replacing YOUR legends

My club is in a state of limbo, I have many players nearing the ages of 33 and 34 and I need to replace them soon enough.

However I do not know whether to keep them playing, pay over the odds for middle aged replacements or buy very young and very inexperienced.

So how do you replace your legends?

The best way imo is get young players when the veterans are still there and as the veterans are being gradually phased out of the first team, the young players can come in to replace them. Eventually they will fully replace them.

Depends how much money you have?

If you're at a big club with loads of cash, then you can afford to go shopping at the top end of the market whenever you need a new player.

If you're managing a smaller club / are cash-short, then its about identifying talent young and developing it. If you adopt this strategy you need to be always thinking ahead e.g. if you've got a top player age 30+, its no use buying a youngster at that point in time as they won't be fully ready when the old man declines, hence you need to be identifying young talent sooner so that when your older players decline, your young talent has developed sufficiently to step into their shoes.

The best way imo is get young players when the veterans are still there and as the veterans are being gradually phased out of the first team, the young players can come in to replace them. Eventually they will fully replace them.

This is what I do, and certainly what I would recommend as the answer. The key is to have a little bit more of a long term view of your squad (if that applies....I'm assuming you're staying at the club for a few seasons) so that you can identify areas where in a season or 3 you are going to have sections of your team/squad that are too old or no longer good enough. If you follow the path of youth then chances are you'll sign them raw - or promote them from within - so they'll need the appropriate amount of game time to develop. Cup games, meaningless Champions League / Europa League games etc are perfect, or league games where you're extremely confident of a win.

The alternative is just to custom buy to fit the needs at the time, which I would say is less of a long term strategy and is maybe more suited if you're looking for immediate impact and results.

In my current save I've ended up at AC Milan and I'm trying to balance both to keep the squad super competitive but with a good seam of youth running through it (a la Sir Alex at Man Utd at the moment I would argue).

My general method of replacing them is to buy a few young replacements when the older player is about 27-28, then usually one of them turns out good enough to play for my first team, and usually by the time my star is 32-33, they're ready while the star has begun their decline.

I mean, my Spurs team has 3-4 players over 26, and they've all got a couple of prospective replacement at the club already.

I am a little greedier. I hunt the market constantly scouting for new talent 17 yrs or younger. And I try to make an offer for every player who has a potential to become a leading player so long they dont have some horrible attributes like susceptible to injuries, doesn't relish big matches, unambitious, low determination, or missing crucial key attributes for their position. Just buy them when they are still not too expensive and hope for the best. Sell them if they don't turn out as expected, AI aren't that smart and they pay for a player based on their CA/PA. If he is good, then you would have gotten yourself a gem.

Wait until you decide you don't want to keep them on any more, then let the veteran's contracts retire.

About a year or 2 before that, buy up several regens in the position of the player you have.

For instance, I have Luka Modric, 34 or so on my save, and have bought a few regen AM's at least up to his standard. The best one will fill his advanced playmaker role.

I also bought Mattia Destro to replace Artem Milevskyi (who scored lots of goals and even 34 in 34 one season). Let their contracts expire; you won't need the miniscule money you can get for them to buy regens if they truly are legends.

Also, genie scout can come in handy. Even if some people believe it to be cheating.

Archived