Worst World Champions Ever?

djvandyke

Well it's all over and Spain have come out on top, I doubt i'm alone in feeling distraught that such an abysmal excuse for a football side have got their hands on the trophy.

Spain are worst world champions I have ever had the misfortune of watching and have won the world cup with a combination of dire negative tactics, time wasting and play acting.

What a shame for football!

I think they were as good as any other champion, despite the defeat vs Switzerland, they didn't concede in any of the playoff games, and did enough to win the games, which is the reason why they are in South Africa. The point in a WC is not to play the most beautiful football, but to do what you have to do to win, and Spain did that.

Well it's all over and Spain have come out on top, I doubt i'm alone in feeling distraught that such an abysmal excuse for a football side have got their hands on the trophy.

Spain are worst world champions I have ever had the misfortune of watching and have won the world cup with a combination of dire negative tactics, time wasting and play acting.

Bahahahahaha. That is all.

Another idiotic post from djvandyke. Just because its not fast end to end stuff doesn't mean it's not brilliant football, only one team actually allowed them to play as they wanted and that was Germany who they were dominant against.

wtf? they are clearly the best side in the World and probably have been for four years.

One of the best keepers, some of the best defenders in the world except at left back, the best central midfield partnership in Iniesta and Xavi, up there with the best partnerships that's ever existed. Villa up front, with the likes of Torres, Fabregas, Silva, Navas, Reina, on the bench. Plus a very good coach in Del Bosque.

If you picked a world squad of 23 players Spain would have Casillas, Ramos, Pique maybe, Iniesta, Xavi, Villa, Torres (when on form), maybe even Fabregas in it. That's nearly 1/3rd of the squad.

wtf? they are clearly the best side in the World and probably have been for four years.

One of the best keepers, some of the best defenders in the world except at left back, the best central midfield partnership in Iniesta and Xavi, up there with the best partnerships that's ever existed. Villa up front, with the likes of Torres, Fabregas, Silva, Navas, Reina, on the bench. Plus a very good coach in Del Bosque.

If you picked a world squad of 23 players Spain would have Casillas, Ramos, Pique maybe, Iniesta, Xavi, Villa, Torres (when on form), maybe even Fabregas in it. That's nearly 1/3rd of the squad.

I would not have Torres anywhere near my team. Right about the rest though

Would include Puyol in that as well tbh.

This"]

[/url] seems a suitable response.

That's more a statement about the other teams... :p

If this is where football is going.... We need new rules to promote attacking football & new technology to prevent more controvesy. This was a poor world cup. Winning a cup with 8 goals in 6 matches...

Bloody hell, what a strange thing to say. I don't like 90% of their players, the way they play football, but let's be serious - they won it fair and square and I don't feel they are worse than other WC champions I remember.

Worst in terms of overall performances throughout the tournament: no

That goes to Italy 2006

Worst in terms of actual performance compared to the potential of the team: yes by a mile

Italy 2006 were like your average C+/B- student who strikes lucky and has a full A exam

Spain 2010 were like a potentially all-A student who gets lazy but gets all As anyway because of his reputation

Spain still dominated most games, although failed to score more goals, and they had the best defense and arguably the best goalie (or one of the best at least) in the WC.

You just need to look at the the quality of players in the team to realise how daft the OP is. The whole first team is made of players who are at the top 2 clubs in the world, then you look at Holland where a few of their main players where sold from said clubs as they were surplus to requirements.

Italy's 2006 team get lot of stick but people forget they were very good in the quarter and semi finals of the competition.

You just need to look at the the quality of players in the team to realise how daft the OP is. The whole first team is made of players who are at the top 2 clubs in the world, then you look at Holland where a few of their main players where sold from said clubs as they were surplus to requirements.

Italy's 2006 team get lot of stick but people forget they were very good in the quarter and semi finals of the competition.

Italy were pretty good throughout that competition, but it's easy to label them as the worst, most boring e.t.c. because it's a stereotype that most people will believe regardless of whether it is true or not, mainly because there are a lot of haters who want it to be true.

Spain scored only eight goals from six games because every team they played against sat back and defended in depth. Look at the Final - a talented Netherlands team set out with two ball-winning midfielders sitting deep and kicked the hell out of Spain - and I'm not sure if their fullbacks ever came forward except on set pieces. The Dutch did what they thought they had to do - but it's not going to produce an exciting game. And that was similar to how most teams set out against Spain.

tbf, spain had to cope with two of the most stupidly defensive teams at the World Cup ( Portugal and Switzerland ) every team came into the games with them trying to stop them playing ( with the possible exception of Chile ) they did this in 4 of the games playing with a clearly unfit Torres playing for most of the game, they still managed to outpass every team they played and boast one of the top scorers of the tournament. As for the final, it wasnt a classic, but the Dutch were disgraceful, they could easily have ended the match with 7 men with De Jong ( for the disgusting tackle on Xabi Alonso ) Van Bomell ( for a multitude of fouls after he was booked ) and robben ( for kicking the ball away when he was on a yellow ) lucky not to follow Heitinga off the fieldi dont think spain were any more guilkty of playacting than any other team at the world cup and at times, played some lovely stuff during this World Cup, despite what some bitter dutch posters say ( note im not referring to all dutch posters, just a select few )

Spain scored only eight goals from six games because every team they played against sat back and defended in depth. Look at the Final - a talented Netherlands team set out with two ball-winning midfielders sitting deep and kicked the hell out of Spain - and I'm not sure if their fullbacks ever came forward except on set pieces. The Dutch did what they thought they had to do - but it's not going to produce an exciting game. And that was similar to how most teams set out against Spain.

Exactly, but dont expect people to see the truth behind the bitterness. The worst thing to happen was Switzerland's flukey win, that made other teams think they could play that way. Infact the way the tournament started promoted negative football and the whole tournament suffered from it a bit.

My national team, Portugal, lost to Spain. They were not great but good enough. In fact, they were just good enough the entire tournament. they don't need to play wonderful football, just win. That being said i can't say i'm really that excited about the show they put out. Just like i wasn't when Greece won the Euro (although i may be a little biased). But on the other hand almost all the teams played like them. So they were the best at that horrible display of football that was almost every game of this world cup.

Spain won because they got results when it mattered. I have always admired the Dutch philosophy and the modern Spanish game is based on that, but what the Dutch exhibited was truly horrible Football so Spain were deserved winners!

switzerland? that team that scored an off side goal after three bad bounces and a bleeding defender?. That game where Spain was robbed of two clear penalties not called by the referee?. That game where we held 70% posession and where Switzerland shot only twice on goal (and one of them in said off-side)?. The match where only plain bad luck, terrible refereeing and a bus parked over the swiss line prevented us to win?

Ah, yeah, that one.

As for the rest, and as for the OP, refer to my post in the finals' thread.

oh, well, of course. No team is unbeatable, no matter how good it is. A bad afternoon, a day of bad luck, a crappy referee, or the best game ever by the guys in the other side, all can kill even the best team ever against another team.

I was pointing out the fact that vs Switzerland we didn't deserve to lose, not by far ;). But as for Spain being unbeatable, no, we aren't. No team is, no matter how good it is. We're in agreement here, then :)

Archived