Where do you put this World Cup so far?

Rebs

What World Cup has had the best football/matches?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. What World Cup has had the best football/matches?

Just thought I'd set up a thread where people can rate this world cup against others (I think it's not gonna be high!). Obviously it depends how old you are and when you watched your first World Cup. I'm mainly looking at how good the football/matches have been overall.

For me:

1. 86 - even with the hand of God it was great football - was my first tho so that might be something!

2. 98

3. 06

4. 94

5. 02

6. 10

7. 90 - I loved the fact England got so far (probs my fave for this) but the football was absolute dire!

Sorry if there's a thread about this already...be great to see if older posters (pre-86) could add their thoughts. And remember...I've rated the football/matches...not how well England have done!

Since 1990.

Last WC was easily the worst I've seen, 98 is so far above every other one it's silly. This WC is very average but it does have the potential to have some great semis and final.

1994 (apart from the Final) is the best World Cup of the last 20 years for me, Hagi/Stoichkov at the peaks of their power and some classic matches. 1990 was full of dire matches but it had more significant moments I thought. 2002 was possibly the worst from the last 20 years, not many matches to mention and the atmosphere was dire. 1998 is just better than 2006 because it had players like Zidane, Ronaldo starring, Croatia shocking the world getting 3rd and Scotland getting pumped out early but at least we were there. This World Cup is below 1998 and 2006 for me, but it's ahead of 2002

1: 1990 (My first World Cup, I wasn't old enough to appreciate how poor the football was. I was just in love with the game and the operatic drama of it all.)

2: 1994 (Featuring ROM-ARG, the last truly great game played at a World Cup, or possibly anywhere else.)

3: 2006

4: 2002

5: 1998

6: 2010

1998 - 1998 was a very French year as an Arsenal supporter. And Owen vs Argentina was special. And explaining to my Jamaican relatives that we shouldn't expect anything against Argentina was fun.

1994 - Romario & Bebeto. Also loved

. Although the most random memory I have of 1994 is Leonardo breaking USA's Tab Ramos's skull with his elbow.

1990 - Didn't see any of it at the time, but anything I've seen since has always had a great story behind it (Cameroon, England v Germany etc).

Strangely, I don't remember much about 2002 or 2006. 2010 is 4th.

Strangely, I don't remember much about 2002 or 2006. 2010 is 4th.

Apart from the Zidane headbutt, Grosso's dive and Italy winning on penalties I can't remember anything about that WC (2006), can't even remember how England got knocked out. Just a dreadful tournament all round.

I can only really remember the first 3 of these, hence 98 being bottom. But I've definitely preferred this one to the previous ones that I've seen.

This exactly. Only remember England losing and France winning the final from 1998. 2002 I enjoyed, watched as many matches as I could, despite being 10. 2006 I just found mediocre for some reason, didn't really enjoy it. Really enjoyed 2010 so far, been plenty of shocks and entertaining matches.

Apart from the Zidane headbutt, Grosso's dive and Italy winning on penalties I can't remember anything about that WC (2006), can't even remember how England got knocked out. Just a dreadful tournament all round.

I remember Argentina vs Serbia, with Cambiasso scoring one of the greatest goals in WC history, and a completley mental game between USA and Italy

I remember there being alot of yellow cards, and now you reminded me that England lost to Portugal.

2006 - Watched almost the entire tournament with a towel wrapped round my head due to the heatwave, and Italy won after everyone rubbished me for saying they would. :cool:

1994 - Some truly great players and great games. Tad too commercial for my liking though (but hardly surprising).

1998 - Great matches, good stadiums

2010 - It's all been a bit meh but some interesting games and shocks.

2002 - Was really quite dull and there is something wrong about watching football at 7.30 in the morning.

1990 - I was only 5 and barely remember it. Hence why it's bottom of my list.

Nothing wrong with the comments...they're much appreciated...but can we keep people stating order of their fave world cups so far. Add comments to your ratings to justify.

Cheers for the postings everyone...this match is getting going now...it might just get 2010 up the ratings (well...maybe!)

Can't really remember much about Italia 90 other than Platt's volley and the semi-final.

1994 would probably be the best one, even if it had the worst final. Then 1998, then this one (maybe). I'd probably put 2002 ahead of 2006 purely for the reason that England far exceeded my expectations where in the latter they underwhelmed so horrifically.

1994 was just full of classic players, I doubt we'll see another WC like that again. Letchkov and Stoichkov for Bulgaria, that diving header vs the Germans. Dhalin, Brolin, Larsson and Ravelli for Sweden. Jorge Campos with the most vile goalkeeper tops, Baresi being a machine in the final and me wondering how he hadn't died from heat exhaustion.

1994 was just full of classic players, I doubt we'll see another WC like that again. Letchkov and Stoichkov for Bulgaria, that diving header vs the Germans. Dhalin, Brolin, Larsson and Ravelli for Sweden. Jorge Campos with the most vile goalkeeper tops, Baresi being a machine in the final and me wondering how he hadn't died from heat exhaustion.

Yes, this is exactly one of the reasons why I loved it, and also because Brazil won it. :thup:

1990 was my World Cup. I was in France for the 1994 and 1998 events and the latter in particular was something special. Was a student in 2002 and watched almost every game. 2006 and this year fairly equivalent so far, don't remember 1986 or 1982 as I was 4 and not-quite-1 when they were played.

I was only 4 during 1998, but I've seen several matches since then, so I'll include it anyway. Also, can't remember much of 2002 besides the final, the sticker album, a bleeding Italian player and waking up at 2 AM to watch some Denmark match:

1998 is the answer which comes to mind. Was my first and was a great experience but don't actually remember all that much about it. Loved 06 apart from England's ineptitude, and Italy winning was a massive bonus. 02 was great for South Korea's run and Ronaldo, but other than that wasn't all that memorable. This World Cup will probably be made or broken by Argentina - would be wonderful if they won it, but otherwise, I probably won't much enjoy any of the rest of the tournament, unless Uruguay pull of 2 shock victories.

Probably 06 is my favourite on reflection. Del Piero's goal against Germany one of my favourite World Cup memories ever.

It's better than 90 so far, at least. About the same level as 06. As others have said, the sheer number of incredible players in '94 will probably not be repeated, I loved that one so much. Will have to see the last few games but it's been good if not great thus far.

02 (quality was poor, but so many upsets!)

06/10

'90

2002 because of the amazing Asian fans, not the football

2006,2010,1998,1986 all about the same, nothing special but not complete crap either.

My memories of 1978 are a bit too sketchy to really judge it, don't remember much beyond the Scotland games.

1998:

Brazil were battered by Norway who used the Flo tactic. :D Scotland were battered by Morocco.

Baggio kicked the ball deliberately to hands of a Chile player, leading to a penalty and a saved day for Italy.

Carlos Perreira was sacked after losing 0-3 to Denmark and 4-0 to France.

The last World Cup for Stoichkov, wasn't it? Spain won 6-1.

The legendary Luis Hernández. :cool:

Also the last World Cup for Lothar Matthäus and Alexi Lalas.

Romania won against England.

The first World Cup for Yoshikatsu Kawaguchi, Deon Burton, and Davor Šuker. All in one group against Argentina. :D

I could go on to 2002 and 2006, but this is already late.

2002 because of the amazing Asian fans, not the football

2006,2010,1998,1986 all about the same, nothing special but not complete crap either.

My memories of 1978 are a bit too sketchy to really judge it, don't remember much beyond the Scotland games.

the asian fans in 2002 were great

Well, every WOrld Cup had its classic moments and its fair share of throwaway matches..

It's pretty hard to me to pick one World Cup over another... 1998 was probably the best in terms of average quality, followed closely by 1986 (from what I remember, which isn't much).

1990 and 94 were a matter of individual performances.

2002 was meh, while 2006 has to be the worst World Cup in recent history.

2010 so far has picked up some steam after a lackluster opening, but the presence of some bland outsiders in the Round of 16 kinda ruined the excitement of classic matches.

Archived