Mentality v Closing Down v Position

I was just wondering how each one affects the other. For instance I noticed Cleon play a defensive midfielder on attacking, which seems quite a paradox. I've got a striker which I use as deep-lying forward. I have him on a more defensive mentality (a few notches down to normal) as I want him to help out a bit in defense but also to shorten the gap between midfield and attack. I've also got him closing down quite low so he's not chasing the ball but helping out when the ball enters our half. Seems to be working OK. How does everyone else combine these factors?

Don't get overly excited about "defensive" or "attacking" Mentality, it is basically how deep/advanced they prefer to sit and how aggressive they are with their passes.

Beginning to understand that now as I've set my wingers to be more attacking so they can stay further up the field. I had no idea it had something to do with passing.:confused: So if i have a player highly defensive and set to through balls often surely he'll play them when it's on or will he just hold onto the ball even longer. I'm amazed with how much you can tweak the team now. Seems like there's a lot to think about.

Archived