The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Has anyone seen the C4 adverts previewing the Ashes icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sky's are better, Warne is fffffffb icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There not previewing the Ashes though. icon_razz.gif

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Has anyone seen the C4 adverts previewing the Ashes icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sky's are better, Warne is fffffffb icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That adverts pap, there's no way Warne's over 200 years old icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

Is McGrath better than Harmison on paper? Of course! But if Harmison fires on all cylinders and McGrath doesnt who's the better bowler? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

McGrath would still probably be better icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

ok, yeah, but im seeing lashings on friday </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Much fer a ticket and how easy is it to get to Grace Road from the city centre or wherever the train station is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

£10 for plebs, £5 for members. Play starts at 5.30pm. Viv Richards is signed up for Lashings this season, don't know if he'll be playing or not but I sure hope so icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Sir Viv alas...but VVS \0/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The Lashings squad is: H Gibbs, G Blewett, V V S Laxman, C Harris, C Cairns, J Adams, R Latif, J Srinath, V Drakes, T Best, A Nel, R Richardson, H Marshall.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the official squad but as far as I know Nel didn't sign for Lashings in the end and Best is unlikely to be there, so they will need another bowler or two...Saqlain being a strong possibility.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

John Crawley w/ifb! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I watched him score an all-run 5 at the MCG one day..or maybe he was chasing it from bat pad. I just remember thinking "John Crawley, 5 runs" icon_biggrin.gif

England won't win a single test, it'll be 3-0 to the aussies at the end. We've got a gimme wicket for the aussies in Trescothick at the top of the order and the tail won't score any runs. Plus our bowling attack always seems to have one or two members not in form.

i dont think England will win and i will be interested to see how the media reacts if England lose...will they stay positive as England have recently proved to be the second best team in the world, or will they do their usual 'build em up and smash em down' technique.

I'm very much looking forward to the 20/20 game though, anybody know what time it starts? it's on the day of my last uni exam...i can get ruined watching it on tv!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SSES:

I'm very much looking forward to the 20/20 game though, anybody know what time it starts? it's on the day of my last uni exam...i can get ruined watching it on tv!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It starts at 5:30pm this monday icon14.gif

Can't be bothered to find the county cricket thread so I'll post it here, after the Pakistan test finished this morning they went to an interview Charles Colville did with Shoaib Akhtar as he's just arrived at Worcestershire.

Colville: So why have you decided to play for Worcestershire?

Shoaib: Err....I had nothing else to do

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SSES:

i dont think England will win and i will be interested to see how the media reacts if England lose...will they stay positive as England have recently proved to be the second best team in the world, or will they do their usual 'build em up and smash em down' technique.

I'm very much looking forward to the 20/20 game though, anybody know what time it starts? it's on the day of my last uni exam...i can get ruined watching it on tv!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess it depends on the nature of the defeat. If it is similar to previous drubbings i.e. innings defeats and a 4-1 series defeat with us winning the dead rubber then the media will probably call them pap. If however we push the Aussies close in each and every test (which I reckon we can) then the media will probably be quite supportive.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

John Crawley was sh*t.

I wouldn't disagree with a lot of that scatter, but Harmison gets in ahead of Katich. Gilchrist and Flintoff at 7 and 8 is a waste. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best nickname ever though.

John 'Creepy' Crawley icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alvaro:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

Is McGrath better than Harmison on paper? Of course! But if Harmison fires on all cylinders and McGrath doesnt who's the better bowler? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

McGrath would still <STRIKE>probably</STRIKE> be better </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fixed icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Low_Flying_Seagull:

Im sure i heard a few months back that all the test matches were gonna be on sky only, true? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the last ever test series to be shown on Ch 4. After this all international cricket moves over to Sky icon13.gif Sky will have to get a much better commentary team before the ECB have even moved away from making a **** decision.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

Can't be bothered to find the county cricket thread so I'll post it here, after the Pakistan test finished this morning they went to an interview Charles Colville did with Shoaib Akhtar as he's just arrived at Worcestershire.

icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that a verbatim quote? If so, \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alvaro:

McGrath would still <STRIKE>probably</STRIKE> be better </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fixed icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, that's just been arrogant icon15.gificon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by parlour15:

This will possibly be the last Ashes series for McGrath (though I hope I am wrong)...... Aussies should win 4-1 (if rain doesn't play a major part in it). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe when we visit you, but by the time you visit us again in 4 years time i expect half your team would have retired icon_wink.gif

This is the best auction ever;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Sachin Tendulkar and Shane Warne will give a wealthy fan the opportunity of a lifetime with one-on-one tips during next Tuesday's tsunami appeal match between MCC and an International XI at Lord's. During the lunch break the highest on-line auction bidder for the prize will receive 15 minutes of coaching from Tendulkar before walking out to the middle to face an over from Warne, the world's leading Test wicket-taker.

Tom Graveney, the MCC president and former England batsman, said it was an incredible chance for a supporter to live the dream of batting against Warne at Lord's in front of a large crowd and worldwide television audience. "We hope that this amazing opportunity, which has been made possible by the generosity and co-operation of Shane and Sachin, will raise a significant additional sum for the tsunami appeal."

The auction begins at 1400GMT on Wednesday, June 8 and closes at 1400GMT on Saturday, June 11. Bids can be placed at http://www.cricketrelief.org and the winner also receives two tickets to the match.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I reckon I need about £150,000 to be sure of winning so who's gonna sub me?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hermolt:

icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that a verbatim quote? If so, \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was either "nothing else to do" or "nothing better" or something like that, will go check later for confirmation as I have it on Sky+ somewhere I think.

I'd hit with the spin and reverse sweep the very first ball I faced tbh the sledge him hoping he'd try and bounce me icon_cool.gif

Remember when Surrey had those competitions between innings in their one day games where you'd have an over to try and hit Saqlain for 6 and win a ton of cash? I remember nobody got close until one day someone hit him for a one bounce four, the look on Saqlain's face icon_biggrin.gif

Pietersen ready for Aussie test

Twenty20 match, Arundel: PCA Masters v Australia

Match starts 1730 BST Thursday

England hopefuls Kevin Pietersen and Chris Tremlett will get an early chance to prove their worth against Australia after being named in a Twenty20 side.

They will both play for the Professional Cricketers' Association at Arundel Castle in the first game of Australia's Ashes tour.

The PCA XI will be captained by Stephen Fleming and also includes old-timers Devon Malcolm and Chris Lewis.

"I'm really excited to be playing this game," Hampshire's Pietersen said.

"Australia are currently leading the way in world cricket and I'm relishing the opportunity to compete against them.

"It should be a great day, and the 20-over format is sure to produce some fireworks."

England and Durham all-rounder Paul Collingwood, who was also named in the XI, added: "The game presents a chance to have a first crack at the Aussies on their Ashes tour.

"Walking out onto the field alongside the likes of Stephen Fleming will be a great thrill and it's sure to be a cracker of a game.

"Arundel will be packed to the rafters."

Australia have yet to name their team but it is set to be their starting XI which will play the international Twenty20 against England on Monday.

Money raised from the game will go towards the PCA and the Australian Cricketers' Association, for education, community and benevolence projects.

The PCA will also make a donation towards Hampshire and Sussex youth cricket funds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCA XI: Stephen Fleming (captain), Paul Collingwood, Devon Malcolm, Darren Maddy, Paul Nixon (wkt), Chris Lewis, Graeme Swann, Mark Ealham, Kevin Pietersen, Shaun Udal, Chris Tremlett.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mon Big Kev and Tremlett making an impression icon_mad.gif

But we all know The Eal will steal the show icon_cool.gif

Does anyone know if the selectors are going to continue with G Jones opening or admit they've made a mistake and stick him back to 7 where he belongs? Personally my team would be:

Tresco

Strauss

Vaughan

Pietersen

Freddie

Collingwood

G Jones

Giles

Gough

Tremlett

Harmison/Ali/S Jones/Hoggard/Anderson/Wharf

Although Strauss wont open, Tremlett wont be in the team and Sowanki will probably play icon13.gif

Pietersen ready for Aussie test

Twenty20 match, Arundel: PCA Masters v Australia

Match starts 1730 BST Thursday

England hopefuls Kevin Pietersen and Chris Tremlett will get an early chance to prove their worth against Australia after being named in a Twenty20 side.

They will both play for the Professional Cricketers' Association at Arundel Castle in the first game of Australia's Ashes tour.

The PCA XI will be captained by Stephen Fleming and also includes old-timers Devon Malcolm and Chris Lewis.

"I'm really excited to be playing this game," Hampshire's Pietersen said.

"Australia are currently leading the way in world cricket and I'm relishing the opportunity to compete against them.

"It should be a great day, and the 20-over format is sure to produce some fireworks."

England and Durham all-rounder Paul Collingwood, who was also named in the XI, added: "The game presents a chance to have a first crack at the Aussies on their Ashes tour.

"Walking out onto the field alongside the likes of Stephen Fleming will be a great thrill and it's sure to be a cracker of a game.

"Arundel will be packed to the rafters."

Australia have yet to name their team but it is set to be their starting XI which will play the international Twenty20 against England on Monday.

Money raised from the game will go towards the PCA and the Australian Cricketers' Association, for education, community and benevolence projects.

The PCA will also make a donation towards Hampshire and Sussex youth cricket funds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCA XI: Stephen Fleming (captain), Paul Collingwood, Devon Malcolm, Darren Maddy, Paul Nixon (wkt), Chris Lewis, Graeme Swann, Mark Ealham, Kevin Pietersen, Shaun Udal, Chris Tremlett.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mon Big Kev and Tremlett making an impression icon_mad.gif

But we all know The Eal will steal the show icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Big Dev > * \o/

and the biggest unfulfilled English cricket talent of the last 20 years, Chris Lewis /o\

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

that could be anybody, you can't see the face icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but Pietersen is one of the few cricketers cuntish enough to own one of those crappy pseudo-charity wristbands icon_frown.gif

Enjoyable game at Grace Road this evening, Lashings came home in the final over to win by 5 wickets.

My kids got their first ever autographs. Not just any old autographs either. Having sat nonchalantly ignoring the fact that at various points in the first innings they had Chris Cairns, Javagal Srinath and Herschelle Gibbs fielding about 2 feet in front of them, they got the big one, yes, you guessed it....JOHN SADLER of Leics!!

Other points of note;

The Marshall brothers had their hair frizzed in that wacky style they occasionally favour.

Srinath is still pretty damn quick for an old guy.

When Cairns blocked the first 3 balls of a Jeremy Snape over the announcer commentated on what respect he was showing the bowler....only for Cairns to casually flick the next ball over Snapes head, long on, the boundary, the seating and the roof of the stand, finishing somewhere in the car park.

Most importantly, Laxman is god like. He was head and shoulders above everyone else playing there, notably during a long partnership with Gibbs, and he is just a joy to watch.

Archived