[Guide] How to add a Manager Picture in FM2010

michaeltmurrayuk

[NOTE: Whilst the Screens are now slightly different the same methods apply to FM2013 as they do to FM2010]

Before you start you need to have a couple of things:

Image Editing Program that can handle transparent png files, I recommend using whatever program you are most comfortable with but if you don't already have one free alternatives are Paint.NET and The GIMP.

A Text Editor to create the config file(s), Notepad will work fine however I recommend Notepad++ if you are doing a fair bit of xml work. Alternatively you can use one of the many automated programs to create your config file.

Next you need to decide what kind of image you want to use, if you want to add a picture that looks like your player pictures then you'll need to read this guide first: How To Create FM2010 Player Faces. If you just want to use any image you don't need to read that guide.

Once you have your image there are a couple of ways to add a picture to your manager in FM2010 as described in the next two sections.:

1. When Creating Your Manager Profile

The easiest way to add an image for your manager is when creating your manager profile. After selecting your Name, Gender, Date of Birth, Nationality and Favourite Team the game then gives you an option to import a picture for your manager:

createmanager.jpg

To add a picture all you need to do is click the "Select Picture" option and in the dialog box that appears browse to where your image is located and select it – if your image is in the jpg or png format the game should be able to pick it up, the game will also resize it for you aswell.

Then when you have confirmed your details your chosen image should appear in your profile:

managerprofilea.jpg

2. Adding the image manually.

If you forgot to add an image to your manager when starting or it's disappeared you can still add an image to your manager, and this is done in exactly the same way as you would add/create kits, logos or normal player pictures.

First you need to locate the image you want to use and copy it into the graphics folder within your User Data Folder, the location of your User Data Folder by default is (Replace XX with the version of FM you are using):

My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 20XX\

Then browse to the graphics folder (if you don't have one create one) and then I'd recommend giving your manager picture its own folder (the name doesn't matter) and copy your chosen picture into this folder. Again the size of the image you use doesn't really matter as the game will resize it.

Next we need to create a config file for your manager picture (to link the image to your manager), in the folder where you have just put your manager picture create a new text document and open it with notepad, now paste the following into the file:

<record>

<!-- resource manager options -->

<!-- dont preload anything in this folder -->

<boolean id="preload" value="false"/>

<!-- turn off auto mapping -->

<boolean id="amap" value="false"/>

<!-- logo mappings -->

<!-- the following XML maps pictures inside this folder into other positions

in the resource system, which allows this folder to be dropped into any place in the graphics folder and still have the game pick up the graphics files from the correct places -->

<list id="maps">

[iNSERT BELOW CODE HERE]

</list>

</record>

Now there are two ways of entering the code to link your manager picture to your manager, the first is the same as for adding logos, kits and player faces:

<record from="
{FILE_NAME}
" to="graphics/pictures/person/
{UNIQUE ID}
/portrait"/>

This method requires you to know your manager's id – which can be found by going into the Preferences -> Display & Sound Menu and ticking 'Show Unique Ids' now if you click confirm and go back to your manager profile page you'll notice a long line of numbers has appeared next to your manager name this is your ID.

You replace {FILE_NAME} with the name of your image and you replace {UNIQUE ID} with your managers id. So for example I called my image manager and my id is 2023115564 the code I need to put in the file is:

<record from="manager" to="graphics/pictures/person/2023115564/portrait"/>

So I would then past this code into the text file in place of the [iNSERT BELOW CODE HERE] text from above and your config file should look like this:

<record>

<!-- logo mappings -->

in the resource system, which allows this folder to be dropped into any place in the graphics folder and still have the game pick up the graphics files from the correct places -->

<list id="maps">

<record from="manager" to="graphics/pictures/person/2023115564/portrait"/>

</list>

</record>

NOTE: THE SECOND METHOD DOES NOT WORK WITH FM12 or FM13

The second method requires you to know your manager's name and date of birth and you paste this code into the file:

<record from="
{FILE_NAME}
" to="graphics/pictures/person/
{MANGER_FIRSTNAME} {MANAGER_SURNAME} {BIRTHDAY_DD}-{BIRTH_MONTH_MM}
/portrait"/>

So for example my image is called manager and my manager's name is Michael Murray and his birthdate is 12th November so I enter:

<record from="manager" to="graphics/pictures/person/michael murray 12-11/portrait"/>

In place of the [iNSERT BELOW CODE HERE] text.

If you have done it right your file should look like this:

<record>

<!-- logo mappings -->

<list id="maps">

<record from="manager" to="graphics/pictures/person/michael murray 12-11/portrait"/>

</list>

</record>

Now that you have pasted in the line that you want you need to save the file and you need to ensure you save the file as config.xml – the .xml bit is important you need to ensure the file turns into an xml type document and DOESN'T get renamed config.xml.txt

So with the file saved the final step is to go into FM2010 into the Preferences -> Display & Sound Menu and untick 'Use Skin Cache' and tick 'Always Reload Skin On Confirm' and your chosen image should appear like below:

managerprofilea.jpg

---

A pdf version of this guide can be downloaded from the bottom of this page:

http://sites.google.com/site/michaeltmurrayuk/index-guides/howtoaddmanagerpicture

Redistribution Terms:

You are free to do what you want with this guide providing you meet the follow terms:

1. It is not to be sold.

2. My name and web address stay attached to it and I am credited as the author.

3. It is not to be advertised as being exclusive to your site.

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

One important tip when using the unique ID method I discovered...

I first had my image named "Heath", but that didn't work and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why.

When I renamed the image "heath" in all lower case letters, along with the relevant change to the config file, it worked. :)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've tried that and it didn't work, no change happens. I did it by making a config file, I tried by adding the line to the cut-out megapack config file, same outcome.

I thought it might be the pic, so I took one out of the megapack and changed its name, made no difference either.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys, I see that this thread is inactive for last 3 years but I hope that someone will see this. I have an issue when I want to add manager picture at the beginning of creating profile. Just to mention, I have original steam version.

I wanted to use .png file but it doesn't allow me (it says that this format can't be used). Then I tried to use another format like .jpg but it's the same.

I tried to use cut out facepack (180x180) and I also tried to make config file but it won't work.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like it has been disabled in patch 17.3, you can try and see if it still works in the TCS skin as the author of that skin enabled it slightly different. If that doesn't work then looks like it has been fully disabled by SI and isn't likely to come back unless they re-add the feature for FM18.

And why??

99 procent of the user's want their own manager picture insteed of this kid look a like that they have made 

Not even good made again SI made me more or less furious.

Can't understand why it couldnt be like it was worked fine for all users 

What a joke 

Yes seems we can no long make this work again. Even tried adding my manager number to the config in my facepack with my picture and still doesn't work. Not even with the TCS skin. Pretty annoying. SI like to spoil good mods and make skinning harder and hard with each patch. Even youth and senior training stars don't show in the game now. 

• 3 years later...