FMH FAQ & Thread Index

Could the stars be changed (the ones used for scout ratings)? I find it hard to see how many there actually are. I'm sure the PC version had this problem and that was eventually changed.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Brilliant game love it, I had a issue last night during a game where the game flipped to match display Barry ran to the touchline with the bay then nothing happened for about 10 seconds, no movement or anything , then moved back to text display and city had scored. Same thing happened again with the opposition and the match display stopped( it does not freeze but they all stand still) and the opposition had scored.

I have turned back to text only. Only problem I have encountered in almost 6 hours of play.

I assume it may have been a memory issue.

I don't know if this is meant to happen or not. I have seen some fluctuations in my player stats, in a short space of time. Some of my players would have a 2-3 point increase to most attributes say at the beginning of the month, and then by the middle of the month, go back to their original ratings, only for them to go up again at the end of the month.

This happens in spells and multiple players are affected (ie all will have increase or decrease in ratings together.)

(I noticed this first when I was surprised to find that a 20 year old forward in my squad suddenly had so many numbers in the green!)

Is this supposed to reflect training results?

I don't know if this is meant to happen or not. I have seen some fluctuations in my player stats, in a short space of time. Some of my players would have a 2-3 point increase to most attributes say at the beginning of the month, and then by the middle of the month, go back to their original ratings, only for them to go up again at the end of the month.

This happens in spells and multiple players are affected (ie all will have increase or decrease in ratings together.)

(I noticed this first when I was surprised to find that a 20 year old forward in my squad suddenly had so many numbers in the green!)

Is this supposed to reflect training results?

IIRC I have seen a reply from Marc about this: the fluctuation in attributes are due to training and due to form; this occurs in the full game too.

• SI Staff
Marc any ideas?

For some people doing a hard reset on their device to clear their memory has fixed the issue.

With others as far as I can tell the operating system is terminating the game before the automatic save has been completed, I honestly don't know why it would do this (and its not something we've seen in QA here). I've changed the save process for the first update (in QA testing now - hopefully out in the relatively near future) so that it will save to a 'neutral' file and then rename it to a new file name once its been successful. This should prevent the 'loss' of save games such as you've seen where the OS has left the game effectively 'half saved' for some reason.

Until thsi update is released could you please use the manual save option which is found in Options - Save Game.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Marc

Relegation from Brazilian Second Division doesn't seem to be working properly in the game, ex: in one savegame Bragantino, Juventude, Duque de Caxias and Vila Nova (GO) were supposed to be relegated, but only Vila Nova (GO) were actually relegated.

For some people doing a hard reset on their device to clear their memory has fixed the issue.

With others as far as I can tell the operating system is terminating the game before the automatic save has been completed, I honestly don't know why it would do this (and its not something we've seen in QA here). I've changed the save process for the first update (in QA testing now - hopefully out in the relatively near future) so that it will save to a 'neutral' file and then rename it to a new file name once its been successful. This should prevent the 'loss' of save games such as you've seen where the OS has left the game effectively 'half saved' for some reason.

Until thsi update is released could you please use the manual save option which is found in Options - Save Game.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Marc

Thanks but I manual save anyway but I'll wait for the next update Thanks :)

Spotted a bug just now.

Was in the dying minutes of a match, all 3 subs used, when my GK got injured. So I swapped one of my forwards to play in the GK position. Confirmed the change, went back to the player ratings screen.

Funnily enough, the first player on my team list then became the left back, a duplicated player???

Originally -

GK Julio Cesar

LB D. Wilson

CB W. Samuel

etc...

After the GK swap -

GK D. Wilson

LB D. Wilson

CB W. Samuel

etc...

Even though I put Quaresma to play in GK.

first of all, congrats on the game, bit better than what I was expecting since it's the first version for the iphone.

now some rant / things that should be improved (I'm playing benfica fwiw):

- drag n' drop, well this just drives me crazy, holding up a player, trying to scroll the screen while holding it, can hardly see what I'm dragging cause it's under my finger and 75% of times I end up dropping it over the wrong player. there must surely be a better way to do it, so please find it :)

- finally found out that you could demote players (all the loaned players in my squad were driving me crazy too), so I demoted a lot of them. Now where are they? I don't have a reserves team (or at least don't know where to find it)...

- changing tactics during a match, this is another headache, it's hard and not intuitive. You have to select a different tactic, you are sent to the match screen, have to tap "tactics" again to rearrange your players to fit the tactic, and there is really hard to arrange the team when you're not seeing a pitch with the players placed. the best way would be to have a pitch like the "team selection" one but where you could switch the players... right now it's not user friendly at all...

- the match screen doesn't hold memory of the settings of the last match, eg. if you choose to see the "player ratings", they won't be default selected for the next one. this doesn't seem to be much important but it really makes a difference

- players condition always 100% before a match. is this normal?

- finally found out that you could demote players (all the loaned players in my squad were driving me crazy too), so I demoted a lot of them. Now where are they? I don't have a reserves team (or at least don't know where to find it)...

I don't know if this is the right way but you can still access all players, reserve or not, from Training under the squad area. HTH

• SI Staff
- drag n' drop, well this just drives me crazy, holding up a player, trying to scroll the screen while holding it, can hardly see what I'm dragging cause it's under my finger and 75% of times I end up dropping it over the wrong player. there must surely be a better way to do it, so please find it

If you click on a players team position icon (to the left of their name) on the squad page then you'll be taken to a page where you can click select their position.

Most pages have mulitple selection methods people some people love the drag and drop (those with small fingers generally ;) ) and some don't ...

• SI Staff
Might be me being stupid but I can't find an easy way of looking at other league standings other than my own unless I'm viewing their match results?

I presume you mean the league tables? - if you go into the 'competitions' area then the view other competitions states by selecting the appropriate area (you can see international comps & european comps from here as well as the usual domestic leagues/cups).

If you click on a players team position icon (to the left of their name) on the squad page then you'll be taken to a page where you can click select their position.

Most pages have mulitple selection methods people some people love the drag and drop (those with small fingers generally ;) ) and some don't ...

yes Marc, that way is better, but it should nevertheless switch the player positions when you do that, eg. click on SUB1 select AMC then the former player at AMC should become SUB1. atm that player stays with no position and SUB1 stays free. thanks for the reply though

I presume you mean the league tables? - if you go into the 'competitions' area then the view other competitions states by selecting the appropriate area (you can see international comps & european comps from here as well as the usual domestic leagues/cups).

hummm this brings me more questions... can you chose more than 1 domestic league (from different countries)? maybe I'm a bit thick but when creating a new game I can only chose a country. if not then does that mean you can not manage in a league different from the one you started with (by being approached by a dif club)?

- changing tactics during a match, this is another headache, it's hard and not intuitive. You have to select a different tactic, you are sent to the match screen, have to tap "tactics" again to rearrange your players to fit the tactic, and there is really hard to arrange the team when you're not seeing a pitch with the players placed. the best way would be to have a pitch like the "team selection" one but where you could switch the players... right now it's not user friendly at all...

- players condition always 100% before a match. is this normal?

I agree it is annoying that one is sent back to the match screen. On your other point it would be nice to be able to choose how this is arranged perhaps in the same way as normal team selection with pitch on view but I find having the team on the left and subs on the right makes changes quick and easy.

Player conditions definitely vary before a match and are not always 100%.

I agree it is annoying that one is sent back to the match screen. On your other point it would be nice to be able to choose how this is arranged perhaps in the same way as normal team selection with pitch on view but I find having the team on the left and subs on the right makes changes quick and easy.

subs on the right is ok. but above it could be some tabs "pitch" "subs" "..." that would toggle that area.

Just a quick annoyance. I'm Arsenal in the Premiership and cannot click on the scores of any of the Premiership games that pop up to see who scored in those games.

When the Championship and lower ones come up, I can click in and see them fine.

Is this just me? Have I done something wrong?

Also, when playing in the Premiership is it possible to see a list of Spanish/French/Itallian etc teams, or their current league table as I'd like to go through the teams and look at their players to find them instead of using the player search. I tried to find Gignac and had no luck whatsoever.. even though he's one of the best up and coming strikers in France :confused:

Just a quick annoyance. I'm Arsenal in the Premiership and cannot click on the scores of any of the Premiership games that pop up to see who scored in those games.

When the Championship and lower ones come up, I can click in and see them fine.

Is this just me? Have I done something wrong?

Also, when playing in the Premiership is it possible to see a list of Spanish/French/Itallian etc teams, or their current league table as I'd like to go through the teams and look at their players to find them instead of using the player search. I tried to find Gignac and had no luck whatsoever.. even though he's one of the best up and coming strikers in France :confused:

1) You can only see scorers/red carded players/injuries of other matches on the same matchday. Afterwards it is not possible.

2) You can't see other countries' leagues.

3) Missing players probably due to fact that they have a lower reputation and didn't make the cut when your game was generated when the engine had to 'cut out' many players outside your chosen country/league.

1) You can only see scorers/red carded players/injuries of other matches on the same matchday. Afterwards it is not possible.

2) You can't see other countries' leagues.

3) Missing players probably due to fact that they have a lower reputation and didn't make the cut when your game was generated when the engine had to 'cut out' many players outside your chosen country/league.

1) I seem to be able to go through the Championship/League 1/League 2's match stats for at least 5 weeks. I can't even see the Premiership stats on the same day they happen?

2) This feature I'm going to miss a lot. On the PC FM, I often just search through different clubs looking at their players. A club search feature to at least see what players those clubs have that I can look at would be useful.

3) Very worried about the database if there are apparently 20,000 players and players like Gignac, one of France's top strikers, aren't in the game..

It's okay so far but am currently thinking I should have waited for the demo as I would never have paid £6.99 for this as it is. It's very light and basically cut down to the point you can only operate within your own country.

subs on the right is ok. but above it could be some tabs "pitch" "subs" "..." that would toggle that area.

I'm assuming there is a reason for why tabs aren't generally used in the interface and there isn't a lot of space on screen; I expect an option for pitch visibility could be included as with the team selection.

• SI Staff
I'm assuming there is a reason for why tabs aren't generally used in the interface and there isn't a lot of space on screen; I expect an option for pitch visibility could be included as with the team selection.

Tabs are generally avoided in my programs because they cause natural problems with regards to localised version of the game looking different (as different languages have longer or shorter strings for the same text) - thus having buttons with lots of space (as in the menus on FMHi) makes localisation into the various languages much easier and gives a 'standard' presentation to the game.

• SI Staff
1) I seem to be able to go through the Championship/League 1/League 2's match stats for at least 5 weeks. I can't even see the Premiership stats on the same day they happen?

I'll check this its probably down to a nuance in the order of processing - the game stores 'x' number of match stats per day; this is based simply on the matches in the league the humans in and then 'x - number of human league matches' more from elsewhere.

I'm guessing that the Premiership is for some reason being processed last and so on intensive days its stats aren't being stored.

(to test this theory try viewing Premiership matches from a sunday when there are fewer other matches)

2) This feature I'm going to miss a lot. On the PC FM, I often just search through different clubs looking at their players. A club search feature to at least see what players those clubs have that I can look at would be useful.

Noted - I'll consider that for the future.

3) Very worried about the database if there are apparently 20,000 players and players like Gignac, one of France's top strikers, aren't in the game..

There are 20,000 in total in the game, in an individual game some are 'culled' from the database in the same manner that is done in FM PC (otherwise the game would be much too slow for most people to enjoy).

We have however increased the database size somewhat for the forthcoming update you'll be glad to know.

• SI Staff
hummm this brings me more questions... can you chose more than 1 domestic league (from different countries)? maybe I'm a bit thick but when creating a new game I can only chose a country. if not then does that mean you can not manage in a league different from the one you started with (by being approached by a dif club)?

No in FMH iPhone only one nations leagues are active at a time; this is simply due to the memory/processor restrictions on the device and may change for future versions of the game (presuming this one sells well enough to warrant future versions) as we learn more about the nuances of the device and further optimise things.

In terms of future sales I think the information given on the AppStore really needs improving to try and prevent the ignorant idiots who cannot seem to read the manual, look at the website or operate even the simplest aspects of the game from unduly reducing the stars/reviews given and effecting future sales.

Lots of people won't buy it if the stars aren't high enough and they see a load of annoying moaning reviews.

Just have a quick look at the UK review comments.

In terms of future sales I think the information given on the AppStore really needs improving to try and prevent the ignorant idiots who cannot seem to read the manual, look at the website or operate even the simplest aspects of the game from unduly reducing the stars/reviews given and effecting future sales.

Lots of people won't buy it if the stars aren't high enough and they see a load of annoying moaning reviews.

I have to agree; it is really annoying!

• SI Staff

This is the nature of iPhone gaming to be honest and rather than complain about people not looking for this information I aim to try and make it more easily available for them and also to help make the game more accessible (without dumbing it down).

The first part of this you'll see partially in the forthcoming first update to the game where I've integrated a basic FAQ into the game to answer some of the more common queries that people have had with using it (how to play music in game etc.).

This is the nature of iPhone gaming to be honest and rather than complain about people not looking for this information I aim to try and make it more easily available for them and also to help make the game more accessible (without dumbing it down).

The first part of this you'll see partially in the forthcoming first update to the game where I've integrated a basic FAQ into the game to answer some of the more common queries that people have had with using it (how to play music in game etc.).

Cool, just hate to see 'my' SI get a load of undeserved grief.

Will stand by the AppStore info not quite covering what it needs to, the FAQ idea is great but people would actually have to buy it to get the benefit.

It's interesting as it's the first time in a while that SI have gone onto a new platform and with the iPhone/AppStore being so different to the normal markets major developers sell to.

It's like this all over the App Store. There really are some idiots about! Most of which just don't read the app info / description before installing it and then moan about the stupidest of things!

I could understand low star-ratings if accompanied by some constructive criticism. However most of the time it's just the mindless drivel of somebody who seems like they barely have the intelligence to remember how to breath never mind operate an iPhone!

For example I recently downloaded the Eurosport App as my cousin decided to get married on the weekend that the MotoGP started (inconsiderate I know!). It basically streams the live broadcast of EuroSport 1 and 2 for the modest sum of £2.39 for a months viewing or £23.99 for a year. The App itself is free. This information is all clearly explained in the App description. Yet there are lots of one-star review along the lines of

"Ha what a joke. I pay a fortune for sky. Then Eurosport expect me to pay to watch clips on there app." :rolleyes:

Personally I thought the app was great. It's a good picture and it streamed pretty smoothly on 3G as well as WiFi. All for the price of a pint.

But hey ho! If you gave most users the moon on a stick via the app store, they'd moan that it costs 59p!

It's like this all over the App Store. There really are some idiots about! Most of which just don't read the app info / description before installing it and then moan about the stupidest of things.

Yep but this is the first time I've been really annoyed by it, guess it's cos I feel a sense of ownership of the FM brand having played the PC games since it all started too many years ago to mention!

I've also been a tester for them for a while and know how much effort SI put into their games and trying to keep fans happy.

• 2 weeks later...

As a long time PC player (from CM3 - yes I am that old) and first time iPhone player, firstly congrats Marc, a great effort and a brilliant commute killer.

A couple of points I'd throw in the ring:

1) A player attribute filter when searching would be really helpful as someone else mentioned paging through 22 pages of players looking for "the one" is really frustrating.

2) A proper player/team search as in the PC version would be great.

3) As mentioned Drag and drop sucks and is really clunky.

4) Database size is poor. iPhones have gig's of space, I don't believe that we can't have bigger database to choose from. Perhaps an option for 3gs and upward to have extra regens created at the start (to avoid having a huge download from the app store)

5) The ability to hire your backroom staff would be useful. How do I know that my AssMan/Scouts are any good?

Finally but really annoyingly, how the heck do I see my/other teams reserve teams?

• SI Staff
As a long time PC player (from CM3 - yes I am that old) and first time iPhone player, firstly congrats Marc, a great effort and a brilliant commute killer.

Glad you're enjoying it :D

1) A player attribute filter when searching would be really helpful as someone else mentioned paging through 22 pages of players looking for "the one" is really frustrating.

I'm looking at this as something to potentially add for update 3 - HOWEVER its not quite as easy as it might seem because it can't lock up the device while processing otherwise incoming calls etc. would potentially fubar your game.

(not saying it can't be done - just trying to explain why its taking a little while to work out)

2) A proper player/team search as in the PC version would be great.

Sensible idea - will try and look into it, but no promises.

3) As mentioned Drag and drop sucks and is really clunky.

The squad selection/subs is something which we're looking at improving (as I presume this is what you're really referring to?) ...

Do also try the alternative systems for selection, generally speaking I've found people tend to have a 'hard' preference for one or the other (click the players 'position' button next to their name instead of dragging it and you'll be taken to a page where you can set his selected team position.

4) Database size is poor. iPhones have gig's of space, I don't believe that we can't have bigger database to choose from. Perhaps an option for 3gs and upward to have extra regens created at the start (to avoid having a huge download from the app store)

To have a huge database in a game you need three things:

* Storage space (iPhone has this in spades as you mention)

* Memory (the iPhone has more memory than a PSP but FAR less than a PC, older iPhones are very restricted in this regard)

* Processing speed (compared to a PC iPhones are SLLOOOWW, especially the older models)

Because of this the database size available is unfortunately going to be somewhat limited compared to the PC game, however imho its pretty darn decent really and actually if you compare it to the database sizes used back in CM3 its larger than a single league db from that ;)

5) The ability to hire your backroom staff would be useful. How do I know that my AssMan/Scouts are any good?

Your AssMan/Scouts are active as if they have roughly '15' stats across the board in the PC game if that helps (so 'good' but not perfect).

Backroom staff in some capacity is something I'll consider going forward BUT I think its important to keep the game fast and easy to play so I don't want to bog people down with lots of things if possible ...

Finally but really annoyingly, how the heck do I see my/other teams reserve teams?

You can only see yours - look in the 'Info' page for your club and you'll see a reference to the reserve team, click on it and you'll be taken there.

• 2 weeks later...

Marc, I've read your posts on the vision/direction you have on FMHi development, and I wholeheartedly agree. FMHi is and should never be intended to be replace FM. So I'm a little miffed at some of the suggestions that either make the game too slow and/or too overly complicated. If you like to pour over stats, analyse them closely before you make a decision, or like to micro-manage your players/staff, then FM is the game. Please consider this: FMHi is on the iPhone, people play it either during breaks or commute (moving vehicle), or before bedtime. At either time, IMHO it's hard to enjoy FMHi if you have to consider too many factors before you make a decision in the game. That is why I strongly advocate making FHMi a more streamlined managing experience than FM. Recalling one of the press conference questions in FM, FMHi managers style would be somewhere between Hands Off approach and I Trust My Players/Staff approach.

Let's take the issue of Backroom Staff stats. Currently, you set them at 15. Some people would like the feature to replace them with better ones, or determine their stats based on club size. IMHO, this is the wrong approach. Adding Backroom Staff recruitment feature and/or not having confidence in your Backroom Staff (therefore you're forced on relying on your own judgement - some people like/capable of this, either due to better knowledge of FM or simply being good analysts, but I would bet that the majority of the FMHi users are not, we always welcome inputs that allow us to make better, informed decision) would only add more factors in the decision making process. Sure, this can be solved by thinking harder, but considering when and where the game is played, the time is simply not there. In the 15 minutes left of on my lunch break, I would like be able to go through a match. Or a month of game time, if I'm in commute. How can I do this if I have to spend most of my time flipping back and forth between Fletcher and Hargreaves to see who's the better MC. I should trust my Staff input on this. Even if I eventually get it right on my own, the information is lost is because my playing time is up for the day and I have other things to do. If I know my Staff input is reliable and consistent, it'd only takes 2 seconds to know.

Anyway, I fully realize some people (especially those already skilled in the game) wouldn't like the game helping them too much. Then again, when they're confident of their own skills, they won't rely on Staff input either. And those who are not, suffer. But you can simply put this as an option. It's there if you want it, and only if you want it. A win-win approach.

Sorry if it's too long of a post. I hope it can at least give -you- a decent feedback, Marc. :D

• 1 month later...
  • SI Staff

Quite all right.

You can sell players whenever you get an offer from a club for them, this shows up via. the news page.

If you want to specifically shift a player then you can transfer list them from their action menu or in extreme circumstances offer them out to other clubs (if you really want to get shot of them).

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought FM2010 app from the itunes store. Downloaded ok but when I try syncing it to my ipod it won't install. An error keeps occuring everytime. The error is OxE00000B. Followed all the troubleshooting instructions from the Ipod/Itunes website still not installing. Can you let me know what the problem is? Thanks.

• SI Staff

The most common cause of problems with installing applications onto an iTouch/iPhone is when that iPhone hasn't been rebooted for quite a while and isn't feeling particularly 'pukka' (also often shows up via. applications randomly 'exiting').

To fix this hold down the 'on/off' button for a couple of seconds, a page should appear indicating 'swipe to power off' - swipe where its indicated and the device will power down fully.

If you now turn it on again it'll take a couple of seconds to power up BUT hopefully you'll find syncing works.

If it doesn't then please email me (marc.vaughan@sigames.com) and I'll look into things further for you.

PS - Please bear in mind though that these are issues with Apples iStore and not our software (ie. I'll be able to talk you through likely fixes but can't change the cause of the problems or software involved).

PPS - Can you please let me know your device type, OS version and whether your device is unlocked or not (as a similar code 0x800006B is apparently linked to jail broken phones and I want to discount this being the cause of your issues).

• 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff
1) you can save more than one game

You can do this already - Go to 'Options' and select 'Save Game' - then select the save slot you want to save into (there are four available).

2)you can manage say celtic then fulham

This is quite a technical challenge as it vastly increases the processing and memory requirements for the game; I hope to introduce it in a future version if its possible.

3)compare players

This is something I'll also look into in the future - however its a challenge to find an intuitive UI for selecting the players to compare and also to present all the information in the limited space, I agree its something which would be nice to add though.

• SI Staff
Hi, I'm just wondering if it's possible to take a save game to a different iPhone?

I believe if you backup your phone and then restore it then you'll take your save game information (say you replace or upgrade your phone) - HOWEVER I haven't ever personally done this so please try and get it verified from someone who has before attempting it.

Archived