves a 4-4-2 though so it won't be anything like this.

I'd take:

GK: Hart + 2 others

Defenders: Richards, Walker, Lescott, Jagielka, Cahill, Jones, Baines, Cole

Midfielders: Carrick, Parker, Barry, Milner, Young, Lennon, Walcott/Ox, Sturridge, Johnson

Forwards: Rooney, Welbeck, Defoe

GK - Hart, Carson, Green (most likely)

Defenders - Walker, Richards, Terry, Lescott, Cahill, Rio, Cole, Baines

Midfield - Young, A.Johnson (someone other than Downing ... it's going to be Downing, isn't it?), Gerrard, Parker, Barry, Lampard, Walcott, Milner,

Strikers - Rooney, Welbeck, Defoe, Carroll

Right back is tough. Probably prefer Richards/Walker with Richards being able to cover centre back too and I have no place for Phil Jones who's versatility may get him in. I think Lampard deserves to go every bit as much as Gerrard with the form he's in atm

It's hardly the most exciting squad in the world, the press would hammer me :D I could go Sturridge over Defoe though, not in love with Defoe being essential here.

Thing is, no one knows Woy's preferences really. He's picking an extended squad first, isn't he? Is that 30 and then knocking it down

This Beckham for the Olympics thing is ridiculous. There is no way on earth he should be there and Pearce even went to go watch him in the States ... erm, someone wants a free holiday? :D

Right about our midfield, not a lot of pace with Lampard/Gerrard and Parker and whoever else. Real shame about Wilshere that's an entire season of playing, learning even more, developing that's gone now :(

Defoe over Welbeck? Carroll over Welbeck? Carroll and Defoe as our only two strikers for the first two games? Oh dear.

Yes. Defoe is a much better finisher than Welbeck, and Carroll is a better option for a lone striker than Welbeck. Carroll is also a different option, which is what you need. Walcott is a better more experienced player, although similar, to Welbeck, so he gets the nod as well.

1 - Hart, 22 - Ruddy, 13 - Stockdale

2 - Walker

3 - Cole, 23 - Baines

6 - Terry, 5 - Lescott, 14 - Jones, 12 - Cahill

15 - Barry, 4 - Parker, 20 - Lampard, 8 - Gerrard, 16 - Carrick

7 - Young, 19 - Ox-Chamberlain, 17 - Lennon, 11 - A. Johnson

10 - Rooney, 9 - Welbeck, 21 - Carroll, 18 - Defoe

That's right - only one right back. Couldn't chose between Johnson and Richards so left them both out. Logical? No. Who cares, Jones can cover there and that is why he gets the nod ahead of Jagielka or Rio.

I've also gone to the trouble of numbering them for you all. This is based on absolutely no thought so if anybody comes in saying "omg why have you given the Ox 19, his favourite number is 21" then you can gtf.

I think he might be aware of that?

My point was there is only one Everton player (hence the :D smiley). He'd rather not take two Everton players but will happily take Terry instead?

Oh, and stop being pedantic :mad:

My point was there is only one Everton player (hence the :D smiley). He'd rather not take two Everton players but will happily take Terry instead?

Oh, and stop being pedantic :mad:

I was foolin' around with the one Everton player business.

I like Jagielka but was kinda going with what I think Hodgson will take.

On that note I'd say Zamora is also pretty likely due to his exploits with Fulham.

and Carroll is a better option for a lone striker than Welbeck. Carroll is also a different option, which is what you need.

All kinds of wrong...

I'd go with;

Hart, Someone, Someone else

Richards, Walker

Baines, Cole

Terry, Ferdinand, Cahill, Jagielka

Carrick, Parker, Lampard, Barry, Gerrard

Young, Lennon, Milner, Walcott

Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge

I was foolin' around with the one Everton player business.

I like Jagielka but was kinda going with what I think Hodgson will take.

On that note I'd say Zamora is also pretty likely due to his exploits with Fulham.

Fair enough. I was like 'no Jags or Smalling yet there's Terry?! ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ'

I hope Ben Foster isn't going, mainly cause he's a big baby and cannot handle any kind of pressure or expectation whatsoever. Said he wanted time off from England so leave him be, he's a flake, ok at West Brom now where no one will pay too much attention to what he's doing.

Quite a lot. Chelsea are on tv a lot here, so basically I'd say 90% of the games that haven't clashed with an Everton game or a United game.

Fair enough, but I think it says a lot that he's still been in most people's squads despite most people despising him. He's had a pretty decent season imo, nothing great by his previous standards but he should be an automatic pick for England.

Fair enough, but I think it says a lot that he's still been in most people's squads despite most people despising him. He's had a pretty decent season imo, nothing great by his previous standards but he should be an automatic pick for England.

My reason for not picking him has nothing to do with me despising him, though. He's been pretty poor this season, and there are better center-backs around. Lescott and Jagielka have both had better seasons, and Smalling has been pretty solid when he's played. I wasn't quite convinced by Cahill when he first moved to Chelsea but he's been pretty good as well. I'd even take Ferdinand over Terry because, despite his injury problems, Ferdinand played really well during the time when United overtook City. Even if Terry goes, he should be a back-up to Jagielka and Lescott.

Also, people including Terry doesn't say much. They're also including Gerrard who's been awful (except that hattrick in the derby :().

You can argue over who should start but no way is Smalling get in an England squad ahead of Terry.

There were stories during the week about Hodge leaving Terry or Rio out cause of this thing but pretty sure it was based on nothing and he's not spoken to them about the racism thing yet

Hart Foster Ruddy

Richards Jones Smalling Rio Cahill Lescott Cole

Carrick Parker Barry Lampard Scholes Gerrard

Lennon Walcott Young Ox

Rooney Welbeck Defoe

this, but possibly walker instead of jones and sturridge instead of defoe.

All kinds of wrong...

I'd go with;

Hart, Someone, Someone else

Richards, Walker

Baines, Cole

Terry, Ferdinand, Cahill, Jagielka

Carrick, Parker, Lampard, Barry, Gerrard

Young, Lennon, Milner, Walcott

Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge

Walcott, Welbeck, Sturridge and to an extent Lennon are all pretty much the same player. There's no tactical variety at all. Once plan A is ****ed, you're done.

Joe Hart with only 33.87% of the votes :D
Evidence of why you shouldn't trust the public.

Seeing as you're supposed to pick 3, him getting over a third of the total votes is pretty good going. At most he should be on 33.33%.

Walcott, Welbeck, Sturridge and to an extent Lennon are all pretty much the same player. There's no tactical variety at all. Once plan A is ****ed, you're done.

I can almost see what you mean with Walcott, Sturridge and Lennon, but Welbeck? :D

Welbeck and Sturridge are different types of players to Walcott and Lennon. For a start, the technical ability is clear with the former two whereas you wonder about it with the latter. Not to mention the former two are more versatile owing to this better technical ability.

Archived