Liverpool FC 2008/09

Moreclaw

• Replies 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you signed either of Eto'o or Villa, you could win the league. It would certainly be a lot closer than the last few years. 2 world class strikers, Gerrard, Reina and a quality winger (be that Babel or a signing) is the sort of spine that could win you the title.

Originally posted by therubberducky27:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Hicks laughs off Torres sale talk

Liverpool will not allow striker Fernando Torres to leave at any price, says the club's co-owner Tom Hicks.

Chelsea are said to be considering a £50m offer for the 24-year-old but Hicks made it clear Torres would not be joining Chelsea or anyone else.

"There is no price at which we would consider selling Fernando Torres," said Hicks. "The Chelsea rumours in the media are total rubbish."

Torres recently said: "I'm very happy at Liverpool and want to carry on."

The Spain striker was at the centre of speculation that he was a top target for new Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari, along with AC Milan's Brazil superstar Kaka.

But Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry told BBC Sport last week: "Fernando Torres is just not for sale to anyone. It is as simple as that, really - he is not going anywhere."

Torres took the Premier League by storm last season, scoring 33 goals after his £20m move to Liverpool from boyhood club Atletico Madrid.

And he is currently delivering impressive performances for Spain at Euro 2008, where he said last week: "I have no intention of leaving. We have to focus our energies to give the little step we need to get to the top teams."

Hicks does something right for once. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

makes no sense to sell your biggest asset-business decision nothing more

Liverpool fury at Gareth Barry price tag

Liverpool will refuse point blank to pay Aston Villa's "ludicrous" £20million asking price for Gareth Barry.

And the Anfield club are prepared to walk away and look elsewhere for a midfielder if Villa hold out for what is considered a massively inflated valuation.

Manager Rafa Benitez is angry his counterpart at Villa Park, Martin O'Neill, is being obstructive in negotiations, when it is clear Barry wants to leave to further his international ambitions.

Villa have refused to budge from £20m and if that continues the Merseyside club will apologise to Barry 28, and walk away, with Portsmouth's Lassana Diarra a viable alternative.

Pompey want Peter Crouch and a swap deal would offer a solution.

The Mirror

Hope this is true and Rafa has his sensible head on. 20 million for Barry is a joke. No idea what O'Neill is playing at. 15 million was pushing it for what is another example of over inflated prices for an English player.

Just keep Alonso and spend our money on players we actually need.

Think rafa has pretty much decided that Alonso doesn't fit in with our current formation (and tbh he doesn't really, though it could be changed to suit him) so I don't think there is any chance of him staying.

So all the reportsd are saying Portsmouth will offer £10m for Crouch. Crouch + Riise + Alonso out then equals about ~£29m. Dossena is going to be £7 or £8m? So £21-22m left, I do really wonder if he's been told there is no money but what he gets in sales.

Diarra seems good, but it's not really who I want for our first xi. We need someone to sit between Masch and Gerrard and both both Xabi and Diarra seem a bit defensive for that, not happy enough to travel with the ball like Barry will. Step it up Lucas

Originally posted by jhype:

Hope this is true and Rafa has his sensible head on. 20 million for Barry is a joke. No idea what O'Neill is playing at. 15 million was pushing it for what is another example of over inflated prices for an English player.

Fancy putting an unrealistic, inflated price tag on a player you don't want to sell. Shocking behaviour.

Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jhype:

Fancy putting an unrealistic, inflated price tag on a player you don't want to sell. Shocking behaviour. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 'shocking' comes from the fact that apparently an original 15 million price tag ws put on Barry but once it seemed we were willing to pay that, O' Neill seemed to think that he could get an extra 5 million out of us.

And all this for a player I don't even want that bad. Of course it's understandable O'Neill wanting to keep hold of his prized possession but he may well do himself more harm than good as Barry has stated he wants to join us and now it looks like we may look elsewhere and Barry is stuck at Villa because of the unrealistic price.

Originally posted by The Rafalution:

Think rafa has pretty much decided that Alonso doesn't fit in with our current formation (and tbh he doesn't really, though it could be changed to suit him) so I don't think there is any chance of him staying.

So all the reportsd are saying Portsmouth will offer £10m for Crouch. Crouch + Riise + Alonso out then equals about ~£29m. Dossena is going to be £7 or £8m? So £21-22m left, I do really wonder if he's been told there is no money but what he gets in sales.

i think it's more to do with alonso refusing to join up with the european squad when one of his family died/was ill than that he doesn't fit in to the squad.i could be wrong though.

Originally posted by LiverpoolSimplyTheBest:

Diarra's not defensive. plus he's more than capable at getting the ball and running with it, has fantastic feet.

Really? tbh I've only really seen him play against us where he was probably a lot more restricted

i have a feeling we've been giving about a £20m budget plus sales. if true, and with crouch, riise and alonso going, it could add up to around £50m. probaly won't spend that much, with rafa possibly preferring to keep a bit of cash in the bank incase we need to strengthen in january.

Originally posted by postal postie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Rafalution:

i think it's more to do with alonso refusing to join up with the european squad when one of his family died/was ill than that he doesn't fit in to the squad.i could be wrong though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it was the birth of his son ffs, nothing but paper talk that.

Originally posted by The Rafalution:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Rafalution:

i think it's more to do with alonso refusing to join up with the european squad when one of his family died/was ill than that he doesn't fit in to the squad.i could be wrong though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it was the birth of his son ffs, nothing but paper talk that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that was it!! i knew it was something like that icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by J4m1e:

Barry will be a good signing, why the outrage in signing him?

Because 2 seasons ago Alonso was the better player and people like to ignore that Barry is more the kind of player we could do with between Masch and Gerrard than Alonso is.

Originally posted by J4m1e:

Barry will be a good signing, why the outrage in signing him?

I've got absoloutely nothing against him as a player. I like his attitude and calmness in everything he does.

But, he's too expensive and not nearly as talented as Alonso so our interest should be cooled.

Originally posted by pjburrage:

Is Alonso really younger than Barry, thought they were roughly the same age.

Roughly the same yea, Alonso 26 Barry 27.

As for the other points, about £2m is not what I'd call much less. As for being better, based on the last 2 seasons Barry has been the better player. Alonso has been average for us.

Alonso might be a better player, but there is absolutely no point having Alonso over Barry because he's the better player, when for a long time now he hasn't shown it. I'd prefer actual performances to ability, which is what we'll get.

Selling Alonso for any less than we buy Barry for is a joke. Its not 2m anyway, its getting closer to 6. Can't believe anyone is for this move.

Also found it hilarious how lukewarm the response is in the Villa thread for signing Milner when some of us are so in favour. Says it all really, we're going backwards.

It's not going to 6 ffs, Alonso price is quoted at about £14m, we've had a bid of £13m recently turned down for Barry. We'll get him for about £16m, certainly not £20m.

And I think it's only Jep for the move for Milner, everyone else hates the idea.

I thought our latest offer had add-ons to take it up to almost 16m? Thats what I read about about a week ago, I'm not exactly bothered about checking as the whole saga is a shambles and it just depresses me when I get onto the subject. Like now.

Originally posted by DeafParrot:

Sissoko could do that. Hence he's tearing up Serie A atm.

Don't want Diarra, he's a complete **** and will only cause trouble.

Serie A is a lot slower, players have more time and space on the ball. Hence Sissoko's awful first touch doesn't matter as much as often as there are not players around him to capitalise on it.

Often in the Premiership he'd take a dreadful touch and have to hurridly pass the ball and so would lose it.

Plus, how many of his yellow cards were for challenges he was making to regain the ball after his touch let him down?

There are question marks over Diarra's attitude but I think if he played regularly then he'd be settled and no trouble for Benitez.

I have heard that I am supposed to have said that I would prefer to go to Liverpool to play next season or that I want Chelsea to be my next team. Please, Guillem, make sure that people know that I have not said anything like that. My club insists I am not for sale and, believe me, I am totally focused on the European Championships. As far as I know, nobody from Liverpool has been in touch, but in any case my future is not something I have in my mind at the moment. I do not understand why people put words in my mouth.

David Villa

don't want diarra, completely pointless signing. he's been p1ssed off at arsenal and chelsea due to not being played week in week out, he's be backup for mascherano at best here so he'd get p1ssed off again.

he wouldn't get into the other centre midfield slot alongside masch imo, he's nothing like creative enough. would honestly prefer barry in there, and given how completely not-fussed i am about barry signing that's an admission of how badly diarra would fit into our system.

Originally posted by Elim:

Drop Barry interest, keep Alonso. Millions saved.

Move onto next target and stop wasting time.

exactly what i have been saying for weeks. its a pointless sighning. we could use the extra to get bentley instead of milner for example.

Archived