The Best Kept Secrets

Matt_no_7

Ok, seeing as i've recently torn my ankle ligaments...then on monday (while on crutches) fell down the stairs and cracked my ribs, work is going to be a no no (thank god for sick pay) So with that in mind, i got myself the FM and with it, may as well make a story, gotta keep the brain active...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, seeing as i've recently torn my ankle ligaments...then on monday (while on crutches) fell down the stairs and cracked my ribs, work is going to be a no no (thank god for sick pay) So with that in mind, i got myself the FM and with it, may as well make a story, gotta keep the brain active...

Chapter 1

Funny how things work ain't it? One second top of the premier league, fighting the best in europe and winning and the next, ya playing in the championship...yeah, really funny that. But this is the life of a Leeds United fan...it has it's up's...but mostly it has it's down, but we stay loyal to the cause. Having supported Leeds all my life, i'd seen some great times (The above, winning the league in '92) and some bad times (Getting dumped out of the best league in the world by Bolton) but life goes on and it did for Leeds United and me. My names Reece, been a fan of this team since the day i was born, my dad and older brothers made sure of that. But back to the main story... We'd just finished 10th...which wasn't bad...but it was no way near brilliant. It was a happy medium. Blackwell had brought stability to the team along with help from Ken Bates (which i admit warming to now) but, stability never lasts in the land of Bates and in the summer, some sort of arguement ended Kevin Blackwells hopes of being the longest serving Leeds manager of the last few years as he was ousted out. The press condemned Bates of course (not happy unless they're slating someone for something) but he as always had a trick up his sleave...and we loved it...

"And late breaking news, Leeds United chairman Ken Bates has announced that former Leeds and England Midfield favourite David Batty has been appointed as manager. It's been a strange couple of weeks at Elland Road but early reaction has been positive. Batty is held in high reguard with fans of the Yorkshire club and it will be interesting to see how the former Newcastle hardman reacts to life in management."

Take 1 part shock, 2 parts joy and 1 part unease and you have how i felt. Yes David Batty, legend...but does he really have what it takes to manage a team of this size? One way to find out i guess...

Chapter 2

The next few days were weird for us...we actally had money to spend and from the offers reportedly being made, we had quite a bit (By championship standards). Before we go further, let me give you a run down of the side...

Goalkeepers: Ian Bennett and Neil Sulivan. Both high quality, Sulivan being one of the top 3 keepers in the league. I must admit i had seen very little of Bennett but he was experienced and seemed eager to work hard for anything he got, which was a must for this team.

Right Backs: Gary Kelly and Fraser Richardson. Kelly, proven to be a top quality defender, loyal servant to this team and a legend in the mind of every Leeds fan, great player. Richardson, still haven't seen enough of him, but highly rated and at such a young age, plenty of room to improve and progress.

Left Backs: Dan Harding and Stephen Crainey. Harding comes highly rated, a great prospect for the future and great to have as this position has always been a bit of a tough one to cover. Crainey, never really had the chance to impress last term with injury and when he did play, he didn't stand out so this season will be a big one for him.

Central Defenders: Matthew Kilgallon, Sean Gregan, Paul Butler and Rui Marques. Kilgallon is another one of our great prospects for the future, got regular football last season and looking reasonably sound, time to really start showing his worth. Gregan takes the captains armband and although he's not the quickest around he knows the back line well and can organise the defence. Same goes for Butler, not the quickest but his experience will give him an edge over most. Marques is one i doubt will make it to the start of the season, doesn't possess the quality but may be given a chance until a replacement can be found.

Right Midfield: Steve Stone and Robbie Blake. Stone is a proven but faded international. Great in his forest days but (as most players do) faded at Aston Villa. Found some of his familar form at Portsmouth so hopefuly he'll bring some of that to Leeds, out for a little while, misses start of the season. Robbie Blake is a player with alot of potential if he can get a regular run of good form going. Moved for some big money and we'll be wanting him to justify that.

Left Midfield: Eddie Lewis and Danny Pugh. Very short in this area but we've got a top class player in Lewis, establised internation for the USA and could be playing in the world cup if he's lucky. Pugh impressed last season, but has to build on it as he faded in a big way towards the end. Good for a few goals i'm hoping.

Central Midfield: Jonathan Douglas, Shaun Derry, Simon Walton and Jermaine Wright. Douglas is on a season long loan from Blackburn and sounds like a decent player, made a few appearences for Rovers but will be looking for regular football while here, could impress. Derry could boss the midfield this season, tough as they come and not afraid of a tackle, nice to see in this ballet dancing center midfielder days. Walton is the same, tough and determind, has great talent for someone just 17 and i hope to god we keep him unlike the others who left (Milner, Lennon and co.). Jermaine Wright did well last season, nothing brilliant but can really dominate a midfield if given the right partner.

Strikers: David Healy, Rob Hulse, Ian Moore, Richard Cresswell and Matt Warner. We'll start with Healy. Came in last term with high hopes but didn't really realise them, needs to score more regularly and hit at least 15 in the league, 20 in all. Hulse really looked good on his loan spell, now he's here for good i'm hoping he recreates that same form and does the business for us, could forge an awesome partnership with Healy if they gel right, out until september. Moore is one i'm still wondering about, think Blackwell had a striker fetish and sometimes the strikers weren't that good but all deserve a chance, dunno if Batty will see it that way. Cresswell is the same, never really rated him and hope he gets the boot sooner rather than later. Warner, not seen much of the lad, he scored a few last term before he got injured, if Cresswell gets the boot, could have a better chance, we'll have to wait and see. He's very very quick.

Ok thats it, thats the team Batty has to work with and you'd have to be down right dumb not to realise it needs improvement. Wheather it gets improved is under debate...

Chapter 3

I've fast forwarded a little bit to the start of the real season. Pre-season was joy after joy, especially when we spanked Burrow town 27-0. Matt Warner netted 11 times, incredible for him as he scored 20 goals in 4 games. All the opposition was poor but he was by far the best of the lot. As for signings, the first one showed alot of promise, with Hulse out and Moore and Cresswell being sold as soon as, Batty bought Geoff Horsefield in from West Brom for £140k. Bargain in my book, could thrive with the young lad Warner as they netted 19 of the 27 goals in that Burrow game. Other signings brought in were Carlos Bocanerga from Fulham for a structured £1m deal. I'll give ya a quick run down of the In's and Out's of the transfer window...

IN's:

Carlos Bocenegra (CB), £1m structured deal from Fulham

Geoff Horsefield (ST), £140k from West Brom

Seyfo Soley (CB/DMC), £750k from Genk

Peter Leven (AMC), £200k from Kilmarnock

Ryan Jarvis (AMC/R/ST) Season long loan from Norwich

Out's

Ian Moore (ST/CM), £50k to Aldershot

Richard Cresswell (ST), £110k to Oldham

Jermaine Wright (CM/AMC) £200k to Lincoln

Danny Pugh (LB/LM) £100k to Coventry

Rui Marques (CB) £20k to Vit. Setubul

There we have it, some shocks going out, some coming in but thats football and part of the reason why we love it so. Our first 2 matches found us traveling to the midlands to play Wolves and then Derby. After battering every single team we came across in pre-season (breaking into double figures 3 times from 5) the team looked confident enough to give Chelsea a run for their money...

Chapter 4

Wolves 3-1 Leeds: Dismal to say the least, Walton came off injured after just 2 mins, only ray of sunshine all day was Warner and Horsefields link play, they we fantastic and the source of our best moves. We dominated from start to finish then going into the last 10mins, conceded 3 goals and blew it, but i suppose we can take alot away from the game. The missus wasn't happy that she missed eastenders for that performance but i pay the bills so stuff her, least what i'm watching is real. Sorry, side tracked. I saw alot in the Wolves game that gave me hope that the bookies prediction of relegation (And 3000-1 for the title) was wrong (put £10 down on Leeds for the title...too good to pass up, shhh...don't tell the woman)

Waking up on monday morning, i got the papers in, finding something rather interesting...

"Seyfo Soley has come out after Leeds Uniteds 3-1 defeat to Wolves stating that he isn't happy with the way manager David Batty talks to the team during match day..."

Well, hardly suprising you got a talking to son, you were to blame for at least one, if not 2 goals. It also said that Dan Harding felt the same, but thats just tough...i think Batty had some stern words for Soley after that little outburst, i'd rather not be him this morning i tell ya.

Tuesday soon came round as did some good news results wise, the trip to the midlands was not a pointless one..

Derby 1-3 Leeds: Goals from the brilliant Warner and Horsefield. Horsefield opened the scoring on 3 mins with a big header. A bit of a defensive lapse let Tommy Smith pull one back before Warner Netted his 3rd with a well placed effort and he doubled his tally with a second on 61mins. He's really thriving with Horsefield, they've both looked very inventive and like a strike force to be reckoned with. First win on the board and hopefuly we have more to come. The next game is against QPR at home, i'll be there with my season ticket in hand after this little doozy.

The aftermath of this result is however that David Healy is out for 2 months and Kilgallon out with a sprained ankle, as well as Shaun Derry with the same. Sulivan suffered a training injury. He hasn't started a game this term and while Bennett has conceded a few, he hasn't been half bad and will for sure get a longer run in the side now. After the win, the whole team had they're confidence back, yes they've leaked some stupid goals but it just looks like trying to get to know each other still, when they gel i'm sure they'll be alot more solid. Still with some funds and some time, Batty was still looking for some new recruits to bring in. As injuries mount it doesn't look brilliant in terms of the size of the squad but it could be worse. A couple of back up signings could do the trick and i've heard rumours of Mark Kerr being top target.

Chapter 5

Leeds United 6-0 QPR: Absolutly bloody amazing. We dominated from first to last, how can people still pen us in at 30-1 for a win...i'm making a killing...i just made £150 quid for myself, cheers Mark Jarvis. Back to the result though, again it was Horsefield and Warner making all the headlines, they netted a hat trick each and the entire back 4 seemed incapable of getting a sniff of the ball. Eddie Lewis was fantastic, Robbie Blake is starting to thrive in that right midfield spot and the defence was faultless for once, not a foot wrong anywhere. Matt Warner was man of the match with 3 goals and 2 assists.

The whole city was on a high after that, relegation? Yeah right, we were gonna go up this season, i had a feeling and from what i heard, so does David Batty. After spending more than any other team in the league it looks like we'd become the Chelsea of the championship and we all know that Chelsea are gonna win the league again...or will they?

The papers confirmed that we had been bidding for Mark Kerr and we'd just had a £900k offer accepted, but so did West Ham and Sunderland. That has been the main problem...just when we get close to signing someone, the vultures swarm in and snatch them from under our noses. David Batty spoke of his frustration in the transfer market in a radio phone-in. Having the funds doesn't always mean you'll get a signiture as it proves, seeing as many players snubbed Batty and Leeds for other teams. Hopefuly we'll get to rub they're nose's in it come May when were back in the premiership.

I managed to get off lunch and down to thorpe arch to watch the lads train and i must say, they look good and healthy. It's a relitivly young side, the most impressive players being Warner, Douglas (still to start a game), Walton looked to be taking things easy after his injury, as did Shaun Derry. It's all looking a bit bare training wise, hopefuly we'll have a full strength squad for the visit of Burnley.

Leeds 4-1 Burnley: Again, the brilliance of Horsefield and Warner partnership shone through as they bagged a brace each. In control from start to finish but more worries were raised as Ian Bennett was taken off leaving us with just one established goalkeeper. We lead 3-0 at half time before Horsefield got his 5th goal of the season 15mins from time. New Burnley signing, former Leeds striker Brian Deane got the consolation goal with 4mins remaining but the points were in the bag at half time. Upto 3rd and 3 wins from 4 games. Only Reading and top team Crystal Palace can better that.

Sadly though, the injury list is just getting bigger and bigger. It's now 9 first team players out with injury. Meaning they'll be no rest for the likes of Warner, Horsefield and Blake for the trip to Mansfield in midweek for our first round League cup tie. The players who are out are as follows,

David Healy

Rob Hulse

Dan Harding

Ian Bennett

Carlos Bocanegra

Matthew Kilgallon

Steve stone

Eddie Lewis

Gyfil Einarsson

Bleak reading really and not what we want to be seeing, as were only 4 games into the new season and every game seems to bring a new casualty. More bad news followed on the monday when Mark Kerr decided against a move to Leeds, saying he felt it would be a step down, yeah right...have you actually seen scottish football. Anyhow, not to be dishearted Batty threw his all into the last week of transfer madness, making bids for Nick Montgomery of Sheffield Utd, Bjarni Gudjonsson of Plymouth, Youl Mawene of Preston and a loan offer for Spurs teenage striker Bernard Lee.

Offers didn't just go out on the monday though, catching a glimpse of sky sports news i spotted that Spurs had a £7.25m offer for Matt Warner turned down and Middlesborough had a offer rejected for Dan Harding. It was all kicking off as i sat down to watch Jeff Stelling guide me through the 1st round league cup fixtures.

Mansfield 0-8 Leeds: Another brilliant night but expected in some ways. Warner and Horsefield bagged a brace each, Douglas got one as did new signing Leven. Derry scored a fantastic 30 yard effort for his first of the season, and Walton wrapped it up with a penalty in the 88th min to seal our route into the next round. But all our good news seems to come with bad news, loan signing Ryan Jarvis is out for at least 2 months with strained ankle ligaments making it 10 first team stars out. I hope to god we manage to sign someone before the transfer window is done.

Chapter 6

CSKA Moscow beat Liverpool 3-2 on penalties in the super cup final which was welcome, bloody scousers! Oh and just to inform you also, Chelsea beat Arsenal 2-1 in the charity shield final and to celebrate, bought Ronaldo from Real Madrid for £24m. A few party poppers and some beer is good enough celebration for me but those Russians, always going one better. It has been a slow week really. The next game coming up is against Plymouth away, could be a tough one. The day of the match quickly came as did the draw for the 2nd round of the league cup, in which we drew Northampton Town at home, hopefuly we'll make it through and get a big team in the 3rd round but all in due time, 3 points against Plymouth is a must to keep up the confidence, hopefuly we'll be able to get through this match without picking up another injury. The Elland road's physio room must look like a world war 2 field hospital by now.

Plymouth 0-4 Leeds: Another top class result, only mistake being a missed penalty. Goals from the usual sources, Horsefield opening the scoring after a cheeky headed flick from Warner set him free to lash home from 12 yards, Warner netter a penalty 6mins before half time with ease. Blake finished off a fantastic chipped through ball from Walton to make it 3-0. Warner missed a 2nd penalty but made up for it 3mins later, latching onto a Crainey through ball before nutmegging a defender and lashing it into the top corner. 4-0 final score and upto 2nd in the league. Sulivan man of the match.

What made things more impressive is that we got through the game without picking up an injury and Rob Hulse made a small 10min cameo in place of Warner. What did shock me and most of the footballing nation that night while watching Match of the Day is that Chelsea had announced a failed £15m bid for Matt Warner. I really hope we don't sell the lad, he's been amazing and i hope he knows how he got here, i think unlike others before him, he is true Leeds Utd material. Big LUFC tattoo down his forarm, always wearing the shirt with pride, great to see these days after the likes of Smith and Ferdinand, b****ards! And Lee Bernard agreed to his 3 month loan move, so he'll be joining the squad in time to play Watford at home on Monday.

Chapter 7

It's becoming tiring now. Everytime we find a player, someone else comes in and steals them away. Vilakazi joins Betis for £140k, disappointing but not entirely unexpected. I've heard nothing from the other offers we've made, but with the transfer window closing quickly we need to make some serious moves. We have made a loan offer for Aston Villa star Steven Davis but i don't know if it will yield much success, but i have been wrong before...like when i said Leeds would win the champions league (not a f**kin word). Anyway moving on and people still doubted us, again long odd's to beat Watford and David Batty being the man he is pretty much slated everyone for doubting him and his team even after scoring 18 times in 5 games, winning 4 of them. He stated his confidence in the team and said Leeds would have the last laugh when all is said and done, i hope so, 3000-1 for the championship...thats like..£30,000 quid. I could buy my own box at Elland Road...come on lads, daddy needs a new directors box!

Leeds 2-1 Watford: Our toughest game yet. Strange line up, but injuries have forced Batty's hand i suppose, 16 year old Oliver Hotchkiss made his debut in the centre. Watford had us pinned down for most of the first half, Sulivan was like a man posessed, save after save and really showing the excellent form that has made him Man of the match for our last 3 games. We came into the game alot more towards the end of the first half, Warner and Horsefield both forcing saves. The gaffer made some changes, Douglas coming on for Hotchkiss who's taken a knock (he looked very good, sharp and inventive, had a great battle with Spring in the centre, one to watch!) started the 2nd half alot better, pinning Watford back and in the 60th min we got what we wanted. Blakes fantastic corner found Horsefield at the back post who sent home a thunderous header and it got better 2 mins later. Brilliant link play between Horsefield and Warner released the young lad, he rounded Foster in the Watford goal, unlucky not to score as Foster got a massive hand to it but the ball spang into the path of Horsefield who tucked away his 11th of the season. We were looking like we'd cruise but a really crap clearance from Soley gifted the ball to Henderson who tucked home with 15mins left. It was very very frantic and even between the teams after that, the last few mins really showed why Sulivan is probaly the best in the league with 3 fantastic saves in the last minute alone. The whistle finally blew and we'd done it. Richardson and loanee Bernard came on also, but didn't see enough of the young lad to be impressed. Sulivan man of the match.

In other news though, the champions league draw was made with all 5 teams in there. Chelsea were drawn in group A with Real Madrid, Rangers and Monaco. Arsenal got drawn with PSV, Sporting and Shakhtar. Everton got Barcelona, Lille and Steaua. Man Utd ended up with Porto, Schalke and Rosenborg while Liverpool got Juventus, Benfica and Anderlect. Fun and games, really gonna be looking forward to that Chelsea v Real Madrid game.

Chapter 8

Ok, we've just got to the end of August so i'm gonna give you a quick run down of how things stand.

(played) (won) (drew) (lost) (for) (against) (points)

1. Crystal Palace (6) (5) (1) (0) (15) (6) 16pts

2. Leeds United (6) (5) (0) (1) (20) (6) 15pts

3. Reading (6) (4) (2) (0) (12) (3) 14pts

4. Southampton (6) (4) (1) (1) (12) (6) 13pts

5. Norwich City (6) (4) (1) (1) (7) (2) 13pts

And for the top scorers

1. Matt Warner / Leeds United / 10 goals

2. Geoff Horsefield / Leeds United / 9 Goals

3. Jon Macken / Crystal Palace / 6 goals

4. Dave Kitson / Reading / 6 goals

5. Andy Johnson / Crystal Palace / 5 goals

And there you have it. From where i'm standing our match against Crystal Palace could be a very interesting one as we're about even when ya tally everything up. But we got a while to wait, 11 days until our next match, a home game against Norwich City, another tough looking match but we'll have a new recruit for it in the shape of 17 year old defender Lewin Nyatanga who joined for £50k from Derby County, he can play in the centre of defence or on the left. Bids for Montgomery, Gaven, Gudjonsson and Marwene were abbondoned but the deal for Glenn Whelan still has some life in it. From what i've heard on planetfootball though, Kilgallon, Hulse, Einarsson and Lewis will all return from injury in time for the Norwich game and with no one leaving for International duty, hopefuly it will give some of the lads a rest for the long season ahead.

Chapter 9

We finally agreed a deal with Sheffield Wednesday to bring Whelan to us. It was an undisclosed fee but Stephen Crainey goes to other way in the deal which i wondered about but i'm sure there a plan in the head of David Batty. Also a bid was made to Sheffield's other club for 18 year old right sided utilty player Aaron Frey. The window is set to close at midnight tomorrow so, it's all going to be a bit rushed. Don't know how much the bid was but i'm sure good old Batesy can get us a bargain.

The end of the transfer window came and went, we didn't manage to sign Frey but we've got a good squad of young stars, maybe we can gain promotion on youth. Geoff Horsefield won player of the month, Eddie Lewis coming in second and Andy Johnson 3rd while Dan Harding got young player of the month (Despite being injured for quarter of it), Peter Leven got 2nd and Kevin Doyle of Reading snatched 3rd. David Batty came second in the manager of the month award behind Iain Dowie, Steve Coppell of Reading got 3rd. Unlucky for Batty but there's always next month and i'm sure he can win it, maybe Mark Javis can give me some odd's. Speaking of odd's, wonder what the odd's were for Wales v England. 1-1, Earnshaw opened for Wales 8 mins in but Gerrard equalised 10 mins into the second half. Not great for us, but could have been worse i suppose.

Hulse, Einarsson, Lewis and Kilgallon all resumed full training and is a massive boost, hopefuly they should be fit for our next game against Norwich which i've heard will be young Nyatanga's debut at left back. With Harding out for a good while yet and Crainey going to Sheff Wednesday, he's the only one who comes close really. England beat N. Ireland 2-1, Beckham and Defoe netting while Warren Feeney scored N. Irelands goal, a win but not an impressive one by any stretch of the imagination, god help us if we play a GOOD team thats all i can say. And with that, the international break is over and it's pretty much back to the saw mill and the slating of Leeds United. Horsefield misses out after picking up a bruised head in training (Bruised head? Back in my day....) so Hulse should make his first start of the season after returning from injury.

Leeds 0-0 Norwich: Nyatanga and Whelan made impressive debut's but it wasn't enough to get the win. It was a very even first half but we dominated in the second looking dangerous throughout, only let down were Warner and Hulse who couldn't convert their chances. Hulse looked a bit ring rusty but had a couple of good chances. We tried just about everything but Robert Green had a save for every occasion. Hard fought point for Norwich but i was pleased with the result as they had some chances to score which could have easily found their way in. We missed Horsefield in a big way as we lacked a big man up front to hold up the ball and make life difficult for the Norwich defenders. Gregan man of the match.

Chapter 10

Thanks to that draw we dropped a place to 3rd and Palace took out a 3 point lead at the top of the table. Next up is Sheffield Wednesday, i'm hoping to get to that match as it's away and should be a good one. Whelan could return to his old club, after his perfomance on saturday i wouldn't bet against him to start this match either.

Sheff Wed 3-1 Leeds: Leven started up front with Warner as Hulse declared himself unfit to start but otherwise it was the same squad that faced Norwich on saturday. I did make it to this match, though i wish i hadn't of bothered. Peacock opened the scoring with a good header in the second minute and they looked good for another until we caught em on the break. With the defence on it's way out Walton clipped the clearence first time into the path of Warner (hint of offside) who drew the keeper in and lobbed him from 18 yards to make it 1-1 on the 20 minute mark. After that we dominated until our inability to clear the ball punished us. A goal mouth scramble left Sulivan out of position and Whelan was beaten to the ball by Burton O'Brien to make it 2-1 Wednesday. We made a couple of changes. Leven came off as he was dire and Nyatanga also left the field, he looked a little out of his depth, maybe one for the future. It got worse for us 7 minutes into the second half as they pressued us over and over. Peacock latched onto a good through ball before Gregan hacked him down and conceded a penalty, straight red card which was harsh. McCormack netted the resulting penalty, 52mins gone, 3-1 down and a man down. As i said, may as well not have bothered. We had a few good breaks, Warner switching to right with Hulse as the lone front man. They both had chances but most of our time was spent defending and we didn't do it very well. Kilgallon held back Peacock (who had been the bain of our existance) and conceded another stupid penalty before pushing Brunt and getting booked. Brunt stepped up but Sulivan saved to save a few of our blushes. Final whistle blew and the Leeds fans trudged out, unhappy to say the least. Warner and Lewis were the only inventive ones, the rest looked crap. We gave away the ball way too cheaply and got punished for it, god help the boys in the changing room.

Things got worse after though as we found out Sulivan was out for at least a week, leaving us with no established goal keepers in reserve. It didn't look good at all, in fact it looks absolutly s**t. From what i heard Batty got on the blower to Rafa Benitez at Liverpool trying to strike up a loan deal for Scott Carson. Next up we face Leicester, the game is televised so the whole nation can see us get shown up thanks to our lack of goal keepers. Interesting one though as Matt Warner returns to his home town and could be lining up against his younger brother Chris who has so far been free scoring from the midfield this season and his best mate James Pamma in the City goal. I need a cig and some beer, it's gonna be a loooong season....

Chapter 11

The FA dismissed our appeal against Gregan's 1 match ban and he'll be missing for the Leicester game, Butler looking most likely to start with Soley at the heart of the Leeds defence with Kilgallon moving into the left back position. Carlos Bocanegra returned to full training but i doubt he'll be back in time for the Leicester game and Liverpool accepted our offer for Carson, hopefuly the lad will want to come home for a visit. The days passed and Carson look his time, ungreatful little tw*t. And as sunday came round it was a case of make do. Mark Wilberforce looked set to make his debut.

Leicester 3-0 Leeds: Wilberfoce did start and try as he might he was just out of his depth, Horsefield returned as did Bocanegra at left back. Chris is going to have the bragging rights in the Warner house for a while. 20 yard free kick found the top corner 2 mins in. We were being over run really, the whole team just didn't want to know and it wasn't making it easy on the young lad in goal. Hammond smashed home a brace and could have had more. Hume went off injured after Whelan dropped him with an elbow to the face...i feel his frustration. Oh did i mention that this is just the first half action? The second half we were alot better, we hussled Leicester for the entire half, only Rab Douglas kept us out, Warner and Horsefield proved a hand full and Leven also caused problems when he came off the subs bench. About half way through though, i was left thinking "Are we cursed?...does god hate us? or are the other 23 teams in this league plotting against the goal keepers of Leeds United?" Wilberforce was stretchered off, Butler came into replace him. We kept up the pressure for the rest of the match. Douglas stopped us possibly getting a point.

To rub our faces in it, Carson finally decides that he has no intention of coming back. He better not run into any Leeds fans cause they'll rip him apart. Just when the team who gave him his big break needed help, he turns his back. We have just 1 goalkeeper left, Jonathan Lund, 17 years old, hardly out a nappy's in football terms. We sit 6th in the league but it could get so much worse. Next up is Northampton at home, league cup tie so it doesn't matter too much and may buy us some time to sort out a short term replacement in goal. Bocanegra's return was a short one, twisted knee in training means he's out for at least 2 weeks, what the hell is in the water at Elland Road?

Chapter 12

So here we are. No goalkeepers, no natural left sided defenders and...were dropping like an anorexic womans dress size. We started so well but we have just 1 point from a possible 9 over our last 3 games. A win is needed badly to boost the confidence and get us back on track. Maybe we should send our players out in a full suit of armor each, maybe they won't get bloody injured then! No less than 4 loan offers were faxed out in search of a goal keeper, Kasper Schmeichel being one on the list. Hopefuly at least one will decide they want some first team football and high tail it down here. We'll have to wait and see, i doubt were going to get someone in before the Northampton game, but prove me wrong guys...prove me wrong.

Ok, so i was right but i wish i wasn't.

Leeds 4-0 Northampton: Jonathan Lund started in goal for this one. Gregan returned from his ban while Kilgallon slots into the left back spot. As for the match...wow. We were back to our old selves it seems. Slick, fast, one touch football, making life very difficult for the visitors all in all. Horsefield opened the scoring as he likes to with a well placed finish, slotting home from the angle. Warner doubled it 10mins later, Horsefield turning provider as Warner gets his 14th goal this season. A minute later Horsefield provides for Warner again, this time a cross which the 22 year old nods home to make it 3-0. They looked pleased with themselves but they really have to behave, one conceded goal could set things in motion for the away side. They trotted out into a chilly september night air for the second half and things got worse....for the visitors. Doig dragged down Warner, straight red and from the resulting free kick Lewis got his first for the club. Looping ball to the back post saw Lewis steal in and tap home on 54mins. Great goal. We dominated throughout, Warner looking for his hat trick. He was subbed for Hulse about 20mins in, Leven also came on for Walton. The rest of the half followed the same format of us ripping them apart with smooth, slick and quick football. Blake got the 5th with a powerful finish from close range. Keeper got a touch but it wasn't enough to stop it going in. Dyche was sent off with 5mins to go, we broke quickly with Horsefield and Dyche hacked him down. He was the last man, i could see the red card a mile away. Northampton down to 9 men but we didn't increase the lead and Blake came off injured with a minute to go, that was the only bad news of an otherwise great night. Finished 5-0, first clean sheet in a while and good to see we still know how to win. Lund man of the match. (dunno why, he didn't even have a save to make!)

I found out the morning after that Blake was out for at upto 3 weeks with a damaged elbow. Nasty but we'll have to deal with it, we have so far...to an extent. Oh and all our loan offers but one were accepted. I'll print up some names if we manage to sign one of em, Schmeicel was the offer that wasn't excepted. Young Hotchkiss suffered a broken ankle in training and will be out for at least a couple of months, poor lad but life goes on...

Chapter 13

One of the keepers in our loan search turned down the deal. Arse. But still got 2 left, maybe we'll get lucky and someone will take pity on us...or Sulivan will get better. Either one will do. A quick glance at the fixture list showed me that our next task was against Millwall at home. A win is paramount as Batty said after the Northampton game and he's right. A win could get us right back on track for the season, a loss and our promotion hopes take another big knock. A day later and the other two turn us down and it's looking like the same old crap. It amazes me, half these keepers whine and cry about not playing first team football, here they have a chance to get some and they turn it down...why...are they off their meds or something? I give up trying to figure them out really.

Batty voiced his frustrations again in a interview with the mirror. Looks like Lund will be making his debut against Millwall. Let me give you all a little run down of the lad. He's 16 years old, 5'8ft tall, joined last year on a youth contract but been part of the teams youth set up since he was a young lad. He's lucky in a way, i doubt he'd make a debut if it wasn't for all these injuries. The 3rd round draw for the league cup came round and we drew Watford away. Already beaten them once this season so beating them again may not be to big of a task, as long as we manage to get an established keeper between the sticks.

Leeds 10-0 Millwall: A half fit Neil Sulivan returns with Wilberforce on the bench, Richardson comes in on the right wing for the injured Blake. No other changes to speak of as i took my seat, drinking my tea. Still nice and warm around. I managed to blag a ticket for the missus for this one, i normally sit with my dad and brothers, but my brothers are away working so my girlfriend and mum took their places. More than likely they'll be talking about eastenders and corro rather than if we can clinch promotion. It didn't take long to answer that question though, Richardson turns and crosses, Walton powers a header home from 6 yards. The crowd go mental, 4 mins in and were ahead. We'd hardly settled into our seat before we were standing and cheering again. Walton again, only this time he decided to score from 30 yards. An absolute jackhammer of a drive to make it 2-0. 7mins later, Warner latched onto Horsfields (just realised i was spelling it wrong) cleaver ball and smashed into the roof of the net from 18 yards out, 3-0. What a difference a keeper makes eh? Horsfield made it 4-0 soon after. Warner split his head open getting to this ball and Horsfield made it count. Warners header found Horsfield in the area and he slotted home from the tightest of angles. A bit of vasaline and some water and Warner was back out there. Horsfield got his first hat trick before half time. One was a big header from a Richardson cross and the other was a shot across the keeper which he couldn't stop. Kilgallon released him down the left and he found enough time and space to pick his place and drive home, 6-0. The half time whistle came and we went for some snacks and a cig, me and my dad talking over the finer points of the half, as you do. When we returned the teams did also, one looking scared as hell, the other laughing and joking with each other, do i need to name them? It didn't take long for Millwall to show themselves up more, the absolutly useless Vanderjeugt got himself sent off. Horsefield just got to a loose ball and was brought down. Straight red and a penalty which Matt Warner lashed home. Still not done though. Not to be out done by Horsfield Warner broke free down the left, beat the last defender and rocketed home a shot from the angle. Most of the stand didn't even bother to sit down, we just stood there singing, waiting for another and we weren't disappointed. Lewis got onto Waltons cheeky pass and dinked it into the area. Replacement keeper Marshall looked to have it but under no pressure just fumbled it right to Matt Warner's feet and he gladly tapped home his 4th of the afternoon. Soon after he and the fantastic Walton were replaced by Hulse and Whelan. We struggled to put the ball in the net again for a while, took us half hour but we finally found our 10th of the afternoon. A short throw to Lewis with a minute to go released him and he crossed to the back post where Rob Hulse finally got off the mark for the season with a looping headed into the far corner for 10. Batty was ecstatic, the fans were in raptures. Final whistle blew and nothing could wipe the smile off my face, even the missus having a go for staying out till 4am drinking with my dad. Warner man of the match.

The morning after the back page was filled with Warner mania. He's been an absolute revalation for us this season, 12 starts has brought him a whopping 19 goals. When asked on goals on sunday if a big move was beckoning for the lad, Batty gave the answer us Leeds fans were looking for.

"He's an amazing player, so much pace and drive. I've told the chairman that i want him at Leeds for a long time to come and he's gave me full backing in that. We turned down £15m from Chelsea for him in the summer and that has only made me more confident. I have no doubt that he can do it at the highest level, but i want him doing it for Leeds at that level. He's been an absolute star and alot i put down to the help of Geoff Horsfield, he's worked alot with him and those two have become good friends in the short time the Horse has been here, now they look unstopable. 10 games together has yielded 29 goals in all competitions so don't write off promotion just yet when we have a strike force like that."

Great!

Chapter 14

Healy and Sulivan resumed full training ahead of our home game against Stoke City. Sulivan will definatly start but Healy will more than likely be left out to fully regain his fitness. Could take a couple of weeks but i'm confident we'll see him make his first start of the season soon to take some of the pressure off Horsfield and Warner.

Leeds 2-0 Stoke: Einarsson comes in for Richardson on the right of midfield, thats the only change to the team which took Millwall apart last saturday. I again settled into my seat, my brothers cursing their luck for having to miss our last game but thats life, and they'll have seen the goals by now. Anyway, back to match. We fell into the same pattern of dominating, Simonsen in the Stoke goal was pulling off save after save throughout the first half. The closest we came was through Warner. He latched onto Horsfield's header down and shot, the ball clipping the outside of the post just before half time. Stoke had one chance and missed it, but only just. The second half started alot quicker. Douglas drove through the midfield before passing to Horsfield on the left, his cheeky flick found Warner who volleyed home at the near post for his 20th of the season. A few minutes later we got another. Again Douglas provided the pass which Warner ran onto, his low drive was saved by Simonsen but sprang right back where it came, only this time Horsfield was there to lash home to make it 2-0. We chased them ever more, Hulse and Whelan came on to help. Neither could get a 3rd. Horsfield came closest when his looping header hit the cross bar before being cleared. That was it though, 3 points against a fellow promotion contender. Lewis man of the match.

We moved up into 4th thanks to that win, which was very hard fought. Not because they pinned us back, but because we struggled to find the net a little. Can't have any of that on saturday as we travel to 2nd place Reading knowing a win could rectify that blip we had a few games back and get us back into the automatic promotion spaces. We trail 1st place Palace by 4 points so it's not impossible by any means.

It's the end of the month again which means 2 things. I get paid and the monthly player awards. Horsfield wins the player of the month gong once again with Lewis in 2nd place. Kilgallon wins young player, Walton in second. Nothing worth mentioning in the manager awards part. Here's the run down of the league and top scorer charts,

(played) (won) (drawn) (lost) (for) (against) (points)

1. Crystal Palace (11) (8) (3) (0) (30) (13) 27pts

2. Reading (11) (7) (2) (2) (23) (11) 23pts

3. Southampton (11) (7) (2) (2) (20) (12) 23pts

4. Leeds Utd (11) (7) (1) (3) (33) (12) 22pts

5. Wolves (11) (7) (0) (4) (21) (13) 21pts

6. Burnley (11) (6) (3) (2) (16) (16) 21pts

Scorers chart

1. Matt Warner (Leeds Utd) 16 goals

2. Geoff Horfield (Leeds Utd) 13 goals

3. Dave Kitson (Reading) 11 goals

4. Jon Macken (Crystal Palace) 9 goals

5. Andy Johnson (Crystal Palace) 8 goals

Horsfield and Warner still topping the charts scoring wise and i doubt they'll be caught.

Chapter 15

Reading 4-5 Leeds: Unchanged squad but Healy comes onto the bench in place of Hulse. More than likely to make a 10-15 minute cameo. We started things as usual, with a bang. Douglas moved the ball forward before releasing Warner who shot first time, the keeper got a paw to it but it wasn't enough and we had the early lead. And it was doubled almost from the restart. A deep cross from Lewis on the left found Einarsson who nodded to the edge of the area where Warner volleyed into the top corner. However, we knew it was going to be tough and Reading proved that. A defensive lapse by Kelly let Kitson through who's shot trickled through Sulivans hands into the goal to make it 2-1. About 20mins later Horsfield scored a weird goal. Einarsson found space on the right to cross, Horsfield met with a headed which was pushed out, only the ball crashed off his face and into the goal. And it didn't take long for him to double his tally. A throw in gifted him the ball near the corner flag and what looked like a cross curled sweetly, crashing off the post and in, excellent goal. Reading got another one back just before half time, Harper skinned Gregan before smashing low across Sulivan. I wish i could say the action stopped there but when Matt Warner is on the field, it rarely does. Walton's through ball down the centre found Warner who skipped away from the defender, dropped his shoulder and rounded the keeper before slotting home with ease. 5-2 and the whistle finally blew on a goal filled first half. The second half was just as entertaining, Warner, Douglas and Einarsson made way for Healy, Whelan and Richardson about 10mins into the half. It was end to end again but the first goal went in at the other end, Leroy Lita found himself with the ball after we failed to clear and his shot found the net. It could have been worse, we didn't have any major chances. Healy's shot hit the inside of the post and rolled across the line before Shorey cleared the danger. With the dying seconds upon us Littles long ball to the corner was picked up by Kilgallon who passed across his own 18 yard box to Soley, he mis-controlled and Kevin Doyle took his chance, smashing it past an unprepared Sulivan. We won the game, but our defensive quality has to be questioned, at times it was a farce and only luck or the brilliant Neil Sulivan saved us. What a game for the neutrals though. Warner man of the match.

Again the papers were ram packed with Matt Warner. I seriously haven't seen hype like this since Wayne Rooney, people are saying that the lad may stand a chance of making it into the world cup squad next summer. Liverpool, Chelsea, Charlton and Spurs are all after him, should he move in the january transfer window he'll get into the England squad for sure i reckon, but staying at Leeds until the end of next season at least can't be all that bad. All i know is i'll be looking for Sven in the upper levels when i'm down at Elland Road. But that won't be for a while as we've got a 2 week break for the international fixtures, which will be welcome i'm sure. In the mean time Leeds made an offer for Michael Nnaji around the £170k mark. I don't know much about him but i'm sure i'll find out more should we become successful in the bid.

Well, it's been a few days but not much to inform you of. Kilgallon's good form has seen him called upto the England U21's while our bid for Nnaji was accepted, he rejected terms so nothing will come of that. Steve Stone started some light training along with Bennett, Jarvis and Bocanegra while Blake resumed full training after his injury lay out, he should be full fit for the visit of Brighton in a week or so's time.

Chapter 16

Shaun Derry came out in the press saying he wasn't happy with the lack of football he was getting but was happy with Batty's responce that if he worked harder in training he'd get his chance. Gonna pop down to Thorpe Arch to watch training next week, got a few days off so the missus will have to wait for Ikea, i wanna see how the lads are doing. Other than all that, again quiet. No transfer news, all our players are back in training so hopefuly we'll really be able to start pushing for that automatic promotion place and maybe chasing down Palace at the top, who are ahead by 5 points. Oh, i know what i can do, report on the premier league. 8 games in and Chelsea are top by 3 points, Arsenal are in 2nd with Liverpool and Bolton 3rd and 4th respectivly. Man Utd find themselves in 18th with just 7 points from 8 games (yeah i'm enjoying it alot) Wigan, Sunderland and West Ham are all in the top half, 10th, 9th and 5th. Crespo, Baros, Gudjonsson, Cisse, Kevin Davis and James Beattie all top the scoring charts with 6.

England got a decent win under their belts as they won 3-0 against Austria. Owen, Lampard and Gerrard scored the goals. Still very much in for that automatic world cup place as long as we don't have any screw up's. Hulse has been ruled out for upto 3 weeks with a viral infection but Ryan Jarvis and Carlos Bocanegra both resumed full training and look to be fit in the next week or so. Can't see em playing any part against Brighton but i don't pick the team so who knows what will happen, but i expect to see em in the near future. In Englands other match they managed to beat Poland 4-2 with Wayne Rooney getting a hat trick, Shaun Wright-Phillips got the other goal of the game, the win secures Englands passage through to the 2006 world cup finals.

Back on the domestic scene though our match with Brighton has been re-arranged for November so now we'll play Hull on tuesday giving the lad 3 extra days of rest. We'll have a game in hand over most of the league for a while so it's time to knuckle down and make sure when it comes to cash in, were in a position where it's going to be useful in our promotion plans.

Hull City Vs Leeds Utd, Championship: A couple of changes to mention. Butler comes in for Soley while Derry is given a chance in the centre ahead of Douglas and Blake returned to his familar right wing position. There i sat with a cup of tea, watching the sports centre with Jeff Stelling and the boys. We kicked off but it was Hull who were applying the early pressure, forcing Sulivan into a couple of good saves. However the deadlock didn't last as long as it should. Barmby found space on the left and his cross was met by the glancing head of Hotte before hitting the back of the net. After that, things slowly turned in our favour, we got alot more of the ball and created some half decent chances. It didn't last long though, Horsfield came off with injury, David Healy replacing him and what a replacement. On the stroke of half time Warner found space down the right before crossing to the edge of the 18 yard box. Healy took the ball on his chest and lashed home a fantastic volley to even it up, his first of the season and a welcome sight. After the interval we came out alot quicker. Straight from the kick off A ball down the right was played straight into Healy diaganol run and he leathered the ball into the top corner from 16 yards out. We had the lead. It didn't last however, Hull fought back almost straight away. Lynches long looping cross found Hammel at the back post who powered a header past Sulivan at his near post. From what Kammy was saying, Batty was going balistic on the side-lines. He was about to hit the roof though. We fought hard looking for the lead again but we couldn't get it, Healy was our most inventive player all day, though Lewis had his moments. Then, with around 10mins left that moment struck. Butler dragged Hammel down and conceded a stupid penalaty with subsitute McPhee scored with ease to give Hull the lead. We had a couple of chances but in the end we just couldn't convert them. Healy man of the match.

F/T: Hull City 3-2 Leeds Utd.

However, the bookie's are starting to turn in our favour now. Reading in a national news paper people are starting to come around and suspect that our good form maybe isn't just early season luck and that we can mount a promotion challenge. Now for the bad news, Matt Warner picked up an injury during the Hull game and will be missing for anything upto 2 weeks. A big loss, but no word on Horsfield so maybe he just picked up a bit of a knock. With Healy returning and finding the net he will be leading the line with Horsfield should he be fit to play. Hulse is out with a virus. It also means that Ryan Jarvis and Lee Bernard could make apperences in the absence of Warner and Hulse.

In the champions league, Everton lost 1-0 to Barcelona at the Nou Camp, Liverpool were beaten 3-1 away to Juventus while Chelsea beat Real Madrid 2-0, Ronaldo punishing his former club with the opener. It was a good game. Man Utd won and Arsenal drew. Only mentioned the others cause they had some interest to them.

Chapter 17

Preston NE Vs Leeds Utd, Chapionship: A few changes this time round. Bennett returns in place of Sulivan, Douglas starts ahead of Derry with Whelan on the bench. Healy Replaces the Injured Warner. Kilgallon slots into the centre to replace Butler and Bocanegra starts at left back. As we've been doing for most of the season, we flew out of the blocks. Healy found some space at the byline to cross, they're keeper fumbled it out where Douglas lashed into the bottom corner after 4 mins. We kept the pressure on and doubled the lead not long after. A long ball forward from Gregan found the head of Horsfield who nodded down into the middle just outside the area where Lewis thrashed home a fantastic effort which rattled into the top corner to make it 2-0. Preston came back into it a little but Benett was largely untroubled. Half hour in and we got ourselves another. Healy's cheeky shot was parried out and Douglas again was quickest to it, firing through the crowd of defenders to make it 3-0. Our football was quick and slick, the home side didn't really have an answer to it and it showed as a minute later Horsfield found space in the 18 yard box thanks largely to Walton's pass and he placed the ball into the bottom corner on 33mins. The goal mouth action died down a little until the brink of half time. Lewis's cross wasn't cleared and Blake found space to shoot, it took a slight deflection off Quinn but found it's way past the keepers near post and it was 5-0. The teams returned after the break and followed the same pattern. Preston had a few more chances but nothing really meaningful. With around 20mins left Batty rang in the changes, Healy, Blake and Bocanegra all made way, Bernard, Richardson and Nyatanga coming in. They all worked hard but found it difficult to get into the fast paced game. We managed to add a 6th just before full time. Kelly sent a ball down the wing which Bernard chased down before crossing at the byline, Horsfield controlled and tucked it into the bottom corner to make it 6-0 and another 3 points. No injuries to speak of and we looked alot more solid with Kilgallon and Gregan at the back. Despite having nothing to do, Bennett was named as man of the match.

F/T: Preston NE 0-6 Leeds Utd

I decided later that day that i'd been neglecting the girlfriend for a little while and decided to take her out for a night on the town. We got dressed up, headed out and had a good time, but half way through i noticed a familar face at the bar in the club. It was only Matt Warner, the lad who'd been single handedly destroying whole defences in the championship this season. I mustered up the courage and went over. I was very suprised at how nice a guy he was. I asked him why he wasn't playing and he pointed out his stiches on his cheek saying "It's a crappy injury but the physio won't let me play until it's healed." He bought me and the missus a round of drinks, shook my hand and went off about his business, i'd have asked for his autograph if i'd of had a pen and some paper on me.

The next day i looked over the morning papers and found that Reading had beaten Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park 3-2. With us winning it meant we were very much back in the hunt and maybe, just maybe the cracks were starting to emerge in Palaces solid back line. Our next game was going to be in the league cup, away to Watford. I'd wanted some big premiership team in this round but another win could see my wish granted. Our football was so smooth and fast, it was poetry in motion at times and i was eager for Batty's boys to pit they're skills against one of the big boys.

Chapter 18

Watford Vs Leeds Utd, League Cup 3rd round: (gonna start doing the games differently) Starting line up stayed the same, only Whelan and Nyalanga coming out due to being cup tied, they're replaced by Leven and Soley on the bench. We had a tough old game with Watford last time round and i was expecting the same again but i was partly wrong. We opened the scoring quickly through Healy. Blake got free of his marker on the right and crossed low and hard for Healy who just directed it into the top corner. Didn't all go our way though. Walton conceded a dumb free kick 25 yard out and former Leeds lad Spring stepped up and dispatched a beauty of a shot into the top corner leaving Bennett stood static on 11mins. The wall didn't look good. Didn't take too long to regain the lead. Healy again getting free for his forth of the season, this time nodding home Lewis' perfectly placed cross and it was soon 3-1, Horsfield timed his run perfectly onto Healy's flick and buried it at the near post. Half time was beckoning but we found time for another, Horfield again. This time Walton released Healy who managed to stay onside, he tried to dink it over the advancing Foster but he got a touch which Horsfield converted via a slide. Half time and ahead by 3, all good. However we didn't start as we had left off. Bocanegra under no pressure at all looked for Kilgallon with a pass which was intercepted by Henderson who tucked it away almost right after the restart. Things got worse 20mins later. Again, we failed to clear the ball properly, Kilgallons botched effort was hoofed back into the area by chambers, Marlon King got ahead of Bennett and headed home into the empty net. Now 4-3 and we looked in trouble. We tried our best to get our grip on the game back but never really found it. We got a dubious penalty with 10mins left but Blake fired down the middle and it was saved before Soley thrashed the rebound over the bar. We came under alot of pressure after that but we finally put the game to bed in the last minute. Watford caught out when their clearence came right back, Healy knocked it left where both Lewis and Horsfield were unmarked, Lewis took his time and drilled into the bottom corner to put us through. Exciting match but too many errors to make it great for us. Healy was named as man of the match.

F/T: Watford 3-5 Leeds Utd.

Holders Chelsea went out to Psycho's Man City 1-0 but Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd went through, one of those would do for the next round but as i found out, i was foiled again. We drew Ipswich away, another win and were into the quarter finals and maybe, a step closer to a final in Cardiff...who knows. David Batty's loan bid for Bolton striker Ricardo Vaz Te was turned down and Robert Green was again whining about moving to a bigger club. Maybe one on the short list should we get promoted. Hulse returned to light training. Anyway, next up for us were newly promoted Luton Town at home. They'd been doing alright but i wanted to see nothing but victory.

Leeds Utd Vs Luton Town, Championship: Whelan came in for Walton who was being rested and Nyatanga returned to the bench. Warner started on the bench ahead of Bernard. We kicked off and started quickly. The Luton keeper had plenty to do, we rattled the cross bar twice and the pressure was unrelenting for long periods before we got the breakthrough on 24mins. Horsfield found space at the back post and tapped home Blakes drive across the area. He looked to have doubled the lead when he broke away from his defender to slot home but it was ruled offside. The half time whistle blew and we led 1-0. The second half was much the same, we pressured them for long drawn out periods and things got alot harder for Luton when Coyne hit out at Healy and got his marching orders with half hour to go. We didn't make use of it, despite trying to again and again. The game ended 1-0 and it was another 3 points for us. Upto 3rd place and next up, Crystal Palace at home. Lewis was named man of the match.

F/T: Leeds Utd 1-0 Luton Town.

Chapter 19

As i said, Palace at home. Our biggest game of the season so far. They had a 5 point lead at the top but we could cut that down if our strike force got it right. Warner looks set to return after injury and it will definatly be a battle of the leagues best strikers. Horsfield and Warner Vs Macken and Johnson. Me and my brothers talked about it in great detail every day leading upto the game.

Leeds Utd Vs Crystal Palace, Championship: (Starting line up) Bennett, Bocanrgra, Kilgallon, Gregan©, Kelly, Lewis, Whelan, Walton, Blake, Horsfield, Warner. (Subs bench) Sulivan, Nytanga, Richardson, Douglas and Healy.

Full strength squad for us with Warner returning to link up with Horsfield. I took my seat, a mixture of excitement and unease. This could make or break our title challenge. The teams strode out into the chilly November air, the stadium was packed. It was a daunting place to come by Dowie looked ready for anything as he shook hands with David Batty. Freedman replaced Johnson up front much to the joy of us Leeds fans as we knew he was lethal. The ref started the game and Palace started the better possession wise but not creating anything clear cut, we came into the game gradually and soon we were dominating. Warner and Horsfield both coming close. Warner hit the side netting and Horsfield forced saves from the Palace keeper. Kilgallon was marking Macken out of the game and Freedman didn't get much of the ball thanks to our captain Sean Gregan. We kept at them for a while before finally, we got the breakthrough. Warner skipped away from his man and into the area, his low shot was parried out by Kiraly. Reich picked up the ball but Whelan refused to let the move die, tackling him on the edge of the 6 yard box. The ball sprang loose and Horsfield netted from 3 yards out. 1-0 and we were loving it. The last few moments of the half followed the same pattern. Warner came close with a 20 yard snap shot with shaved the outside of the post before Palace got their first meaningful chance. Freedman got away from Gregan of the edge of the area and his first time shot trickled just wide. The ref blew for half time and the teams trotted off, we were much the better but the scoreline didn't do us justice.

We started the second half as we finished the first and a goal was our reward. Lewis' defelcted cross eluded Kiraly and Blake slid in at the back post to make it 2-0. We were going mental and with just cause because we'd just been told that Plymouth were ahead against Southampton. We carried on where we left off, pressing Palace every chance we got, Warner forced a save from Kiraly with a good free kick before coming off for Healy 15mins into the second half. From there we just coasted. Kilgallon and Gregan were faultless at the back and Walton ran the midfield like he'd been doing it for years. The final whistle blew and we appluded the excellent effort of our boys for a good 10mins before finally heading home. Lewis was named man of the match.

F/T: Leeds Utd 2-0 Crystal Palace

On the same night Chelsea lost 1-0 to Real Madrid in the champions league. The following morning the sports pages spoke of Kilgallon wanting to move to a bigger club however in the same article Batty played it all down saying he wants Kilgallon to stay and fulfill his ambitions at Leeds Utd. Some big teams have been after him over the past few weeks (Liverpool and Arsenal to name but a few) and with his performance last night i'm not suprised at all. He was astounding really, not a foot wrong and kept Macken, one of the leagues best strikers, quiet as a church mouse. It was also time for the monthly player gongs to be handed out, Walton was named young player of the month and Lewis picked up player of the month for his outstanding performances over the past 30 days. Here's how the tables look.

(pld) (W) (D) (L) (F) (A) (Pts)

1. Southampton (17) (12) (3) (2) (33) (17) 39pts

2. Crystal Palace (17) (11) (3) (3) (40) (22) 36pts

3. Leeds United (16) (11) (1) (4) (49) (19) 34pts

4. Norwich City (17) (10) (3) (4) (25) (10) 33pts

5. Cardiff City (17) (9) (3) (5) (37) (24) 30pts

6. Reading (16) (9) (3) (4) (32) (19) 30pts

The scoring charts looked like this...

1. Geoff Horsfield (Leeds Utd) 19 goals

2. Matt Warner (Leeds Utd) 19 goals

3. Jon Macken (C Palace) 13 goals

4. Dave Kitson (Reading) 13 goals

5. Danny Webber (Sheff Utd) 12 goals

Things remained much the same in the premiership, Arsenal were level on Points with Chelsea at the top of the table, Liverpool lay in 3rd trailing by 2 points and Bolton carried on defying the critics by holding onto 4th. Man Utd lay in 11th after a really poor run and Newcastle, Blackburn and Fulham occupied the relegation places.

Chapter 20

Our team was beginning to get alot stronger, Dan Harding resumed full training after a 2 month lay out and would be looking to reclaim his left back position as quickly as possible. Bocanegra has been filling in quite well, allowing Kilgallon to move back into his prefered central defensive position. Stone also returned to full training and declared in an interview that he was delighted with our league form. As he should be, we were flying high, the underdogs doing the business but can't count our chickens just yet, were not even half way through the season. Our next game was to be against Coventry away.

Coventry City Vs Leeds Utd, Championship: (Starting Line-up) Bennett, Bocanegra, Kilgallon, Gregan, Kelly, Jarvis, Whelan, Walton, Blake, Horsfield, Warner. (Subs) Sulivan, Nyatanga, Richardson, Douglas, Healy.

It was a half filled Rioch Arena but i doubt it bothered any of the players. The start was very even, both sides having chances, nothing clear cut though. We slowly took charge of the situation and it didn't take long for Coventry to buckle under the pressure. The opening goal was a strange one to say the least. Duffy played the ball back to Bywater in the Coventry goal who tried to trick his way past Warner, he was wise to it and found himself with an open goal, never going to miss and we took the lead, his first goal in a while. Coventry, not to be outdone almost equalised, Scowcroft's pass found Stern John 6 yards out and unmarked but Bennett pulled off a fantastic save to keep us ahead. Towards the end of the half we firmly took control. Walton jinxed past 2 defenders before lacing a super pass into the path of Horsfield, his first time shot was saved but the rebound fell to an unmarked Warner who netted his 25th of the season. Whelan added a 3rd just before the interval, Jarvis latched onto Horsfield's pass on the left and whipped in a low cross which found Whelan ahead of his man and he lashed home at the near post to make it 3-0. Coventry started the second half much the better and got their reward 10mins into it, Mcsheffrey drew away Walton and Gregan before slipping the ball to McManaman who let loose with a crashing 30 yard dive leaving Bennett helpless to stop it. They had a goal back and it could have been 2 soon after, McManaman finding space again to let rip with another drive but this time Bennett was equal to it. Warner took a bit of a knock and was replaced by Healy and soon after Douglas came on for our other goal scorer Whelan. The rest of the half was pretty much bogged down in the midfield. We broke a couple of times but made nothing of it. Last real chance came for Coventry, McSheffrey again getting free to rocket an effort towards the bottom corner but again Bennett made a brilliant save and with that the game ended, another good result and another 3 points. Bennett was named man of the match.

F/T: Coventry City 1-3 Leeds Utd.

With that win we moved upto second and the hunt was very much on as we now looked to track down Southampton and it was also our 4th win on the trot. Whelan picked up his 5th booking of the season and will serve a 1 match ban. Disappointing as he's really started to come into his own of late and is showing how good of a central midfielder he can be. Looks very at home with Walton in the centre, maybe those 2 will be partnered in there for many years to come. The confidence of the team was building stronger and stronger with each match and the young players were thriving. Walton was bossing the midfield every chance he got and his passing is showing signs of becoming Beckham quality. Kilgallon was an imovable object more often than not, quick, strong and excellent in the tackle. Don't need to say much about Warner as his goal record said it all, future England striker for sure.

Just before the Brighton game though, Einarsson complained about the lack of first team football to which Batty's words were simple "Impress me in training and you'll play, simple as." Never one to mince his words and thats what we liked. People were starting to sit up and take notice of Batty now, he looked like becoming a great manager. Despite being a defensive midfielder by trade while a player, he had Leeds playing some sublime attacking football with a flair and invention that most teams in this league and some in the above could only dream about. Also, Nyatanga and Whelan were called up to play for the Wales and Republic of Ireland U21 sides respectivly. Healy (N. Ireland), Lewis, Bocanegra (Both USA), Einarsson (Iceland) and Douglas (Rep. Ireland) were all called up to play for their countries in the next set of International games.

Chapter 21

Next up for us was the visit of Brighton. This would be our game in hand over the other teams around us so a win would be very important for us.

Leeds Utd Vs Brighton and Hove Albion, Championship: (Starting Line-Up) Bennett, Bocanegra, Kilgallon, Gregan©, Kelly, Lewis, Derry, Walton, Stone, Horsfield, Healy. (Subs) Sulivan, Harding, Richardson, Blake, Hulse.

The game started and it was a slow start for both sides. Nothing cast iron chance wise. Healy shaved the post with a cheeky dink and Knights drive at the other end just glanced over the cross bar. It took around 20mins for the first real chance to come and it came to us, Derry's free kick forcing a good save before Lewis's cross a few mins later was fumbled by Ward onto the head of Healy who knocked home his 5th of the season to give us the lead. From there we tightened our grip on the game and looked to double the lead. Lewis was causing problems down the left again and again before cutting inside to shoot. He was fouled and we had a free kick. With Lewis hovering over it he stepped up but instead knocked it left to Derry who curled in an absolute peach into the top corner just before half time. 2 goals to the good and half time upon us. Both teams moved down the tunnel and out of sight as i went for a burger. The second half started with a bang, only at the wrong end. Winter found space on the edge of the area to let go with a lethal drive into the top corner to put Brighton right back in it. Stone soon made his way off for Blake and the rewards were instant. He won the ball back in his own area before making a 60 yard pass into the path of Healy who poked a low drive under Ward from 12 yards to give us back our 2 goal lead back. We got more and more bold in our attacking play, Ward being very over-worked in the Brighton goal, pulling off great saves to deny Derry, Lewis and Gregan. But it didn't last long, Healy broke away down the right before being felled by Dublin. The ref pointed to the spot and it was to be Blake who would take it. He stepped up and leathered it towards goal, Ward got a hand to it but it still found it's way in to make it 4-1. After that the game died a little, Bright had chances with Knight and Winter but nothing to make Bennett worry. The whistle blew and we got the points, now just 2 behind Southampton and 4 ahead of Palace. Lewis was named man of the match.

F/T: Leeds Utd 4-1 Brighton and Hove Albion.

Later in the week Whelan got on the scoresheet for the Rep. Ireland U21's as they beat Kuwait U21's 4-0 and Simon Walton got a call up to the England U19's while Harding and Kilgallon were called up to play for the England U21's. We were into the last international break of the year with Lewis, Bocanegra, Einarsson and Healy all playing for their countries ahead of our game against Ipswich in the league so they may be rested for that. We'd play Ipswich twice in the space of around a week as we had our League cup 4th round show down with them coming up after our next game, a televised match against Yorkshire rivals Sheffield Utd, but right now the team had a chance to rest and prepare properly for the long and hectic Christmas period. I looked at the league table over the weekend and discovered a few things. First being, we were one of just three teams to be unbeaten at home, winning 8 and drawing 1 and, we'd conceded just 3. Elland Road was becoming a fortress. Our away record wasn't as good, 4th best in the league but that was nothing to be sniffed at. Stuart Pearce became the first manager to get the boot after a poor start to the season with Man City, the papers speculated on who would be his successor with Claudio Ranieri being penned as favourite for the job. Other names in the mix Included Matthias Sammer and Javier Clemente.

England drew 0-0 with Argentina in their friendly, it was a rather drab affair but i suppose had it been in the world cup, a draw would have been welcome. What wasn't welcome though was David Healy coming out saying he wants to move to a bigger club. He stated his ambitions would never be fulfilled at Leeds and a move to a bigger team was what he wanted. It was a shock to me and most of the Leeds support. I don't know how Batty will react but since he's been here, he hasn't taken well to people airing their dirty laundry in the media and i'm sure a few stern words will be had before too long.

Chapter 22

Finally it was time for our next game, it would be 2nd Vs 23rd and a prequel to our 4th round league cup tie in a little over a weeks time. We were missing both Harding and Kilgallon for this game so i waited to see who'd replace 'Killa' in the centre of defence.

Leeds Utd Vs Ipswich Town, Championship: (Starting Line-up) Bennett, Bocanegra, Soley, Gregan©, Kelly, Lewis, Douglas, Walton, Blake, Horsfield, Warner (Subs) Sulivan, Nyatanga, Richardson, Whelan, Hulse.

I settled into my seat as usual, my brothers and dad joined me soon after as the teams trotted out into the cold November air. The starting line up was announced and i wasn't too suprised at the absence of David Healy in the squad. They kicked off but the way they lost the ball showed why they could be in league 2 next season. Only took 8min for us to break the deadlock. Lewis zipped in a cross from the right and Warner rose like a salmon to head home and soon after he added another and what a goal it was. Lewis lofted a long pass from the halfway line and Warner perfectly controlled a first time volley/chip over the keeper and into the goal. Beautiful to see but the lads seemed to want to out do each other. 20mins into the game we had a throw which Bocanegra sent long. Blake got ahead of his marker and hit an overhead kick from a very tight angle, it looped over the static keeper and off the post for 3-0 already. 10mins later we had another, not as impressive as the last 2 but they all count. Warner dinked a 20 yard free kick over the wall and Horsfield managed to get a header on it to get his 25th goal of the season. We kept up the unrelenting pressure, only an effort from Bowditch managed to trouble us before Douglas played a ball ahead of Lewis to chase and his low cross was met by the boot of Douglas at the near post to make it 5-0 and just before the half time whistle we managed to find another one, Lewis again providing with an early cross which Warner volleyed in brilliantly at the near post, a truly great goal. The whistle did blow and not a second too soon for Ipswich who looked like they wanted to be swallowed by the earth at they went into the tunnel. They returned shortly after and the second half kicked off much as the first one finished, with a goal. Douglas found Horsfield wide on the left and his cross was met with another first time volley from Warner which rocketed into the goal. We kept Ipswich quiet, pretty much just toying with them until Kelly relased a long ball for Warner to chase down the right wing, he brought the ball under control and cross low and hard where Horsfield's foot glanced it into the bottom corner. The match died down slightly after that but not for too long, Douglas won a free kick on the left side edge of the area, Warner stepped up and delivered the perfect free kick into the near corner. Another great goal and 9-0 now. Changes were made shortly after, Horsfield coming off for Hulse and Walton making way for Whelan. My brothers were happy having missed the spanking of Millwall a few weeks back and looked like kids on christmas. Blake managed to keep the ball in with a cross after Waltons long ball into the corner. Warner helped it on and Hulse tapped the ball home to make it an amazing 10th goal. Things did turn sour a little, Warner and Willnis got into a scuffle after a late tackle from Willnis. Warner got booked but in the argument Willnis lashed out and was sent for an early bath with a couple of minutes left. Bowditch managed to get an consolation goal in the dying seconds after Bocanegra's poor pass gifted the ball to sam. He beat Soley before slipping it to Bowditch who side footed home from 12 yards past Bennett. Too little too late and hopefuly we'll have the same kind of performance in the league cup. Warner was named man of the match.

F/T: Leeds Utd 10-1 Ipswich Town.

The next day, Healy came out and appogised for his outburst and pleged his future to Leeds, no doubt with a bit of pushing from Batty. Also, Sheffield Wednesday came from a goal behind to beat Southampton and with us winning it meant Leeds Utd were now top of the table. JUSTICE!!!! All the critic's were forced to eat their hats or whatever head gear to happened to be wearing that day and surely, we were one step closer to winning and league and with them getting closer, it meant i got closer to my £30,000 pay out. More shocks were to emerge however when Real Madrid expressed an interest in Eddie Lewis. His form has been awesome but at 31 would he really be worth it. I also doubt very much that Batty would let our only established left winger go, no matter how much was offered.

Ahead of the Sheffield Utd match Sulivan came down with the flu and was sent home to avoid a mass infection (lets home it isn't the bird flu) and Ryan Jarvis suffered a twisted knee in training so he'll miss the next couple of weeks i should think. Joe Royal got the boot after we demolished Ipswich at the weekend, Stuart Pearce seems to be favourite for the job and that would be interesting to see if he gets the job in time for the league cup match. Pearce and Batty, 2 of the toughest players in the game when they played so any off the pitch arguments would probably be more interesting than the actual match itself. Also, Steve Stone suffered an injury and his fight for fitness will be put on hold at least another week.

Chapter 23

Pearce did take over at Ipswich and set up a meeting of the former England hardmen and the results were almost instant as they drew with Watford in a midweek fixture. The champions league resumed also this week with all our teams got wins, Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal have qualified for the next stage but Everton and Liverpool need wins in their last games to stand a chance of making it to the last 16. Lee Bernard finished his rather unsuccessful loan spell and returned to Spurs after making just 3 subsitute appearences.

Sheffield Utd Vs Leeds Utd, Championship: (Starting Line-Up) Bennett, Bocanegra, Kilgallon, Gregan ©, Kelly, Lewis, Douglas, Walton, Blake, Horsfield, Warner. (Subs) Lund, Harding, Richardson, Whelan, Healy.

I sat down on my sofa to watch the match, few beers and some snacks in hand for it. The game kicked off and possession wise it was very even, we made the most of ours in terms of chances. Horsfield forced a couple of saves from Kenny and Warner wasted a free header after a great bit of running from Blake. We kept plugging and broke the deadlock. Warner came out wide to collect Blake's pass and delivered a cross to the back post which Horsfield converted with a strong header on 34mins. I also noticed things were starting to get a bit rougher. Tackles were becoming harder and more reckless and bookings were starting to become a frequent sight. Steve Kabba got a yard of space at the front post but his shot was saved brilliantly at the near post by Bennett after Mongomery's cross. Putting this aside though we managed to get another just before the half time whistle. Unsworth brought down Warner on the right to earn a free kick but before it was taken Quinn pushed Horsfield and got booked and in the confusion Lewis hit a pacey free kick towards the near post and the head of Warner helped it on to make it 2-0 to the mighty Leeds. The ref got a mouthful from Warnock at half time, then again so did Batty and they were both escorted down the tunnel, if they hadn't it would have come to blows i think. The teams trotted out for the second half and Sheff Utd were becoming a bit stretched and it showed. Kilgallon launched a clearence to which Horsfield's glancing header released Warner. He rounded the keeper then unselfishly passed across goal for Horsfield to finsh. Tempers were also starting to fly and Unsworth wasn't liking Warner's pace at all, the two exchanged some rather heated words from what i saw and as a result Warner was subsituted for Healy, Douglas also made way for Whelan. The bad blood didn't stop flowing however and another rash challenge, this time from Walton lead to a scuffle and Jagelka recieved a straight red for having a swipe at Horsfield. Warnock and Batty were going at it, all verbal until Batty pushed Warnock and all hell broke loose. The game stopped while Warnock and Batty were wrestled down the tunnel. After about 10mins of waiting the game finally got back underway with us ready to take our free kick. Healy lobbed it forward into the box and Walton stole in with a brave header to make it 4-0. It stayed like that for the rest of the match, Healy hit the post, as did Kabba but the game finished and it was one of the most entertaining i've seen in a long time, although i doubt we've heard the last of it. Walton was man of the match.

F/T: Sheffield Utd 0-4 Leeds Utd.

While i was happy with the win, i was very unhappy to find that we were back to square one. Bennett picked up an injury in training monday morning and now we find ourselves with no established goal keepers (AGAIN!!!!) Lund looks most likely to step into the fold meaning Gregan and Kilgallon will have to be at their very best, as will Horsfield and Warner. What was looking like a clear path to the Quarter finals is now looking like curtains. David Batty and Neil Warnock came up in front of the FA after sundays little doozy and have both been given 10 game touchline bans and fined undiclosed amounts. The ban will start when we take on 2nd place Southampton at the weekend. Batty said in a recent interview that he had considered resting some of his big name stars but in the wake of Bennett and Sulivan's injury lay up's will be forced to play a full stength side against Ipswich and then again against Southampton for our top of the table show down.

Chapter 24

Great news!!! Sulivan forced his way through a fitness test and will come to our rescue in time for the Ipswich match. I think every single Leeds Utd fan in the world breathed a huge sigh of relief after hearing that news.

Ipswich Town Vs Leeds Utd, League cup 4th round: (Starting Line-up) Sulivan, Bocanegra, Kilgallon, Gregan ©, Kelly, Lewis, Douglas, Walton, Blake, Horsfield, Warner. (Subs) Lund, Harding, Richardson, Derry, Healy.

Ipswich, taking home advantage ended up taking more than that. We failed to clear our lines and Parkin nodded down a ball for Bowditch who got ahead of Kilgallon and struck home. And it was about to get worse. After a string of fine saves we let ourselves down again after 13mins. Horlock threaded a ball through to Parkin who lashed home to make it 2-0 and then added a second 2mins later. A poor clearence from Walton meant Horlock could again lace a pass through a crowd of Leeds defenders and Parkin took full advantage, placing the ball past a helpless Sulivan....revenge...don't ya f**kin hate it. After that (and alot of rage filled screaming from Batty) we seemed to get better, but not much. Horsfield and Warner looked out of their depth for once, both having half chances and wasting them. The ref blew for half time and Batty had a face like thunder as he went for the tunnel. I knew we had the ability to pull it back, wheather we did or not would be upto the lads and 45 very difficult minutes. The game kicked off once more and that difficult 45min was about to get harder. Kelly felled Parkin in the box and Currie dispatched the resulting pentaly on the rebound after a save from Sulivan. Batty was going ape s**t from what i hear. Changes were made, Horfield, Blake and Douglas came off for Healy, Richardson and Derry. The result was instant. Richardson switch the ball from right to left, Lewis knocked the ball down and Healy lept onto it with a rasping drive into the bottom corner. 4-1 and it was time to mojo! We were starting to pepper the Ipswich goal and we got another with 20mins left. Warner broke free from the half way line and played the ball to Healy, he knocked it on to the running Lewis who set himself and smashed low at the near post past Price. He grabbed the ball and ran it back. 4-2! We let up a little for some reason but then instantly clicked up a gear. Richardson cut inside and pushed a superb ball through to Healy, his first shot was saved but his second wasn't and it was game on in a big way. 4mins left, 4-3 and chasing down a scared looking Ipswich. However, i knew it wasn't going to be our night when Warner raced away onto Walton clearence free as a bird, his low placed drive was saved and cleared. We tried hard but didn't find the equaliser, i doubt Batty could be mad at them, they gave it there all and even i had to stand up and applaud them for that second half perfomance. The penalty ruined it for us but thats football. Healy was man of the match.

F/T: Ipswich 4-3 Leeds Utd.

Batty came out and praised his players in the post match interview with sky, saying that they put there all in. He wished Ipswich good luck in the next round and disappeared into the changing room. Horsfield picked up a booking in this game and will serve a ban but after his perfomance, i doubt he'd have been picked anyway. I'm expecting some changes for the Southampton game.

Chapter 25

We swept the board in the monthly awards. Lewis was named as player of the month with Gregan in second. Kilgallon got young player with Walton in second. Batty was named as manager of the month while Shaun Derry's thunderbolt against Brighton got him goal of the month, Blakes overhead kick against Ipswich was second. Here's the tables as they stood at the start of December.

(Pld) (W) (D) (L) (F) (A) (Pts)

1. Leeds United (20) (15) (1) (4) (70) (22) 46pts

2. Southampton (20) (14) (3) (3) (38) (20) 45pts

3. Crystal Palace (20) (13) (3) (5) (43) (26) 39pts

4. Reading (20) (11) (4) (5) (37) (22) 37pts

5. Norwich City (20) (11) (4) (5) (30) (15) 37pts

6. Wolves (20) (11) (4) (5) (31) (19) 37pts

Scoring charts,

1. Matt Warner (Leeds Utd) 27 goals

2. Geoff Horsfield (Leeds Utd) 23 goals

3. Andy Johnson (Crystal Palace) 13 goals

4. Jon Macken (Crystal Palace) 13 goals

5. Danny Webber (Watford) 13 goals

Chelsea still topped the premier league, 2 points ahead of Arsenal who had a game in hand. Liverpool and Bolton still occupy the other 2 champions league spots. Man Utd lay 5th, 5 points adrift of Bolton. Wigan, Blackburn and Fulham sit in the relegation zone.

Next up for us was another big game in the shape of Southampton at home. A win would give us a 4 point lead at the top of the table heading towards the half way point of the season. Defeat would mean we'd fall 2pts behind Southampton going into december.

Leeds Utd Vs Southampton, Championship: (Starting Line-Up) Sulivan, Harding, Kilgallon, Bocanegra, Richardson, Lewis, Derry, Walton, Blake ©, Healy, Warner. (Subs) Lund, Nyatanga, Kelly, Whelan, Hulse.

As expected, the back line was ripped apart and things were changed, hopefuly the likes of Richardson and Harding can get it right and push for a more perminent space in the team. Blake takes the captains armband from Gregan. As usual i settled into my familar seat with my dad and brothers in time for kick off. The game started very evenly, both of us having chances, one being a rasping 40 yard drive from Walton which Niemi couldn't hold, Healy fluffed the rebound. Both sides were causing problems but Southampton drew first blood. Derry's poor pass found Kanu, he spread the ball out wide to St'Juste on the left. His cross nicked off Richardson and Kanu stole in and the near post to flick it in past Sulivan. A goal down, bugger! Didn't stay like that for long, Lewis won the ball on the half way line and nailed an inch perfect 40 yard pass to find Warner who hit a low volley first time past Niemi just before half time. The crowd went wild, another superb Warner goal and we were very much back in the hunt. Half time came around and the boy jogged off down the tunnel and out of sight, wonder what Batty will say? Whatever he did say seemed to work as we started the second half very much in control of the match though we didn't make anything stick. The changes rang in with about 20mins left, Derry (who had been dire) made way for Douglas, Healy went off for Hulse. That seemed to be the spark we needed as Hulse got us a free kick just outside the area on the right and the resulting delivery from Lewis found the head of Warner who's glancing near post header found the back post and then the net. We had the lead and we had them on the run. The minutes started to tick down and with just a few left, Southampton went for broke, sticking 5 men up front. They pressed us hard, Mornar bringing a brilliant save from Sulivan and with Bocanegra's clearence we were away. Douglas got up a big header and Lewis collected to the loose ball, he ran it down the wing before laying a low cross into the area. Hulse, Walton, Douglas and Warner were all lining up but it was the unmarked Blake at the back post who side footed home to give us the 3 points for sure. The stewards struggled to keep the crowd at bay. The seconds ticked down and eventually the whistle came along with an almighty cheer. Massive win, 4 point lead. The players swapped shirts and we departed the stadium happy. Lewis was named man of the match.

F/T: Leeds Utd 3-1 Southampton.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flipsix3:

Crikey, I thouhgt the opening post was the tale of how you're playing career ended and you got into management, but no...

...unlucky there fella!!

ANyway good luck with the Elland Road brigade </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Good Story Matty -- Keep it up.

And get well soon

Chapter 26

The win against Southampton was our 8th on the bounce and we were half way to returning home to our rightful place in the premier league. The monday morning brought around the 3rd round FA cup draw. I sat at my desk, listening to the radio as the teams were drawn out...

"Number 21...Leeds United, home tie for them, will play....Number 42...Portsmouth."

Finally, we had the premiership tie i'd been dying for. Ok it wasn't Man Utd, Chelsea or Liverpool...but it would do for now i suppose and with it being at home, it meant i didn't have to drag myself all the way down there to watch it. The last games in the group stages of the champions league also took place with Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Everton all making it through. A 4-1 defeat to Benfica dumped holders Liverpool out meaning we'd have new European champions come may. My money was on Chelsea or Everton to come closest. Also, David Batty accepted offers for both Steve Stone and Paul Butler, it is widely believed that the huge wage at the club has forced his hand into selling. Neither of them has really made a difference this season and them leaving would probably be best for both parties as it would save £9k on our already tight wage structure. Also, Rangers are reportedly looking to strengthen their squad by offering £1.6m for David Healy, but i doubt Batty is willing to let him go with only 4 strikers at his disposal. Adding to this however, Batty announced he was interested in Crystal Palace's 20 year old left back Gary Borrowdale after Iain Dowie said in a recent interview that he'd be willing to let him go for the right price. Batty has already spent close to £3m on players in a bid to get us back to the premiership and with both Stone and Butler likely to leave, could open doors for him to bring in a new face in the january transfer window.

Erik Bakke was also linked with a move away from Leeds. He's been on a season long loan with Aston Villa and i'm sure he'll go, his £24k a week wages would criple us. Ipswich are the team that has shown most interest and as far as i'm concerned they are welcome to him. It's not that i think he's a bad player, he's a great player but Batty has brought in youth and wants to build for the future. Young players don't get paid as much and incentives of success for the club mean as we get better, they get better pay deals. Healy came out saying he would welcome a move to Rangers should they come knocking, Batty recently told Rangers where to go (in a nice way) but Healy seems to have other plans. Steve Stone also agreed to a move to QPR for £30k, that will go through at the start of the january transfer window. Bennet and Jarvis also resumed full training after injuries and should figure again within the next week or so but Blake will miss our next match or 2 with a facial injury.

Cardiff City Vs Leeds Utd, Championship: (Starting Line-Up) Sulivan, Harding, Bocanegra, Kilgallon, Kelly, Lewis, Douglas, Walton, Richardson, Horsfield ©, Warner. (Subs) Bennett, Nytanga, Einarsson, Derry, Healy.

I flopped onto my sofa ready for kick off as Chris Kamara (legend!) went through the line up's. Kick off followed soon after and we looked a little out of sorts. Warner and Horsfield were struggling a little and half way through the first half Cardiff took the lead. An early cross from Koumas on the right was converted perfectly by Foran who headed home past Sulivan. Batty didn't seem pleased, shouting from his seat in the stands, as he should. Our best chance came as a bit of a fluke, Alexander came out of his goal to clear but it found Warner who pinged a 40 yard volley just wide of the mark. Half time beckoned and i got some more beer. By the time i returned to the sofa the match had kicked off once more, and much to the same tune. Koumas again delivered the perfect infield pass and Foran's cheeky chip left Sulivan stood like a statue as it went in. We were an absolute shambles. Seeing his chance, Batty threw on all 3 subs, Horsefield, Richardson and Douglas all made way, Healy, Einarsson and Derry all came into the fray and it seemed to perk us up. Healy collected Lewis's pass before laying it off for Walton who played the perfect second ball through for Healy who poked it home at the near post with 20mins to go. From there we looked to take control but it just didn't seem to be our day. Lewis beat his man and crossed to the back post but Warner, free from his man and wide open, missed from 5 yards. Massivly disappointing. We tried our best to get back into it, Waltons header from a well took corner was palmed out and again Warner managed to spoon it over from 6 yards. Soon after Healy went off injured and we were down to 10 men, Cardiff caused no more trouble but neither did we. The final whistle blew and that was our first defeat in 9 games, still top but Southampton and Palace were breathing down our necks now.

F/T: Cardiff City 2-1 Leeds Utd.

Chapter 27

The next morning i was unhappy to find out that Healy was going to be out for at least a month while Eddie Lewis would also sit out the next couple of weeks, leaving us short handed on the wings, but i'm sure Batty will cope. Not much time to change things around, our next match would be on tuesday, at home to Crewe. We were still undefeated at home this season, Norwich being the only team to leave with anything. Hopefuly Crewe wouldn't be the second. As we went into that game though, Sheff Utd admitted an interest in Shaun Derry, though no offer had been made yet, the transfer window was looming large and offers were surely due to start pouring in.

Leeds Utd Vs Crewe Alexandra, Championship: (Starting Line-Up) Bennett, Bocanegra, Kilgallon, Gregan ©, Kelly, Harding, Whelan, Derry, Einarsson, Hulse, Warner. (Subs) Sulivan, Douglas, Richardson, Walton, Horsfield.

After sundays defeat, Batty rang in the changes, Hulse would make only his second start of the season ahead of Horsfield who has been disappointing in his last couple of games. It was a very cold evening in Leeds as the teams emerged from the tunnel to get things started, a hot cup of tea was a must for this one. We kicked off but it was Crewe who started the better, a free kick from Lunt forced Bennett into making a top draw save in the opening minutes. We came back with our own effort. Warner stepped up to take a free kick, the wall deflected it almost straight back to him and his rasping drive was just nicked wide by Willamsons finger tips. After some end to end football we started to find our feet and with 10mins of the half remaining we struck. Kelly's cross field ball found Harding, he controlled well before his deflected shot was met by Warner sliding in at the back post to make it 1-0 and just before half time we doubled the lead. Kelly and Einarssons cleaver one-two created space for Kelly to cross and Hulse powered home a big header to make it 2-0. That was the final action of the first half and i nipped away for another cup of tea. Upon my return the teams were out and ready to get kicked off again. The second half was tame, Francis latched onto a clearence on the right and his hoofed ball almost caught Bennett out, his finger tips coming to the rescue. Batty made changes with about half hour left. Richardson, Walton and Hulse all headed on for Einarsson, Whelan and Warner. The last 10mins brought the most hectic spell of the match. A cross from deep by Moore was enough to pull Bennett off his line but he was beaten to it by Eddie Johnson and Crewe had one back. Crewe started to pepper our goal with shot after shot until with a minute left they finally got lucky. Kelly gave away possession in the corner and Lunt's pass across goal was tapped home by Cochrane. We'd thrown away a 2 goal lead and things were looking down until with a minute left of injury time Hulse was brought down in the box by Tonkin and the ref pointed to the spot. Walton stepped up and placed it low to the keepers right to secure all 3 points for us. Tough night, but i'm sure if we play like that, they could become alot tougher. Hulse was named man of the match.

F/T: Leeds Utd 3-2 Crewe Alexandra.

That was the half way point and we were top by a point going into the second half of the season. Next up for us would be the visit of Derby, changes were sure to be made after this match as we folded way too easily.

Chapter 28

In the days leading upto the Derby match, things were unsually tame apart from Batty issuing hands off warnings to clubs over speculation that Walton and Gregan were attracting attention from Premiership clubs.

Leeds Utd Vs Derby County, Championship: (Starting Line-Up) Bennett, Bocanegra, Kilgallon, Gregan ©, Kelly, Douglas, Derry, Walton, Jarvis, Horsfield, Warner. (Subs) Sulivan, Nyatanga, Richardson, Whelan, Hulse.

Changes were made to the squad that beat Crewe, Batty explaining that players were beginning to tire a little and the squad would be rotated were possible from now on. My brothers and i shuffled into our seat to find our dad discussing our promotion chances with a fellow fan. The music sounds and we rose to applaud the players and they entered the field ready for kick off. The ref's whistle got the game going and we looked determinded to take the lead early. Douglas had 2 efforts, one crashing off the base of the post before we finally took the lead. Douglas sent the ball into the space ahead of Horsfield who brought the ball under control and shot at the near post. Camp looked like he'd saved it but after some confering between the ref and his linesman the goal was given and we had the lead. Things got worse for derby a few minutes later, Jarvis pinged a ball ahead of Warner who chased it down, Johnson was the last man and he unsportingly kicked out at Warner and brought him down, a straight red was the reward for it. We added another a minute later. Douglas played the ball into Horsfield who forced his way into the area. Camp came out but Horsfield flicked it into the middle where Warner slammed home into the open net to make it 2-0. We kept up the pressure on Derby but got a reminder of how good they can be. Tudgay beat the offside trap and was well away, his shot was saved by the legs of Bennett before Kelly cleared to safety. Just before half time we managed to add 2 more. The first came when Walton's cheeky flick was collect by Warner, he muscled round the defender and lashed the ball past Camp to make it 3 and the other came after Jarvis sent the ball into Warner, he turned and pushed into the 18yard box, enticing Camp from his line before laying it off to Horsfield. Edworthy managed to hook the ball away from him but Derry struck it into the empty net with a diving header from 20 yards. Half time came and went quickly and soon the teams were lining up for the second half. It started tamely, all the action mainly in the centre of midfield, a couple of chances but nothing really worth mentioning. The changes were soon made with 20mins left. Warner, Jarvis and Derry made way for Hulse, Richardson and Whelan and the results were instant. Douglas came infield and played the ball to Walton who nudged it first time to Hulse, he had time to set himself before drilling it into the top corner. And things got even worse for Derby. Hulse got away from his marker once more but was sythed down in the box by Edworthy. He recieved a second yellow and Walton dispatched the Resulting penalty. A minute later we found another one, Horsfield nicked the ball past Camp before being dragged down and again Walton made no mistake, sending it to Camps right this time. Hulse added another a few minutes later. Douglas delivered a quick near post cross and Hulse flicked it on past Camp who looked less than pleased to be picking the ball out of his net for a 8th time. But the night wasn't done for the poor lad. Whelan and Walton toyed with Idiakez before Walton Unleashed a 25 yard piledriver into the top corner to complete an 11 minute hat trick. Fantastic for the lad but it would get better for him as he rounded the night off with one more. Kelly played the ball through to Whelan who looked free as a bird as he skipped past Bolder before letting the ball go to Walton, he picked the ball up and slotted cooly past Camp...a real strikers finish it was too. The game ended and the Derby players held their heads in their hands, i imagine Kammy was screaming "Unbeliveeevable" from the gantry (Live match on Sky). Excellent result and the Excellent Walton was rightfuly named man of the match.

F/T: Leeds Utd 10-0 Derby County.

The papers congratulated Batty and the entire team. We had become a feared force within football once more, we'd scored 10 goals on 3 occasions so far this season and the Premiership must surely be beckoning for us now with Southampton losing it meant we restored our 4 point lead at the top, lets just hope we can increase it and get promotion wrapped up as soon as possible. Also, as good as Walton was, he got booked for a 5th time this season and will serve a 1 match ban. I have to comment some more on this match. It was absolutly faultless really. Walton looked like he would feel at home running the England midfield, Warner looked like a future World Player of the Year and Douglas produced a left wing perfomance that could rival that of a young Ryan Giggs. Truely top class...i could go on in some detail about every player but those are the one's that stuck out for me, Especially Douglas and Walton.

Chapter 29

Come Monday moring the first offer in a while came in. Spurs made an offer around the £3m mark for Kilgallon but it was instantly turned down. Batty is adament that his team will not be torn apart during the transfer window and no one would be allowed to leave, no matter how big the offer was. We had a long break now, which meant i had to go x-mas shopping with the missus. It happens every year, for 6 hours i'm a donkey, carting around stupid amounts of items and when were done, my credit card is ready to burst into flames and my wallet is openly weeping. The moths will soon move in i'm sure. In the press, they were speculating on the attention Richardson was getting. A number of Scottish clubs have shown a keen interest in the lad but again, Batty told them all that he wouldn't sell one of his most promising youngsters and risk breaking up his team. He went on to say that the days of Leeds Utd being a selling club were gone and it was time to refuse money in order build a team that could win things. He was right, i was seriously unhappy at the loss of Lennon and Milner and it was about time that someone put their foot down and said no. So we'd struggle money wise for a little while...Bates had made things stable enough for us to keep our players and make a serious push for promotion without putting the club in danger and it seemed to be working. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

In other news, Sao Paulo won the World Club Championship against some unknown team so, won't go into that any further. Javis and Nyatanga suffered injuries in training and will more than likely miss out the next couple of games but Soley, Blake and Lewis resumed full training after his injury and will probably be fit for our Boxing day match against QPR. Kilgallon showed his unhappiness at Batty's decision to reject Tottenhams bid for him but i suppose it's just tough luck really. Chelsea once again flexed their cheque book by agreeing a £34m double deal for Evertons Tim Cahill and Joseph Yobo (surely they could have got them cheaper). Arsenal were drawn against Ipswich in the League Cup semi final, the other semi will see Bolton face Everton. Newcastle and Charlton made enquirys about Gary Kelly but both were dismissed as quickly as they came in from what i heard.

It was x-mas day and i celebrated with my family in the usual way by stuffed myself silly and getting highly drunk, thank god i didn't have to get up in the morning as Leeds were playing away. Sometimes, i don't know how those football players do it. I know i couldn't get through x-mas without a few beers and forget about new years eve, my hat goes off to them every year on that night. X-mas day also brought forward a £7m bid from Liverpool for Matt Warner, though it was turned down straight away. Still recovering from the day before i tuned the radio in to listen to our match against QPR.

QPR Vs Leeds Utd, Championship: (Starting Line-Up) Bennett, Bocanegra, Kilgallon, Gregan ©, Kelly, Lewis, Douglas, Derry, Blake, Horsfield, Warner. (Subs) Sulivan, Harding, Richardson, Whelan, Hulse.

There was snow falling in London as the teams made their way out for kick off, i was happy to be in the snug surroundings of my lounge. We kicked off and found ourselves in reletive control of the game. We looked a bit sharper than QPR and it showed, Warner forcing a top drawer save from Royce. Derry went off with injury after just 20mins thanks to Gallens tackle, Whelan came on to replace him and he seemed to add a bit more spark to the game. Soon after we got the lead. Warners glancing header found Horsfield who held up the ball and played into space, Warner latched onto it and fired through the legs for Royce to make it 1-0. We had a few more chances but wasted them all. Half time was upon us and i went to get myself a cuppa and a few biscuits in time for the second half. As i sat down i heard that Southampton and Palace were having a real end to end match, half time score 4-3 Southampton. Hopefuly (and i won't say this often) Palace can win and we can extend our lead at the top going into the new year. We started the second half very quickly and doubled out lead, again through Warner. Douglas's long ball forward was nodded down by Horsfield to Lewis who shot first time from 25 yards and Warner nicked the ball past a very static and helpless Royce. With around 20mins left we got another, Lewis' cleaver foot work earned him the yard he needed to cross and Warner rose like a salmon to head home his hat trick. It didn't end there, Bocanegra sent a long ball down the left. Warner chased it down and back healed to Lewis who looked like he'd wasted a chance to cross but the ball dipped and fell right into the far corner to make it 4-0. Batty made a change, Lewis came off in place of Harding. We found the net again with 10mins to go, Shittu's weak back pass saw Royce and Horsfield collide, the ball skimmed off, Warner retreved it and leathered home for his 4th. Harding added to QPR's woe's, he beat his man and cut inside from the left before curling the ball low into the corner and we rounded off an excellent afternoon in style. Warner turned quickly with the ball on the half way line, beat one....beat two, then beat a third man. He looked to have been forced wide but suprised everyone by rattling the ball low and into the net with the help of the post. The whistle blew and we celebrated another big win. Warner was man of the match, he netted his 40th goal of the season and looked to be ready to break all scoring records set before him.

F/T: QPR 0-7 Leeds Utd.

Chapter 30

Despite the good result it wasn't without it's downside. Derry and Whelan would both be missing for at least 2 weeks after picking up injuries against QPR. Kelly and Kilgallon were both subject to bids from Premiership sides Newcastle and Liverpool but both were rejected as we went into our next game at home to Wolves.

Leeds Utd Vs Wolves, Championship: (Starting Line-Up) Bennett, Harding, Kilgallon, Gregan ©, Kelly, Lewis, Douglas, Walton, Blake, Horsfield, Warner. (Subs) Sulivan, Bocanegra, Richardson, Einarsson, Hulse.

Batty made changes to the team which won so comprehensivly 2 days before due injury. Again it was snowing lightly over Leeds as i got comfy in my seat with a hot cup of tea and a cig just as the teams came out. It was a bitterly cold evening as the ref kicked off procedings. It was an even start, both teams having their fair share of possession and chances but we drew first blood. Douglas chipped a ball into the area and Warner stole in from nowhere to slide in hit home at the near post. The lead didn't last however as we went to sleep at the back, Capaldi got behind Kelly to cross and Ince found space in the 6-yard box to nod it home. All over the place if were honest. We had a chance to retake the lead after Ashdown's scuffed clearence found Lewis and his 35 yard lob went just wide. The ref called an end to the half and i sparked up another cig, i had a feeling i was gonna need it. Not long after the teams trotted out once more. We had the possession early on but couldn't make it count, Horsfield and Walton both wasted chances to reclaim the lead and with 20mins left Batty made his changes. Bocanegra came on for Lewis, with Harding switching to left mid and Warner made way for Hulse. Wolves were defending well and we were now struggling to break them down, into the last 10mins the game became stretched and it was end to end stuff as both sides looked for the win and eventually a goal came, thankfuly it was for us. Kelly crossed from deep finding Walton's glancing header, Ashdown got down well and saved but Douglas was most awake and finished from 8 yards. The Wolves players complained that both Harding and Horsfield were offside and impeding the keeper but the ref was having none of it. Wolves, determind as ever almost hit back instantly, Winter's long range shot was tipped over the bar by Bennett's finger tips. Time ticked down slowly and both sides had more chances in the dying seconds, Hulse hit the post after some inventive link play with Blake on the right but the whistle finally blew and we had the win. Good game, but a nervy one from us. Walton was named man of the match.

F/T: Leeds Utd 2-1 Wolves.

I settled down at home the same night, happy that we were still top. As i switched to Sky Sports news they were reporting that Damien Duff was due to sign for Real Madrid in a £13m deal, he wasn't the only one leave as William Gallas was also set to leave, he was off to Man Utd for an estimated £14m. Batty also made moves in the transfer market. Contracts were offered to Roma midfielder Damiano Tommasi and Dortmund's 17 year old whizkid Nuri Sahin, should they accept both would join in the summer on free transfers. He also completed a 3 month loan deal for Liverpool goalkeeper Paul Lancaster. Derry and Gregan were subject to transfer bids also but both offers were turned down. Things were starting to get hectic as the transfer window loomed large, wheather Batty would seek to bring in some more perminent deals remains to be seen.

Bad news to come was that Neil Sulivan slipped a disc in training and will but out for upto 2 months. The loan deal for Lancaster now looks better than ever, hopefuly Bennett can stay injury free in the time Sulivan is out of action. Also, both Bakke and Ricketts returned from their loan spells but both will almost certainly be sold during the transfer window as their wages are deemed too high to keep them. With it being the end of the month and the new year there are a few things to get through. Bayern Munich defender Lucio won World Player of the Year, Scholes was named European midfielder of the year, Ballck, Lucio and Van Nistelrooy all picked up awards for being the best players in their positions. Sean Gregan was named player of the month and Whelan won Young player. Matt Warner picked up goal of the month for his superb individual goal against QPR. Here's how the tables stand,

1. Leeds United (26) (20) (1) (5) (96) (28) 61pts

2. Southampton (26) (18) (3) (5) (49) (30) 57pts

3. Crystal Palace (26) (17) (3) (6) (63) (34) 54pts

4. Norwich City (26) (14) (7) (5) (40) (18) 49pts

5. Wolves (26) (13) (6) (7) (38) (25) 45pts

6. Cardiff City (26) (12) (7) (7) (50) (37) 43pts

Scorers charts looked like this,

1. Matt Warner (Leeds Utd) 37 goals

2. Geoff Horsfield (Leeds Utd) 24 goals

3. Jon Macken (Crystal Palace) 22 goals

4. Andy Johnson (Crystal Palace) 17 goals

5. Dean Ashton (Norwich City) 15 goals

Chapter 31

Next up for us was the visit of Plymouth and sources suggest that Eirik Bakke will start in the centre of midfield and will continue to play until he is sold. With the club working over-time to find him a club he will be looking to put in some top drawer perfomances. Everton made a £20m double bid for Kilgallon and Warner, while the bid for Warner was turned down, Kilgallon's offer remained up in the air. Kilgallon has recently refused to sign a new deal and the £5m offer maybe best for the club rather than losing him on a free in the summer. I'd be sad to see him go but if he won't sign a new deal it's clear he doesn't have the clubs interest at heart and it might be time for him to move on to new things. Speaking of Everton though, they were drawn against AC Milan in the last 16 of the champions league. Chelsea play Shakhtar, Man Utd face Sparta Prague and Arsenal take on Dinamo Kiev.

Leeds Utd Vs Plymouth Argyle, Championship. (Starting Line-Up) Bennett, Harding, Kilgallon, Gregan ©, Kelly, Lewis, Bakke, Walton, Blake, Hulse, Warner. (Subs) Lancaster, Bocanegra, Richardson, Douglas, Horsfield.

I shuffled into my seat a little later than usual, my dad and brothers were already there waiting. The teams were already on the field as i sat down in time for the coin toss. They won and opted to kick off. And kick off they did. With less than a minute on the clock Evans got on the end of Connolly's long pass and headed home. Great start by Plymouth but our defending was suspect. We looked very much out of sorts, Plymouth were running us in circles and they found a second half way through the first half. Norris got past Harding before crossing and Nick Chadwick got above Kilgallon and headed home to double the lead. It took us over half an hour to get our first meaningful attack and we made it count. Lewis sent a ball into the corner for Hulse, he crossed at the byline and Warner got there before his marker and the keeper to glance it in at the near post. 2-1 but we didn't really deserve it. Half time came and we headed inside for a warm drink and a cig. The main topic of discusion was Bakke and how utterly crap he'd been, if thats how he's going to play he'd be better off leaving. We got back out a bit late, the teams had already kicked off by the time we'd sat down. We were very much in control of things but we couldn't break down Plymouth who were defending in mass numbers. With 25mins left on the clock Batty brought off Bakke and Hulse, Bakke was a massive let down. Douglas and Horsfield came on and made an instant difference in our play. Douglas adding the much needed steel and spark in the midfield. And then, with 15mins left we finally found the equaliser. Kilgallon's long clearence brought Larrieu from his goal and into no mans land to collect. Warner challenged, the ball sprang loose and Horsfield cleared up, cooly scoring from 25 yards into the empty net. A minute later we thought we'd take the lead. Blake whipped in a free kick from the right, Douglas got a head up at goal which was saved, Horsfield was there to tap in the rebound but it was disallowed, the linesman flagging for a foul on Lasey. We started to dominate the match but Plymouth were defending with all they had. They didn't put a foot wrong until the 94th minute when Blake got on the end of Kelly's pass down the right. He set himself and crossed the ball low into the box, Warner strode in unmarked and smashed it home for the win. He was loving it and he had good reason to, it was his 50th goal for Leeds Utd. The final whistle blew and we had the win, but only just. Warner picked up man of the match for his perfomance.

F/T: Leeds Utd 3-2 Plymouth Argyle

With Southampton being held to a 1-1 draw at Coventry, we opened up a 6 point lead at the top of the table. After the match Batty announced that Leeds were close to agreeing a deal with Everton for Matthew Kilgallon. He explained that should he leave, Leeds would recieve £7.5m and a further £1m should he make an international appearence. He would also stay at Leeds until the end of the season, wheather Everton would accept the terms yet to be seen. Suhin and Tommasi decided against moves to Leeds, but Tommasi only got improved terms and his deal still has only 6 months to run, maybe he would join if we gained promotion. But back to promotion, next up for us was a trip to Burnley.

Burnley Vs Leeds Utd, Championship: (Starting Line-Up) Bennett, Harding, Kilgallon, Gregan ©, Kelly, Lewis, Douglas, Walton, Blake, Horsfield, Warner. (Subs) Lancaster, Bocanegra, Richardson, Einarsson, Hulse.

Another cold night out for the lads as the ref kicked things off with a high pitched whistle. From what i heard over the radio, it was a drab affair...nothing much to speak of for the first 40min. Blake curled wide and Duffs free kick forced a save from Bennett. The with 5mins in the half left things kicked into over drive. First off, Horsfield muscled his way into the 18 yard box after collecting Harding hoofed clearence and lashed home a powerful effort low to the keepers left and we doubled up with 2mins left. Blake tricked his way past Karbassiyoon on the right and whipped in a low cross which was scrambled home by Warner at the near post. Cruise control? Not exactly, almost directly after kick off Lewis was called over to the ref for a foul, he'd already been booked and he was soon heading for the tunnel. Harsh decision in my view (Then again i am a Leeds fan). Warner came off for Einarsson who went into the centre of midfield, Douglas moving out to the left with Horsfield as the loan striker. Half time came right after and we looked to be in a bit of bother. And my worries were soon founded, 2 mins into the half and Burnley pulled one back. Noel Williams found space to cross, Harding (In his own 18 yard box) tried to control but failed and O'Connor lept on the rebound and smashed it through Bennetts legs. After that though, it was us causing more danger than them. Horsfield brought the best out of Welsh international Danny Coyne and not long after, Horfield restored our 2 goal lead. Gregan threaded a ball through for him to collect and he carried the ball almost 50 yards before slotting it past Coyne with confidence. Things changed with 20mins left, Blake and Horsfield made way for Richardson and Hulse. We looked far more confident despite Burnley coming into the game a little more. O'Connor again causing trouble, this time he was stopped by Bennett. With around 10mins on the clock we found another goal...ok, another 2 goals. Both came from Douglas, the first came when he came from deep to collect Walton's lofted pass to the left before smashing into the roof of the net and his second goal came after some good running and a bit of luck. He rounded his man before scuffing his cross, it completely took Coyne by suprise and we had a 5th. Full time followed shortly after and despite being a man down, we ran the show in the 2nd half. Excellent result for us with Horsfield getting man of the match.

F/T: Burnley 1-5 Leeds Utd.

Chapter 32

Lewis, after his sending off recieved a 1 match ban as did Kilgallon for recieving his 5th yellow card of the season which means we would be looking a little thin for this weekend eagerly awaited F.A. Cup 3rd game against Portsmouth at Elland Road. Batty made further bids to improve our goalkeeping situation by making a loan offer for Portsmouths 21-year old goalie Andrea Guatelli. The hectic pace of the January transfer window kept getting faster, Portsmouth registered bids for Robbie Blake and Dan Harding which were both turned down straight off the bat. I'm actually quite suprised at how well we've kept the hounds at bay so to speak. I'm used to a team coming knocking and us just opening the door and taking what they want. Not anymore it seems, nice to have a manager who sticks by his word. Everton turned down Leeds Utd's counter offer for Kilgallon saying it didn't reflect good value for money...not for them anyway so he'd be with us for another week or so yet i imagine although a few days later, i found out he could be here longer. With Killa into the last 6 months of his deal, he is open to contract offers and Newcastle made one. Cheeky f**kin geordies, we'll fix their wagon!

Another wagon was wheeling out of Elland Road today however, Paul Butlers wagon in fact as he completed a £10k switch to Blackpool to aid our wage bill. The Portsmouth game was now looming large in the minds of every single Leeds Utd fan, this is the closest we've been to the Premiership since Batty's revival of the once mighty Leeds. Changes were made ahead of the game due to suspensions but we were looking good.

Leeds Utd Vs Portsmouth, F.A. Cup 3rd round: (Starting Line-Up, Left to Right) Bennett, Harding, Soley, Gregan ©, Kelly, Douglas, Whelan, Walton, Blake, Horsfield, Warner. (Subs) Lancaster, Bocanegra, Richardson, Einarsson, Hulse.

Here it was, i'd been looking forward to this for the past month. I showed up at the ground at 1pm. I wanted to be there early doors for this one, to me it was a huge match. We'd been playing like we were a Premier League team and now we'd get the chance to see if we could cut it. The teams made their way out as i read through my programme, everyone rose to applaud the sides. Not too long after the ref blew his whistle and Portsmouth kicked off. The opening minutes started quickly and we almost found the lead. Horsfield held up the ball before releasing a ball over the defence, Warner got to it and hit it low against Westerveld. In truth, Portsmouth weren't causing many problems to our back line. Then it happened, we got the lead! Horsfield's header down from Whelans corner forced Westerveld to save at full stretch, pushing it onto the post. The ball rebounded back across the goal line and Warner slid in to make it 1-0. Fantastic. After the restart Portsmouth looked a bit more determind and Karadas forced Bennett into a top drawer stop. With half time approaching Portsmouth were on top of us and pelting us with everything they had until Douglas collected a pass from Harding before playing in the perfect pass for Horsfield. He set himself and smashed it low at Westervelds near post leaving the former Dutch international helpless, 2-0!!!! We were going ballistic in the stands. Half time came a few minutes later. Every fan in the house (apart from those Portsmouth fans of course) had a smile on their face. The ground was packed, looked like 40,000 here to see the mighty whites in action. We were ready for the second half, the ground were singing a mighty 40,000 strong chorus of "Marching On Together" as we got the game back under way.

It only took 6mins for the smile to become broader for us. Horsfield rose above Cisse to head home Kelly's cross and we were in raptures. 3-0 up and playing amazing. Portsmouth pressed a little more but they didn't make Bennett work really and they paid for it. Blake shot down the right wing with the ball, he layed off to Warner on the edge of the area. His snap shot his the post but Horsfield was on hand to curl it into the top corner from 12 yards with 20mins left. Absolutly amazing! We looked for more goal for the rest of the half, Richardson, Bocanegra and Einarsson replaced Blake, Douglas and Whelan with 15mins on the clock. I'd love to tell you how we rounded the day off with a 5th goal but we didn't. The game ended tamely for them as we cruised into the next round. Horsfield was named man of the match but i really do have to comment on Soley who was absolutly incredible. He bossed the defence in Kilgallons absence and if he can perform like that weekly, Batty will have a hard time leaving him out of the squad.

F/T: Leeds Utd 4-0 Portsmouth

Chapter 33

Despite our win Southampton produced the result of the day beating Arsenal 3-1 at the St. Mary's. Also, i presume after seeing Soley's performance and the fact the Newcastle have offered him a deal, Matthew Kilgallon has been transfer listed and offer to clubs for around £5m. Should he leave for the Geordies we'd recieve just £400k for him so i'm hoping that other clubs come in for him and he opts to move now as it would free up cash for Batty to make signings in time for the next part of the season. After the rush of our F.A. Cup win i believed things would calm down a bit, but things are never dull for a Leeds Utd fan these days especially when this happens...

"Number 29... Tottenham Hotspur Vs......number 19....Leeds United."

I was in shock as i listened, first thing i did was call my dad and brothers then the Elland Road ticket office to get 4 tickets for the match. I was like a kid on christmas day when i put the phone down, a trip to Spurs and another chance for Leeds to prove that they aren't a spent force. The missus found out how happy i was later that night. Over the days leading upto our next match, bids came in thick and fast for our stars but all were turned down as i'd come to expect. Gregan, Kelly and Harding were all subject to bids from Premiership sides yet developments in the Kilgallon saga took an unwelcome twist as Spurs and Fulham offered contracts to our rising defensive starlet. With money still tight it looks like all hope of keeping him has disappeared and he won't be the only one going, Bakke agreed to move to Leicester on a free at the end of the season meaning we were looking thin on the ground already for summer which will mean Bates will have to lay on some major cash should we get promoted.

We made a fresh loan bid, this time in the shape of Spurs midfielder Sean Davis however Celtic also tabled a bid so we'll have to wait and see on that front. Bolton made an offer for Matthew Kilgallon, a swap deal for Joey O'Brien (never heard of him either) but from what i hear Batty sent back details of a more acceptable deal, again, we'd have to wait and see. Our next match would be mean a trip to Watford as our Championship journey continues. At the moment we have a 6 point lead at the top with 18 games left in the season. At the end of the season however we could be seeing Einarsson and Leven leave as Wigan enquired about the Einarsson while Leven was subject to offers from West Ham, Celtic and Sunderland and reports are suggesting that deals could be struck and they will leave come the end of the season. Both have been major disappointments from my view but letting them go now would really put us on the bones of our arse in terms of squad size.

Watford Vs Leeds Utd, Championship: (Starting Line-Up) Bennett, Harding, Soley, Gregan ©, Kelly, Lewis, Whelan, Walton, Blake, Horsfield, Warner. (Subs) Lancaster, Bocanegra, Richardson, Douglas, Hulse.

I was in town shopping at the time although i managed to pick up the highlights on sunday morning. We kicked off but they started with a goal in the first 5mins. Mackay got up a good header from a corner which was saved, but the rebound fell back to him and he made no mistake, smashing home past 3 of our players. And things got worse 2 minutes later. Devlin dinked a free kick into the box and Mackay again got above Soley and headed home past Bennett. We were dire, truly dire. We did have a spark of hope though when Kelly crossed the ball in from deep and Whelan got in behind the defence and headed home unmarked to get us back in the game. That window of oppertunity closed quickly as again our defence let us down. Devlins through ball evaded the stretching Gregan and Sheils slotted it home. I knew it was a replay but i couldn't help shouting at the TV (unbreakable habbit i suppose but we all do it). On the half hour mark we managed to get out of our own half to mount an attack. Blake crossed in but Foster collected with ease, but, his throw was intercepted by Horsfield and he leathered it home to get us back in the game at the end of the half

I was hoping for a rally from the boy but neither side caused problems really. The closest we came was Warner scuffing an effort well wide of the post and we ended the game with a whimper really. Crap performance, Soley, who i could do nothing but praise after the Portsmouth match was utterly out done. Crap, absolute crap!

F/T: Watford 3-2 Leeds Utd

Chapter 34

After the game though Everton came in with a £4m bid for Kilgallon and with other clubs just offering contracts to the lad, the offer was accepted, now it's down to him wheather he joins. He would be available to play in their massive Champions League tie against AC Milan but with other options on the table it's touch and go really. Other transfer news is that both Wigan and Cardiff made formal bids for Leven and Einarsson. If the players agree terms they will leave at the end of the season with Wigan paying £200k for Leven and Cardiff dishing out £500k for Einarsson. Both players have disappointed this season and will more than likely agree terms which would add to Batty's transfer kitty for next term. Batty sent out loan bids for Tomas Kuszczak a goalkeeper currently playing for West Brom and Tony McMahon, a 19 year old Middlesborough right back, other clubs have made offers but i'm hoping someone will chose to join us...i mean jesus, do we have the plague or something?

Einarsson agreed to his end of season move to Cardiff but Leven is still mauling over a move after offers from Sunderland and Celtic came in, the club expect an outcome in the next few days. The next match in our colourful season will mean the 2nd reunion of the brothers Warner as we host Leicester in a televised game, however with it being at home i'll be going to the match. We'll be looking for 2 things, revenge for the 3-0 thumping we were handed at the Walker Stadium and a win, i know their the same thing but i'm not exactly a college genius am i?...Unlessss..no. Just before the game Lewis went down with a cold and was sent home but Shaun Derry returns after a thigh strain. We had a loan offer for Ricardo Vaz Te accepted along with Derby and are looking good to complete the deal. Southampton and Palace both drew so a win for us on the Sunday would mean our lead is increased to 7 points. On the Sunday morning Kilgallon signed for Everton for £4m. I wish him luck, rather he'd stayed with us until the end of the season but, if it meant losing him for beans maybe it's better he goes now. With that money in the bank bids for Billy Jones of Crewe and Daniel Agger of Bromby were sent out, both believe to be around £2m and a £275k bid for Central striker Pablo Vitti was also registered.

Leeds Utd Vs Leicester City, Championship: (Starting Line-Up) Bennett, Harding, Bocanegra, Gregan ©, Kelly, Douglas, Whelan, Walton, Blake, Horsfield, Warner (Subs) Lancaster, Nyatanga, Richardson, Derry, Hulse.

I had to be up earlier than i like to be to make this game, a 12 midday kick off but a cup of a tea and a burger woke me up some, gotta stop these late nights of boozing. The ref kicked off proceedings and i was hoping that Bocanegra could hold up in place of the now departed Kilgallon. I got my answer after just 5mins. Walton stupidly tried to find the keeper with a back pass, Hughes collected, rounded Bocanegra and slotted home. It didn't last long though, we earned ourselves and corner, Whelan whipped it out to the back post and Blake slammed a header home and it didn't take long for us to gain the lead. Again a corner but from the right this time. He aimed for the near post, it was cleared but only as far as Blake on the edge of the 18 yard box and he lashed a vicious looking volley past Pamma in the Leicester goal. We were still looking a bit shaky at the back but we managed to get another goal from a corner. Again, whipped in by Whelan to the near post. Warner's headed flick hit the bar and Horsfield cleaned things up from 4 yards out. We seemed to have settled at the back, Walton and Blake had chances to increase the lead but wasted them. Half time came around and a nervy start had turned into a good first half perfomance.

The second half began with me sipping on a cup of hot choc, eating a hot dog. The game died, no real chances from either side although we had more of the possession. With 20mins left Batty looked to inject some life into the game. Warner, Blake and Whelan came off for Hulse, Richardson and Derry. The game was still dull but the last 10mins brought us 2 goals. The first came when Harding dribbed out of his own half before pinging a brilliant ball ahead of Horsfield, he managed to hook it back across goal at the byline and Hulse made no mistake with his 6th goal of the season. The other came with a minute to go, Richardson wrestled the ball off Hughes before scampering down the wing, he played it to Hulse who crossed low and Horsfield slotted home completly unmarked. Great result, 7 points clear at the top...what more could you ask for? Douglas was named man of the match.

F/T: Leeds Utd 5-1 Leicester City

Chapter 35

Our offer for Pablo Vitti was accepted, the 20-year old looked good from the clips i saw on the news so hopefuly we can sign him and add some south american flair to our attack (not that it needs any more flair). With the transfer window drawing to a close more offers came in, one worth £2.4m for David Healy, it was turned down as soon as it was made so i hear. The other offers were for Kelly and Blake which were also turned down. Next week see's our biggest game of the season so far, we travel to Spurs hoping to kill another Premiership giant. Spurs are currently 5th in the league, chasing Manchester United for that last Champions League place, it's gonna be a tough match, especially without Kilgallon but i'm sure by the time the game comes we'll have a new defender in to aid us in our quest for the cup.

On the tuesday our bids for Agger and Jones were rejected but from what i hear we issued another bid to Crewe for Jones, believed to be in the region of £2.5m. He's supposed to be highly rated and it would be great to have him here as he fits the bill being only 18 years old. On the same day Michael Ricketts was released. He hasn't played a game all season and doesn't figure in Batty's future plans so his contract has been paid up and he'll leave by the end of the week. No big loss in my view. In the League Cup, Arsenal will play Bolton in the final. Arsenal thrashed Ipswich (justice!) while Bolton beat Everton to set up a top of the table clash for the Carling Cup final at the end of Ferbuary.

Thursday brought more disappointment in the transfer market as Pablo Vitti joined Independiente. Can't blame the lad, may have wanted to stay close to home. However our transfer saga's continued as Batty launched another raid for 20 year old full back Gary Borrowdale, the bid is supposed to be around the £900k mark so, hopefuly he's worth the money should Palace let him go. One player who is coming to Leeds is Billy Jones after Crewe accepted Batty's increased offer, he signed a 2 year deal much to the delight of the other fans but he won't be included in the squad to face Spurs as he is cup tied. Also our bid for Borrowdale was accepted.

Tottenham Hotspur Vs Leeds United, F.A. Cup 4th round: (Starting Line-Up) Bennett, Harding, Soley, Gregan ©, Kelly, Lewis, Douglas, Walton, Blake, Horsfield, Warner (Subs) Lancaster, Bocanegra, Richardson, Whelan, Healy.

The trip down to Spurs was good, lots of chat between the fans about our new signing, promotion and how bad England have become. We arrived in London full of Antisipation and were soon seated, ready for the game to get going. We were at full strength with Lewis returning and hoped he could make the difference.

The ref got things underway and we all cheered, but the cheering wouldn't be frequent. Spurs looked like a class act and while not full strength, they had some familar faces, Keane, Robinson, Lennon and even Bernard. They started very much in control of the match with us chasing them most of the time. They came close in the 8th minute, Davids got free of Walton and laced one right at Bennett, the ball came out and Keane headed over from 6 yards. We weren't looking good, they were starving Warner of the ball and after 20mins of pressure they took the lead. Gardener cleared, Gregan was too slow to get to the ball and Bernard crossed and found Keane almost unmarked. Let down as Soley looked half asleep at time. They continued to press but made nothing stick. We came into the game alot more, Lewis and Horsfield were causing problems and our first major chance came just before the half. Blake and Kelly linked up well before finding Walton and his through ball released Warner, his shot was saved well by Robinson. The half ended just as we were starting to threaten the Spurs goal.

After a cup of tea and a mars bar i was back in my seat for the second half. We started just as we'd finished, going at Spurs with all we had. Horsfield was playing like a man possessed. And then, it happened. We scored! Spurs were pushed forward, Kelly released a long hopeful pass which Horsfield collected, he ran it into the area and slotted home as cool as ya like at the near post. We were going insane in the away stand. As Chris Kamara would say, "Unbeleveeeeable!" We didn't let up either, Warner and Blake forcing a couple of great saves from Robinson. Batty made changes with half hour to go, Lewis coming off for Bocanegra who went to left back with Harding moving into left midfield and Richardson came on for Blake. We continued to press them and we were getting in behind them so many times it was really untrue. With 10mins left Batty ordered them to look for the win and look for it they did. Again we caught them off guard, Warner raced onto Richardson's long pass. He reached the area with options, Robinson came out, he squared it and Walton slammed the ball into the bottom corner from 12 yards. There isn't a word i can think of for the way we reacted. It was absolutly incredible. Little old Leeds United beating Big old Spurs...incredible. The last 10mins were nervey to say the least. Finally the 3rd official held up the board. 3 mins. However just as i was looking towards the board Robinson hoofed a free kick foward, Keane collected and laid off to Kelly who slipped through our wide open defence and drove it into the near corner. So close yet so far. It was disappointing but as the whistle came we could be proud of our perfomance. Soley was amazing in the 2nd half, didn't give em a sniff really and Walton at times was running rings round Davids. Soley was man of the match.

F/T: Tottenham Hotspur 2-2 Leeds United

Chapter 36

After the heroic's of our draw with Spurs things returned to normal for a couple of days. The rest of the cup games didn't really yield anything amazing. All the regulars were through to the next round although Man City, Newcastle and of course Spurs would all have to go through replays to get to the latter stages. Speaking of Newcastle though, the Monday morning draw for the 5th round pitted Sheffield Utd or Newcastle Utd against us or Spurs. So a win could mean either another big premiership tie or a Yorkshire derby and an easier route into the 6th round. Time would tell i suppose. Tuesday night will see us travel to Norwich. They are one of only 2 teams that i can think of who have stopped us scoring and the only team we've drew against all season...with the exception of Spurs that is. Billy Jones could start his first game as a Leeds Utd player but we'll have to wait and see what Batty does. Just before the match Borrowdale rejected a move so, he can get stuffed really. The reason in say this is because he felt a move to Leeds would be and i quote "A step down"..idiot.

Norwich City Vs Leeds United, Championship: (Starting Line-Up) Bennett, Harding, Soley, Gregan ©, Kelly, Lewis, Douglas, Walton, Blake, Horsfield, Warner (Subs) Lancaster, Bocanegra, Richardson, Whelan, Healy.

Noriwch go into this game having only conceded 8 goals at home all season, great record but we'd be hoping to add a few to that tally. I settled in with the missus and turned to the sports centre to keep track of the match. We kicked off but Norwich were the one's with the drive and it showed after 15mins. Ashton beat Harding to Drury's clearence and crossed for McKenzie to head home. We didn't lay down and take it though, 8 mins later we were level. Horsfield strength won through as Colin challenged and he powered a low shot past the keeper to even the scores. We had a couple more chances but we wasted them and we were made to pay. Henderson zipped a free kick in from the left and crossed for McKenzie, he nodded it out to the edge of the area and Doherty's first time shot was deflected in off Soley's leg and a minute later they had another. A short corner was collected by Henderson, he beat Blake and Walton before curling one into the top corner. We we sounded bloody useless. Half time couldn't come quicker and we were looking like falling to our 7th defeat of the season as the half ended.

The second half didn't bring much joy either, we were second best to everything and it wasn't long before Norwich extended their lead. Henderson played a free kick on the edge of the area short to Doherty, his shot across goal was palmed out right to the feet of Ashton who couldn't miss even if he tried to. Batty made changes after that, Warner, Walton and Lewis came off for Healy, Whelan and Bocanegra. We were still struggling and Ashton almost heaped more woe on us when he hit the cross bar from 20 yards. We managed to get a goal back, Bocanegra crossed and Healy got in a glancing header to soften the blow a little. The game ended and we trugged off the pitch. Disappointing in every sence of the word.

F/T: Norwich City 4-2 Leeds Utd

Chapter 37

As if defeat wasn't bad enough for us, fate added insult to injury. Bennett picked up a knock and will miss anything upto 2 weeks meaning Lancaster will get called in. After the game Batty looked far from pleased and promised changes for our next match at home to Sheffield Wednesday. He called the defence a shambles and the attack as blunt as a spoon. He was right in every sence of the word to be honest. The next day the monthly player awards were given out. Walton was the only one to win anything as he picked up Young player of the month but Hansey Aljofree became the first player none Leeds Utd player this season to pick up a player award. Chelsea sit top of the Premiership, 2 points ahead of both Arsenal and Bolton. Liverpool lay 4th with a game in hand over the teams above them. Here's the league and scorers charts as they stood at the end of January,

1. Leeds United (31) (23) (1) (7) (113) (39) 70pts

2. Crystal Palace (31) (19) (6) (6) (74) (38) 63pts

3. Southampton (31) (19) (6) (6) (56) (36) 63pts

4. Norwich City (31) (16) (8) (7) (50) (27) 56pts

5. Wolves (31) (16) (8) (7) (44) (27) 56pts

6. Cardiff City (31) (15) (7) (9) (50) (42) 52pts

Scorers table,

1. Matt Warner (Leeds United) 41 goals

2. Geoff Horsfield (Leeds United) 31 goals

3. Jon Macken (Crystal Palace) 23 goals

4. Andy Johnson (Crystal Palace) 19 goals

5. Dean Ashton (Norwich City) 18 goals

Even now looking over the tables i'm in slight awe. We've already broken the record for goals in a championship season and Warner having done already and Horsfield looking like he'll break the goal scoring records i'm even more confident that with 15 games to go were a shoe in for promotion. We still have yet to play Palace and Southampton away but thats for thinking about another day. Our lead remains in tact because Southampton lost 1-0 at home to Stoke meaning we have the only unbeaten home record now and i hope it stays in tact for the rest of the season.

Leeds United Vs Sheffield Wednesday, Championship: (Starting Line-Up) Lancaster, Harding, Jones, Gregan ©, Kelly, Douglas, Whelan, Derry, Blake, Horsfield, Healy. (Subs) Soley, Bocanegra, Richardson, Walton, Hulse.

As promised, changes were made, Jones, Derry and Healy came into the starting line-up with Warner being left out of the squad. It was a big match for us, last time they turned us over 3-1 but we needed a win to keep the confidence up. The whistle sounded and the game began although it started tamely. We had more of the ball but didn't really create. Healy and Horsfield had oppertunities but wasted them really. Generally we were becoming more and more dominant and around half way through we gained the lead. Whelan was brought down 25 yards from goal and Blake delivered the perfect free kick which just got inside the near post. Great goal and a more than welcome sight. Sheff Wednesday came into the game a little more and were causing problems and they looked like they'd got an equaliser as Graham got away from Jones but his goal was disallowed for offside. I breathed a sigh of relief. With the half approaching we turned it up a little bit and again found the net. Derry won the ball brilliantly in midfield, played it to Healy. He took the carried to ball, drawing defenders to him before releasing to Horsfield who caught the keeper off his line with a beautiful first time lob. The crowd enjoyed it and he looked like he did aswell. The whistle came with a cheer and most disappeared to get some food. I just sat and had a cig while i waited.

The second half started and where do i begin? I'd love to go into great detail about all this but i can't, if i did i'd be giving you details on the other 9 goals we managed to score. Healy netted 5, Whelan scored a 30 yard screamer, Jones scored on his debut from 25 yards after a corner wasn't cleared properly, Horsfield got another one before being subsituted. Douglas chipped the keeper at the byline and scored a wonder goal and Peacock missed a penalty. Healy was named man of the match. Job done really.

Leeds United 11-0 Sheffield Wednesday

Chapter 38

If the win wasn't good enough already, Palace lost to Plymouth 1-0 and Southampton were beaten 4-3 by Cardiff meaning we had a 10 point lead at the top of the table. Jones was incredible, confident and assured, never looked in danger of being beaten be it on the ground or in the air. Now people know why we paid close to £3m for him, great defending, fabulous passing and good for a goal and Lancaster, didn't have much to do but when he did have do something he did it well. Great distribution and a good pair of hands on top, i feel alot better knowing he can do the job when he has to. On monday i was sat in the office, looking through the PlanetFootball website while i ate my lunch and i almost choked when i saw this,

"Warner called up to England squad."

It's about damn time, i was beginning to think Sven didn't read the papers. England were due to face Turkey and i was made up for the lad, he's been the best in the league by a country mile this term. One thing i did forget to mention was who England were drawn with for the World Cup group stages. We ended up with Ghana, Jamaica and that other nobody team called Brazil. A good group all in all, 2 wins should be good enough for us to go through. However we would kick of Germany 2006 with our opening game against the worlds best team so, it was looking bigger and bigger by the day. A week passed and again i found myself in my seat at Elland Road for our huge F.A. Cup 4th round replay against Spurs.

Leeds United Vs Tottenham Hotspur, F.A. Cup 4th round replay: (Starting Line-Up) Bennett, Harding, Bocanegra, Gregan ©, Kelly, Douglas, Whelan, Derry, Horsfield, Healy (Subs) Lancaster, Nyatanga, Richardson, Walton, Warner.

Only changes to the side which battered Sheff Wednesday were Bocanegra replacing the cup tied Jones and Bennett returning from injury, otherwise it's the same squad. We were singing well before we kicked off and when we did the singing slowly stopped. The game started slowly but it soon stopped completely for us as Spurs took the lead. Mido skinned Bocanegra before slotting it home and they added a second a few minutes later. Lennon's cross found Mido's head, his effort hit the bar and Keane got away from his man to finish. We perked up after that and began to control the game. Horsfield and Healy were both getting closer and closer while Douglas was causing problems down the left flank with Harding. The half ended and we looked alot better but we were still struggling to cope with Mido and Keane's excellent link up play.

The second half was one of the most boring i've seen, neither side created chances to make things more interesting. Batty changed things around not long after the half started, Healy, Douglas and Derry were replaced by Warner, Nyatanga and Walton but it didn't inject any spark into the game and our F.A. Cup challenge ended with a whimper. We weren't out done to be perfectly honest but we didn't look the same side as the one who came so close to beating them a few weeks ago.

Leeds United 0-2 Tottenham Hotspur

Chapter 39

The defeat was disappointing but we'd have our chance to make things right next season i was hoping. With both cups out of the way the team could concentrate fully on the league and our last 14 games of the season. The last stretch of the season starts away to Stoke. I reckon they'll be changes but i have no idea who.

Stoke City Vs Leeds United, Championship: (Starting Line-Up) Bennett, Harding, Jones, Gregan ©, Kelly, Lewis, Soley, Walton, Blake, Horsfield, Warner (Subs) Lancaster, Bocanegra, Richardson, Douglas, Hulse.

We kicked off the game and Stoke took advantage with just 40 seconds on the clock. Bangoura got away from Gregan with ease and powered home a header to give them the lead. Crap start but after that we settled quickly and started creating chances, sadly though Stoke were equal to everything we threw at them, Simonsen making some wonderful saves to foil our strikers. With 25mins gone we managed to find a way back into the game. Blake switched the play with a lovely cross field pass, Lewis made space for himself and crossed for Warner who headed into the top corner for his first goal in 6 games. We were back in it and we weren't letting up, constant attack almost but again we paid the price for defending poorly. Gallagher got ahead of Jones and tapped in Lettinga's low cross on the brink of half time, Batty didn't seem a happy man. Half time followed straight after and we looked very out of sorts.

We were struggling in a big way to cope with the cleaver play of Bougoura and Gallagher but Warner was looking good and alot more lively than he has in recent weeks. The second half started and we almost got back on level terms, Horsfields header forcing a save. After that we continued to attack but wasted out chances. Richardson managed to get free in the 18 yard box but shot wide from 12 yards and Lewis missed a sitter, hitting the side netting instead of the open goal. The game ended and it was another poor performance. Our form is starting to slip and i hate to say it but were really missing Kilgallon's presence at the back.

F/T: Stoke City 2-1 Leeds United

Despite the defeat, Sky Sports news confirmed that Leeds had offered David Batty a new 4 year contract after his fantastic work at the club since joining in June 2005 and he promptley accepted the deal, much to the delight of Ken Bates. In a press conference he made it known that he and the board were amazed by the way he's taken the club to the top of the league and are hoping he can lead us to bigger and better things. Sean Gregan spoke on behalf of the players (as captains do) and spoke of his joy that Batty would be at the helm next season. As for me, i think he's a brilliant manager and i reckon he's the one who can lead us back into Europe some day.

Chapter 40

Milwall Vs Leeds United, Chamiponship: (Starting Line-Up) Bennett, Harding, Jones, Gregan ©, Kelly, Lewis, Douglas, Walton, Blake, Healy, Warner. (Subs) Lancaster, Bocanegra, Richardson, Whelan, Horsfield.

Again we were away and hopfuly Batty signing a new deal can give the squad enough boost to inspire a win. We kicked off the action after winning the coin toss and my wishes for a boost were granted. It would take me a while to go into things but by the time 25mins had come round on the score board we were 5-0 up. Warner netted an impressive hat trick, 2 well times volleys and one headed goal. Healy scored a fabulous chip as we caught them on the break and Blake beat 2 men before shooting through a crowded penalty area to score his 11th goal of the season to put us in cruise control. Just before the half time whistle came Millwall got one back through Simpson, he collected a pass with his back to goal, turned and shot past a slow looking Bennett to make it 1-5 at the half.

The second half started at a slower pace that the first. Millwall were making alot more chances for themselves but nothing spectactular, we were the same and with 20mins to go Batty changed things around. Warner came off for Horsfield and Whelan replaced Douglas in the centre and both made the difference. Whelan was first to add his say to the game, he dribbled the ball from his own area before dinking the ball over the top of the defence. Horsfield collected and laid off to Healy who smashed home low at the near post and Healy completed his hat trick 30seconds later. Straight from kick off Millwall gifted the ball to Lewis, he ran it down the wing quickly and crossed for Healy to glance home a header and his hat trick goal. Millwall started to create alot more and Simpson almost punished us again as he ran almost unchalleged through the middle before shooting against the cross bar. With a few moments left we added to our fantastic scoring record. Blake won the ball well in the final 3rd of the pitch. He moved into the 18 yard box, laid it back and Whelan fired a rocket from the edge of the area which hit Millwall where it hurt once more. The game ended, we had the 3 points and could go home happier. Healy was named man of the match.

F/T: Millwall 1-8 Leeds United

In other results Southampton lost 4-1 away to QPR while Crystal Palace won. The Champions League also resumed with Everton coming close to a massive upset, they were 3-2 up a minute to go before Vieri equalised. A good draw for them but tough going to the San Siro. Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal picked up wins, although nothing as spectacular as Everton's result. Middlesborough anmd Liverpool progressed in the Uefa cup. We recieved some bad news, Jones picked up his 5th yellow of the season in the Milwall game and will serve a 1 match ban. He's impressed me so far this season, he looks like a very talented and confident player. The next Jonny Woodgate perhaps? Another player who will miss out will be Matt Warner who in training pulled up with Injury meaning he won't play for England in their friendly with Turkey. It's really unlucky for the lad as he's just started scoring goals after a small drought but i'm sure he'll bounce back. He'll be out for a minimum of 2 weeks with a pulled hamstring.

Chapter 41

Brighton and Hove Albion Vs Leeds United, Championship: (Starting Line-Up) Bennett, Harding, Bocanegra, Gregan ©, Kelly, Lewis, Douglas, Walton, Blake, Hulse, Healy. (Subs) Lancaster, Nyatanga, Richardson, Whelan, Horsfield.

Leeds start with a new attacking partnership in Hulse and Healy. Many believed this would be the main pairing for the entire season but neither has had much luck with injuries. Both have played well when they've started so we'll have to see how well they link up. We kicked things off and as normal, took the lead after a few minutes. Walton dispossessed Winter and threaded a ball through the middle. Hulse got on the end of it and shot first time into the bottom corner to give us the lead after just 4mins. We kept up the pressure but didn't really come close to adding another until the 27th minute. Walton again at the heart of it as he dribbled down the middle before passing left to Douglas, he found space and shot into the top corner from 18 yards to double the lead. Another good goal for him. The game evened out, mainly being played in the middle of the park, both defences equal to what was throw at them. Half time came and we went in the happier.

The second half began with nothing of real interest worth mentioning. We weren't troubled by brighton in the slightest and half way through the half changes were made. Nytanga came on for Lewis and Healy made way for Horsfield. We started to press down a little but harder and soon found ourselves with a pentalty. Hardings strong run was halted by a Dublin foul in the area leaving them with no excuse. Blake stepped up but the keeper saved the penalty and the rebound brilliantly to frustrate us. Not long after however Blake made up for it by latching onto Gregan's through ball and directing it past the on coming keeper. Horsfield added a 4th before half time. Blake pestering them down the right before crossing, the ball pinged around before it landed at the feet of Horsfield who just had to tap it into the net. The game ended shortly after, Hulse came close and Brighton forced a finger tip save from Bennett but we collect the 3 points and looked good throughout. Walton was man of the match.

Brighton and Hove Albion 0-4 Leeds United

The sunday saw Bolton take on Arsenal in the league cup final. It was a great game, not a dull moment throughout. Arsenal won 4-2 but Bolton put up a good fight from start to finish. Gilberto, Reyes (2) and Ljungberg got the goals for Arsenal while Davis and Nolan netted for Bolton. Crystal Palace also lost, they went down 2-1 at Selhurst Park to Sheffield Wednesday. Speaking of Wednesday, the moring brought around the monthly player awards. Walton again scoped young player with Jones in second. Blake won player of the month and Whelan's goal against Sheff Wednesday got him goal of the month. The Premiership table makes for interesting reading. Chelsea lead Bolton and Arsenal by 5 points, Liverpool sit 6 points behind the champions in 4th with a game in hand while Fulham, Blackburn and Wigan occupy the relegation places. Here's how the Championship looked at the start of March,

1. Leeds United (35) (26) (1) (8) (137) (42) 79pts

2. Southampton (36) (21) (7) (8) (65) (46) 70pts

3. Crystal Palace (35) (20) (7) (8) (80) (45) 67pts

4. Norwich City (35) (17) (10) (8) (53) (31) 61pts

5. Wolves (35) (17) (10) (8) (51) (34) 61pts

6. Cardiff City (35) (17) (10) (8) (51) (36) 61pts

Scorers charts,

1. Matt Warner (Leeds United) 45 goals

2. Geoff Horsfield (Leeds United) 34 goals

3. Jon Macken (Crystal Palace) 23 goals

4. Andy Johnson (Crystal Palace) 21 goals

5. Stefan Moore (QPR) 20 goals

Chapter 42

With just 11 games left of the season the whole community around Leeds Utd was in boyant mood. We still had a fair way to go but with a game in hand and a 9 point lead at the top things were looking good and by now i was praying that we won the league as i'd be the proud owner of 30,000 english pounds as would my brothers and dad who also put money on us to win the league. Our next game would be our first one at home in a while and we'd be hosting Hull City. Greagan is suspended and Warner is still missing with injury.

Leeds United Vs Hull City, Championship: (Starting Line-Up) Bennett, Harding, Jones, Bocanegra, Kelly ©, Lewis, Douglas, Walton, Blake, Hulse, Healy. (Subs) Lancaster, Nyatanga, Richardson, Whelan, Horsfield.

My dad, brothers and i settled into our seat, the usual talk of Leeds Utd and other household crap kept us entertained until the teams stepped out for the start of the match and Hull got things going and we almost gained the lead straight away. Douglas cleared and Hulse beat the offside trap but the keeper saved as he was trying to round him. We did take the lead though after 15mins of play, Walton was fouled in the area, the ref gave the penalty and Blake fired straight down the middle to give us the lead. We looked for a second but Hull began to peg us into our own half and they soon found an equaliser. Woodhouse played a long ball through the middle, Bocanegra was second best and McPhee volleyed low past Bennett from 12 yards. They had another 5 mins before half time, McPhee again only this time Welsh's cross from deep was met with a header which beat Bennett at his near post. They kept on pressing us aswell and we were looking sluggish to say the least. We didn't roll over though and the chants from the home support drove the lads on. Blake found Healy with a forward pass, his cross from the byline was terrible but Lewis collected on the left wing and whipped it in to the unmarked Hulse who made no mistake with the header. 2-2 at half time and a very even match so far.

The second half was a little delayed but the action soon resumed and we went searching for the lead. However again we looked sloppy at the back and we were made to pay when Bocanegra again was second best to the ball, McPhee got on the end of Barmby's cross and nudged the ball past Bennett to complete his hat-trick. We didn't really look like getting the equaliser, even when Horsfield, Whelan and Richardson came on to add a bit of pow to our attack. The game ended tamely and the Elland Road fortress came crashing down. Our first home defeat of the season and a massivly disappointing one.

F/T: Leeds United 2-3 Hull City

Despite the disappointment of losing, we took some joy from the fact that both our title rivals also lost. Southampton were beaten 1-0 away to Burnley while Palaces trip to Millwall yielded a 2-1 defeat for them so we still have our 9 point lead going into the last 10 games of the season. Were on the home straight and so close to an epic title win. Yes, ok it's only the championship but it's a piece of silverware and hopefuly the first of many piece's under David Batty's guidence.

Archived