THE OTF FIFA.com World Cup Fantasy Football Thread

whos the best keeper for 5 million only spot i have to fill now

team is

goalies cesar starting and i need one player 5 million to pick one and a 1k newzealand bannantyne

backs lucio lahm samuel marquez suler vidik and a 1k player smith

mids xavi sniedjer guarado gattuso krasic hamsik pienaar and 1k player jum kan

strikers rooney messi gilardino barrios sanchez

can someone with knowledge give me an opinion on this side please and tell me if the tactics are right or not

Really not sure about Messi. Not sure how Maradona will play him. Its a choice of Rooney or Messi for me as they both play early in the round

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can't swap players that play early in the rounds for those that play a couple of days later can you?

Yes you can. Turns this game into a lot of Football Manager esque fun!

Once the round commences, you have a choice: You can either take a 'hands off' approach and wait for automatic substitutions to happen at the end of the round, or you can get more involved and make some substitutions as the round progresses.

At the start of each day (00:00 South African time) during the round, a substitution window opens. In this window you can:

* Replace any player that wasn't sent off with one from your bench who is yet to play.

* Change your captain, providing he wasn’t sent off, with someone whose team is yet to play.

On a matchday, the substitution window will close 15 minutes before the first kick-off.

The player chosen to bring in must adhere to the formation rules. E.g. if you only have 3 defenders in your starting 11, you may not replace a defender for another midfielder as there is no legal formation with only two defenders.

An unlimited number of substitutions can be made but only eleven players with one captain can score points each round.

Here are some reasons you may choose to make substitutions:

* One of your players goes off injured after a few minutes

* Your captain wasn't selected to play in the round.

* You are a gambler and decide that one of your substitutes will score more points than someone who already played in the round

Things to note about substitutions

* If you remove a player who has scored points for your team, these points will be lost. The player cannot be brought back into your team until the next round.

* It is not possible to make substitutions after matches on the last day of the round.

* If a substitution or captain change is made then no automatic substitutions will take place on your team that round.

Automatic substitutions

Once the data for all the matches in the round has been determined as final, automatic substitutions will be made providing no substitutions or captain changes have been made.

If any of your players play no part in the round, the computer will try to substitute the inactive player with the highest priority replacement from the same position who did play. If your captain does not play then the bonus will be lost, another player will not take over the captaincy in their place.

That's stupid but sounds like the way they do Champions League with their 'Manager's substitutions'. You can't switch Rooney and then sell him and buy Villa after Rooney has finished, that's what I was getting at

Ah no you cant buy new players but as long as they are in your squad then you can bring them in if someone has played ***** or you think the player on your bench will do better. As the game is made by the same people that do FPL, I can see some of these new rules coming into play for next season - Manager subs is a possibilty for the Sat/Sun games and I wouldnt be surprised to see the attacking/defending bonuses coming in too

I doubt they'll come in for Premier League game tbh, they seem to be making that easier and easier, not more complicated. They seem to be doing more of these changes in Champions League/Europa League games as obviously there are less matches, I can live without the 'defensive/attacking bonus' tbh, worse than 1, 2, 3 bonus for Premier League :/

You can also change your captain too. I am starting with Hernandez as Cpt as he plays on the 11th. If he falls shorts, then Messi will take up Captaincy on the 12th. If he too disappoints then Schweinsteiger can come in and so on...

Julio Cesar

Demichellis

Michel Bastos

A. Cole

Xavi

Lennon

Sneijder

Giovani Dos Santos

Messi

David Villa

Van Persie

Mucha

Paston

Vidic

Lichtsteiner

Booth

Nelsen

Park

Pienaar

Hamsik

K. Asamoah

A. Sanchez

J. Hernandez

So basically, if Striker 1 plays first and has a **** game, I can bring in Striker 2 before his match instead of Striker 1 and hope he has a better scoring game, is this right?
You can also change your captain too. I am starting with Hernandez as Cpt as he plays on the 11th. If he falls shorts, then Messi will take up Captaincy on the 12th. If he too disappoints then Schweinsteiger can come in and so on...

Exactly. Lookinmg forward to this, could backfire of course - I am playing Yeoung of Korea early on - I fancy him for a goal, but if he does and I , as planned sub him for Fabiano and Fabiano does nothing I`m going to look a chump! What I think is really great about this is that normally the World Cup and Champions league are very hard to catch someone in once you get to the QF stage as teams are normally the same. With larger squads and sub opportunities a lot of teams will differ.

Thanks for the heads-up on this, Pablo DiscoBar. :thup:

I love fantasy football and this is one of the most interesting set-ups I've seen. I reckon it's going to involve a hell of a lot more strategic thinking than most FF games, especially in the initial team picks (making sure all my strikers aren't in action on the same day to give me a chance of swapping, taking a chance on players from teams that aren't nailed on to qualify, etc). Only being allowed two players from each nation is already doing my head in. :D

Decided to change my team:

Julio Cesar

Villar

Valladaras

Lahm

Kolarov

A Cole

M Perreira

Bastos

Pique

Ponce

Gonzalez

Honda

Lennon

Chung-Yong

Emana

Nani

Krasic

Schweinsteiger

Villa

Liedson

Hernandez

Barrios

Van Persie

At the start of each day (00:00 South African time) during the round, a substitution window opens. In this window you can:

* Replace any player that wasn't sent off with one from your bench who is yet to play.

* Change your captain, providing he wasn’t sent off, with someone whose team is yet to play.

Says nothing about how long they've played :thup:

My squad (not including my 5 £1m guys):

Gianluigi Buffon

Hugo Lloris

Glen Johnson

Philipp Lahm

Simon Kjaer

Giorgio Chiellini

Michel Bastos

Nadir Belhadj

Sergio Busquets

Xavi Hernandez

Yoann Gourcuff

Wesley Sneijder

Nacho Gonzalez

Angel Di Maria

Lionel Messi

Alexis Sanchez

Luis Suarez

Luis Fabiano

At least I'm pretty sure that all those players are nailed-on to start :)

thought i read somewhere that it costs points to do this has anyone heard this

My squad (not including my 5 £1m guys):

Gianluigi Buffon

Hugo Lloris

Glen Johnson

Philipp Lahm

Simon Kjaer

Giorgio Chiellini

Michel Bastos

Nadir Belhadj

Sergio Busquets

Xavi Hernandez

Yoann Gourcuff

Wesley Sneijder

Nacho Gonzalez

Angel Di Maria

Lionel Messi

Alexis Sanchez

Luis Suarez

Luis Fabiano

At least I'm pretty sure that all those players are nailed-on to start :)

nice side havent researched all players but i have a few of your myself

playing 5 by one million players im only playing 3 as i want cover for switching out players so playing a lot of 5-7 million and a few eights and 3 x 9 and tens

my team not including million dollar players

cesar swhartzer not sure on shwartz being able to get a clean sheet can someone suggest an alternative

lahm marquez samuel lucio vidik suler

pienaar guardado krasik hamsik xavi shneizder gattuso

messi rooney barrios sanchez gilgardino

can someone give me some feedback on this side please and my tactics of three one million crappers

just quickly picked my team, will probably make some changes before the deadline.

Casillas

Assou-Ekotto

K Toure

Van Der Wiel

Carvalho

Lampard

Iniesta

De Rossi

Sneijder

Ronaldo

Higuain

Sub keepers - Benaglio, Bannatyne

Sub Defenders - Kjaer, Sokratis, Petras

Sub Midfielders - Krasic, Pienaar, Behrami, Gargano

Sub Forwards - Pazzini, Cavani, Nilmar

My team:

GK: ------------Julio Cesar----------

Def: Daniel Alves---Pique---Evra---Lahm

Mid: --Pienaar---Lampard---Van Der Vart--

Fwd: -------Rooney---Vela---Kuyt-------

Subs

Kameni (GK)

Schwarzer (GK)

Samuel

Zambrotta

Pepe

Cahil

Krasic

Palacios

Ninis

Weiss

Smeltz

Suazo

ATWs Losers have joined both leagues.

ATWs Losers have announced their Squad of 23.

Goalkeepers
Júlio César (BRA)
Eduardo (POR)
Stojković (SRB)

Defenders
Cannavaro (ITA)
Eboue (CIV)
Zambrotta (ITA)
Vidić (SRB)
Kyrgiakos (GRE)
Bougherra (ALG)
F Rodriguez (MEX)

Midfielders
Ziani (ALG)
Mascherano (ARG)
Elano (BRA)
D. Boeteng (GHA)
S. Appiah (GHA)
Padalino (SUI)
McGlinchey (NZL)
Ortigoza (PAR)

Strikers
Messi (ARG)
Gekas (GRE)
Dindane (CIV)
Rooney (ENG)
D. Villa (ESP)

I am yet to confirm my First XI for Round 1...

I want to know how likely these players are to play in the WC as I don't know if they're regulars or not.

Pozo - GK - Argentina

Melo - Def - Brazil

Demel - Def - Ivory Coast

Bolatti - Mid - Argentina

Fernandez - Mid - Chile

Final team is;

Howard

King

Clichy

Ferreira

Ivanovic

Fernandez

Dempsey

Cahill

Stankovic

Suarez

RvP

with the reserves looking like this

Ochoa

Pozo

Demel

Tiene

Melo

Danny

Kroos

Bolatti

Riveros

Huntelaar

Suazo

Grafite

True, the only problem being if Messi got an assist would you take him out of your team entirely ( which you would have to do if you wanted to bring Schweinsteiger in as captain and therfore losing the messi points ) and take the risk that Schweinsteiger would do better? I think its best only to have 2 captains in mind and take a chance on one of the "lesser" players in the early stages as captain- Pineear for example. You wouldnt mind taking him out but losing an assist on Messi would be dangerous....

Messi wouldn't necessarily have to be taken out of the team altogether, just transfer the Captaincy elsewhere.

I think the best plan of action is to transfer the Captaincy around as much as you like until one of your players stumbles upon a good score. But, have your final choice in mind. So for example, I could try different Captains on 11/12/13/14/15 knowing full well that I had Villa to play on the 16th. That strategy would only fail if all your best players happened to being playing first, which is unlikely.

Until I've read back through this thread I wasnt aware of the whole substitution thing, so now I've changed my starting 11 to include all the players who are playing earliest. Maicon the only late one, but I'm fairly confident in his ability :)

Messi wouldn't necessarily have to be taken out of the team altogether, just transfer the Captaincy elsewhere.

I think the best plan of action is to transfer the Captaincy around as much as you like until one of your players stumbles upon a good score. But, have your final choice in mind. So for example, I could try different Captains on 11/12/13/14/15 knowing full well that I had Villa to play on the 16th. That strategy would only fail if all your best players happened to being playing first, which is unlikely.

From what I understand ( and correct me if im wrong as I want to get my plan sorted )- The captaincy can only be transfered to a player on your bench - ie a substitution, so the way I see it if you captained Messi early on you would have to drop him?

Archived