Complacency - a GOOD thing?

Just to set the scene, I'm 4-0 up against Spurs at White Hart Lane with twenty odd minutes to go. A good time to bring on a sub to rest the experienced players, I thought. Thing is, I forgot to do the sub teamtalk when bringing on a striker. Glancing down at the motivation, I saw he was complacent. Oh bugger, thought I.

Within a few minutes of arriving, he received the ball from an high clearance from our keeper, and proceeded to lob it first time over Gomes from well outside the area. That, combined with his complacency makes me think he did it as a "yep, I'm awesome" sort of thing.

Now, usually complacency seems to be a bad thing, where a player will thing he doesn't have to try against opposition, but here that arrogance allowed him to score a stunning goal.

Am I just a bit mad, or is there some logic behind my reasoning?

It's better to have your players complacent than nervous, I'll give you that.

I'm not sure entirely what attributes complacency affects, though. I assume it lowers concentration, and possibly work rate, but if your example were right, then it'd have to boost flair in some players also, and maybe composure - it wouldn't be unrealistic, just don't know if it really happens.

It'd be nice to see C.Ronaldo and the like showboating or taking stupid shots from range, once they felt sure of the three points.

I think complacency is always a bad thing. As it decreases the likelihood of your striker to perform well it obviously still doesn't mean he will be sure to do no good.

When you say he dared to attempt this spectacular strike only because he just didn't care, I actually doubt that this is true, but I don't know.

I agree with jayahr in that it is possible he would have scored anyway had he been fired up rather than complacent. In fact, he might even have scored more that way.

However, I am still slightly hesitant to claim that complacency is always a bad thing.

It's better to have your players complacent than nervous, I'll give you that.

I'm not sure entirely what attributes complacency affects, though. I assume it lowers concentration, and possibly work rate, but if your example were right, then it'd have to boost flair in some players also, and maybe composure - it wouldn't be unrealistic, just don't know if it really happens.

The different areas of the game aren't simple boosts to attributes, they're another factor entirely AFAIK. So, you roll the "attributes" dice, then the "motivation" dice, then the "morale" dice...

I can't imagine complacency ever being better than being fired up. If your player in your example really wanted to put the ball in the net, would that have made him less likely to score than if he didn't care?

Archived