*Official* FMS Anecdotes thread - Take II

Raptor

Right lads,

Looks to me we need to give this experiment another go. Last time, it petered out prematurely, but we've had a fair share of anecdotes which cannot be called stories (even short stories) as such, but technically tell the story of at least a game or off-the-field event, and therefore shouldn't neccessarily be referred to GQ.

Anything that looks like this, can go in here for the time being. Should keep the forum tidier and solve the question on whether or not something belongs in FMS. icon_smile.gif

Right lads,

Looks to me we need to give this experiment another go. Last time, it petered out prematurely, but we've had a fair share of anecdotes which cannot be called stories (even short stories) as such, but technically tell the story of at least a game or off-the-field event, and therefore shouldn't neccessarily be referred to GQ.

Anything that looks like this, can go in here for the time being. Should keep the forum tidier and solve the question on whether or not something belongs in FMS. icon_smile.gif

Once, after a particularly poor training session, I just thought "sod this lot of useless gits" and went home. Pouring myself a large scotch, I settled down with my laptop to lose myself in the wonders of the internet, and forget about my woeful football management career.

Imagine my surprise that the moderators on my favourite message board had decided to pander to the needs of those people incapable of following the rules icon_wink.gif

Good idea, this icon14.gif

Don't have any amusing anecdotes to share off-hand, but it seems like a good idea to keep this thread near the top, so people have no excuse for failing to use it.

Hang on. In one of my Marseille games (can't remember the version, but it was quite a while ago), I signed a young Argentinian midfielder called Daniel Montenegro, and just weeks later Rolland Courbis -then manager of l'OM- signed him in real life after he had been voted best player of the Toulon international under-21 tournament.

Sadly, Montenegro never really made the grade, and he left for Spain a couple of years later, having spent most of his time with Marseille on loan.

Hmm. That wasn't very amusing, was it? Oh well...

How Ronny Rosenthal Got Me Sacked

I was young and foolish. I had been incomprehensibly handed my first managerial gig at Leeds Utd and wanted to strengthen the squad.

Leeds were a strong team but I felt I needed to strengthen the attack. One name was at the top of my list. I remember being impressed by his strength and eye for goal. He wasn't a regular at Tottenham and I thought he'd do the trick. My one and only signing that season was....

Ronny Rosenthal.

He certainly did have an eye for goal, shame that he couldn't actually hit it. He'd have at least 2 clear chances a game, always missed.

I was very stubborn and would always play him, barring injuries.

In 46 games he managed 3 goals.

We finished 16th, I was sacked.

Moral of the Story, don't rely on your memories, look at the players stats!

• 1 month later...
Guest Morifari

Ok, I first posted this in the completely wrong place and got rightly told off and directed here, so I'll give it another shot and re-post it here, hoping nobody will shoot me...

Team talks that backfire and not-so-ingenious decisions, from my latest Wolves game.

1. European Super Cup, facing Everton. Half time, I'm one goal behind.

Me: "Psst, Freddy, come over here. That Everton striker, Van Leeuven - I've had enough of him. He's scored twice against us, and he's constantly out-running our defense. How about, say, you mark him tightly, shake him around a little, perhaps injure him just a wee bit in some subtle way?"

Freddy Guarin: "But Boss, I've already got a yellow card and the ref told me to watch myself."

Me: "Yeah, I know, but it'll be alright. Just make sure to not be too obvious and take him down when the ref is looking in the other direction."

Sigh... yeah, two minutes into to second half, and Guarin is heading for the shower, with everyone either laughing and pointing at him or standing in horror over Van Leeuven's mangled body on the pitch. I still won the match, though.

2. Champions League quarter final 1st leg, vs. Juventus. Closing up on the end of the second half. I'm to goals ahead. A moment's time-out for some injury situation.

Me: "Everybody, listen! Great match! Now, we've got this one in the bag, now let's just cruise in, pull down our back line... oh, and this'll be a good time to pull off our star players and put on those snot-faced teenagers from the junior squad, to give them a taste of the big time."

Everybody: "But Boss! I don't think those Italians have given up yet! They're really fired up, and that Zlatan dude is over there farting brimstone, looking at us with fire in his eyes and smoke coming out of his nose!"

Me: "Nah, don't worry, there's fifteen minutes left. Just relax."

Yeah. Me: 2. Juve: 3.

3. In the office, monday morning, around Christmas.

Me: "Ass Man, as you know, Kerlon, our star striker, is out for several months with a badly mangled calf muscle that looks like it hit a landmine. We need a replacement for the second half of the season if we're to keep our title bid alive. Now, I've been checking with the scouts, and had a look at this Colombian guy, Cordoba..."

Ass Man: "Interesting idea, Boss. He's got brilliant technique and bad-ass finishing. However, as it happens, I've heard him referred to on more than one occasion as "Lazy-Ass Lardbutt Cordoba", and he's never actually been reported to last longer than half time..."

Me: "Oh, it'll be alright. Desperate times, desperate measures. We'll just put him on heavy physical training for a while, that'll knock some pounds of him. Now, just to make sure we get him, let's fark over 20 million €, and get his butt over here ASAP..."

Ass Man: "We'll, if you're sure, but he is known to smoke twenty a day, spend most of his training sessions asleep down by the goalpost, and have the worst work rate and stamina in all of South America..."

Me: "Just do as I say!"

Sigh...

I want ppl to share their tales of unfair dismissal - here's mine:

In FM2005, I start off as Juventus manager, and having assessed their squad, I realised that they pretty much had all they needed. First season I managed to remain undefeated for 37 league games (after winning title arithmetically, I fielded weakened sides). I managed a league and cup double, and a CL semi final.

Season 2: I added players to squad from mainly Bosman transfers incl. Cassano + Gilardino (selling Del Piero for a fair amount) - and again I complete a league & cup double, (CL quarter final)

Season 3: My attributes are looking fantastic except for one: loyalty=1 Frown

Most notably after having a fantastic season before, Cassano is moody after being dropped for one match and stays that way, despite starting 25+ games in the season and the team wins everything worth winning in club football (that elusive treble)

Season 4: Cassano is still unhappy and by January he's joined by Chiellini and a couple others. And despite being undefeated and in all cup competitions, I get the sack! I could not believe it!

• Administrators

First of all you critcise him for posting his 'tale of unfair dismissal' in the wrong forum, and then when he does repost it, you call it a crap tale. Way to build up community spirit...!

icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nbrocky:

First of all you critcise him for posting his 'tale of unfair dismissal' in the wrong forum, and then when he does repost it, you call it a crap tale. Way to build up community spirit...!

icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are?

Anyway, not that I care what a nobody thinks, but you clearly don't understand irony or indeed what I've written. Come back when you can read.

cheersthnxgbye.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nbrocky:

icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you hang around a bit you will come to realise several things.

1. PM7 doesn't do emoticons icon_frown.gif

2. He is a crusty old busturd.

3. Underneath the harsh exterior there beats a heart of pure granite.

4. His sense of humour is often misunderstood.

5. He's from Scotland you know!

I recall a game, can't remember the version but Chester were in the Conference where we met Manchester United in the FA Cup, drew at home and won the replay at Old Trafford.

Great fun for a Conference side to win at OT, but couldn't happen in real life, could it ?

• Administrators

In fairness madbassist, I don't think your story is that great, it just shows how tough being Manager of AC can be.

And as for Peacemaker, just because you've been around for a while and posted hundred, possibly thousands of posts, doesn't mean one of 'em is either funny, relevant or anything that couldn't be compared to something coming out of a Jodie Marsh orifice. So when you wanna call someone else a nobody, think about some of the posts you’ve written in the past, especially when you were a ‘newbie’ to the boards…and when you just wanna insult someone…I’m tempted to say just look in the mirror, but instead just think of something constructive to write instead…

Then write it!

icon14.gif

Word of advice nbrocky, its like water off a duck's back to him. I'm best placed to comment as I myself have a had a run in with said user in the past.

Despite PM7's alternative approach to constructive criticism, his stories are of the highest quality and are usually funny and relevant.

I'd let it go.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

I've been here like forever and ever.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So true, and can be read in so many ways... icon_wink.gif

In fairness madbassist, I don't think your story is that great, it just shows how tough being Manager of AC can be.

And as for Peacemaker, just because you've been around for a while and posted hundred, possibly thousands of posts, doesn't mean one of 'em is either funny, relevant or anything that couldn't be compared to something coming out of a Jodie Marsh orifice. So when you wanna call someone else a nobody, think about some of the posts you’ve written in the past, especially when you were a ‘newbie’ to the boards…and when you just wanna insult someone…I’m tempted to say just look in the mirror, but instead just think of something constructive to write instead…

Then write it!

icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think he ha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Living without THE game

Since late 2004 I have wandered the strees of Edinburgh in a completely different fashion to the years before: my strut having completely disappeared, my smile rare and any confidence I once had all but gone. Why you ask? Championship Manager, now Football Manager, has been completely ruined by those who once made the game great.

The new 2D pitch is nothing more than a joke. An attempt by SI to 'modernise' they're game when infact the whole 'retro' style of it was what made the game great. New stats begin to be added each year, a bigger database, and you begin to realise with a hint of research that SI are following in the footsteps of EA, with small updates each year which they feel worthy their loyal fans to pay £30 more each year.

The fact is Championship Manager was once the fans game, the perfect mix of speed, realism and fun. Now it's just going down the route of realism in sacrificing the two major aspects. They don't care though - the new realism has earned them more and more money. They have however lost a loyal fan. Me.

Other than not really being an FM Story/Anecdote?

Besides, what's stopping you playing one of the versions you liked?

FM05 wasn't engrossing, but FM06 is one of the best games they've made, so I don't in any way agree that this is a matter of small updates for £30.

Anyway.

Ok here is my debut offering for the Anecdote Thread:

Why Delémont Under 19's are the best Cup side ever

Ok, whilst in my first season at the legendary club, BSC Young Boys, I became intrigued by the progress of Delémont Under 19's in the SwissCom Cup (the Swiss FA Cup). As if being an under 19 side wasn't enough of a handicap itself, the senior team were a non league side. Of course I expected them to crash out in the first round, as they were up against Schaffhausen, who were not the greatest but still a top flight side. The Delémont youngsters were evidently not reading the script as they ground out a terrific 2-1 victory. Interestingly the senior Delémont side had triumphed on penalties against another top flight side, Neuchâtel Xamax. Now of course I realise that the Swiss Cup is not the most prestigious of competitions but there were still enough decent teams to ensure that no non-league sides would get much further than the Second Round. But one or two of these lesser sides were slipping through the net with ease and one of them was Delémont Under 19's as they recorded an emphatic victory over top flight side Zurich, 3-0. Two Super League scalps in the first two rounds, could they go all the way? Obviously they could as they beat Challenge League side Winterthur 2-1 in the Third Round, amazingly the senior side was still going and they managed to beat my Young Boys team on penalties after an 85th minute equaliser. Both Delémont sides were now in the Quarter Final, surely it was the end of the road. For Delémont seniors it was as they lost 3-0 to Grasshopper, who along with Basel had to be favourites. The under 19's were not finished however and after a 2-2 draw with Challenge League side Sion, they won on penalties to book a place in the Semi Final. Unfortunately they drew Basel and went down 3-0 but given their stature and squad, it has to be one of the best cup runs I have seen in FM or in real life. And it proves to me that the Swiss Cup is full of romance, more than any other in FM.

• 4 weeks later...

So I started a game managing Juventus (Italy Serie A).

In Serie A play I am about halfway through the season with a commanding 10 point lead over the second place team. Barring a total collapse, I stand to win the league.

I placed third in the friendly cup after a disheartening loss to Barcelona.

In the Italian Cup I defeated Atalatan (sp?) to advance to the second round.

The real problem was in the Champions Cup. In the group stage I was matched up with Arsenal (England), SP Sporting (Portugal) and M. Haifa (Israel).

To start play I gained a resounding victory over the Israeli club. Next up was the Portugese whom I also defeated.

Third matchup in the group was Arsenal, the only team I considered a threat from stopping me from winning the group. First game was at Arsenal and my club came out on fire, jumping out to a 2-0 lead in front of the Arsenal home crowd. The half time score was still 2-0. The second half was a different story, by the 60th minute Arsenal had cut the lead to a single goal, 2-1, and then came back 10 minutes later to even the match.

In the 80th minute, Arsenal defender Ashley Cole beat the Juventus goalie with a 30 yard chip shot, which even I was impressed with. The clock ran out and Arsenal celebrated an amazing comeback victory over the favored Juventus club.

I was not pleased.

A couple weeks later we had our shot at revenge. Arsenal was now due to travel to Turin to take on my club. The game was different, but the results the same, Arsenal wins a hard fought defensive battle 1-0 to take a commanding lead in group F.

Sporting had passed me in the standings as well, so I now found myself in third in the group, needing to most likely win my last two games to have any hope of advancing out of the group stage.

Next up was M. Haifa, who I again outclassed 4-0 in Israel.

The final game was against Sporting. They were tied with Arsenal at 10 points a piece, I was sitting at 9 points. A victory over Sporting insured my qualification for the next round. A tie against sporting would leave me needing an M. Haifa upset of Arsenal to have any shot.

Arsenal was, of course, not upset.

But my club was playing well against Sporting, carrying a 1-0 lead late into the second half when a Sporting midfielder broke Juventus' heart with a chip shot goal (yet again). We couldn't rally and the game ended a tie.

The stunning upset was complete, Sporting grabbed a spot in the next round which almost everyone thought would go my way.

It was a bad setback, but now we just play through the Italian Cup (next opponent Milan) and hopefully continue to dominate Serie A.

• 2 months later...

From the pen of Kurt Bevacqua:

Last night playing in a Sevilla dynasty against Atletico Madrid score was nil-nil. They were just drubbing me, but they kept hitting the cross bar and things like that. So I was holding on for dear life to get the draw. At the 80 minute mark Renato makes this really long pass down the pitch and I look over and see Navas standing all by himself directly in front of the goal. I thought, "Oh this has to be offsides," as he easily chipped in the one-on-one past the keeper. As the play ended I saw at the bottom of the screen the game telling me someone for Madrid was hurt. I looked back up just in time to see a guy down at the corner of the screen with the little green injury icon.

Instant replay comes on and sure enough, there's the Madrid left fullback off to the side from the goal, not moving the whole time. Navas carefully aligns himself just up from the woounded player in front of the goal to receive the long pass for his all too easy goal at the expense of the injured foe. I hold on for my cheap 1-nil win and stay within 2 points of frontrunner Barca.

• 1 year later...

Every time I play FM05, I see that the good folk at Sports Interactive spell "proprietary" "propriety". Now, having completed an electrical engineering degree along with my law degree, I know that many computer scientists and engineers aren't great spellers, but would it have broken the budget to have the game proof-read?

Does this count?

Guðjon Aðalsteinn Guðmundsson is probably the greatest "rags to riches" I've ever had in any CM or FM. Not being at home and not having the game open I can't remember exact details, but then this is a small anecdote rather than a story so who cares? icon_razz.gif

I signed him for my Grindavik team for a pittance in FM06 and despite being somewhat limited in ability the abilities he did have (pace, creativity, flair, dribbling and finishing) he used to help us unseat FH as Iceland's dominant team. As we started to win the title frequently, have stabs at qualifying for Europe and generally acquired more cash so he, as is often the case, found his chances become more limited due to new signings with a wider skills set who scored the goals that won us domestic titles.

We did eventually make the breakthrough, qualifying for the group stages of the Champions League and with it came still more money and some expensive (for Grindavik - e.g. £500k) signings. 2 years after that first breakthrough in Europe, Guðmundsson's Grindavik career appeared to be all but over. I had a soft spot for him, but we were so dominant in the league that the strikers we had brought in were banging the goals in and he couldn't get a look in.

Being Iceland of course, the European campaign begins pretty much when the league season is ending so for that year, with the league already wrapped up before the last 2 games I decided to rest some players for our next assualt on Europe. Guðmundsson returned to the side for what would probably be two farewell appearances, but instantly found his feet and put in two scintillating performances that persuaded me to name him in our Champions League squad.

I don't remember much about the group stage. We qualified from it (as we had done two years earlier but on that occasion we lost a thriller to Arsenal in the 1st knockout round) and so the adventure went on, Guðmundsson having suddenly become a feature in the team again. It was in the knockout stage that the magic really began for him though. At home, at our tiny stadium, we struggled a little against the big teams, but on the road we had the time of our lives playing to huge crowds 15-20 times what we got for home matches and Guðmundsson stepped up and, with support from an attack-minded and quite strong Grindavik team he lit up the European stage.

1-3 we won in Villareal with Guðmundsson netting twice. Next up came Juventus and, after a 0-1 home defeat we looked doomed, but Guðmundsson ripped through the Juve defence in mesmerising fashion in Turin, humiliating the Italian giants and guiding us to a 1-3 win. Then came the greatest moment in the club's history as we went to Munich and with Guðmundsson all but unplayable for the Bayern defence we shocked the world by going in 0-5 up at half-time. Predictably Bayern beat us in Iceland, but we were through anyway to face Arsenal in the final where another goal from the now legendary Guðjon Aðalsteinn Guðmundsson helped us to a 2-1 win.

It was past 2am on a midweek night with work the following day that this was played out, but I just couldn't go to bed, I had to play it through to it's conclusion (a conclusion which had looked like coming over an hour earlier against Juventus) and at full time I was absolutely buzzing. When my Faroe Islands team of CM03/04 qualified for the world cup and there beat Argentina (we were already out though) I thought that was the best CM/FM could ever get, but to win the champions league with an Icelandic club, with an almost discarded Faroese striker who cost almost nothing destroying some of Europe's best teams was (and still is) by far the most excited I've ever been in CM/FM.

I mention all this partly because I suddenly decided it would do as an anecdote (the story of that game was abandoned well before I could tell that tale in it), but because the man himself will be making an appearance in my latest story too...he is considerably less skillful though in this version icon_razz.gif

• 1 year later...

I posted this on the wrong thread originally and was asked to move it here, enjoy!

I started a league with Barcelona recently and I just can't put it down. My previous track record with FM2009 left me completely puzzled as I tried valiantly, but failed miserably in progressing with Manchester United, Real Madrid and Wolves . I was almost at the end of my tether but fortunately my faith and excitement has been restored all because my invincible Barca side continue to progress.

The story so far….

I'm still in my first season having played 31 league games where I have just been crowned champions, an impressive twenty three points ahead of Real Madrid in second place. I can barely believe it myself! I can also boast that I have a Spanish Cup final to look forward to and I’m still in the Champions league at the semi final stage having beaten Shaktar and Lyon in the knockout stages.

It's been a phenomenal season which saw me lose two of my first eight league games against Osasuna and Numancia but I have only lost 1 league game in the last 23 matches! My current record in the league is played 31, Won 26 , Drawn 2, Lost 3, which I am pretty chuffed about.

Tactics

I play with the default tactic FM2009 assigns to Barcelona from the start of the game (4-1-2-2-1) but I sometimes mix the front three up effectively setting up a 4-1-2-3) formation.

Key Players

If I were to pick a top three it would have to be:

1. Leo (CB) has been immense achieving a high 7 average rating. The young Brazilian defender has formed a solid partnership with tutor Carles Puyol and has kept the talented Gerard Pique and experienced Gabriel Milito watching from the bench.

2. Xavi (CM) has scored some vital goals and put in some inspirational displays in the centre of midfield. His contribution from set pieces has been impressive and his distribution from midfield sees him as the clubs assists leader

3. Bojan (CF) hasn’t been as prolific in front of goal as senior strike partners Samuel Eto’o or Thierry Henry but the young Spanish striker has scored crucial goals every time he has deputised for the injury prone pair.

Best Player in the World? Not on my watch…..

I started a league with Barcelona for one, very obvious reason….Leo Messi but I have been disappointed with his contribution. I’m not sure if I am using him wrong – even though I play him in areas he is ‘natural’ – but he just doesn’t do a great deal in matches to reflect his amazing stats. He has had a few long stints out through injury but so have other players and they have performed on their return to fitness, but the same can’t be said for Leo. In around thirty appearances my ‘star man’ has managed a woeful (for his calibre) average match rating of 6.5, contributing only three goals. Boooooo...

Injuries, Injuries, Injuries!

My only gripe, and it’s a small one is that I have had an unbelievable stroke of bad luck with injuries which has spanned the whole season. Several key players have been out for long periods but I have been fortunate enough that my Barca squad has enough depth to cope without Leo Messi, Samuel Eto’o, Xavi, Yaya Toure, Eric Abidal and Dani Alves all at the same time (I kid you not!). When I consider the bad luck I have had with all these injuries it only leaves me more baffled as to how I am still doing so well. I have no complaints though – long may it continue.

Transfer Activity

At the beginning of the season I looked into bulking up a few areas as Barca don’t have the depth and class you would expect. With Gabriel Milito out for several months I decided to invest in a young centre back. I scouted a Brazilian defender called Leo and snapped him up for £7m, which turned out to be a great buy as he has been one of my most consistent performers.

The other area I wanted to strengthen was to have a decent keeper to deputise in the absence of Victor Vales. I opted for Valladolid’s highly rated 19-year-old keeper Asenjo who has been my cup keeper who has played a vital role in getting my Barca side into the Spanish Cup final. With seven league games to go with the Championship already in the bag I will be using Asenjo in order to keep Valdes fresh for the Champions League.

I took Arsenal’s Alexandre Song on a season-long loan to give me an extra option in the middle of the park. Song started the season well, scoring two goals in my first two league matches but has been in and out of the starting xi since rotating with Rafeal Marquez and Seydou Keita in the anchor role.

My last bit of transfer business was snapping up young Brazilian Gerson, who will join my squad in two season’s time when he turns 17 years of age.

Summary

I now have seven league games left, a cup final and the prospect of being three victories away from bringing the Champions League back to the Nou Camp. Now I remember why I love Football Manager.

If you’re still here, thanks for reading.

Officially upped.

If you have any one post anecdotes about FM - they don't have to be written as a story, they can be just telling us how you've broken your hand by punching the wall when you lost the cup final - then this is the place for them.

Florian Maurice was a French striker, as was Stephane Guivarc'h. You may remember them. Many, many years ago they plied their trade around Europe - Guivarc'h having a less than successful spell in England.

On my first Sports Interactive game (Championship Manager 97/98), I was simple teenager with simple ambitions; to actually get the hang of the damn game and stop getting beat 10-0.

So several months after getting Everton relegated three saves in a row, I took on the job again with a bit more knowledge.

I kept us up in the first season - a first - and the board rewarded me by not sacking me for a change, and giving me a bit of cash to spend.

So being the stereotypical impulsive teenager, I blew the whole lot on Maurice and Guivarc'h. Two strikers.

And it paid off to the extent I've never had such a potent strikeforce in any game since.

In their first season, 74 goals between them. Second season, 81. And in the third season (I was throughly used to the game - and winning - by now!) Florian Maurice come within a whisker of beating Dixie Deans' goalscoring record for one season; ending on 59 goals for the campaign.

Of course, I now realise how damned simple CM97/98 was! But at the time I considered myself the new Joe Royle for my CM efforts!

Florian Maurice was an utter legend on 97/98. Him and Tommy Svindal Larsen were my two favourite players on that version of the game - which was also the first version of it that I played.

Aye xD And Bjorn Heidenstrom from Leyton Orient; used to man mark anyone out of a game.

The original "sitting" midfielder; Champ Man invented that position xD

Archived