Blood makes the Grass Grow

Adam C

"Remember the way you look upon me now. With that patronising look of the arrogant elder brother who's done it all before and seen it all before, as if I do not belong here, in this seat. You will not be able to gaze upon me ever again with this look of arrogance, as the future belongs to myself and to Droylsden, whilst you, the journalists are mere witnesses to this transition."

That's the only chunk i can remember from that ironically very memorable day, when I took charge of Droylsden F.C., 'The Bloods', (hence the title...) from that day on, things were to be very different. Oh yes. For both me and the club in which showed me the faith no other side had. And my job was to repay that faith. So I set upon the journey of managing Non-League side Droylsden F.C...

It didn't take me long to realise the side was absolute ****. Not long at all. But I had been prepared. Thank heavens too. The side may have been predicted 5th but that to me was either a completely ludicrous prediction, or a true tribute to the Blue Square North as a whole. Either way, i was shipping a fair load out, and keeping only a small section of the side on board. Recent additions before my tenure might be more tricky in terms of selling, but I would have to improvise with those unfortunates.

So it looked like July and August were to busy, and my crystal ball had been spot on for this occasion:

(I did not manage the friendlies)

July 11:

Friendly at home to Salisbury: 1-0 defeat

Brought in Franco Nacca, Venezuelan versatile RB, who can play CB and also as a CM, Ghanian right winger Malik Buari, Raphael Nade, the Ivory Coast AMRC, FC. So yes, you could argue so far I'm ruining the clubs english player basis, but the way I see it, the doubters will be pleading with me for forgiveness in time after realising their ability, will I forgive them? Fortunately for them, I am the ruler of this club, and more importantly, a merciful ruler. So yes, I will merely wait through the doubt and wait for the inevitable band wagon hitch-hiking.

July 12:

Sold Alex Brown, Steve Halford, Liam Brownhill, Steven Beck, Colin Cryan all on frees. Nice start to the clear out, but little signs of interest with the remaining dead wood.

July 14:

Friendly at home to GH Academy: 1-0 defeat

Yes I consider my assistant a fortunate man to survive with his job. The fact Glen Hoddle himself was not managing is irrelevant, the fact we lost to a side associated with the man is the point, oh dear oh dear.

I will finish the window in my next post, cheerio for now.

July 15:

Bought South African CB Joshua Vermooten and American centre mid Giallombardo on frees.

July 16:

Friendly away to Witton: 2-1 Win

First englishman signings as full back Darren Ebsworth and striker Stefan Connor join the Bloods.

July 18:

Friendly away to St. Albans: 3-0 Defeat

July 23:

Friendly away to Carshalton: 2-0 Win

July 26:

Friendly home to Histon: 1-0 Defeat

Sheff Wednesday become Parent Club after my personal recommendation.

July 29:

Friendly away to Oxford: 1-0 Win

Defensive Midfielder Callum Harrison in from parent club Sheff Wednesday on loan for the entire season.

July 31:

Friendly away to Wealdstone: 1-1 Draw

That's the end of the friendlies, luckily I don't care too much about performances here, it's all about fitness going up, but if I did, well I wouldn't be confident for the season that's for sure. But all in all, I think we're ready for the season at hand, this is where the fun starts...

8th August 2010

It was time for my 'debut' if you will. Home to Ilkeston. At 'The Butchers Arms Ground', yes an odd name for our stadium, but it would grow to be my home for some time, at least I hoped so. New boy Driss was signed in on the day just in time, another srtiker, as I had felt we were thin on the ground for options there.

Here was the team sheet:

(442)

GK: P Phillips ©

DR: Nacca

DL: Ebsworth

DC: Vermooten

DC: Bryon

DM: Harrison

MC: Giallombardo

MR: Buari

ML: Brown

ST: Nade

ST: S Connor

Subs: Mawson, Butler, Whalley, Driss, Roche

Kick Off

7mins: Nacca won the ball, pre-empting the counter attack, then played it out to Buari, who played a great ball across for Stefan CONNOR! 1-0 And a great start. I punched the air happily, solid start.

13mins: Giallombardo wins the ball, plays it along for connor, ball into Nade's feet, takes on the centre back, successfully! And strikes it home! Confident play from Droylsden and it's already looking like game over. I applaud the lads and remind them not to take their foot of the gas, anything can happen in football.

25mins: Pleased to have no goals conceded thus far, and a nice 2-0 lead. It would be nice to get another though, kill the game off for good.

30mins: Harrison does his job, gaining possession. Plays it to Brown, who flicks it for Nade! One on one! 3-0! Never in doubt, a great debut from the Ivory Coast native. My prayers had been answered and I sensed a growing warmth to yours truly from the surrounding fans. Good stuff.

Half Time:

A simple keep up the good work was in order for the lads, and a stern reminder to keep concentrating on the clean sheet, and the game should be ours. Emphasis on the should.

Second Half:

46mins: Long ball forward from Ilkeston, flicked on from Ricketts, oh and its in! Disaster start for the second period for Droylsden! Could this be the start of a comeback? Pfft. I was furious. Lucky goal or not, we had conceded. I would not allow us to let this slip away, otherwise my good start could end up a gutting 2 points loss, or on the worst possible scenario, a defeat. Time to step it up.

54mins: Buari collects the ball just outside the opposition area, plays it to Nade, first time shot! Saved! But it falls to CONNOR! 4-1 And surely, surely that is game over? Every time someone goes forward for this team you almost expect another name on the scoresheet. I shook the hands of my staff, even I was convinced the game was won now. Great response from the boys. Credit when it's due I suppose.

59mins: If it wasn't over at 4-1, it's most definitely over now. Harrison was given time on the edge of the box, before slicing it seemingly off target, before a huge deflection leaving the keeper with no chance. Goal given as an own goal, 5-1 Droylsden. Get in. All about damage limitation for them now, but for us it was just an enjoyable win to kick start the season. Very pleased.

75mins: They were playing like a beaten side, understandably, and also understandably, we were playing like a side who know we'd done the job. Butler, Roche and Driss all were brought on. But no chances to report.

82mins: Corner for Ilkeston, cleared. Only as far as the full back, ball in, Godden! 5-2. Ending a very entertatining spectacle at Droylsden. 7 goals and that one might just cheer the away crowd a little more for their return trip home. I shook my head, lacklustre defending, it had to be said, but I guess if you score 5 then it's less of a worry.

Full time

I shook hands with the opposition manager, with your generic, expected word of good luck for the season. I applauded the fans, and decided for once to be lenient with the lads in the dressing room, and focused on the good start to the season, a great attacking display, and more importantly 3points on the table.

Droylsden 5 - 2 Ilkeston

Best of luck with the Bloods - Pacey finished fifth with them this year and we just lost to Fleetwood in the playoffs on pens.

Just a small error, its should be Byron at CB. (He's not bad either!)

Hacker is bloody brilliant (Halford, he is a cult hero at the club), Cryan isn't half bad either, and Brownhill is one of their best players or was!

I didn't see Tony Gray in your lineup, but he's a goal scoring machine in the lower leagues.

Anyway best of luck, I will be following along

Oh, well looks like in real life the fans might not have been all too happy with me, virtually got rid of all their heroes, but Tony gray is in the side, but Nade and Connor and Driss all are ahead in the pecking order, but i'll give him a chance. Assistant gives him 1 and a half stars and like me thinks Nade is our top striker. But anyhow, good to have you along Panpardus :)

10th August 2010:

(451)

GK: P Phillips ©

DR: Nacca

DL: Butler

DC: Vermooten

DC: Harrison

DM: Sorvel

MC: Giallombardo

AMR: Buari

AML: Whalley

AM: Nade

ST: Driss

Subs: Mawson, Field, Connor, Ebsworth, Roche

Bit of a early season fixture pile up, unneccessary if you ask me. Just 2 days after Ilkeston, and we're away to Hinckley. I wasn't particularly pleased, but the scenario was equal to both sides. So fair is just about fair I guess. Time to show our quality then.

"Ok lads, as you know, away in a tough game, we'll be converting to the 4-5-1 in which you should each understand your roles. Paul obviously in goal, Nacca and Butler fullbacks, Harrison I want you at Centre back this time, you can play there so I have faith, Vermooten alongisde you. Sorvel, I know it's not your position, but I need you to give a shift at defensive mid today. Giallombardo, you sit in the centre, with Nade just in front of you, just behind the striker, on the wings will be Buari and Whalley. Up top Driss you can have your debut, show our supporters why i bought you. So go out there and get the win, focus on the clean sheet lads."

Kick Off:

15mins: Nothing of note to speak of. Fairly dull beginning, scrappy and scores remain nil-nil.

18mins: Nade gets the ball, plays in Drisse! He's taken out! Surely Bancroft must go! He does! Professional foul! Hinckley have 10 men! Out of nowhere this game has become interesting.

19mins: Free kick taken short, out to Nacca, in to Buari, he turns on the edge of the box, Shoots! Ooooh GREAT GOAL! 1-0 Droylsden and a stunning goal, and the game could well be over already wit Hinckley being on 10 men. I smiled, it was ours to lose though now, but we were in a very good position.

26mins: Giallombardo wins it, plays it to Drisse, edge of the box, turns and SCORES! Another great strike and you have to feel for Hinckley, it's not been easy with 10 men, and the 2 goals were unstoppable. Game over. I was delighted, very clinical and understandably Hinckley looked out of it. Our defence was at ease, and it looked as good as over.

Half Time

The rest of the half passed quickly, with little or nothing happening, but for us 2-0 at the break, no complaints. We just had the finish the job for the next 45 minutes.

Second Half

70mins: All that's happened up to now has been a dangerous ball in from Whalley cleared for a corner and a long range wild effort from Nade, which never threatened to go in. Roche, Field and Connor on for Nade, Buari and Giallombardo.

Full Time:

Nothing happened after our 2 goals, and I was just pleased to get the result, it was a shame it was such a bore for the spectators, but 3 points and a clean sheet was fine by me. The red card perhaps ruined the match, but at the end of the day, 3 more points were on the board.

Hinckley 0 - 2 Droylsden

Archived