Why do players not become player/staff for the final year of their contract?

Just wondering why I can't get players to double as staff & players for the final season. Roque Santa Cruz is the most recent example, I offered him a job as a coach because it was all thats there. He still retains his playing stats and is still getting called up to the Paraguay national team. He's beyond the age to be in first team contention, so I had to prepare accordingly but it seems he is still there as a player somewhere for Paraguay to make use of him. I would have liked that option instead of loaning in a striker for this season as I await my replacement to develop.

Usually the players that do this don't get called up to the national team, so I had sort of accepted it but seeing him still scoring for his national side is a bit annoying since I've currently got an injury crisis and he would be useful right now lol. Is it something that has been indicated it will be looked at in the future or something?

It would be nice if at 34/35 some players decided to slip into 2/3/4 years as a player/coach knowing they would only make one or two appearances a season as quite a few have done that and it would definitely rectify this problem where its currently player or coach with no inbetween other than those who start the game as player/coaches.

Gary Speed, Paul Ince, Andy Hessenthaler (for many years), Dennis Wise, Martin Allen (I think), Ole Gunner Solskjaer did a bit of both for a few months before he gave up playing, Alex Rae - mentioned just this week, Gerry Taggart, Tony Pulis, Sir Stanley Matthews even managed to turn out a few sides for a team he was managing close to his 60's.

One thing I can safely say, is it does happen in real life. Most players like Gary Speed decide to begin learning coaching as their playing days are winding down. There is countless player coaches in the game already, they just seem to evaporate quickly because the game doesn't facilitate the creating of any more.

Rory Delap is one player guaranteed to become a player/coach once his time at Stoke begins to come to an end, he has said as much and does want to get into coaching, as well as keep playing for as long as he physically can so he'll be moving down the leagues probably coaching his throw ins, and one day see a part time non-league team get a goal against someone in the FA cup from one of his throws lol.

you just proved that it doesn't actually! you named a dozen of players among the thousands of players that exist! so it is normal for only 1% of players to have a double role during their last year and that is something that happens in fm

I've noticed this problem as well, I accidentally retired a club legend a season early because I didn't realise what would happen if I offered the coaching contract. I just assumed he would maintain his playing contract until retiring.

you just proved that it doesn't actually! you named a dozen of players among the thousands of players that exist! so it is normal for only 1% of players to have a double role during their last year and that is something that happens in fm

He's talking about players who have already decided to go into coaching after retirement, not just every player of that age.

Those aren't the only players ever to do it, now more than ever players who are going into management/coaching will spend the final year or two of their time as a player coaching and learning the trade there so to speak. But still, even if its only 1% of players who do it that way, it still actually happens. It has to be 0% for it not to happen.

However, if a player is still happy to play for another 12 months, and he is planning on going into coaching. I honestly believe he would be happy to stay on to make a few appearances when needed rather than just go straight into coaching, then still want to play and be called up for his national team.

I can also ask Santa Cruz to learn new PPM's even though hes not a player for me. So, somewhere along the line he is still recognised as being a player but isn't available for selection for me, but is for Paraguay. So obviously something is amiss, he is recognised in both coaching and playing capacities, can be interacted with as a player, but can only have his coach workload adjusted.

I think it is down to the fact that you cannot offer playing contracts to retiring players, so only the non-playing contract options appear. Bit annoying really, we should be able to offer player/coach roles until the end of the season.

Agreed, especially since Roque Santa Cruz is having a revival at the moment, 4 games for Paraguay, 15 goals. Four of which were against Brazil, I could do with him in general right now never mind the fact Lacina Traore and Altidore are out injured lol.

I first did it with Ronaldo in my 3rd season not too long after FM10 came out, it was a much bigger problem doing it mid-september considering he was my best striker still and my team were relegation candidates and had scored about 40 goals in 60 games this is the first time since I was hoping it may have been fixed with 10.3 but wasn't sure lol. At least it won't be as much of an issue this time even though I am in desperate need of strikers at the moment.

What happened to us getting news about them being able to become coaches (aka the UEFA coaching cert. for those of us in Europe)

I know for a fact we used to get it in previous games, but seems like it's been taken out

If anything, it would be one solution, since quite often they will get staff attributes before announcing retirements, allowing for player/staff contracts

Edit: Or how about we have a new contract element placed in, that allows us to have the offered contract take effect either immediately, end of the season, or end of current contract

Of course, situations and personalities determine which a player would accept at a given time

Archived