Retirement age

I am currently manager of Belgium.. suddenly, out of nowhere I get an announcement from Kompany that set to retire from football- thing is, he is only 29!!! Since when do players retire before their 30's? It is very annoying as he is 1 of the national teams key players... :(

Fernando Torres did it to me mate, its ****ing annoying! mine was because theyd just got to the final of the euro championships and i guess he felt his time had gone and wanted to just focus on club football for the last sprint in his career maybe the player thinking somthing as simple as that and si have put it in the game

No injury at all, and not even just international retirement but full retirement! I can't think of a like-for-like example in the real world, nor has it ever happened to me on FM before... strange

Sometimes when your international side isn't qualifying for the big competitions the player just gets bored and retires.

Berbatov for e.g

have you qualified for the next big comp?

Halfway through my first qualifying campaign with them for the Euros,I am 1st in a group with Turkey and Scotland the other 2 main protagonists, won 4 drew 1 away to Turkey and they qualified for last world cup without me at the helm. As I say he is retiring from the club scene as well so its immaterial anyway. Possible bug? Still in first team in PSG, only reason he gave was to give the young'uns a chance, even though he was still in 1st team plans. Oh well...

happened to me, James Vaughn who was in my 1st team england squad, and on wickid form in the league decided to retire at 29,6 months before the world cup.

he would have been going with the squad no doubt about it, probs as my 2nd choice striker behind roone.

the little git

I am currently manager of Belgium.. suddenly, out of nowhere I get an announcement from Kompany that set to retire from football- thing is, he is only 29!!! Since when do players retire before their 30's? It is very annoying as he is 1 of the national teams key players... :(

Scholes quit england at 29 irl.

Scholes quit england at 29 irl.

But he didnt retire from club football, which is what happend with the OP..I personally have not had this happen to me yet, the youngest a player has retired from football for me has been 33 and im guessing that was only due to him rotting in the reserves for two seasons..

happened to me, James Vaughn who was in my 1st team england squad, and on wickid form in the league decided to retire at 29,6 months before the world cup.

he would have been going with the squad no doubt about it, probs as my 2nd choice striker behind roone.

the little git

Kompany was 29 yrs 2 months so I guess I just about beat you :p Just down to bad luck then I guess- maybe there is a certain % chance of retiring at particular ages starting at 29 i reckon.

Shane Supple and Peter Knowles IRL, Supple because he was bored of the game and Knowles because he became a Jehovah's Witness. To be honest I'm a bit surprised more players don't quit football younger than they do. It would be impossible to model fairly in the game though. I remember playing a management game once where I had a player leave football to become a TV presenter - it was cute and amusing the first time but when it happened again it was just aggravating.

Just down to bad luck then I guess- maybe there is a certain % chance of retiring at particular ages starting at 29 i reckon.

I suspect you're right - I don't really see how else they could do it.

The most annoying FM retirement I had was Jari Litmanen a few versions ago - he signed a (lucrative) new contract at the end of the season, picked up the money for three months and then called it a day on the eve of the new campaign.

Add another manager and take over his club side and see if you can persuade him to reconsider his retirement. If you cant then I would mention it in the bugs forum becuse if he isnt retiring because of injury then I think its more than just a coincindence that its happening with other players as well.

Archived