20 Jahre ist genug! The official Deutschland thread

Orzelek

Westermann broke his navicular bone and is out for the WC. So even better chance of Tasci playing.

I don't see Gomez going home. He never played well for Germany but hardly missed a game. Löw really seems to like him (and there are hardly any alternatives for strikers).

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, after last nights game.....Westermann will also not be travelling, has a fracture in his leg, on his way home too to join Adler, Ballack etc.

Who´s next for the flight home? Have to say, Gomez should be sent home, got a goal last night but out of pure luck, although Germany played well, just had problems getting the goals, especially as they played better in the first half than the second, they got the goals in the second half.

I think as always though, at the WC the strikers suddenly find their scoring form, apart from the ones called Gomez!

I think Löw is taking a huge gamble counting on Poldi and Klose pulling good form out of thin air. Taking Gomez is a joke. He's had a mediocre season for Bayern and has never been usefull for the the DFB. Should really have taken Kuranyi.

Taking in form players > taking players with good reputation.

Then not calling up Frings, even with all the injuries, not even as a joker, is also insulting beyond belief.

Germans being typical Germans they'll fight for the results, but these decisions are nothing more than a gamble that could go horribly wrong.

Then not calling up Frings, even with all the injuries, not even as a joker, is also insulting beyond belief.

Except that it isn't really. Frings has been publicly voicing his disappointment for two years now. And he still can't get enough talking to the press about it. Probably blew all his chances to ever reappear in the national squad way before the injuries already. This is a team sports. Frings has been as much of a "bigmouth" as Roman Weidenfeller at the very least, time and time again. I understand and respect his feelings but he just can't stop it, apparently. Foul.

I think anyone would agree about the gamble with Podolski, Klose and Gomez. Löw appears to be pretty damn confident with Podolski, which he claims would "explode in South Africa". Podolski and Klose have a bit of a history of performing well with the national team, regardless how horrid their club form was. We'll see. Regardless, upfront there's still Kießling, which I rate as highly as Kuranyi, and Cacau is a bit of a low key player who probably doesn't always get the credit he deserves, I'm guilty too. But then he's a Brazil-born player playing for Germany, a Brazil-born player who likely wouldn't stand much of a chance appearing in the Seleção on top, which means he's second-rate filler from the get-go, regardless of his current or

runs. Plus Müller.

Even with those injuries, I really don't think that Löw will have a problem fielding a competitive eleven, whether it is enough to get them far into the tournament is another thing completely. :)

Yeah, like in '96 (EC) and where did that get Germany? :D:cool:

World Cup 86, they had all 5 attackers missing, with the likes of Rummenigge etc, still made it to the final!

Always a suprise with the Germans, made the final on many times, you just never know.

Poldi and Klose seem to rise to the occassion as does a lot of the german players.

Im quite pleased we got a young sqad, hopefully they will do well.

Players like Kuranyi and Frings wont get called up cos they moaned too much and thats just the way it goes.

People are saying that Hummels should be called up now that Westermann is gone, i think Hummels should have been their since the start to be fair!

I think Löw is taking a huge gamble counting on Poldi and Klose pulling good form out of thin air. Taking Gomez is a joke. He's had a mediocre season for Bayern and has never been usefull for the the DFB. Should really have taken Kuranyi.

Taking in form players > taking players with good reputation.

Germans being typical Germans they'll fight for the results, but these decisions are nothing more than a gamble that could go horribly wrong.

I'd also much more prefer Kuranyi then Gomez, whop hasn't done much good for the German team so far

And as I said before about Frings- I don't undertstand why he wasn't called up at first place, but then when Ballack got injured it's completely weird that he wasn't called up as replacement/backup

And as I said before about Frings- I don't undertstand why he wasn't called up at first place, but then when Ballack got injured it's completely weird that he wasn't called up as replacement/backup

Frings is past his expiration date and a certified troublemaker. The end of his international career is 100% on himself.

Frings is past his expiration date and a certified troublemaker. The end of his international career is 100% on himself.

He's past his prime, but past expiration date?! :confused: As far as I know he still is a leading player for one of the best teams in Germany...

And as for the troublemaker part- yeah he does a stupid thing once in a while, but he isn't exactly a Barton, Jones or Wise. And as I said before- Germnay has some good midfielders, but noone of them has great experiance and also not many has defensive qualities like Frings

Depending on how Klose and Podolski do, this team is quite experimental since the majority (14) have less than 10 caps

The team announcement is supposed to be today and one will be dropped. Cacau has been doing well so I'd say Kiessling or Muller will be dropped or maybe Badstuber if scarfman feels dangerous :D

Announced:

Goalkeepers: Hans-Jörg Butt (Bayern München), Manuel Neuer (FC Schalke 04), Tim Wiese (Werder Bremen)

Defenders: Dennis Aogo (Hamburger SV), Holger Badstuber (Bayern München), Jerome Boateng (Hamburger SV), Arne Friedrich (Hertha BSC), Marcell Jansen (Hamburger SV), Philipp Lahm (Bayern München), Per Mertesacker (Werder Bremen), Serdar Tasci (VfB Stuttgart).

Midfield: Sami Khedira (VfB Stuttgart), Toni Kroos (Bayer Leverkusen), Marko Marin (Werder Bremen), Mesut Ozil (Werder Bremen), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern München), Piotr Trochowski (Hamburger SV).

Forwards: Cacau (VfB Stuttgart) Mario Gomez (Bayern München) Stefan Kiessling (Bayer Leverkusen) Miroslav Klose (Bayern München) Thomas Müller (Bayern München) Lukas Podolski (FC Köln).

Muller and Kroos :thup:

Gomez :thdn:

Metz has hardly played club football, suffered too many injuries. Thats why he isnt included.

If he plays well for S04 then im sure he will be back in the squad.

he didn't receive a invitation for Die Mannschaft.

And now for something completely different: Always thought that "Die Mannschaft" was something a foreign journalist picked up wrong* - and then it spread. The DFB team must be the only national side in existence that has a nick name - only amongst the non-locals, whilst the locals themselves just never came up with any, not even the most ovious ones. But then the Super Eagles were already taken. :D

* every sporting team in Germany is being referred to as "Die Mannschaft" at some point or other. It means "The team", after all.

Our national team is called Oranje, so that is a nick name as well.

But yeah, always assumed that Die Mannschaft was the official term for the German National Football team

Game against Bosnia tonight. Löw might actually play the first team there. In defense, I'd expect Lahm on the left, then Friedrich (has been pretty reliable when played as CB), Mertesacker, Boateng. Midfield Scheinsteiger and Khedira as def mids are pretty much set, as is Özil just behind the only striker (which might just be Klose...). Podolski on the left, maybe Trochowski on the right.

Boateng-Mertesacker-Frierich-Lahm

Schweinsteiger-Khedira

Trochowski-Özil-Podolski

Klose

I'd like to see Podolski on the right and Marin on the left, personally.

Marin yes please!

Our national team is called Oranje, so that is a nick name as well.

But yeah, always assumed that Die Mannschaft was the official term for the German National Football team

Clockwork Oranje. :) Yeah, that was like the point- every country has its nickname for its national side, expect Germany. So presumaly foreign journalists came up with one nobody in Germany has ever heard - except German followers of foreign media. :D I'm pretty interested to know where and how this came about though. Where did you personally hear about "Die Mannschaft" first? And is it being used in the Netherland's media too?

Clockwork Oranje. :) Yeah, that was like the point- every country has its nick name for its national side, expect Germany. So foreign journalists came up with one nobody inside Germany has ever used. :D I'm pretty interested to know where and how this came about though. Where did you personally hear about "Die Mannschaft" first? And is it being used in the Netherland's media too?

Well for us, our royal family is called "Van Oranje" thus the name Oranje isn't just made up.

I heard "die mannschaft" or in Dutch "de mannschaft" for the first time (from what I can remember) during Euro 88, when we beat the Germans 2-1 in the SF.

Thanks for the input!

I think that, regardless of results, we're going to have some fun with this team this summer - if you don't hold a personal grudge against them, that is. :D Think about it: Löw ain't calling up those young ones because they're young ones. The gap that exists between all those Under-25 players in the squad and the senior players doesn't exist because this German team is meant to be a kindergarten with some teachers thrown in between. It's there because it reflects the standard of performance of the players.

Hinkel, Huth, Metzelder, Kehl, Rolfes, Frings, Ernst, Hildebrand, Hitz, Hanke, Borowski, Fritz, Pander - all more or less valuable players for the DFB between 2004 and 2008 still, they're simply outperformed by players who are much younger than them in parts. Taken as a whole, there's no reason to believe that this squad is any weaker than in 2002 or 2006 (seriously!). What can be argued is the standard of quality in key players. Well, people are already openly discussing Ballack's sorting out. That is a first in eight years. I think it'll be a fun ride, and if this team goes home this month already, so be it. This is wave of the future, dude.

Good solid win against Bosnia and the match probably finalized the WC starting line up. Would be a surprise to see anything but:

Neuer-Lahm, Mertesacker, Friedrich, Badstuber/Boateng-Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Mueller, Oezil, Podolski-Cacau

with Marin being the first substitute.

You think that Klose has blown it? Surely he'll start.

I hope not. He couldn't be more out of form. I'd actually start him ahead of Gomez or Kießling, but first choice would be Cacau for me. Much much more aggressive, much quicker than the others. Also the only striker in the team (excluding Podolski since he'll play as a winger) with a good long shot.

I hope Löw uses him and think there's a pretty good chance he will.

You think that Klose has blown it? Surely he'll start.

Personally I think Loew is much more pragmatic about his personel decisions than most people will give him credit for. Yes, he will at times ignore club performances, good ones as well as bad ones, but only if he has a better yardstick to go by, usually being national team matches.

Up until very recently Klose did well in those and scored important goals, amoung them the 1:0 in Russia securing Germany direct qualification for South Africa. In the matches in 2010 he pretty much looked completely lost though and Loew won't tolerate that for long.

Judging by the interviews after the Bosnia game the technical team will continue trying to break Klose's mental blockade down up until the last minute and he may even get one group match. Imo that's a good thing, a confident Klose is still heads and shoulders above the other available strikers and on par with all but the very best attackers at the World Cup.

If there are no visible signs of substantial improvement by the early group stage Loew will drop him though and given the way Cacau has played recently he's the first candidate for the job.

I hope not. He couldn't be more out of form. I'd actually start him ahead of Gomez or Kießling, but first choice would be Cacau for me. Much much more aggressive, much quicker than the others. Also the only striker in the team (excluding Podolski since he'll play as a winger) with a good long shot.

I hope Löw uses him and think there's a pretty good chance he will.

Although I agree that Klose hasn't had the best of seasons, I firmly believe he'll step up at the world cup. :thup:

That's it, all odds should go down to zero now. The musical taste of professional football players tends to be so naff it's ridiculous, Mehmet Scholl'd run out of the locker room and quit this campaign before it even started. :D If you want a reason for
of Terry and his sending off against England here it is.

(Only chance is that Naidoo 2006 was awful too, but this is an all new height of you've-got-to-be-kiddinge-me-ness.)

reckon badstuber will get it, as lahm is sticking to the right lately. I don't like his reluctance to attack but that's not his fault because he is a central defender naturally. could be a good thing because he will be fairly solid and podolski isn't great defensively.

he looks a little too uncomfortable at left back for me at times though and I wouldn't trust him against top class wingers too much. he will move into the centre in the future I guess. so it would probably be for the best to have lahm left and boateng right, but they have options.

he looks a little too uncomfortable at left back for me at times though and I wouldn't trust him against top class wingers too much.

He lacks the pace against, well, pacey onces, as was evident when he was playing against Nani. Apart from that, FFS this guy played 3rd Bundesliga matches against Aue, Aalen or Braunschweig a year ago... What. A. Season.

New musical vibrations, if you think it couldn't possibly get any worse, it does. . Trevor Horn's overblown Lightning Seeds:Reloaded vs all of this : 4-0 (no pens needed, thankyouverymuch). It's embarassing, please stop this, guys. :D

Think loosing Westermann is a really big blow to this team. :-(

Of course not, despite he is a versatile player, Heiko is not indispensable for Germany.

At least the defence with Friedrich and Mertesacker would be pretty solid today, I reckon.

I think Löw is taking a huge gamble counting on Poldi and Klose pulling good form out of thin air.

Haha, it took all of three minutes for Poldi to prove me wrong. Klose was still shaky, despite his goal (goalie looked dodgy on that one, too) but he sure was dangerous.

This is why Löw is manager, and I'm just an armchair PC gamer :D

wp Germany, here comes Sommermärchen Mk II :thup:

Haha, it took all of three minutes for Poldi to prove me wrong. Klose was still shaky, despite his goal (goalie looked dodgy on that one, too) but he sure was dangerous.

This is why Löw is manager, and I'm just an armchair PC gamer :D

wp Germany, here comes Sommermärchen Mk II :thup:

Podolski was fb :thup:

You could clearly see that Klose isn't the same good as 4 years ago, but it was very important that he scored. From now on his confidence will be much bigger

Podolski was class, Klose missed rhythm imo, he could (maybe should) have scored more.

all and all good performance by Germany, well played, will be supporting them until they play against us ofc.

Archived