The Official USA Thread

spartans5

Hello yanks.

I was wondering if you guys see Slovenia as a threat? I am of the opinion that all ex Yugoslav teams are on the way up and Slovenia is no exception.

Was wondering if some of the more enlightened fans from team USA (the Americans that post here)would let me know how they feel about Slovenia.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every time I've seen Slovenia (which is not often, admittedly), they've always looked very tough to break down. The attack has seemed a bit pedestrian, but they're not going to give you many chances at their goal either.

Pretty much what I expected. The lack of depth is a bit shocking.

Backline is always going to the be the problem. I hope they rise to the occasion.

Looking for Buddle to pick up where Davies left off. Too bad he missed out. Not only for the inspiration, but b/c he really is quality.

Hello yanks.

I was wondering if you guys see Slovenia as a threat? I am of the opinion that all ex Yugoslav teams are on the way up and Slovenia is no exception.

Was wondering if some of the more enlightened fans from team USA (the Americans that post here)would let me know how they feel about Slovenia.

They qualified in Europe. So, they are battle tested. Anyone thinking they will be pushovers will be disappointed. And, they have a pretty talented young player in Krhin.

Hello yanks.

We can't look past them, that's for sure, as they did qualify over Russia in the playoff round and over the Czechs in the qualifiers. Not to mention they only gave up 4 goals in the qualifiers. It'll definitely be tough, but it's doable

Really hard to predict this team. They can beat Spain one time out then get hammered by a middling team another. We can reach the quarterfinals one WC then bomb out the next. I would not be terribly surprised if we won with 9 points or if we went home with 0, honestly. On paper, we should advance. One thing to remember with Team USA, though. For all the strides the national team has taken in reaching the finals the last six times, our record in those tournaments is 3W 3T 12L. Not good.

England-Obviously neither side will have motivation problems here. I think it being the first game favors USA. England have a TON of pressure on them, and we might take advantage of that. I almost worry that a win might end up hurting us due to overconfidence in the next two games. A loss on paper, I think we will draw it.

Slovenia-This may prove the hardest game of the group. They play a style that we have struggled against recently (USA have not done well in breaking down a defensive team), and we'll have to recover from the emotional/motivational high of playing England. I'm actually most nervous of this game. Slovenia have already proven capable of taking down a bigger nation by beating Russia. A loss to England would be forgiven, a loss here would be devastating. Put me down for a hopeful draw.

Algeria-I don't know much about this team, really. From what I've read, this should probably be a win. If I'm correct in predicting two draws to start, then we will need a win here to advance. I do think USA will advance, so I have to take a win here.

That's 5 points. Second round date with Germany, anyone?

Charlie Davies isn't happy with Sochaux not clearing him to play but does not want to leave.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/davies-feels-abandoned-sochaux

The absolute best way to not play next year Charlie. Good job calling out the team that signed you and stuck by your ass after getting into an accident. Oh and that wouldn't have happened had you not been out after curfew.

The absolute best way to not play next year Charlie. Good job calling out the team that signed you and stuck by your ass after getting into an accident. Oh and that wouldn't have happened had you not been out after curfew.

true, but wouldn't you like them to at least TELL you before announcing anything?

My starting XI: Howard, Spector Onyewu DeMerit Bocanegra, Dempsey Clark Bradley Donovan, Altidore and Johnson

naaaaaaaaaaaaaarrow

if we're going to go that narrow, I'd rather just play

howard; bocanegra, demerit, onyewu, spector; edu, clark, bradley; donovan; altidore, dempsey

in a 4-3-1-2 with donovan as our fantasista similar to the seedorf, pirlo, gattuso, kaka formation for ac milan.

Really hard to predict this team. They can beat Spain one time out then get hammered by a middling team another. We can reach the quarterfinals one WC then bomb out the next. I would not be terribly surprised if we won with 9 points or if we went home with 0, honestly. On paper, we should advance. One thing to remember with Team USA, though. For all the strides the national team has taken in reaching the finals the last six times, our record in those tournaments is 3W 3T 12L. Not good.

England-Obviously neither side will have motivation problems here. I think it being the first game favors USA. England have a TON of pressure on them, and we might take advantage of that. I almost worry that a win might end up hurting us due to overconfidence in the next two games. A loss on paper, I think we will draw it.

Slovenia-This may prove the hardest game of the group. They play a style that we have struggled against recently (USA have not done well in breaking down a defensive team), and we'll have to recover from the emotional/motivational high of playing England. I'm actually most nervous of this game. Slovenia have already proven capable of taking down a bigger nation by beating Russia. A loss to England would be forgiven, a loss here would be devastating. Put me down for a hopeful draw.

Algeria-I don't know much about this team, really. From what I've read, this should probably be a win. If I'm correct in predicting two draws to start, then we will need a win here to advance. I do think USA will advance, so I have to take a win here.

That's 5 points. Second round date with Germany, anyone?

The Slovenia match is the key.

I have no doubt you guys will play hard v England, it is one of the biggest matches in your history. I'm tipping L D W, 4 points for team USA

I can see the Yanks getting up for the 'big game' as they sometimes do, that's us btw :p and having more trouble with teams frustrating them, rolling around on the floor, etc - that's the others ;)

They're always gonna be super fit and prepared and pumped up, lots of whooping and hi-fives. I have a feeling Algeria won't do much, they didn't overly impress me against Egypt and they may get the media cliche of 'look at them, they'll be smiling whatever happens' which is usually reserved for the Caribbean or African teams

The Slovenia match is the key.

I have no doubt you guys will play hard v England, it is one of the biggest matches in your history. I'm tipping L D W, 4 points for team USA

I don't know if I'd say it's one of the biggest matches in our history, it is a big match nonetheless.

I beg to differ. I'd say it is a measurement to how far team USA has come into the world game.

could say that about every single WC group stage match against a major european footballing power since 90 tbh (1-0 loss to italy in 90, 2-0 loss to Germany in 98, 3-2 win over Portugal in 02, 1-1 draw with Italy in 06) as well a copa america group stage match against Argentina in 95 (3-0 win)

group stage matches are easily beneath the following matches in history:

2009 Confed Cup Final vs Brazil

2002 Quarterfinals vs Germany

2002 2nd Round vs Mexico

2009 Confed Cup Semis vs Spain

1994 2nd Round vs Brazil

1995 Copa America Semis vs Brazil

1930 Semifinals vs Argentina

1995 Copa America 3rd place match vs Colombia

1995 Copa America 2nd round match vs Mexico

I'd even say the group stage matches of the WC in 30, 34, and 50 were bigger simply because of the lower margin of error then

Also, I'm still trying to figure out how Beasley made this squad.

Was all set to post a complaint about the DMB showing up on the roster when the squad was announced but I thought there might be some chance that he was kicking ass all of a sudden so I held off. Turns out the local paper had a World Cup preview article today focusing on the man himself, saying he used to be a USMNT fixture before he turned crap. But in advance of this cup, Landon Donovan was impressed by DMB's dedication and hunger to make the team, so he had that going for him. Must be harsh for DMB to see guys who were once his peers offering him a 'two for trying' attaboy.

I thought he looked rather handy coming off the bench in the game against the Netherlands.

I actually remember thinking the same thing. I was impressed by him in that match, although maybe my expectations were just quite low.

I was far more impressed with Holden than with Beasley in that match

Well yeah, that's why Holden looks likely to figure in the starting lineup come group stage time. I do think he could be useful off the bench. But he definitely is in the mix, and is certainly one of the last of the seven cuts IMO. It seems like one of the spots will come down to him and Bedoya.

Well, that doesn't sound good:

PRINCETON, N.J. (AP)—U.S. coach Bob Bradley revealed Saturday that captain Carlos Bocanegra underwent hernia surgery before reporting to World Cup training camp.

Bocanegra, a defender for Rennes, was kicked on the left knee on March 28 in a match against Le Mans. Because of stomach pains, he didn’t play after the May 2 game against Sochaux.

He had sports hernia surgery on May 5, with Dr. Ulrike Muschaweck operating in Munich, team spokesman Michael Kammarman said following Bradley’s announcement.

Tonight's friendly is being used to determine which of the 30 won't make the 23 it seems (plus getting Onyewu a much needed game):

Starters: Guzan; Cherundolo (capt.), Goodson, Onyewu, Bornstein; Holden, Edu, Torres, Beasley; Buddle, Johnson

Bench: Hahnemann, Spector, Ching, Clark, Kljestan, Pearce, Marshall, Rogers, Findley, Bedoya, Gomez

1-0 to us. Edu.

Huge space on the right flank for the Czechs. I'm hesitating to attribute it to Bornstein (because he's such an easy whipping boy), but it's only due to incompetent finishing we haven't conceded from there. Our midfield looks like a pretty flat 4, which I'm not to wild about.

1-1 at half. Gooch totally conquered in the air for the Czech goal.

Some dysfunctional defending tonight, but no more than one might expect from personnel experimentation. Clearly, having no one residing in (rather, marauding into) that band between the traditional midfield and the front line leads to a lack of attacking incisiveness. Nothing to worry about with Dempsey/Donovan, imo.

Alright, Lalas with some great short-sighted analysis!

Buddle's worked hard tonight. I think he'd be handy in the squad. Holden has been underutilized, and I think he could do with coming a little narrower- in fact, the whole midfield needs a bit of consolidation into the middle so that they can help shore up holes in the back when the fullbacks help out the DCs. I guess the question is whether the likes of Boca can handle the increased exposure that comes with a narrower setup.

Archived