Which 'outsider' will be the team to watch..?

Lermon

Would be a very silly bet.

No it wouldn't, depending on what the odds it could be a good one to stick a little money on.

If you look at the groups, the African teams are all either joint favourites for second or they're third. None of them have a group where they look certain to progress.

Having said that, I think at least one will make it through, but with long odds it's worth a flutter to see what happens.

Slovenia for me. Shocked a decent Russian team in the play-offs, only thing is where the goals will come from may be a concern for them, even though Novakovic had a good qualifying campaign with 5 goals iirc.

I think they'll finish 2nd in the group behind England.

I was hearing the same hype about Serbia and Montenegro before the last World Cup. Turned out to be a complete and utter embarrassment. They might just sneek through the group at best.

They lost Vidic just before the tournament and it upset their balance greatly. They could make the quarters this time around easy.

I do understand why people might have reservations about their quality though. Romania were a big outside chance last world cup, and look how they did...

I have Japan, South Korea, South Africa and Argentina as my surprise backings.

Argentina? Because of their poor qualifying run? If they won the WC it would be no great shock with the likes of Messi, Tevez, Aguero and many, many more great players in their team.

With the likes of Gago, Cambiasso, Zanetti not going then there aren't actually many, many more great players in their team to be fair. Not to mention Maradona has only selected 1 recognised full back, and 6 forwards. I think it would be a shock if they win it, although it wouldn't be a shock if Messi wins it ;)

• 4 weeks later...
what a load of naff Serbia turned out to be.

I told you so

I was hearing the same hype about Serbia and Montenegro before the last World Cup. Turned out to be a complete and utter embarrassment. They might just sneek through the group at best.

Slovenia will become the most attractive team in this world cup. They qualified for the finals after defeating Russia. They also treated Czech Republic as well. Now they are on the top in Group-C after their first victory against Algeria.

They hardly did it in great fashion though. A pretty awful undeserved (tbh) goal and even then they didn't create much at all. USA will beat them and so will England. Want to see what teams like Honduras, Chile, Slovakia. Also want to see Cameroon as well, underrated imo, as they have Eto'o, Bassong, M'Bia, A.Song and a lot of good players.

They hardly did it in great fashion though. A pretty awful undeserved (tbh) goal and even then they didn't create much at all. USA will beat them and so will England. Want to see what teams like Honduras, Chile, Slovakia. Also want to see Cameroon as well, underrated imo, as they have Eto'o, Bassong, M'Bia, A.Song and a lot of good players.

Apparently Paul Le Guen has gone mental and dropped Alex Song and Karmeni.

• 2 weeks later...

well 4 of the teams I've said flopped :D

Anyway, as theres been major casualties this tournament- there must be a good chance of an outsider possibly winning it.

The odds:

The favourites obviously:

Brazil (4.5)

Spain (5.5)

Argentina (6)

Netherlands (8.4)

England (13.5)

Germany(16)

And the outsiders:

Uruguay(19.5)

Portugal(25) -probably as they're playing Spain..

USA(42)

Paraguay(50)

Ghana(60)

Chile(60)

Mexico(90)

Japan(110)

South Korea(160)

Slovakia(260)

I love how Greece are apparently outsiders even though they have won a competition in the last 10 years... :D

Teams like Holland, England and Argentina are the real outsiders...

Can't believe I missed this one :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Time to look back

I like Chile, but have an unlucky draw. I reckon they'll come 2nd in there group and play Brazil in the 2nd round and probably lose.

Mexico/Uruguay have a good chance of finishing above France in first place, if they do they'll make the quarters at least

Good calls generally.

Uruguay for me.

and again

I expect the African nations to do well, they will be used to the climate.

Not quite

Although I don't reckon Serbia will get close to winning it, it's tempting to put a bet on them to win it at 66-1. They having got much in terms of attacking prowess however they have a great defence and a good midfield so they have a decent chance of at least getting out of the group.

Serbia a let-down again

Japan and Cameroon.

Sort of, and desperately nowhere.

switzerland will beat spain in the group stage, you heard it here first

We did, fair play.

They didn't even get there.

I wonder what what odds you can get for no African side to make the knockout stage? I did a bet on that last time and Ghana cost me.

Guess they did again.

Archived