Howard Webb to ref the final

brett.spurs

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBC/ITV's build up to the Final settled then, we'll get 30 minutes about him with relatives/friends talking about him, rest of the time will be the pundits proclaiming him the best referee in the world and how England are the greatest in the world for referees despite having some terrible ones in the Premiership

at least he's from England though, I remember the utterly dismal attempt at claiming ownership of Perrotta because he was born in Manchester before the 2006 World Cup Final

I was hoping that he never got it so I didn't have to listen to the utter bollocks we are going to have to listen to all game from the English commentators. I suppose his team will also include the great Darren Cann, the world greatest linesman who can do no wrong?

The only game that he refed that I watched was Spain vs Switzerland and he didn't do a good job at all, I'm sure they could have found a better (and more neutral) ref for the final. Why not a good South American ref who wouldn't have as many pre-conceived ideas about the players? (i.e: Player X is a diver, player Z said I was a crap ref in the press...)

Wp to Webb for getting picked. :thup:

I wonder if Roberto Rosetti would have got it had his assistant not made that utter horror mistake for Tevez's goal? As it is, Rosetti instead announced his retirement from refereeing today. /o\

I was hoping that he never got it so I didn't have to listen to the utter bollocks we are going to have to listen to all game from the English commentators. I suppose his team will also include the great Darren Cann, the world greatest linesman who can do no wrong?

this

*sigh* :(

The only game that he refed that I watched was Spain vs Switzerland and he didn't do a good job at all, I'm sure they could have found a better (and more neutral) ref for the final. Why not a good South American ref who wouldn't have as many pre-conceived ideas about the players? (i.e: Player X is a diver, player Z said I was a crap ref in the press...)

Surely you are having a laugh?

Forgetting the fact that South American/continental refs are utterly dreadful and should never be allowed near intercontinental competition?

Very happy with Webb getting it. Maybe I can finally watch a game without hearing a ****ing whistle every 30 seconds/knowing a player will get sent off once another starts to roll on the ground like a little bitch.

ha, so true.

1974. Jack Taylor. Gave the Dutchies a pen in the first minute.
After 100 seconds, and the Germans didn't touch the ball at all.
I hope Howard Webb can continue this fine tradition :D

Oh yes, would love that.

Surely you are having a laugh?

Forgetting the fact that South American/continental refs are utterly dreadful and should never be allowed near intercontinental competition?

Oh yeah, that's right, all refs not from England are rubbish, the only refs in the world with the required standard for a game above Sunday League are English.

Surely you're the one having a laugh.

Thought the guy who reffed the Spain-Germany semi would be the one getting it. The commentator mentioned something like that.

wp to Webb. England reached the final after all!

iirc, the refs getting the semis can't get the final

Not can't but won't. QF refs usually have a shot at the final and Semi refs don't. However I'm sure if the situation deems it so, a Semi ref can be given the job.

I've seen the 3 previous games he has reffed and he hardly put a foot wrong, which is better than other refs in this tournament. Plus his assistants have been spot on with every offside call, making them the best officiating team at the tournament.

Let's just hope he doesn't make a big mistake in the Final and be remembered forever for that.

Let's just hope he doesn't make a big mistake in the Final and be remembered forever for that.

Well, he wouldn't be remembered only for that. I think it's pretty safe to say that handing out three yellow cards to one player is pretty memorable :D

Archived