The Official USA Thread

spartans5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I liked that article. I did not like our performance last night and I sure hope we can get/stay healthy. If not, we may have a repeat of 2006. My prediction of 5 points may be overly hopeful now.

Keep in mind that we didn't dress 8 players who are all likely to be starters. We should be ok.

I guess they think that Findley's speed has more of a chance to be a game changer than Ching's work rate. So throw him in there in the 65th minute and let him gas the defense?

I think a Findley-less squad already has the pace to cover that. Ching would bring the opportunity to batter tired center-halves relentlessly along with the possibility of a clever layoff.

I'm still just worried about Gooch.

I can't help but see Findley as a Brian West/Jeff Cunningham type. Effective (at times, incredibly so) within his niche, but not threatening to translate his value to effect at the international stage. Ching has always been a poor man's Brian McBride; he can be relied upon to at least cause something to happen.

Granted, I don't know **** about Slovenia's or Algeria's backline. Maybe there're some traffic cones just waiting for a speedster to bypass.

Only shock for me is no Ching, but that is not to say it bothers me. I could care less. Not a fan of Ching. Findley is fine. He shouldn't play anyway. Altidore and Buddle with Gomez coming on as a sub. Wouldn't be surprised to see Gomez outplay both of them tbf. He looks in form.

Worried only about the backline. It has to be better and Gooch has to get into form. Hate to say it but he is the most important player on this squad.

I meant it is a concern given our current fitness issues. It is clear that we need our first choice XI to be at their best for our dreams to be realized. If they're off form or injured, we're toast, because our backups are a major step down.

• SI Staff

Anyone know when they will announce the squad numbers? Want to get the away shirt with EDU on the back before the game against England.

Well the Squad look a lot as i imagine, but I dont know who Hercules Gomez is where does he plays is he any good?.....

He plays in the Mexican league. Played for Puebla last year, but is moving to Pachuca. He tied for most league goals in the Mexican league last time through with 10 in 14 appearances.

I think a Findley-less squad already has the pace to cover that. Ching would bring the opportunity to batter tired center-halves relentlessly along with the possibility of a clever layoff.

All Ching brings the opportunity to do is fall down in a heap looking for a foul on long balls

I still don't know wtf the team is thinking

spector loses the ball at the top of turkey's box and he's one of the two players that even come close to getting back on the counter

dempsey as a striker looks a bit better if he gets on the end of that jozy pass

imo, our midfield just looks clueless atm

edu for clark and holden for feilhaber might make things a bit better

Dempsey's perfectly competent up top, but imo Landycakes is lost by himself in that band between the forward line and midfield. What really worries me is that I can almost see our heads explode with bewilderment when the Turks make these ridiculous obfuscatory runs on the break. Bad linkage between defense and midfield. I'm curious to see how Edu does in Clark's place.

Don't see any reason for Feilhaber playing.

The usual suspects solid - Howard, Clint, LD, Jozy - against a good side.

Other than a braindead pass Feilhaber actually looked very composed on the ball in the first half, but I hated the overall setup. Clint and Jozy not quick enough up front for what we will need.

Torres and Findley intro changed the game. Officially a big fan of both. If they play with that kind of drive and enthusiasm, they should both be starting. I like the way Torres sticks the boot in, too. Findley never looked the least bit nervy. And, he can flat out fly.

Thought Clark was as much to blame on the Turk goal as anyone. He just stood flat footed as Spector went by him and even after he lost the ball didn't make a move to hustle back. Maybe his head wasn't in the game, but this is no time for that! He has to be sprinting all the way to cover the right wing vacated by Spector.

One thing that really concerns me is that we are in a lot of trouble of Bocanegra gets hurt. He has played pretty well on the left. Bornstein was instantly garbage. In any event, you can bet England will really test our fullbacks early and often. Spector was shaky.

Overall, a positive way to head out of the States.

Why would Bradley put out a perfect lineup to play 4-3-3 and then cram them into a flat 4-4-2 with two players out of position? It's ridiculous how much better the team looks with both Donovan and Dempsey out wide than with one of them up top.

Why would Bradley put out a perfect lineup to play 4-3-3 and then cram them into a flat 4-4-2 with two players out of position? It's ridiculous how much better the team looks with both Donovan and Dempsey out wide than with one of them up top.

because it's Bradley. He doesn't do anything different. I was able to predict pretty much every single substitution he made, and that's with some players we haven't really seen before.

The substitutions were fine (apart from Holden for Altidore, which would have made sense if he had switched to a 4-5-1 to hold the lead); it was the starting lineup that didn't make sense.

Archived