Hart

Richards

Terry

Cahill

Cole

Parker

Wilshere

Sturridge

Rooney (Scholes for first 2 games, yeah)

Young

Bent

I like that on paper but the fact that it has 3 Chelsea defenders considering how dreadful they've been seems wrong so maybe Smalling in there. If Bent is still out then I guess the only option is Welbeck. Carrick if Wilshere is still injured too.

I'm not sure if Welbeck is a better finisher then Bent at the moment. Bent had a very good year last year. Since the WC, he's scored 4 goals in 7 games for England (2 of those games he came off the bench). He's shown when given chances he's capable of scoring at this level. He's never going to win golden boot but he's capable of getting 2/3 goals this Euros.

Ah, looks like Rooney has recovered in time for the weekend. I had a sneaky feeling he might. Probably didn't need him in the squad all things considered but it's good he got 'better' in time for the weekend though

He missed the match against Ajax (I think) and Norwich for the same reason he didn't play against Holland. :D

Not appointing a new manager until the end of the season then.

Hart

Richards

Jagielka

Lescott

Cole

Parker

Wilshere/Barry/Scholes

Lennon

Rooney

Young

Welbeck

Gerrard, Terry and Ferdinand all not in the squad, I say.

rather have ox then sturridge on the wing.

Sturridge is first choice for Chelsea and one of a very small number of guaranteed starters there. Chamberlain isn't as established, and isn't playing as well anyway.

I would however consider Chamberlain as an option behind the striker if he gets regular time and neither Gerrard nor Lampard are in good form.

Sturridge is first choice for Chelsea and one of a very small number of guaranteed starters there. Chamberlain isn't as established, and isn't playing as well anyway.

I would however consider Chamberlain as an option behind the striker if he gets regular time and neither Gerrard nor Lampard are in good form.

Chamberlain = winger

Sturridge = greedy striker played on the wing

Assuming Chamberlain starts getting some proper playing time then he should be ahead in the pecking order for the right wing slot.

Hart, 2 GKs

Cole, Baines, Lescott, Smalling, Cahill/Jagielka, Richards, Jones

Carrick, Parker, Gerrard/Lampard, Barry, Milner, Cleverley

Young, Johnson, Welbeck, Sturridge, Rooney, Bent (if not fit Defoe or Chamberlain), Walcott/Lennon

If Cleverley's form doesn't hold up or he's injured, Glen Johnson in for him.

Hart

Richards Lescott Smalling Cole

Parker Carrick

Young Rooney Johnson

Welbeck

"yeah, we can wait until about a week and a half before the tournament starts before bringing a manager in" ... that doesn't sound like it can massively backfire, eh? I bloody hope they have had words with Harry already if that's who they want in

To be fair it's not like Harry can do anything between now and the end of the season anyway even if he did take the job. He's hardly a foreign manager who needs to check players out and watch them. As dislikable as he is, he knows his football. If worse comes to worse and he turns the job down for whatever reason then they have Pearce who seems pretty professional enough to have a plan in place to pick a squad anyway.

I wonder if a lot of people will stay in Poland like the team and the airlines will have more flights during the tournament or something, I also heard about the shortage of hotels in Donetsk, going to be awkward but as usual, English fans will be there, hoping ... dreaming ... crying :(:D

I'm going to the Sweden game and having a few days in Kiev. Couldn't be bothered with the others. Travel between Kiev and Donetsk looks horrendous and Donetsk itself looks like a hole, and by all accounts there is very little accommodation available. Somebody should tell UEFA that not everyone going to a tournament wants to squeeze onto a filthy campsite with 5,000 other idiots, as that appears to be their default solution. Apparently most of the half decent hotels in Donetsk were booked up months ago for sponsors and UEFA dignitaries. And to even meet UEFA's criteria in the first place and provide the requisite number of hotel beds, Donetsk's councillors have had to redraw the boundaries of the city and make it bigger :D

• 2 weeks later...

Got confirmation of my ticket allocation from UEFA yesterday :thup:

The Sweden group game in Kiev, then "conditional" tickets for the QFs, SFs and final if we get through. Brilliantly I am charged up front for all four straightaway, and then if (when) we are knocked out a refund will find its way back to me in August for those tickets that I didn't end up using.

Got to admire UEFA's balls with that. Mid-priced tickets for the final alone are nearly £300, so they basically sit on millions of pounds of fans' money for 4 months creaming off the interest, knowing full well that 14 out of 16 countries aren't going to make it through.

Got to admire UEFA's balls with that. Mid-priced tickets for the final alone are nearly £300, so they basically sit on millions of pounds of fans' money for 4 months creaming off the interest, knowing full well that 14 out of 16 countries aren't going to make it through.

Not a bad vig on their criminal empire, eh

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/mar/22/england-euro2012-tickets

Tickets still on sale for England games ... odd that considering the tales of there being no hotels and it being a million miles away. Looks like England fans won't get mugged off on this? Usually you can rely on our lot to basically travel anywhere. Wonder where the other games' sales are at?

Ukraine matches look like a total disaster across the board.

Just looking on the UEFA site now at which tickets are available (this is with a login to access UEFA's general sale, not specifically for England tickets which I can get through the FA membership scheme). Tickets available for 14 of the matches - 1 in Poland, 13 in Ukraine :D All three of England's group games are on there.

Or put another way, 13 out of the 16 matches in Ukraine have now got tickets on general sale to allcomers. And 1 of the 3 that hasn't is the final, so that doesn't really count.

Erm, Hoddle is talking himself up about the England job. Unfinished bussiness and stuff.

Can't say I remember his time to well. My first memories as a proper England supporter we around Euro2000. We all know why he got sacked. His time was known for that 0-0 in Italy and Le Tournoi. WC98 was a bit disapointing, messing up the group stage. I do doubt the FA will turn to him though.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/glenn-hoddle-im-ready-to-be-englands-caretaker-at-the-euros-7584860.html

Interview with Patrick Barclay, not sure what he's doing with the Independent, I know he got layed off from the Times in some cost cutting and I think he himself agreed that he got paid well and had a silly, important title. Not sure if he's working for the Independent now or it's a one off.

He's ok but has some awfully silly ideas sometimes and is one of those 'diving isn't that bad' pundits.

Hoddle was actually very good tactically, the qualifying campaign for '98 World Cup was very effective, didn't concede a goal away from home, only blip being home loss to Italy where he picked himself, oops, le Tiss and it sort of didn't work out for him (Walker beaten near post :() Man management was his failing, like the opposite of Keegan, good with the players but hopeless with everything else.

It's not just he thinks the disabled deserve it (nutter :D) but the fact he brought Drury in and had the players walking anti-clockwise around the pitch (something to do with 'energy') ... there's too much wacky stuff there tbh

Erm, Hoddle is talking himself up about the England job. Unfinished bussiness and stuff.

Can't say I remember his time to well. My first memories as a proper England supporter we around Euro2000. We all know why he got sacked. His time was known for that 0-0 in Italy and Le Tournoi. WC98 was a bit disapointing, messing up the group stage. I do doubt the FA will turn to him though.

To be fair, we did play really well under him. Our team was brilliant back then though I reckon.

Could do a lot worse than Hoddle. Tactically he was heads and shoulders above anyone we've tried since. Actually used to look at the opposition and work out a lineup and gameplan accordingly, rather just sticking out the XI that looked strongest on paper and hoping for the best.

Archived