Howard Webb to ref the final

brett.spurs

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup, should have sent off De Jong early for a start =D

True. But Puyol should have got his 2nd yellow with Robben. Although Robben himself should have got a 2nd yellow too.

I felt Webb killed the match a little bit blowing the whistle on pretty much anything. Plus everbody saw it was a corner for Holland just before Spain scored.

Not saying we are the big victims of Webb today, we aren't imho, just didn't think Webb was that good.

I thought he had a decent game tbh, he did his best to keep all the players on the pitch, until Heitinga was sent off...You may argue he blew the whistle a lot but there was tonnes of ridiculous challenges by both teams(especially the Dutch) so that's fine with me

I thought he was actually selling something.

Couldn´t stop himself from chatting with the players every time.

Pretty awful officiating. In the run of play, Holland was benefited - clearly made a mistake in favour of Spain in the play prior to the Spanish goal (although it was not really a factor for the build up of the play). I have the impression the officials had already missed a corner kick for a Casillas touch as well.

Cheers,

Tele

It was a difficult game, always was gonna be, it's like a bunch of school kids on a school outing, someone is over there doing something niggly, someone being a knob over here, someone pushing someone and it broke the game up. I thought he did ok and I didn't really want to see a red for the kung fu kick, some benefit of the doubt when he probably didn't deserve it, wouldn't have been out of order to give a red. Thought the Spanish could have maybe had a pen for a shove from behind but again, didn't think he wanted to give a 'weak' pen and you can never tell if players really get shoved these days or make the most of something.

Lots of imaginery cards being waved about as the Spanish players decided they weren't getting enough things their way.

I expect all future World Cup Finals will probably be the same tbh, bitty, set plays of trying to get something from nothing with acts of football breaking out between fouls

Holland could and probably should have had 4 sent off tbh. De Jong karate kick -straight red, Van Bommel's constant fouling - 2nd yellow and Robben kicking the ball away - 2nd yellow.

Whereas Spain could and should have had 3 sent off. Puyol 2nd yellow, Xabi Alonso straight red for trying to elbow his way through Sneijder's chest at the stroke of half-time, Iniesta straight red for pushing van Bommel over. Both of the latter 2 incidents completely missed by Webb.

I'll never understand why people need to view a football match in such black and white terms, turning one side into cartoon villains, whilst completely ignoring the disgressions of the other side. In terms of gamemanship both teams were up for it, not just Holland.

I am happy for ref's to little things go to a degree, I don't want to see 10 vs 11 or 9 vs 10 so hate this tit-for-tat fouling and holding up cards like 'see, see, he did it too' ... just let the ref get on with it. The idea should be to keep players on the pitch, not 'well, technically that's a yellow ... oh my, that's 14 red cards' so ref's need to use common sense.

I think it got away from him a bit towards the end when the level of shennigans was upped, until then, karate kick aside it wasn't the worst. Poor yellow for Ramos and poor 2nd for Heitenga but it had all gone mental before then

The Spaniards get away with the card waving and that infuriates me. I did feel Iniesta was lucky to be on the pitch a long with a few others, Iniesta was happily card waving as well as barging into Van Bommel.

Iniesta/van Bommel was "get up, stop it, no diving you pale faced tool" followed by "don't be stupid you gimp" for the 'shove' and a "behave" to van Bommel for his reaction to the 'shove' and then play on.

I didn't think Hetienga's hand on the shoulder warranted a 2nd yellow tbh but (was that?) Ineista got away with his over reaction for that one too.

Van Bommel does make it difficult to like the Dutch though, ever known anyone revel in snideness as much as him? :D

Webb was awful!

He should never ref another UEFA/FIFA final competition in my opinion...

Whilst things got a little away from him at the end I don't think he was terrible, it was more the game. Mistakes are easy to make when 20 players are trying to trick you in some way with their reactions. Unfortunately, UEFA/FIFA have a nudge, nudge, wink, wink policy of "if you trick the ref, you get away with it" for games so there is no reason to not hassle the ref, over react, dive, try and get someone sent off, etc etc

There are good officials and bad, bad decisions and hard decisions I get fed up with constant criticism of refs in these type of matches when no one says anything about the behaviour of the players. Look at Ineista and Van Bommel there for crying out loud, it's pathetic. They should be dragged over the coals for the way they are all playing as if they weren't doing these things it'd be a hell of a lot easier to ref. That's now how FIFA/UEFA want these things though.

I thought he was actually selling something.

Couldn´t stop himself from chatting with the players every time.

How can you blame him for talking to the players? Jeez.

He had a good game, made a couple of mistakes like every other player on the field. None of them were big enough to change the match though (even the corner that wasn't given at the end).

Webb was dire yesterday. Sends a wave of yellow cards the Dutch way, then realizes he really messed up on giving de Jong only yellow, then compensates by handing out farcical yellows and giving every 50/50 to Spain.

The pinnacle of nonsense was Robben running through the Spanish defense, being held and kicked by two man, then getting a yellow for daring to challenge Webbs decision not to give a FK. Of course I question Robbens judgement there. For once you don't go down, did it have to be at that moment??

Sending off Heit was the final straw: don't let this man near the WC again. How a ref who handed three yellows to the same player was called up for the WC in the first place is beyond a joke, too.

Webb was dire yesterday. Sends a wave of yellow cards the Dutch way, then realizes he really messed up on giving de Jong only yellow, then compensates by handing out farcical yellows and giving every 50/50 to Spain.

The pinnacle of nonsense was Robben running through the Spanish defense, being held and kicked by two man, then getting a yellow for daring to challenge Webbs decision not to give a FK. Of course I question Robbens judgement there. For once you don't go down, did it have to be at that moment??

Sending off Heit was the final straw: don't let this man near the WC again. How a ref who handed three yellows to the same player was called up for the WC in the first place is beyond a joke, too.

The only booking he got wrong was Ramos, and Robben stayed on his feet, got his shot away, then wanted a free kick because he missed.

To be honest this sounds like sour grapes.

Hasn't it struck you that Holland deserved so many bookings for the fouls they committed? You said yourself that he messed up by only giving de Jong a yellow, so if he had sent him off in all likelihood Holland would have still lost. Then there's Van Bommel. I must have counted at least 8 fouls, most of them not just mistimed but violent. So he should have been sent off.

The Robben incident I think he got right. Yes Puyol was holding him back but he broke free of him and was 1 on 1 with the keeper. If he had scored would you have wanted play being brought back? You either have the advantage of a 1 on 1 situation, or you have the foul. You can't have the 1 on 1 then when he misses decide you want the foul. I don't think that's how advantage works. And Robben deserved to be booked. Dissent is a law of the game.

Why aren't you questioning Holland's players? It is them who committed so many fouls, not the referee.

The ref is an imbacil. It was not a red card for Heitinga. It was a clear corner before the Spanish goal. How could he have missed that? Puyol was obstructing Robben one on one and should have received (another) yellow at least. And Karate Kid Nigel should also have received a red card. And Iniesta....was asking for a yellow card the whole match..it was disgusting.

Again, Webb...you are an idiot.

Too bad for us he made two blatant errors that leaded to the Spanish goal. The free kick of Sneijder got deflected TWICE very clearly, still no corner... wtf was Webb thinking?

And of course De Jong should have got red in the first half, I won't deny that.

Too bad for us he made two blatant errors that leaded to the Spanish goal. The free kick of Sneijder got deflected TWICE very clearly, still no corner... wtf was Webb thinking?

And of course De Jong should have got red in the first half, I won't deny that.

You think this was a red card?!?

Yes, that was a classic red card.

Yet don't think that Van Bommel stamping on Iniesta's left ankle in the same clip doesn't warrant anything?

I never said that, did I? What Van Bommel did or didn't do has no bearing whatsoever on whether this was a red card or not, that's not how match officiating works. If you think Van Bommel is a 4-letter word of the highest order that's fine, and sure enough he is, but that doesn't mean that he deserves everything he gets and any foul on him is okay because he's done it too. If you really believe that, I'm happy you're not a ref.

The Robben incident I think he got right. Yes Puyol was holding him back but he broke free of him and was 1 on 1 with the keeper. If he had scored would you have wanted play being brought back? You either have the advantage of a 1 on 1 situation, or you have the foul. You can't have the 1 on 1 then when he misses decide you want the foul. I don't think that's how advantage works.

Completely agree with this.

That was never a red card ffs, was one of the most ridiculous over reactions of the whole match by Van Bommel. Should have probably received his 2nd yellow for stamping on Iniesta in the same incident.

To be honest this sounds like sour grapes.

To be honest that's a clichéd remark based on nothing.

Webb was a joke, dire, terrible. Should have given red to de Jong and afterwards not try to make up for not giving it by giving everything to Spain. The goal was a joke of course. Not saying Spain didn't deserve it, but there is no way that Webb wasn't extremely bad.

To be honest that's a clichéd remark based on nothing.

Webb was a joke, dire, terrible. Should have given red to de Jong and afterwards not try to make up for not giving it by giving everything to Spain. The goal was a joke of course. Not saying Spain didn't deserve it, but there is no way that Webb wasn't extremely bad.

It's based on your instance that Webb was a joke, dire, terrible when in all honesty he wasn't that bad. Well I don't think so and neither do a few others on here. It just sounds like your complaining because you lost.

Yes, that was a classic red card.

I never said that, did I? What Van Bommel did or didn't do has no bearing whatsoever on whether this was a red card or not, that's not how match officiating works. If you think Van Bommel is a 4-letter word of the highest order that's fine, and sure enough he is, but that doesn't mean that he deserves everything he gets and any foul on him is okay because he's done it too. If you really believe that, I'm happy you're not a ref.

I hope your being sarcastic when you say it's a classic red card. You must be joking.

I never said anything about Van Bommel. I was just asking the question 'doesn't he deserve to be punished as well?'. I never said half of the things that you said in the above paragraph so you could have saved yourself alot of typing. In that paragraph you have created an opinion for me and said that I believe in it, and then put me down for believing it when I never even said anything about it really. Quiet worrying.

I never said anything about Van Bommel. I was just asking the question 'doesn't he deserve to be punished as well?'. I never said half of the things that you said in the above paragraph so you could have saved yourself alot of typing. In that paragraph you have created an opinion for me and said that I believe in it, and then put me down for believing it when I never even said anything about it really. Quiet worrying.

Hardly as worrying as your apparent inability to understand the 2-letter word 'if'.

It was a clear corner before the Spanish goal. How could he have missed that? Puyol was obstructing Robben one on one and should have received (another) yellow at least.

1: Yes it was a corner, but Spain had to get from one end to the other, you had the chance to win the ball back twice and the challenges were too weak. IIRC two or three defenders were ball watching which allowed Iniesta to get into the acres of space.

2: Yes Puyol obstructed Robben, yet Robben stayed on his feet and the advantage was played.

One more thing Robben had two fantastic oppitunities to score but didn't take advantage.

Equally irrelevant as any Van Bommel foul was to whether Iniesta's push was red or not. Which was my point.

Anyway, we seem to be going round in circles.

We do. Agree to disagree? I don't think Iniesta's push was a red, you do.

Equally irrelevant as any Van Bommel foul was to whether Iniesta's push was red or not. Which was my point.

We do. Agree to disagree? I don't think Iniesta's push was a red, you do.

If Van Bommel was carded for stamping on Iniesta, Iniesta wouldn't of reacted as he did. Iniesta shouldn't have got a red for his push but yellow yes.

Was a poor performance not helped much by the participants.

The thing that niggled and stood out for me in his performance was his inconsistency highlighted with the carding of Xavi(iirc?) for kicking the ball away after the whistle was blown yet Robben was afforded only a warning for the exact same thing. The ruels should be applied to everyone with less discretion, blanket rules but that seems to be a problem with refereeing inconsistency.

I thought Webb had a good game but wasn't great.

To describe his performance as dire, a joke etc etc is absolutely ridiculous.

Dutch football has gone down in my estimations big time since last night. Not just the way they played but the reaction of the players and fans. Mind you I'm sure we'd be the same in general.

Archived