Best XI of the World Cup post yours now

Uquillas

-------------------------------Asamoah Gyan---------------------------

Diego Forlan-------------------------------------------------David Villa

-------------------Wesley Snider------------Mesut Oezil---------------

-------------------------------Anthony Annan----------------------------

Philip Lahm--------Carles Puyol-----------John Mensah----------Maicon

---------------------------Maarten Stekelenburg-----------------------

................................... .......... stekelenberg..................................................

ramos.........................puyol............................mertesacker......................lahm

oezil........................sneijder..........................mueller...............................messi

....................................................................forlan.......................................

................................................villa..............................................................

................................... .......... stekelenberg..................................................

ramos.........................puyol............................mertesacker......................lahm

oezil........................sneijder..........................mueller...............................messi

....................................................................forlan.......................................

................................................villa..............................................................

................................... .......... Eduardo...................................... ............

Ramos.........................Puyol............... .............Heitinga......................Van Bronkhurst

Muller........................Sneijder............. .............Schweinsteiger.............................. .Iniesta

....................................................Forlan.......................... ............................................

..............................................................Villa............................................... ...............

Predictor- Paul.

Still like to know why some are sticking Lahm at left back despite him not playing there at all this tournament, nor has he for Bayern for a while.

I picked him at left back in the other thread. I think it's because he can play there and I don't think that there has been an outstanding left back in the competition. Maybe Gio Van Bronckhorst but I'd say Lahm has performed better than him, and that Sergio Ramos has performed better than him so that's why I chose Lahm and Ramos as my full backs.

Honestly surprised about people favouring Mertesacker over Friedrich. Must be based on reputation and past performance, rather than this cup. Yes, Friedrich was by far the biggest surprise of this German squad. Has never been close to resembling a key player and was captaining a side that was hopeless for most of the season. This Cup's German centre back practically was being operated by him. Astonishing. Fully expect him to disappear now again though, one-off stunt a la Dieter Eilts in 1996, the guy doing all the busy-work for the EURO 96 winners - Dieter WHO you say? Yeah, that's like, the point, man.

Casillas

Lahm

Puyol

Friedrich

Ramos

van Bommel

Schweinsteiger

Müller

Iniesta

KP Boateng

Forlan

4-5-1 FTW. ;)

casillas

lahm friedrich pique ramos

iniesta schweinsteiger sneijederi müller

villa forlan

i agree with svenc btw, dont know which games you guys have watched but friedrich was alot better then mertesacker at this WC.

GK Casillas - as other people said, no Kahn's 2002 this time

LB Lahm - he played at right-back this time, he is just as good on the left normally

RB Maicon - class act

CB Friedrich - was good

CB Puyol - heroic at times against Germany

DM Schweinsteiger - awesomeness

DM van Bommel - pantomine villain but so effective

CM Xavi - pass, pass, pass, pass,....

CM Iniesta - ditto

CM Müller - as an inside right

FW Forlán - :cool:

Manager - Óscar Tabárez

GK: Eduardo (Casillas)

DR: Maicon (Sergio Ramos)

DL: Coentrão (Belhadj? or move over Lahm? not a good WC for left full backs)

DC: Puyol (Lugano)

DC: Piqué (Friedrich)

DM: Schweinsteiger (Van Bommel)

MC: Xavi (irreplaceable)

MC: Sneijder (irreplaceable)

FW: Iniesta (Müller)

FW: Messi (Özil)

FW: Forlán (David Villa)

GK: Stekelenburg

DR: Lahm

DC: Puyol

DC: Friedrich

DL: Van Bronckhorst

MR: Sneijder

MC: Xavi

MC: Schweinsteiger

ML: Villa (well half his games he seemed to be playing on wide left more than through the middle)

ST: Forlan

ST: Muller

What is wrong with them, three right backs? :confused:

tbf that would be workable, Ramos & Puyol at Centre back, Lahm on the left & Maicon on the right?

And you could say that it's technically 4 RB's considering Puyol did play a good chunk of his career there before moving to CB.

Puyol started playing as RB at Barcelona for a couple seasons. Since then he's been a CB, although in some matches he played in the right back if the starting player was injured or out of the team for any reason. In the National team he's even played as LB now and then (and doing quite well in that role)

Anyway out of 13 years at the first team, 11 of them have been as Center back. I wouldn't say he's a RB anymore unless in dire need for the team. I wouldn't say he's played "a good chunk of his career there", for he only played there for a couple seasons.

Ramos is a different animal, he also started as RB, playing some games as CB at Sevilla. When trasnferred to Madrid he played mostly as CB but now he's been moved to the RB position almost permanently. Right now noone knows what role will he have at Madrid, not even Mourinho (depends, if they sign Maicon, he'll be starting as CB, if not, he'll be starting RB).

I'd say Ramos can take both roles without a problem while for Puyol CB is his main role. In game terms let's say that Puyol is 20 in CB, 13 as RB, and Ramos is 20 in both CB and RB.

As for a Maicon-Ramos-Puyol-Lahm defence line, well, yeah, could work. I would be a bit worried by the lack of ball passing ability of the CBs, however. Spain (and Barcelona) makes a point of having a "rottweiler" centerback and a more playmaking one to guarantee a good exit to the ball from the back (key if the team's MCs are under heavy pressure). Pique usually fills that role both at Barcelona and Spain. Ramos and Puyol are a bit lacking in that department so you'd need a very good playmaker as DMC sitting very deep in the field (Almost between the CBs) to guarantee a similar effect.

other than that, yep, that defensive line up works for me.

Archived