World Cup Final 2010 - Netherlands vs Spain

gillsminnow

Surprised this hasn't been created already. Would've left it for the dutch crew but it's about 24 hours away and we can claim the referee.

ned.pngvs esp.png

Netherlands vs Spain

FIFA World Cup Final 2010

Kick off - 19:30

Referee: Howard WEBB (ENG)

Venue: Soccer City, Johannesburg

Stadiumsoccercity.jpg

The 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ promises to be quite an occasion, with the Netherlands pitting their wits against the reigning European champions. Both sides have produced some good football during their campaigns and have been rewarded with the chance to add their nation’s names to the select list of former winners: Uruguay, Italy, Germany, Brazil, England, Argentina and France.

The match

Netherlands-Spain, Final, Johannesburg, Soccer City Stadium, Sunday, 11 July, 20.30 (local time)

As a glance at the head-to-head record between the two nations shows, tipping a winner is no easy task. Both sides have won four of their nine meetings, with the other game ending in a draw.

The Oranje have been here before, reaching the Finals at Germany 1974, with Johan Cruyff, and Argentina 1978, without him, and losing to the hosts on both occasions. For Spain, however, this is new territory, although their confidence at rising to the occasion will be high after ending a 44-year trophy drought at UEFA EURO 2008.

The Netherlands’ record at South Africa 2010 could hardly be more impressive: six wins in six games with 12 goals scored and five conceded. For their part Vicente del Bosque’s men have strung together five wins in a row after kicking off with a surprise defeat. But while the Spaniards have found goals hard to come by, scoring just seven in total, they have been far more miserly in defence, letting in just two so far.

The winners will also end an old hoodoo, with no European side having ever won the biggest prize in world football outside the old continent.

Players to watch

Wesley Sneijder v David Villa

The leading goalscorers at South Africa 2010, although Miroslav Klose, Diego Forlan and Luis Suarez might have something to say about that in the match for the place, the in-form pair are in the frame for both the adidas Golden Boot and the adidas Golden Ball. Their goals have been vital their sides’ respective runs to the Final. Can one of them end the tournament with a winner’s medal and two coveted individual awards? All will soon be revealed.

The stat

8 - Sunday’s game will be the eighth all-European Final in the history of the FIFA World Cup. In 19 tournaments in all Europe has been represented in 16 Finals, a record that includes an unbroken run of 14 Finals going back to Switzerland 1954. Only two showpiece games have been all-South American, with the remaining nine pitching together sides from the competition’s two dominant continents.

What they said

“I don’t see David Villa as Spain’s most dangerous player. The ones you really have to watch are Xavi [Hernandez] and [Andres] Iniesta. They’re the players who set the tempo and make sure the ball gets to Villa. We have to stop them from playing and getting free. We need to mark them very tightly because if we give them the slightest space we’ll have problems,” Arjen Robben, Netherlands forward.

“I don’t think they’ll sit back and defend. They’ve got some quick players who are in terrific form right now. They’ll do what we do and stick to their style. I know Robben. He’s quick powerful and strong, and his shooting from outside the area is a concern for me. What we need to do is cut him off, although there’s more to the Netherlands than just Robben. They are powerful in defence and midfield, and [Wesley] Sneijder and [Dirk] Kuyt are just as dangerous,” Iker Casillas, Spain goalkeeper and captain.

[b][u]Road to the final:[/u][/b]

[b][u]Netherlands[/u][/b]			[b][u]Spain[/u][/b]

Netherlands 2-0 Denmark		Spain 0-1 Switzerland
Netherlands 1-0 Japan		Spain 2-0 Honduras
Netherlands 2-1 Cameroon	Spain 2-1 Chile
Netherlands 2-1 Slovakia	Spain 1-0 Portugal
Netherlands 2-1 Brazil		Spain 1-0 Paraguay
Netherlands 3-2 Uruguay		Spain 1-0 Germany

1270737_full-lnd.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football Italia:

Cruyff expects Spain to win

Netherlands legend Johan Cruyff believes that if Del Bosque's men play to their potential they will become world champions

0,,12950~8872465,00.jpg

Although the 63-year-old guided Netherlands to the World Cup final in 1974 as a player, he spent over a decade with Spanish giants Barcelona both as player and coach.

Credited with nurturing and developing Barca's current lauded attacking brand of football, Cruyff is well aware of the qualities the European champions possess, given that seven of the starting eleven against Germany in the semi-final play for the Nou Camp club.

And whilst Cruyff acknowledges the Dutch also have talented players, he believes that if Spain are allowed to impose their game on them there can only be one winner.

"Spain have always had good footballers and never a team, but now they have one," said Cruyff.

"They have worked very well in the last few years and if they get into their rhythm, they should win. Normally Spain play better (than the Netherlands), but that doesn't mean they will win.

"Holland is a very balanced team, they know their strengths and their weaknesses, and up until now (at this World Cup) they have always been able to make their strengths shine through.

"They have two or three players playing at an exceptional level at the World Cup and the team's level has risen enormously."

Cruijff. :cool:

The octopus had the final wrong too in 2008, I cling to that. Besides some parakeet predicted Holland would win the final, and I've always trusted parakeets more than ctopusses tbh.

I always thought it's octopii. Sounds so much cooler.

Neutral on this one...Hope the Spanish short passes won't make me fall asleep

But I like the Spanish short passes! It's funny to see the other team chase shadows or foul Iniesta to stop him from racing away :cool:.

Hope Pedro starts. He had a fantastic game against Germany imo. He's like a Iniesta clone in a sense as he roams all over midfield just like him which makes it extremely hard to track him. With Iniesta and Pedro roaming around, Xavi, Xabi and Busquets in the center and Villa up top, Spain should be unstoppable. Villa's better on the wing though :(. So, it's basically Pedro v Torres for the starting place.

spain haven't been painful to watch at all, unless you hate 'football'. everyone knows their style by now yet people are so busy being negative about them, and also holland.

it will be cagey but I think it will be interesting.

are de jong and van der wiel back?

Yep, we will play in the same formation as against Brazil and Slovakia; Steek; Van der Wiel, Heit, Mathijsen, Gio; De Jong, Van Bommel; Robben, Sneijder, Kuyt; RvP

I had a feeling before the tournament that Holland would knock Spain out. I quietly dropped that idea after realising that they wouldn't meet until the final.

I have a feeling that Sneijder and Robben will exploit Spain's two weak links - Busquets and Capdevila. 9/11ths of Spain's team is world class (depending on whether Fernando Torres or Fabregas starts or Pedro starts) but I feel that Holland have the best players to get at Spain.

Yep, we will play in the same formation as against Brazil and Slovakia; Steek; Van der Wiel, Heit, Mathijsen, Gio; De Jong, Van Bommel; Robben, Sneijder, Kuyt; RvP

Confirmed line up by Van Marwijk:

Stekelenburg; Van der Wiel, Heitinga, Mathijsen & Van Bronckhorst; Van Bommel & De Jong; Robben, Sneijder & Kuyt; Van Persie

Confirmed line up by Van Marwijk:

Stekelenburg; Van der Wiel, Heitinga, Mathijsen & Van Bronckhorst; Van Bommel & De Jong; Robben, Sneijder & Kuyt; Van Persie

Archived