Uquillas

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 teams in QF

4 from SA (out of 5) = 80%

3 from Europe (out of 13) = 23%

1 from Africa (out of 6) = 17%

They should give SA an extra birth for next WC.

Bollocks to that - you get roughly half the teams down there qualify for the World Cup - don't need more stinking the place out.

If you ask me - they should remove the "5th Place Team Qualifying via a playoff" and give it to someone outright like North America or Africa

No need to start this kind of discussion in another thread, and who knows if Germany, Holland and Spain won't knock-out Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay, leaving Europe with 3 teams in the semis vs up to 1 from South America (Uruguay, if they beat Ghana).

they should either take a spot from Africa or North America and give it to South America, we should have 6.5 teams

That would be way too many, I think upping from 4.5 to 5 would be reasonable to get rid of those silly playoffs, but more than 5 looks an exaggeration and would make the Quals a bit pointless for most teams.

Got to admit, I'm disappointed by the European showing this summer. I think some of our teams in particular have been embarrassing - not just obvious examples like France and Italy but teams like Denmark and Portugal have been disappointing in their attitude to the tournament. That's a personal observation anyway. Still, hopefully they'll reassert themselves quite quickly on the tournament. Having said all that, I'd love an Argentina-Brazil final :D

I'd give anything to be able to easily watch South American football on tele here. I think if it was given more exposure in Europe it would soon become popular. It's probably a British thing saying this as typically our attitude to the Europa League isn't that great, but I'd swap it anyday to see the Copa Libertadores. Channel 4 used to show highlights of it and it was brilliant, but away from Sky there's no way to see them now.

8 teams in QF

If it's an all South America semifinal, then maybe. :D

Combine those North American and South American spots and have a big 'ol qualifiying love-in, South American teams must get fed up facing each other all the time and then ... yay, it's Copa America ... who we got, oh, Chile again

Think the playoff is fine, Uruguay beat Costa Rica in this particular playoff. Would rather have Uruguay than Costa Rica tbh.

Let's completely disregard any other football matches and base berths into the WC on one Quarter Final where 50% of the teams are from South America and 37.5% are from Europe, well played :thup:

Tbh can't see Europe doing much better in 2014. Southern hemishpere again. In South America. tropical climate. South America should be able to have a strong showing again.

Quick glance at BBC weather, places are 30 degrees in Brazil around this time of the year. And you thought England's showing this year was bad. Wait till 2014 :D

It's not always South America vs CONCACAF though, depends where it's being held

Oh, I thought that was how it always was.

Apparently CONMEBOL played OFC in 2006, while CONCACAF played AFC. Why does it switch like that though? It was in Germany in '06 so why would it change from that to CONMEBOL vs CONCACAF and OFC vs AFC in '10? I can understand if it was being held in that particular confederation's country, but even in '02 AFC played UEFA. Very strange to me.

I think it all depends on where the host country is, sometimes Europe has a half spot, CONMEBOL always has one, not sure if that'll be 5 full spots or stick with 4 1/2 for Brazil 2014 as Brazil will obviously qualify automatically which would mean there are 3 1/2 spots to play for.

I mean Kiwis played off against Bahrain for this too, Costa Rica could probably beat both of those.

Not quite sure how they decide which federation will play which federation in these things but I am sure it changes depending on the host continent

Yea I knew New Zealand played Bahrain.

I just assumed it the confederations that were close in location would play a qualifier. Oceania closer to Asia (because of Australia) and North America closer to South America.

Then if the WC was played in a South/North American or Oceanic/Asian country then it would just take away one spot from that particular qualifying confederation because of the host. FIFA always confuse me, this is no different.

Completely different from South African climate. What's your point ?
No European team has won the World Cup outside of continental Europe except England at home in 1966. Why would they start now?

Seems to apply.

8 teams in QF

The way you have chosen to respresent the statistics is slightly biased. Europe has a lot more teams involved to start with so even if all eight teams left in the competition were European they'd only manage 8/13 = 62%.

The six European teams in the last 16 also all played each other so there was no way for more then three to get through, if the South American teams had played each other they would also have only three teams left in the competition. Looking at the QF match ups there is a decent chance that no South American teams will make it to the SF. So if Germany, Spain, and the Netherlands all win it will be alright for people to start saying that Europe should have more berths next time?

Completely different from South African climate. What's your point ?

I wouldn't say completely. Northern Brazil, yeah, but southern? It's pretty much the same latitude iirc. At least I find it interesting that in Buenos Aires we've been having pretty much the same weather as in Port Elizabeth.

About the weather...you could argue that a cool weather is possible in Porto Alegre and, to some extent, Curitiba. Once in a (very long...) while, you´d find Sao Paulo cold as well - but very unlikely to compare with Johannesburg.

And that´s it. But despite WC 14 being placed in the Winter in Brazil, I honestly think the temperatures will be way warmer than in South Africa. And possibly hotter than most of the German cities of 06.

Cheers,

Tele

Yea I knew New Zealand played Bahrain.

I just assumed it the confederations that were close in location would play a qualifier. Oceania closer to Asia (because of Australia) and North America closer to South America.

Then if the WC was played in a South/North American or Oceanic/Asian country then it would just take away one spot from that particular qualifying confederation because of the host. FIFA always confuse me, this is no different.

North America isn't necessarily closer to South America. Washington DC is much closer to London or Paris than it is to Buenos Aires or Santiago de Chile. Los Angeles is closer to Tokyo than it is to Buenos Aires as well.

I'm all for a world qualifying anyway, if all the South American internationals playing in European leagues can fly back home for the qualifiers I don't see why an entire team couldn't fly from one continent to another. Cost is a BS excuse, 30 plane tickets to go around the world really don't cost that much and we're talking about the richest sporting organization in the world.

North America isn't necessarily closer to South America. Washington DC is much closer to London or Paris than it is to Buenos Aires or Santiago de Chile. Los Angeles is closer to Tokyo than it is to Buenos Aires as well.

I'm all for a world qualifying anyway, if all the South American internationals playing in European leagues can fly back home for the qualifiers I don't see why an entire team couldn't fly from one continent to another. Cost is a BS excuse, 30 plane tickets to go around the world really don't cost that much and we're talking about the richest sporting organization in the world.

I guess if you put it in that sense, location is different.

World Qualifying? I think each confederation wants to be represented in some way. If you were from Asia and not one Asian team qualified, a lot less people would watch it.

I guess if you put it in that sense, location is different.

World Qualifying? I think each confederation wants to be represented in some way. If you were from Asia and not one Asian team qualified, a lot less people would watch it.

Give an automatic berth to the holder of each continental competition to guarantee at least one entrant per confederation then.

Meh, that's just incidental...

To be fair Paraguay has NO BUSINESS in a WC quarterfinal... They have lucked out so much it's not even a "fairytale" anymore...

Italy's sorry excuse for a team offered Paraguay the 1st place in the group on a silver platter, and they BARELY got it.

Then they faced the other weakest team that got promoted, another team that was there more due to other teams' shortcomings [Cameroon and Denmark] than due to their own merit.

Paraguay are playing some sort of anti-football... Something so defensive and ugly not even the most mediocre Italian side would resort to.

And they can't even play counterattack, with those awful strikers...

Then there's Uruguay... another side which, with a different draw, and with a less ridiculous France team, wouldn't have had such a relatively easy way to the QF.

So, before advocating this of that confederation to get more WC spots, we should put the results into perspective...

Meh, that's just incidental...

To be fair Paraguay has NO BUSINESS in a WC quarterfinal... They have lucked out so much it's not even a "fairytale" anymore...

Italy's sorry excuse for a team offered Paraguay the 1st place in the group on a silver platter, and they BARELY got it.

Then they faced the other weakest team that got promoted, another team that was there more due to other teams' shortcomings [Cameroon and Denmark] than due to their own merit.

Paraguay are playing some sort of anti-football... Something so defensive and ugly not even the most mediocre Italian side would resort to.

And they can't even play counterattack, with those awful strikers...

Then there's Uruguay... another side which, with a different draw, and with a less ridiculous France team, wouldn't have had such a relatively easy way to the QF.

So, before advocating this of that confederation to get more WC spots, we should put the results into perspective...

I don't agree with anything you say here.

Care to explain why?

The fact that Italy were not a good team is not Paraguay's fault. Nobody expects Paraguay to be world beaters - they've never advanced beyond the 2nd round of a World Cup before. They comfortably beat Slovakia and played out a dead rubber with New Zealand - a game they only had to draw to progress. That's efficient, not lucky.

Thereafter they played a Japan team who were solid against Cameroon, unlucky against Holland and devastating against Denmark and who I think were probably favoured over them, but were able to hold them off and probably edged the game in terms of chances and creativity. They then scored every penalty, so you can't criticise them for that.

As for awful strikers, I think Benfica fans would disagree. Admittedly Santa Cruz seems off the pace, but they still have skillful players and deserve at least as much credit as Chile have received, in my view.

Uruguay have been impressive throughout the tournament, solid at the back and creative in attack. To say a harder draw would have given them harder games is silly, the same could be said of every team in the competition!

tbh he's right about Paraguay. not been amazing. Got a bit lucky. I mean they've drawn their last 2 games 0-0 with NZ and Japan ffs

They didn't need to beat NZ though, and Japan are a really good side.

paraguay have been lucky, but then every single world cup you'll get teams who get an easy/easier path, or who get through despite not playing brilliantly, or who get lucky in some other way. germany's route to the final last time they reached it was **** easy.

it's not as if paraguay should just turn round and just offer their place up to the ivory coast or some other team who've been unlucky

Archived