FM10: Cesc Fabregas

dagoonerfan

never heard off him :rolleyes:

Was wondering how long it would take for this very predictable response. Didn't think it would be the first post though!

Good to have a discussion on Fabregas imo.

Get a lot of people asking how to get him to perform as his attributes suggest. :thup:

A question: has his finishing actually improved that much or have you altered his stats a bit? I'm not accusing or anything, I just want to be sure before I get my hopes up that my Fabregas's finsihing stat of 13 will massively improve :D.

Would you believe it took me until about two weeks ago to even get Fabregas performing to the level he should be? It took about five save games and endless hours of tactical tweaking to get him performing. In my latest save, I went and specifically tailored my intructions to suit Cesc and it paid dividends. Here's an example of how well I got him performing:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/6718/worldplayeroftheyear201.png

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/269/europeanmidfielderofthe.png

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1876/europeanfootballerofthe.png

Granted, those awards can be pretty contreversial. That is in season one, by the way.

I feel he performs best as an Advanced Playmaker on either Support or Attack, alongside a defensive player. I've made some ammendmants to his instructions afterwards, like so:

mcinstructions.png

A question: has his finishing actually improved that much or have you altered his stats a bit? I'm not accusing or anything, I just want to be sure before I get my hopes up that my Fabregas's finsihing stat of 13 will massively improve :D.

Would you believe it took me until about two weeks ago to even get Fabregas performing to the level he should be? It took about five save games and endless hours of tactical tweaking to get him performing. In my latest save, I went and specifically tailored my intructions to suit Cesc and it paid dividends. Here's an example of how well I got him performing:

Granted, those awards can be pretty contreversial. That is in season one, by the way.

I feel he performs best as an Advanced Playmaker on either Support or Attack, alongside a defensive player. I've made some ammendmants to his instructions afterwards, like so:

mcinstructions.png

I got a realistic Arsenal Team guide

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f71/the-comprehensive-arsenal-guide-t32453.html

and downloaded the database. Whoever made it well done

Check the age.

No way possible to get Fabregas to improve that quick in such a short space of time, he is either edited or using that terrible 'make every Arsenal player amazing' database.

Only just noticed myself to be honest.

Check the age.

No way possible to get Fabregas to improve that quick in such a short space of time, he is either edited or using that terrible 'make every Arsenal player amazing' database.

Only just noticed myself to be honest.

Boo hiss, edited screenie in the OP is just poor form :thdn:

Same old Ar5ena1 always cheating!

I've been playing Football Manager for many years, and everytime I do, I try playing as realistically as possible with Arsenal, as it annoys the hell out of me when Wenger buys £40m superstars and other unlikely events during the game.

First thing we have to do, is start off on a realistic base, meaning we have to use a custom database with better appreciation of the main Arsenal characters.

These are quotes from that FMbase link, does anyone else see the irony here.

What a joke.

Every year Ar5ena1 fans cry about their teams attributes, yet somehow year in year out their RL counterparts somehow manage to live down to the attributes given.

This thread is misleading for people who want to play properly.

Not all of us cry, to be fair. A few of us are quite content with the current ratings of the team. I never bothered to follow that guide anyway, because I quite frankly do not agree with much of what has been written.

But anyway, enough about that. We don't need this esculating into something completely off-topic.

This is a screenshot of Cesc Fabregas on the 10.3 patch, right at the start of the game. No database changes made.

cescfabregas.png

Not all of us cry, to be fair. A few of us are quite content with the current ratings of the team. I never bothered to follow that guide anyway, because I quite frankly do not agree with much of what has been written.

But anyway, enough about that. We don't need this esculating into something completely off-topic.

This is a screenshot of Cesc Fabregas on the 10.3 patch, right at the start of the game. No database changes made.

Fair point and respect to the proper screenie and your attitude. :thup:

I see that database last week when someone posted it in the Arsenal thread, some of the player adjustments are just ridiculous!

Fair play, that dude has made a very thorough and long post, but the database is absolutely awful. :thdn:

I see that database last week when someone posted it in the Arsenal thread, some of the player adjustments are just ridiculous!

Fair play, that dude has made a very thorough and long post, but the database is absolutely awful. :thdn:

As far as I'm aware, the dude is a dudette ;p

Either way, I personally appreciated the work she put into the articles discussing her interpretation of arsenal; the history, the current formation, etc, and even her work on the persistent 3d kits, which I'd use if I could be bothered altering her database to retain the vanilla player stats :D

I digress though. As stated, I don't use the database as it looks slightly overpowered in favour of the Arsenal squad. I wouldn't go as far as calling the changes ridiculous however, as to me, the problem looks more as if it lies in her understanding of how certain stats impact on the ME. If we take fabregas for example, IRL, I think we can agree that he is actually a very clinical finisher. I'm sure she recognises this, and as a result, decided to alter his finishing stat. However...what actually makes fabregas such a good finisher is his technique, and composure in front of goal. In game, it's his excellent mental stats, coupled with great technique that make him such a deadly presence in front of goal. Unfortunately, I think this is possibly something she overlooked when designing the database.

mcinstructions.png

Could you post a link for your tactics

brother, but you cant doubt that fabregas finish better than rooney. check their stats to see.

goals attempt/ goals.

4 X as clinical. and dont forget rooney is an out-and-out strikert. whereas fabregas at most is an attacking midfielder.

Then Eto'o, Higuain. Benzema and Berbatov all should have finishing lower than 17? Just because you convert most of your chances doesnt mean you have a better finishing...Think about that

Then Eto'o, Higuain. Benzema and Berbatov all should have finishing lower than 17? Just because you convert most of your chances doesnt mean you have a better finishing...Think about that

Can't agree more with you there 7zige. :thup: Wise words.

• 5 weeks later...

I do feel Fabregas finishing deserves a raise if you compare him to other midfielders. The likes of Deco Ballack and Scholes have pretty high finishing (and technique) in the game but they have much higher finishing yet their goalscoring ratio is not better than Cesc. A raising to 17 might be a little extreme but I dont think a small raise would be inappropriate

BTW thanks JEinchy. I tried your modifications and just thumped Pompey 8-0 with Fabregas playing 9.4 :thup:

I can't understand why Arsenal would need to be improved on FM anyway... They are capable of winning the Premiership in the first season, something they obviously haven't achieved in real life for a while, and don't look to be doing any time soon. Fabregas could be a little better I suppose.

13 finishing isn't bad at all, especially combined with a composure of 18. Look at Neymar (finishing 11 or 12, composure around 14 IIRC), and he can get 30+ goals in a season aged 18!

So... is he better as an attacking or supporting APM? How would you use him in a 4-5-1 formation using players only from the original Arsenal team?

47522164.jpg

I play him with those instructions in a 4-3-1-2 on the right of a three man midfield. He got 29 assists in 40 games with 6 goals and averaged 7.80, starts lots of moves as well as assisting. His finishing is fairly rated in my opinion he has good composure and is generally a great player.

So... is he better as an attacking or supporting APM? How would you use him in a 4-5-1 formation using players only from the original Arsenal team?

Attacking, definately.

I use him like this (My squad's the original Arsenal squad + Chamakh, Annan and Aurier)

---------------RVP-------------------

Arshavin-------------------Nasri/Walcott

--------Diaby---------Cesc---------

---------------Song----------------

Song: Anchor Man (Defend)

Diaby/Denilson: Ball Winning Midfielder (Support)

Fabregas: Advanced Playmaker (Attack)

Played: 40 (1)

Scored: 11

Assists: 18

MoTM: 14

AvR: 7.81

This is not Fabregas first high scoring season in real life. He had one the season before the last one (where he scored 13 goals at the age of 21). And to suggest there is a 4 POINTS finishing difference between Fabregas and Scholes is correct is just... weird. Paul Scholes has never scored more than 14 league goals EVER for United something Fabregas has done this year. And even if he was a great finisher he has lost that somewhat with age. You just cant shoot that hard anymore when you get older. I am not saying Fabregas deserves a 17 in finishing. But I dont think a finishing of around 14 would look out of place

Attacking, definately.

I use him like this (My squad's the original Arsenal squad + Chamakh, Annan and Aurier)

---------------RVP-------------------

Arshavin-------------------Nasri/Walcott

--------Diaby---------Cesc---------

---------------Song----------------

Song: Anchor Man (Defend)

Diaby/Denilson: Ball Winning Midfielder (Support)

Fabregas: Advanced Playmaker (Attack)

Played: 40 (1)

Scored: 11

Assists: 18

MoTM: 14

AvR: 7.81

Great, thanks. I have seen the AI get him playing like the superstar he is, and I've also seen him do terribly. Worst performance in a season I have seen was 6 assists, 1 goal (league only), yet on other saves I have seen him get 20+ assists and 10-15 goals.

It seems you and AcidBurn are using him to full effect, well done. 14 MoMs is outstanding, I'm guessing RvP got a fair few, too.

This is not Fabregas first high scoring season in real life. He had one the season before the last one (where he scored 13 goals at the age of 21). And to suggest there is a 4 POINTS finishing difference between Fabregas and Scholes is correct is just... weird. Paul Scholes has never scored more than 14 league goals EVER for United something Fabregas has done this year. And even if he was a great finisher he has lost that somewhat with age. You just cant shoot that hard anymore when you get older. I am not saying Fabregas deserves a 17 in finishing. But I dont think a finishing of around 14 would look out of place

The high composure aids his finishing ability aswell though. Ville got 11 goals out of him in a season, I'd say this is realistic representation of real life.

Perhaps he could be slightly improved, but he will with age and training anyway on this game.

Only 9 players in United's history have scored more goals for the club than Scholes - and he's not even a centre forward. You don't acheive without being able to finish consistently. He plays a deep lying midfield role now anyway and gets few chances and when he does he'll still finish with the best of them, you don't simply lose that type of ability.

'You just cant shoot that hard anymore when you get older'. He's still a brilliant striker of the ball, he's not in his 60's you know :D.

Anyway, this is well off topic know and I suspect you'll get your wish about Fabregas' finishing for FM10 anyway.

One of the reasons Scholes has scored so much for United is that he has played there so long. Dont you think that if Cristiano Ronaldo and RvN had always played for United they would be ahead of him? That he is 9th on the all-time goalscoring list has little to say. His 17 in finishing currently makes him as good as Cristiano Ronaldo and better than messi....

Ferguson has said himself that Scholes is not capable of scoring as much as he used to. He has good technique for striking the ball but you do loose strength in your legs when you reach 35 which impacts your finishing

He's not as capable of scoring as often because he's been playing in a deep lying position the last few seasons, his position dictates that he doesn't score as often. He'll still invariably score when presented with a good chance thereby indicating that he is still a very proficient finisher.

Bring it up in the United data thread if you feel strongly about it, this is not the right thread to discuss it.

• 3 weeks later...
47522164.jpg

I play him with those instructions in a 4-3-1-2 on the right of a three man midfield. He got 29 assists in 40 games with 6 goals and averaged 7.80, starts lots of moves as well as assisting. His finishing is fairly rated in my opinion he has good composure and is generally a great player.

What skin is that?

I play 4-3-3 with 3 CMs, one striker, and two inside forwards.

Fabregas consistently score 10+ goals and make 15+ assists for me. But it has come at the cost of my striker not scoring many goals, but instead assist Cesc.

What I do is I have two play makers. One defensive-deeplying playmaker (Rodwell) and one advanced playmaker (Hamsik). Cesc plays the support central midfielder, but with FWR on often. What happens is, when he gets the ball in midfield, he have the striker and two inside forwards to pass to, and when he doesn't have the ball, he makes runs beyond the striker who drops deep and pass him to score goals. I think it's only works with great creative strikers like Dzeko or RvP though.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm guessing you're underachieving in general as well? Maybe you should make a conventional tactic rather than a 4-1-3-2 haha.

You're never gonna get as much success as you could with a shape that strange, it just defies how the game works tbh. There's not much you could change to make Fabregas perform better in that tactic as he needs someone to pass the ball to, whereas he's got no one there as they're all busy trying to get into the box.

I'm guessing you're underachieving in general as well? Maybe you should make a conventional tactic rather than a 4-1-3-2 haha.

You're never gonna get as much success as you could with a shape that strange, it just defies how the game works tbh. There's not much you could change to make Fabregas perform better in that tactic as he needs someone to pass the ball to, whereas he's got no one there as they're all busy trying to get into the box.

Well I'm not really underachieving as i'm only 3 or 4 points off top spot.

I suppose it is a weird formation though and I should try a more simple one..

Ty

Archived