The Hibs & Romanov thread 06/07

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you can pay on the turnstiles, but in a stupid touch you can book them now over the phone and pick them up on the day 10 feet away from the turnstiles. Clever Hibs.

The strip reminds me of the Frank Graham Group one. Hideously 80's.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov: well, were the only ones whose back you get on icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But you can rest easy knowing there isn't a media witch hunt against your club and the club's fans. Yup, some of it has been warranted, but most of it has been unnecessary.

Lets not beat about the bush here, some of Romanov's decisions have at times beggared belief, but for someone to come in here and say I've decided to bury my head shows he's not got a fecking clue what the hell he's banging on about. If Gingerfurball wants to have it out with me over Romanov, Hearts or any of our players, then fine but like so many before him he seems content to take the simple way out by repeating some **** he's happened to have heard/read 7th hand from other arseholes.

Romanov's well dodgy and he's going to drive Hearts into the ground icon_mad.gif

Meh, too nice today.

I think our strip isn't that bad, not a fan of the white shoulders. This seasons strips look awfully like normal t shirts though.

I like the green shorts too. Although does seems silly having the away strip very similar.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deerokus:

yeah, dunno what's gonna happen when we play youse, you have a green away strip and we have a black and green one, and our thrid strip is white as far as i know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's crazy! Pick some different colours ffs icon_wink.gif

It shouldn't pose too much of a problem as the Celtic home top won't really clash with the Hibs away and likewise the Celtic away with the Hibs home.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deerokus:

yeah, dunno what's gonna happen when we play youse, you have a green away strip and we have a black and green one, and our thrid strip is white as far as i know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's crazy! Pick some different colours ffs icon_wink.gif

It shouldn't pose too much of a problem as the Celtic home top won't really clash with the Hibs away and likewise the Celtic away with the Hibs home. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There never seemed to be a clash between the strips in the old days (Black & White TV & all that.) when both teams wore there home kit. icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Romanov in no mood to pull punches in SFA attack

WILL STEWART

IN MOSCOW

VLADIMIR Romanov last night hit back at the Scottish Football Association's attempt to gag him by launching a withering attack on the game's governing body.

The SFA announced this week it had passed a resolution to stop so-called "shadow directors" speaking out with impunity. Romanov, who owns Hearts but holds no office, put the new legislation to the test immediately by mocking the association and its chief executive, David Taylor.

He repeated claims Hearts had been badly treated in the season just ended and claimed Scotland needed a debate on refereeing standards rather than a gag.

"I would like to hear David Taylor's comments on the new regulations," said Romanov. "Do they mean that I'll need to keep silent until the end of my life? Or will this rule only apply while you are in your post?"

Speaking from Lithuania, he told Taylor: "I hope you won't leave your position for another 80 years because, without you, there's no-one to think up such ingenious regulations.

"In case I do get fined for what I say, I'd like to know how you are going to spend the money. If it goes to pay bonuses to the referees then which ones - those who just happen to be Celtic fans or those who monitor the direction of Skacel's spitting?

"Or should we establish some foundation to conduct spitting contests? You have already accumulated quite an experience in this field. So I suggest you become the general director of this new Spitting Federation. I guarantee there will be not a word of criticism from me. I'm even prepared to forget that you never apologised after an 'independent from you' referee wrongly sent off Fyssas.

"Instead of apologising you disqualified key Hearts player Hartley for three games, just before decisive matches for the SPL. Maybe you just forget that he's the real pride of the Scottish national team, unlike you or me.

"Well, I understand that one's own interests are above everything else."

The SFA now finds itself under pressure to take action against Romanov, who clearly still bears a grudge about Hearts' meetings with Celtic this season.

When the sides met at Tynecastle on 1 January, Hearts had Takis Fyssas sent off for a tackle on Shaun Maloney. Eight days later, an SFA review panel decided referee Iain Brines had made a mistake and rescinded the red card. Hearts were leading 2-1 at the time of Fyssas' dismissal but eventually lost 3-2. In a separate incident, Hearts' Paul Hartley was charged with serious misconduct and later banned for three matches for kicking Ross Wallace of Celtic.

When the sides met again in April, Celtic captain Neil Lennon accused Rudi Skacel of spitting at him, a charge the Hearts player denied. No action was taken.

Meanwhile, Hearts announced yesterday that demand for season tickets had exceeded 19,000. With Tynecastle holding just over 17,000, thousands will be disappointed. The club will have a record 13,500 season ticket-holders with the remainder of fans placed on a waiting list.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I don't think the OF were shown any greater degree of favouritism over us, I do think he has a point with regard to how poor Scottish refs are in general.

Does Scottish football continue to accept that our refs are waaaay below professional standards, or should clubs at least have a degree of input? The fact we don't have 1 official at the WC says more about the state of our game than anything Mad Vlad may have to say on the matter.

From Talk 107 website.............

New manager lined up for Hearts

Another big name's being lined up as the next manager of Hearts.

talk107 understands the club's in advanced negotiations with someone with a global reputation.

Current coach Valdas Ivanauskis will be kept on - and he's said to be comfortable with that.

We're expecting an announcement next week.

Saturday, 03 June 2006

I wait with great anticipation lol.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jambo4eva:

talk107 understands the club's in advanced negotiations with someone with a global reputation.

Current coach Valdas Ivanauskis will be kept on - and he's said to be comfortable with that.

Saturday, 03 June 2006

I wait with great anticipation lol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently everyone is thinking it is Walter Zenga

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jambo4eva:

Saturday, 03 June 2006

I wait with great anticipation lol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently everyone is thinking it is Walter Zenga

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

Not heard anything about that too.

Anyhoo, have youse saw the Lacostelad thread on JKB? He lost a bet so has to wear a hibs top at our first home game of the season now icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye lol. as long as its not against hibs tho .

For any of you that care about Scottish LL football (or the Hibs fans that care about Mixu icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif, and the Hearts fans that don't like him), Paatelainen has convinced Gary Smith to join Cowdenbeath - old news I know, but what are the thoughts of Hibees - will he be good despite his age?

also M(ixu)Pifb

Re: Rab, that is very sad. But my god what a way to go. Football fans like him are a rarity these days so it is very, very sad.

Fantastic gesture from Hearts though to take him the cup - it's good to see that Hearts are still doing the 'community' stuff.

Mick, Sue, Pat and Elaine(n) are doing a good job at Cowden - tbh his connections in the game got them promoted. His brothers are simply a different class and helped a lot. Cowden seem to do well with the community so I hope they succeed. I was talking to Mark Baxter (Cowden player) a few days ago and he reckons there is a connection with Hibs being set up - not a feeder club as such but Cowden are set to get some youngsters on loan (reilly I think is going to Cowden - think that's his name) and in exchange Cowden are likely to let their young talent go to Easter Road, assuming they make the grade.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Former Hearts chairman George Foulkes says in a BBC Scotland documentary that club owner Vladimir Romanov suspected that a draw against Celtic was rigged.

"The genesis of the concern that Romanov had was after the 1-1 draw at Celtic Park in October," said Foulkes.

"Romanov was convinced that the result had somehow been contrived and was suspicious. But it was just so fantastic and unbelievable.

"He was fuming about it because he believed the match had been fixed."

Romanov later declined an offer from the programme makers to comment on what Foulkes said.

Foulkes resigned from his post shortly after the surprise departure of manager George Burley.

With Hearts top of the SPL table, Burley parted company with the Edinburgh club just seven days after the draw at Celtic Park.

"Irreconcilable differences" with the Tynecastle board was the reason cited for Burley leaving after a 10-game unbeaten league run.

In Romanov's first full season in charge at Hearts, the club went on to finish second in the SPL and win the Scottish Cup.

Graham Rix was brought in to replace Burley and his tenure was also short-lived, with Romanov sacking him after four months.

In the documentary; Romanov: King of Hearts, to be shown on BBC Two Scotland at 2100 BST On Tuesday, the owner claims he wanted to remove Rix earlier than he did.

Romanov was unhappy with stories being leaked to the media about his apparent meddling in team affairs.

Through the Scottish league we can go into Europe and do something meaningful there

Vladimir Romanov

"I gave him (Rix) some advice on how to utilise the players more rationally," Romanov explained. "So that the team could last all season.

"There was an argument and I was rude and I provoked him (Rix).

"I told him that if you lose (against Dundee United in February) you can forget about the head coach job."

That game was subsequently drawn but was followed by a home defeat by Aberdeen.

The unsettled players asked for a meeting with Romanov and persuaded him to stick with Rix for the sake of continuity.

"I told them (the players) I am prepared to wait (to get rid of Rix) but I think it is a mistake," revealed Romanov, who moved to axe Rix in mid-March.

In the documentary, Romanov outlines his reasons for sacking Rix, saying the coach was "too hesitant" and had "not found his style".

He also made a thinly veiled reference to Jim Duffy, who was brought in as a director of football to assist Rix but lasted only a few weeks.

"He (Rix) had some sort of secret advisor and that was having an impact on the team, " added Romanov.

"He wanted an assistant and said it was hard to work with Valdas Ivanauskas. So we let him come forward rather than sitting in a hole like a rat."

Despite a turbulent season behind the scenes at Tynecastle, Romanov has delivered one of the most exciting and successful campaigns the club has ever had.

And the Lithuanian bank-owning, former Soviet submariner aims to build on the early signs of promise.

"I knew I had the knowledge and experience to run a club in Scotland," he said after revealing an earlier thwarted attempt to take over Dundee United.

"And through the Scottish league we can go into Europe and do something meaningful there."

He also talked of ambitious plans to expand Tynecastle stadium and build a hotel and conference centre.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> He also talked of ambitious plans to expand Tynecastle stadium and build a hotel and conference centre. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> - Better than a block of flats then. icon_wink.gif

Never a dull day down Gorgie way. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pandaLUFC:

Cowden seem to do well with the community so I hope they succeed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They need to do something about the brick throwing neds that go to Central Park. Not looking forward to having to go to that dive twice next season. There's always trouble from the locals.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

VLADIMIR ROMANOV has revealed he is willing to spend up to £10million on a single player for Hearts.

But he is refusing to be drawn on reports he wants Alexei Mikhailichenko to lead his team in the new season.

Former Rangers star Mikhailichenko insists he is in the dark about alleged approaches from the Tynecastle club.

Sources close to Romanov claim the Hearts owner is keen to appoint a director of football to work above Valdas Ivanauskas.

Significantly, they suggest he is likely to be unknown in Scottish football circles which would appear to rule out Mikhailichenko, who spent five years at Ibrox in the 90s and is keen to continue in coaching.

Although Romanov was coy on the Ukraine Under-21 boss he has opened up to the extent of his ambitions for the Jambos in a revealing documentary to be screened tonight.

Advertisement

In Romanov: King of Hearts, to be shown on BBC 2 Scotland at 9pm, the Lithuanian tycoon is shown giving short shrift to an agent trying to sell him a players from Brazil for a fee in excess of £2m.

It was not the money he baulked at but the quality of the Mr Fixit's DVDs and sales pitch which angered him.

At one point, Romanov is seen walking out of a meeting in his Lithuanian HQ to play with the child of a friend as the agent tries to interest him in a string of stars.

The cameras are also given access to part of Romanov's vast library of data on players from around the world, all of whom are ranked on a scale of one to three by the banker.

He has folders with information on over 5000 players from Brazil alone and admits he will not hesitate to spend some of the biggest fees the Scottish game has ever seen to improve his side.

Romanov said: "At Hearts we need to get two or three good, strong players because we have no substitutes for several of the positions in the team.

"If I find a good, worthy player it doesn't matter how much I have to pay for him - £7m or £10m. I'll pay it. I'll pay the money."

But he admits he has little time for agents and added: "I've run into such cynicism it goes beyond any extremes.

"The licences of such agents need to be annulled. It needs to be done immediately. We need to fight against such agents.

"The role of agents in football clubs has become tragic. First of all, they don't want to know there's a club with its own interests and ambitions and that a player needs to be nurtured.

"A player fulfils his duty when he puts the interest of his club first, then his own, then those of the agent. However, agents switch all that around."

The cameras also track Romanov's early days growing up in Kaunas and has revealing footage of him at home in the modest one-bedroom apartment he shares in the city with his wife Svetlana.

He is seen riding a taxi around town and recalls the struggle to build a secret business empire under the radar of the KGB in the former Soviet Union.

The documentary makers have given him an estimated business worth of almost £1billion and have revealing, behind-the-scenes footage of his relationship with Graham Rix and players such as Steven Pressley.

Romanov also underlines the scale of his ambitions off the park, with plans to build a new stadium that will give the club an attendance of at least 25,000.

He said: "There is just one plan which would allow us between 25-28,000 fans.

"I'm also planning a hotel and the area between the stadium and hotel will be covered with a glass dome and a conference hall will be planned for there, that sort of thing.

"It will be a sports culture centre, rather than a stadium because the fans here are not like anywhere else.

"They're special, more intelligent, football connoisseurs. I see families coming here with children and I need to build it for them to suit their needs.

"I promise to build here a stadium and it will be a stadium with the best atmosphere in the world."

Despite Mikhailichenko's denials over landing a job at Tynecastle, other sources claim talks between representatives of both parties have already taken place.

They say Romanov held off from confirming Ivanauskas as head coach last week because Mikailichenko was mulling over a move back to Scotland.

He has just led his country to the finals of the European Under-21 Championship in Portugal, where they lost 3-0 to Holland on Sunday night, and is out of contract in September.

Romanov has consistently refused to be drawn on speculation linking him with players and coaches and it was no different over Mikhailichenko.

Although the man himself was more forthcoming he denied to be in the running for a role as coach or director of football.

Mikhailichenko said: "I don't know what you are talking about. I have just returned from the Under-21s finals.

"No one has approached me about Hearts. I have heard about Romanov but I have never met or talked to him."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must have some network of people scouting for him to have 5000 players from Brazil alone icon_eek.gif Surely gotta be some quality players on the list.

Cant really see him spending that much on one player tbh. Not atm anyway

£1billion icon_redface.gif were reports before not just a few hundred million?

This one seems to be more possitive than the last documentary done on him so will have to make sure I remember and watch ti tonight

I think the only stumbling block with regard to the stadium is Gorgie nursery. Romanov has offered to build them a new one, though the nursery and parents aren't having any of it.

19,000 thousand applications for season tickets have been received. If you add on to that the 3 or 4 thousand that buy their tickets at the gate and the away fans, we could have easily filled a 25k stadium against hibs and both the OF.

5,000 players from Brazil icon_eek.gif not much good if the vast majority wouldn't be eligible for a work permit, he does appear to be quite thourough in his football networks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "They're special, more intelligent, football connoisseurs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I used to own a flat in Gorgie, must have missed those ones on match days. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by miketheheadlesschicken:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pandaLUFC:

Cowden seem to do well with the community so I hope they succeed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They need to do something about the brick throwing neds that go to Central Park. Not looking forward to having to go to that dive twice next season. There's always trouble from the locals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do have a few kids who think they're hoolies and who think Green Street/Football Factory is the holy bible, however the layers do a lot for the kids and coach them every now and again.

Having watched some of the BBC2 programme on Romanov last night I could see a perfect opportunity for SI to sell him an advanced copy of their database, why waste time marking every player in the world out of three when he can have such an in depth analysis as FM. Failing that he could just buy himself a copy of the game. icon_smile.gif

Romanov is great for the game up here. Full of character, spirit and determination.

However, some of his comments really do make me cringe at times. Moreover, it is rather unfair that he's allowed to get away with some of his ramblings about fixes etc.

Arguably the exposure he gives the game (along with a much improved Hearts club) is worth the odd snidey comment though.

While I wouldn't go as far as to say games are fixed, I do consider the standards of refereeing within our game nothing short of appalling and the SFA need to address this sooner rather than later.

I assume those that watched this last night saw Zander Diamond's excellent one handed save, a save that should have seen him getting a straight red? The ref gave him a yellow and gave the penalty, thus there is no doubt in my mind that the ref himself saw this incident.

It's all fine n dandy the SFA fining clubs/individuals for speaking out against there precious officials, but nothing will change unless clubs grow a backbone and challenge the SFA on the ever declining standards of their officials.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> While I wouldn't go as far as to say games are fixed, I do consider the standards of refereeing within our game nothing short of appalling and the SFA need to address this sooner rather than later.

I assume those that watched this last night saw Zander Diamond's excellent one handed save, a save that should have seen him getting a straight red? The ref gave him a yellow and gave the penalty, thus there is no doubt in my mind that the ref himself saw this incident.

It's all fine n dandy the SFA fining clubs/individuals for speaking out against there precious officials, but nothing will change unless clubs grow a backbone and challenge the SFA on the ever declining standards of their officials. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ref did admit later that he made a mistake in not sending Diamond off, nobodies perfect. icon_smile.gif

My point is these mistakes are happening too often. Do you seriously think the current standard of refereeing is acceptable? The fact we have no officials at major tournaments tells its own story. Nevermind unleashing them on others, our officals aren't capable of refereeing big domestic games in Scotland

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

My point is these mistakes are happening too often. Do you seriously think the current standard of refereeing is acceptable? The fact we have no officials at major tournaments tells its own story. Nevermind unleashing them on others, our officals aren't capable of refereeing big domestic games in Scotland </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The current standard of refereeing probably matches the current standard of Scottish football, neither are appearing in major tournaments.

I'd consider the CL a major comp, no? Lets not just restrict this to international fitba.

The SFA have an obligation to all its members as to ensure that their own staff are up to scratch, and at the very least make sure they have the bottle, skills and experience required as to ref the big games in the first place.

I'd consider the CL a major comp, no? Lets not just restrict this to international fitba.

The SFA have an obligation to all its members as to ensure that their own staff are up to scratch, and at the very least make sure they have the bottle, skills and have the required experience as to ref the big games in the first place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know how you get from the hilarious match fixing to the refeering in Scotland there as he seemed to be accusing Burley of this.

Anyway one of the things I've agreed with Romanov on was when he said there is a bias in decisions to the OF. I recall he demanded a team looked at every 50-50 awarded to see if the OF get a good site more. Now this was never going to happen but I think it would have proved true.

The refeering is **** poor in Scotland and that's the only thing that's consistent about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stevethedog:

Don't know how you get from the hilarious match fixing to the refeering in Scotland. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was in response to this:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">However, some of his comments really do make me cringe at times. Moreover, it is rather unfair that he's allowed to get away with some of his ramblings about fixes 'etc'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assume Frankie was meaning his so-called ramblings over the refereeing standards?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyway one of the things I've agreed with Romanov on was when he said there is a bias in decisions to the OF. I recall he demanded a team looked at every 50-50 awarded to see if the OF get a good site more. Now this was never going to happen but I think it would have proved true. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reason I didn't touch on this is because I didn't want to be the one that got accused of stirring the **** with our OF friends. I'll simply say that I agree with you.

A 50-50 challenge, who's view do you take on that, there's enough debate on offside/not offside without adding what is a 50-50 challenge, how can you tell it's not 51-49 etc? icon_wink.gif Did Romanov ask about penalties and the numbers given to the OF in comparison to say Hearts in the last year or so? icon_wink.gif

I think that absolute, unfounded crap to be honest.

But if you wanted to go down that route, I'd argue that we don't get as many decisions as we actually should when directly related to the amount of alleged offences.

I can assure you the amount of stuff that we didn't 'get' at Ibrox this season was quite incredible.

But it's all subjective at the end of the day.

I agree, Hearts when at Tynie and not playing the OF, get some dubious decisions because the referees bottle it. So I'm not going to sit here and say otherwise.

With regard to the penalties i feel most of them have been just while a small number of them haven't been.

But to say just because hearts have had more penalty awards than either OF team means we've been favoured over other teams is just ridiculous. If it's a penalty it's a penalty and no amount of arguing is going to change that fact.

Should refs stop awarding us penalties after our 10th, or should there be a limit on how many penalties a team can get over 1 season? icon_confused.gif

Archived