The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

If he is im supporting the Aussies icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's just your excuse to jump on the bandwagon icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

I never saw Kasprowicz as more than an average bowler - I think the English would be far happier to see him bowling than Lee </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't really rate him before but 40 odd wickets last year at an average of around 20 changed my mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alvaro:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

If he is im supporting the Aussies icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's just your excuse to jump on the bandwagon icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember you're only as good as your last game, and the last time we played i seem to recall we kicked yo' ass icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Flintoff action under the spotlight

Cricinfo staff

June 6, 2005

Allegations that Andrew Flintoff is a chucker were brusquely dismissed by Michael Vaughan after England's seven-session defeat of Bangladesh at Chester-le-Street.

The claim was made by Peter Roebuck in Saturday's Sydney Morning Herald. In his article, which was syndicated throughout Australia, he wrote that Flintoff's final spell in the first Test at Lord's "contained some of the most blatant transgressions of the law covering legitimate actions seen in respectable company this year". He continued: "Flintoff's action seems to deteriorate when he searches for an extra yard of pace and especially when he moves around the wicket and starts to pound the middle of the pitch. Then his naturally open-chested style betrays him."

Roebuck, the former Somerset captain who now lives much of the year in Australia, appears to have little time for England, and unsurprisingly, his latest outburst found few supporters.

Vaughan brushed aside a post-match question on the matter. "Peter hasn't been in the country," he said. "He's watching it on TV. I have no worries at all about Freddie's action." Dav Whatmore, Bangladesh's coach, added that he had "no complaints".

Flintoff was analysed by ICC officials during last September's Champions Trophy in England - he was one of a number of bowlers who were scrutinised - and his action was found to be well within the 15 degree limit.

It was rumoured that two umpires during last summer's series against West Indies were interested enough to look at television replays at the end of a day's play but that, after reviewing his action, they decided that there was nothing untoward.

Roebuck went to some lengths to deny that his remarks resulted from an anti-English bitterness. "Craven nationalists reacted with fury the last time this column drew attention to Flintoff's action. A regrettable tendency has arisen in some quarters to play the man and not the ball. Not that every delivery was condemned, or every spell. What is the old saying? There are none so blind as those that will not see?

"Flintoff's action is not the real issue," he concluded. "England's lack of rigour is the problem. Long regarded as the guardian of the game, it contributed little to the investigation of corruption (even in county cricket)."

© Cricinfo

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Biggest.Pile.Of B0ll0cks.Ever. tbqh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

I never saw Kasprowicz as more than an average bowler - I think the English would be far happier to see him bowling than Lee </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

heh, i seem to remember similar quotes about both terry alderman and paul reiffel - and they both tore you to pieces... icon14.gif

for those saying that the conditions will suit kasper better - that's just plain bs. kasper likes the pitches dusty and flat because those are the conditions he generates massive amounts of reverse swing in - ie india and the subcontinent, the reason why he got back in the squad was because of where we were touring. lee would obviously prefer firmer tracks for the bounce, but i think if he keeps it pitched up in england, with that inswinging yorker and stock outswinger of his, he'll be dangerous.

the other factor in lees favour is that flintoff is his bunny in odi's, and the english top order is pretty much untested against genuine pace...

There's been rumours about Flintoff's action for years so it was only a matter of time before somebody made the public accusations, not surprised it's Roebuck given that he writes a lot of articles for the Indian market and this is an effort to try and make himself look a bit more neutral so he can go back to slagging off Pakistani players again without being accused of bias icon_wink.gif

Gillespie is going to be amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy in the English conditions early on

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

for those saying that the conditions will suit kasper better - that's just plain bs. kasper likes the pitches dusty and flat because those are the conditions he generates massive amounts of reverse swing in - ie india and the subcontinent, the reason why he got back in the squad was because of where we were touring. lee would obviously prefer firmer tracks for the bounce, but i think if he keeps it pitched up in england, with that inswinging yorker and stock outswinger of his, he'll be dangerous.

the other factor in lees favour is that flintoff is his bunny in odi's, and the english top order is pretty much untested against genuine pace... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The key in England in the often damp conditions is to hit the seam short of a good length. Kasprowicz is simply a more accurate bowler than Lee and will therefore most likely be more useful in this respect.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

There's been rumours about Flintoff's action for years so it was only a matter of time before somebody made the public accusations, not surprised it's Roebuck given that he writes a lot of articles for the Indian market and this is an effort to try and make himself look a bit more neutral so he can go back to slagging off Pakistani players again without being accused of bias icon_wink.gif

Gillespie is going to be amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy in the English conditions early on </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roebuck criticises everyone. He was calling for Steve Waugh's axing the day he became captain for Australia and pretty much continued non-stop to the day he retired.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

I like Kasp a lot actually, not sure he's any better than Dizzy/Lee but on his day he can be f*cking dangerous

Damien Fleming > Paul Reiffel mind </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both Victorians, both fb.

Kasprowicz, Lee, whoever, it doesn't matter, what will decide the series is whether England can take 20 wickets for a reasonable amount of runs. I don't think they can :/

And the pitches won't be that damp going on what they've been like for the last 3 or so summers. They'll be good batting wickets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Okon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

Gillespie is going to be amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy in the English conditions early on </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roebuck criticises everyone. He was calling for Steve Waugh's axing the day he became captain for Australia and pretty much continued non-stop to the day he retired. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I seem to recall Roebuck writing a piece about Youhana after he'd scored a century in a test down under against the Aussies when he was captain when Inzi was out due to injury and he ended it with something about how the Aussies probably couldn't wait until a Muslim was Pakistan captain against or something completely random like that. What an arsehole he is icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

ok, yeah, but im seeing lashings on friday </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Much fer a ticket and how easy is it to get to Grace Road from the city centre or wherever the train station is?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

Much fer a ticket and how easy is it to get to Grace Road from the city centre or wherever the train station is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not too difficult to get a bus from teh train station, probably about 30 mins by time you have walked into town, got the bus and walked to Grace Road from the bus stop

Much fer a ticket and how easy is it to get to Grace Road from the city centre or wherever the train station is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh no, i'm watching lashings play cambridge uni, HOWEVER, they are playing at grace road on thursday icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

right, grace road from the train station is a 20-25 minute walk, i could draw you a map? you could probably catch a bus back into the city centre, but im not sure where to catch one from in the city centre

not sure how much, i'd advise you phone the club

I thought we were playing Hampshire not Leicestershire this Saturday? Anyway, is it a twenty20 match?

The squad for the Natwest Series and twenty20 match:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> * Michael Vaughan (Yorkshire, captain)

* Kabir Ali (Worcestershire)

* Paul Collingwood (Durham)

* Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire)

* Ashley Giles (Warwickshire)

* Darren Gough (Essex)

* Stephen Harmison (Durham)

* Geraint Jones (Kent)

* Simon Jones (Glamorgan)

* Jon Lewis (Gloucestershire)

* Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire)

* Vikram Solanki (Worcestershire)

* Andrew Strauss (Middlesex)

* Marcus Trescothick (Somerset) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't wait for next Monday, should be fb icon14.gif Freddie and Pietersen to open anyone?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrsunshine:

the problem with these england team these days is not enough sussex players icon_mad.gif if we had james kirtley we'd skittle these aussies no problems icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haven't we got enough problems over dodgy actions as it is? icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrsunshine:

the problem with these england team these days is not enough sussex players icon_mad.gif if we had james kirtley we'd skittle these aussies no problems icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haven't we got enough problems over dodgy actions as it is? icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

slander tbh, it was proved as legal in an air tunnel thing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bouncerboy13:

England to get close in each test but lose them all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One is always washed out by the rain icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

Butcher won't even play icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I think he meant Butcher's 170-odd at Headingley as an example of the point he was making tbh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tanman007:

Well how about Strauss ,Trescothick or Pieterson...

tbh the only English batter I rate and who will trouble our bowlers is M. Vaughan, that guy was brilliant when England came down under two years ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ian Bell > * >>>>>>>> Pietersen ffs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Orginally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

Ian Bell > * >>>>>>>> Pietersen ffs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah well the Australian media and Shane Warne have been hyping the guy up, but in the end whether its Bell or Pietersen the Australian bowlers shouldn't have a problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tanman007:

Well how about Strauss ,Trescothick or Pieterson...

tbh the only English batter I rate and who will trouble our bowlers is M. Vaughan, that guy was brilliant when England came down under two years ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he's batting nowhere near as well as Tresco, Strauss, or Bell though. Everyone of our batsmen are brilliant on their day and if 2/3 hit top form in each innings then you're in for a shock.

He's not batting as well as Trescothick, Strauss or Bell but IMO, Vaughan got the runs against top teams when the chips were seriously down. i.e 2003-03 Ashes, the last tour to india , and when he defied Murali on the 5th day in Sri Lanka to post a century and save the game. I rate those acheivements over centuries against weak Bangladeshi,South African,Windies and New Zealand sides.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Originally posted by ericcantona7

maybe so, and I'm sure he will be able to come good against Aus, esp if we were to lose an early wicket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With the way Mcgrath and Dizzy are bowling, there's a very good chance it'll be more than one early wicket.

I reckon the 20/20 match will be impossible to call with both teams having little to no experience in the situation. The likes of Gilchrist, Flintoff and Pietersen should make great viewing though icon_cool.gif

The ODI series will be close I reckon, mainly because of two factors:

1. Australia are without Warne

2. England possess the most destructive middle order in ODI cricket today.

To weigh up the test series I will compare each player in each position...

Hayden v. Trescothick

However much Hayden has been out of form and even though Trescothick has a 50+ home average and has scored 1000+ runs in the past two years AND is well on his way in 2005 I have to say Hayden is better. Also Trescothicks ashes performances so far have been appalling.

Langer v. Strauss

A fantastic 2004 for both players, Strauss is Englands golden boy following a SA tour where he held the team together. Langer on the other hand hit 1481 runs last year and also has a very good record v. England. Langer probably edges this battle

Ponting v. Vaughan

One of the best batsmen in the world v. the one England player the Aussies actually appear to rate. 2004 was a "poor" year for Ponting as he averaged only 41 without one century but Vaughan has also struggled to consistently repeat his form from that ashes tour. At the moment Ponting has the edge but if Vaughan could repeat his performance of last ashes tour then Australia could be in trouble.

Clarke v. Bell

I know that Martyn will probably bat 4 but I thought it apt to compare the two new boys. Clarke made a thumping start to test cricket but tailed of a tad against Pakistan. Bell on the other hand has looked good so far as he has made his average 200 odd but only against weak opposition. Tough one to call.

Martyn v. Thorpe

Yet another Aussie who averages over 50 against England and one who is in the form of his life recently. Thorpe is the old man of the England team and sometimes it shows as his back goes on him. However he is often the rock that a struggling England will regroup around and since coming back to test cricket in 2003 he has averaged over 50 and picked up a few (but each one crucial) centuries along the way.

Katich v. Flintoff

Assuming the Aussies do play Katich this is the one area where England win hands down. Flintoff finally found some consistency last season and it paid dividends as he hit 898 runs at an average of 52.82. His bowling has improved incredibly as well as he was topping 90mph last season and totally owned the current No.1 batsman in the world.

Gilchrist v. Jones

No contest here

Warne v. Giles

Whilst Giles has improved significantly over the past year he is still miles away from Warnes standard. Not bad with the bat though.

Lee v. Jones

I have always thought Jones has looked dangerous and if he were a tad faster he would be up there with the likes of Lee as a world class bowler. As it is he is just a really good one.

Gillespie v. Hoggard

The big swingers on each team, if Hoggard can reproduce his SA form then Australia could be in for trouble however Gillespie is still one of the best bowlers in the world

McGrath v. Harmison

Whilst Harmison isn't a match for McGrath (with the exception of Pollock who comes close) he still has the ability to be a truely world class bowler as he showed versus the WI and NZ. Appears to have regained some form/confidence after the SA series.

In other words I would be surprised if we won as the Aussies have 3 positions where they win hands down whereas we only have 1. In most other positions Australia just have the edge.

Archived