Liverpool FC 2008/09

Moreclaw

• Replies 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Moreclaw:

Not that i'm against the idea of Bentley signing. Our of the realitic targets we've been linked with, he's the most interesting by a mile.

Oh I'd love us to sign Bentley - I think he's a quality player and would slot right into our formation. But bell just as clueless as ever in his reasoning.

Balague actually has no inside knowledge at all. He may well be friends with Benitez, but it's not as if Benitez doesn't know he's a journalist icon_biggrin.gif Benitez is only going to tell him what he wants him to know ffs.

Yea he likes to think he's an inside man, knows more than us but still nothing really.

As a hypothetical...

What would happen if we didn't sign anyone other than Dossena?

Babel a year older and a year wiser, Kuyt's goal return must improve surely. Alonso staying injury free would be nice and Agger back will help as well. I think we'd do better than we did this season.

Of course I want us to spend big and bring in some class names, but even without them as a unit we would probably improve. Though by how much though - the same comments could be said about the other top sides AND they'll spend.

It's an interesting question I hope we don't have to find out the answer to.

Anyone else worried about 2nd season syndrome for Torres? Would be a nightmare - but does it really happen to the genuinely class players?

Originally posted by Tony7:

Liverpool's away kit next season will be grey and it will be available in 4 weeks time to buy. I quite like it actually.

that the one which was leaked months ago with a kind of checked pattern in it?

Originally posted by BBB:

The same Ballague that said we had signed torres during the 2006 world cup?

Here's to 4th again lads, turning that corner icon14.gif

if we win the league this season coming will you sit on the wall in the new full liverpool away kit?

(surely if we're so unlikely to win it its a safe bet?)

Originally posted by Jearm84:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony7:

Liverpool's away kit next season will be grey and it will be available in 4 weeks time to buy. I quite like it actually.

that the one which was leaked months ago with a kind of checked pattern in it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that's the one.http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/666shaft/scan.jpg

Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bell:

David Bentley is the only English player to score a hat-trick vs Man Utd in the Premierhsip era, surely that suggests he has the attitude and pedigree for a big game.

One swallow doesn't make a summer. The previous player to do that was Dennis Bailey who managed it at Old Trafford, did the same apply to him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Random facts:

I was at the game where Bentley scored the hattrick

Those were the only three goals he scored all season.

As a hypothetical...

Babel a year older and a year wiser, Kuyt's goal return must improve surely. Alonso staying injury free would be nice and Agger back will help as well. I think we'd do better than we did this season.

Of course I want us to spend big and bring in some class names, but even without them as a unit we would probably improve. Though by how much though - the same comments could be said about the other top sides AND they'll spend.

Anyone else worried about 2nd season syndrome for Torres? Would be a nightmare - but does it really happen to the genuinely class players?

I'm not sure to be honest about this. I have no issues about Torres and his form at all. Babel was looking like the player we want him to be towards the end of the season and injury curtailed the good run of form Aurelio was having.

If Kuyt can consistantly play as he has done so far during the Euro's then I'd have zero qualms about playing him on the right once again. The only problem is looking to be up top as Crouch looks to be definitely leaving which would leave us with Voronin as backup to Torres which clearly is not good enough.

In conclusion I don't think making any signings would neccessarily make us any worse but it would take a lot of luck and all players to be on top of their games for the whole of the season to see us improve on last season

Originally posted by niggle:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jhype:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony7:

try this link hopefully this will work

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/666shaft/scan.jpg

I like it. Just like this one </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i like it as well for the same reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

indeed, its retro & its FB

As a hypothetical...

I don't think Torres will score as freely this season if we don't improve our attacking options.

Kuyt may well grow into his new role and will certainly have a big role to play.

I do think Babel needs more competition to take the pressure off him. Atm we're all looking at him to push on and turn into a top player but he seems like someone who has, atm, confidence issues. If we're looking at him to take on too much responsibility too early it might break him.

Also, let's consider injury issues. Presuming Crouch is gone, what should happen if Torres, Gerrard, Kuyt or Babel is missing for a significant period of time? Who would come in and what formation would we play?

We just do not have enough quality in attacking positions at this moment in time. Btw, if he's still right mentally i would gladly keep Pennant as a squad player in order to avoid paying money for Milner and rather splashing out for any of the many better options in attack.

Originally posted by chrissybabe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moreclaw:

Not that i'm against the idea of Bentley signing. Our of the realitic targets we've been linked with, he's the most interesting by a mile.

Oh I'd love us to sign Bentley - I think he's a quality player and would slot right into our formation. But bell just as clueless as ever in his reasoning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really, I was simply pointing out that he has the pedigree to score big goals. There are the facets to his career that support this. he certainly isnt a Dennis Bailey or Kevin Lisbie. There is simply no denying he is a cut above that kind of player.

Id point out that he is also an England international, but that probably means nothing cos Steve Guppy has an England cap or something.

TBH this is the kind of crap that deters people form posting in this thread and OTF. You actually agree with me that he is a qaulity player yet still feel the need to score a cheap point for no apparent reason.

Originally posted by bell:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chrissybabe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moreclaw:

Oh I'd love us to sign Bentley - I think he's a quality player and would slot right into our formation. But bell just as clueless as ever in his reasoning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really, I was simply pointing out that he has the pedigree to score big goals. There are the facets to his career that support this. he certainly isnt a Dennis Bailey or Kevin Lisbie. There is simply no denying he is a cut above that kind of player.

Id point out that he is also an England international, but that probably means nothing cos Steve Guppy has an England cap or something.

TBH this is the kind of crap that deters people form posting in this thread and OTF. You actually agree with me that he is a qaulity player yet still feel the need to score a cheap point for no apparent reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or maybe it's when people use completely spurious reasoning to back up their points and then object when people point this out.

the fact that someone scored a hat trick against manchester united does not make them a big game player, as we've shown. if you want to point out the number of big goals that he's scored in a number of big games (and i've frankly no idea if he has or he hasn't) you'd have a case. The fact it was pointed out to you other players who have done the same thing shows why your 'evidence' to back up your case did no such thing.

And you're absolutely right, merely pointing out that he's an england international doesn't mean much either, for the long list of players with that accolade who aren't up to much.

Neither of those things make him a bad player, incidentally, and of course he's a cut above lisbie and Bailey. The point is merely that if you're going to try to back up your opinons with evidence of one kind of another, you can't them complain if people challenge the conclusions you're drawing if your analysis appears flawed, as it does here.

I am not going to write an essay every time I want to comment on a player though. The post wasn't designed to be a defintive statement on all players that have hit bug hat-trick's, I was merely making an observation. I doesnt prove or disprove anything and we could probably argue it forever more if we chose to.

Frankly I think David Bentley's qualities speak for themselves anyway, im not sure why the thread has gone down this route.

There are naysayers for almost every transfer target we ever have I guess. Im sure if I went and trawled last season thread, there would be people doubting whether Torres could cut it.

I'd like to thank mark g for replying almost verbatim what I would have.

Nobody wants you to write an essay bell. What would be nice is sensible reasoning, not claiming a player is something because of one example. That's just lazy. And that is "the kind of crap that deters people form posting in this thread".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

if we win the league this season coming will you sit on the wall in the new full liverpool away kit?

(surely if we're so unlikely to win it its a safe bet?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

gahahahaha... seriously, if you win the league this season i'll fly to manchester and sit on that wall naked.

Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jearm84:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

gahahahaha... seriously, if you win the league this season i'll fly to manchester and sit on that wall naked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

duly noted.

Deal.

Originally posted by J4m1e:

Eto'o is free to leave according to the new Barca manager. Should snap him up with Villa and just let Babel, Eto'o, Villa, Torres and Gerrard do what they want, with Mascherano covering. New 4-1-5. icon14.gif

This amused me icon_biggrin.gif Though you missed out Dinho.

Surely means Villa to Barca.

Hicks laughs off Torres sale talk

Liverpool will not allow striker Fernando Torres to leave at any price, says the club's co-owner Tom Hicks.

Chelsea are said to be considering a £50m offer for the 24-year-old but Hicks made it clear Torres would not be joining Chelsea or anyone else.

"There is no price at which we would consider selling Fernando Torres," said Hicks. "The Chelsea rumours in the media are total rubbish."

Torres recently said: "I'm very happy at Liverpool and want to carry on."

The Spain striker was at the centre of speculation that he was a top target for new Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari, along with AC Milan's Brazil superstar Kaka.

But Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry told BBC Sport last week: "Fernando Torres is just not for sale to anyone. It is as simple as that, really - he is not going anywhere."

Torres took the Premier League by storm last season, scoring 33 goals after his £20m move to Liverpool from boyhood club Atletico Madrid.

And he is currently delivering impressive performances for Spain at Euro 2008, where he said last week: "I have no intention of leaving. We have to focus our energies to give the little step we need to get to the top teams."

Hicks does something right for once.

Archived