Official Uruguay thread

Micado

Im at the point of giving up on a Uruguay midfielder for my fantasy football. I really feel Uruguay can do well in the World Cup but I need a guaranteed midfielder that will start every game and has the possibilty of getting a goal or an assist... any tips?

Ignacio Gonzalez.

Just put a fiver on these, think they're the best outsiders and have had quite a good history picking the dark horses. 2004 I went with Czech Republic who almost got to the final and in Euro 08 went with Russia who upset all but Spain. Still, time to test it in the WC. 'mon Uruguay! :)

Have they ever played a simple 4-2-3-1, it looks to suit them best imo.

Muslera

Perreira Lugano Godin Caceres

Perez Gargano

Cavani - - - Gonzalez - - - Suarez

Forlan

Don't fancy Cavani as a right winger tbh...

Would personally play Suarez down the right, with say Cristian Rodriguez/Albin down the left (but ofc they haven't been selected for the WC) - just what I would have done

Tabarez has confirmed the team vs. South Africa:

Fernando Muslera; Jorge Fucile, Diego Lugano, Diego Godín, Maxi Pereira; Egidio Arévalo Ríos, Diego Pérez, Álvaro Pereira; Diego Forlán; Edinson Cavani, Luis Suárez. (4-3-1-2)

The midfield just seems way too negative and I don't think Forlan as an attacking mid is going to work. It was really stupid to take just two creative players, and now one is suspended and the other one has fallen out of favour, there is very little flair in the team.

Have to win here though, otherwise we're as good as out.

Would be a real shame should Uruguay not make the impact that they've been threatening at this World Cup. Am really hoping they can beat South Africa. Out of interest, but do you live in Uruguay? What's the media reaction been so far?

Fernando Muslera; Jorge Fucile, Diego Lugano, Diego Godín, Maxi Pereira; Egidio Arévalo Ríos, Diego Pérez, Álvaro Pereira; Diego Forlán; Edinson Cavani, Luis Suárez. (4-3-1-2)

The midfield just seems way too negative and I don't think Forlan as an attacking mid is going to work. It was really stupid to take just two creative players, and now one is suspended and the other one has fallen out of favour, there is very little flair in the team.

Yep, you need to win, good to see he keeps faith in Suárez after his first "bit" disappointing game against France.

So Forlan in a kind of AMC role off the both strikers Suárez and Cavani? If so not sure if that will work, did Forlan play there this season (or ever)? He better could have put Suárez at that position, as he sometimes play in such a role for Ajax.

Out of interest, but do you live in Uruguay? What's the media reaction been so far?

There's some disapointment with the way the team played and with some players, but nothing over the top since a draw with France is seen as a good result.

So Forlan in a kind of AMC role off the both strikers Suárez and Cavani? If so not sure if that will work, did Forlan play there this season (or ever)? He better could have put Suárez at that position, as he sometimes play in such a role for Ajax.

Forlan played there in the Copa America '04 with Fossati, iirc it wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. I think the team will lose a lot of edge up top without him, as he showed against France he's by far our most dangerous man, hopefully Suarez and Cavani can deliver.

Didn't know Suarez played there for Ajax, was he any good? I've never really seen him as the type of player who could play there.

Forlan played there in the Copa America '04 with Fossati, iirc it wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. I think the team will lose a lot of edge up top without him, as he showed against France he's by far our most dangerous man, hopefully Suarez and Cavani can deliver.

Didn't know Suarez played there for Ajax, was he any good? I've never really seen him as the type of player who could play there.

He didn't play there much ofc, but did really well, but, the Dutch Eredivisie is of less standard then the WC, so is no guarantee, but I think that Suárez with his speed and relatively small size can do better at that position then the bigger, less faster (then Suárez) Forlan.

Oh time will tell

I still dont understand how suarez was preferred to cavani in the 1st match...
Maybe as Suárez had a really good season.

Aah, Uruguayan people are here.

I have a question (well, a few) - why weren't Cristian Rodriguez, Abel Hernandez or Caros Diogo selected? Diogo had a serious injury so I presume that is why, but the others? Did the fight with Heinze dent Rodriguez's chances that much?

Bah. No Ignacio Gonzalez. Wtf? Where is the width? Anyway Im looking forward to seeing Cavani in action

Diego Lugano with a São Paulo (a Brazilian club) themed vacuum flask: :cool:

lugano-copa.jpg

The mascot on the vacuum flask is Saint Paul, who is São Paulo's mascot.

Forlaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

To Ajax, please.

Yes, but not going to happen :D

Good win, a draw against Mexico should be fine to advance to the next round.

Suárez played a bit better then the first game, but still not as good as he can, he is missing form/different role in the team/different tactics but am sure he will be good against Mexico.

I am not commenting how much I despise Luis Suárez.....

You're a natural enemy of Suarez because he plays at Ajax and your piddly team gets battered by him/them time and time again.

It's like a rabbit expressing his disgust at a hawk or something :D

• SI Staff
You're a natural enemy of Suarez because he plays at Ajax and your piddly team gets battered by him/them time and time again.

It's like a rabbit expressing his disgust at a hawk or something :D

****ing diving queer bastard he is!

I don't naturally detest Ajax players, I'm prone to not really liking them :D

But I must admit to liking Heitinga and Melchiot (until his money move to Al-Oilsheik) and Van der Sar is my favourite player. Also have deep respect for Bergkamp and Litmanen.

Sneijder, van der Vaart, Kluivert... types that are generally annoying and arrogant... I do not liike!

Would I like Danny Buijs, Christian Kum and Lex Immers if I weren't an ADO fan? No probably not :D

But on a more serious note, I don't really like Gattuso and Materazzi either, but at least I respect them because they can take a bump. Suárez is just a diving cheat.

• 3 weeks later...
I told you so :cool:. Poor form on the thread name Micado ;).

Fair enough, he did had a good, very good WC (Forlan that is), but must say that Suárez started off poor (1st game against France) but got better along the way and a very important goal vs. S. Korea.

Anyway, too bad that they lost the 3rd place game.

Archived