Official The Netherlands Thread ; Best team never to have won the WC.

Micado

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But can you name our 3 CD and the #4 player ala Lothar/Rijkaard? I don't think we have the players for that formation.
As we've been playing 4-2-3-1 lately, I think going from 4+2 defensive players to 3+1 defensive players would be suicidal. With all due respect to Heitinga and Matthijsen, they're no van Hanegem, Koeman, de Boer or Stam, to name a few players who I'd have trusted with such a role. And who'd be the new Rijkaard? Red would say 'de Zeeuw' maybe and I would likely nominate van Bommel, but yeah... :D
3-4-3 is a stupid formation - will fail at any top level competition,

No, but 3-4-3 will fit for Emanuelson. You just need another wing back for the right flank. De Zeeuw and De Jong will cover the midfield. Van Bommel can replace one of them. It's not a stupid formation. Juventus, the greatest club in Italy if not in the world, play better when they use three defenders. (;))

It won't happen anyway. Van Marwijck already said that the width of a field didn't fit any formation for three defenders.

OTOH, vdV has a hamstring injury, which might rule him out of the WC. Damn Real, hurting our players like that. :p

Sneijder, Heitinga and Kuyt all also got injured this weekend, although all of those should make it to the WC.

Bad for VdV, he really was playing well, got him self back in the first XI.

Does anybody know if they will keep the jersey numbers? I wanted to buy a Heitinga jersey but don't want to end up with the wrong number.

Think so, but not 100% sure, do think that Heitinga will get the #5

What position is Robin likely to play?

Not sure, he was mostly used as winger on the right, only once he was used as ST. bit daft by Van Marwijk, he was using Kuyt as ST and Robin as AMR, while at there clubs it was vice versa.

So, unitl the friendlies we can't be sure how Robin will be played

Didn't you say before that van Persie had demanded to play as a striker and van Marwijk was likely to acquiesce, Micado?

Sort of, Van Persie didn't say it like that, but his words implicated that he wanted to be the #9 for Holland (but he did not really demanded this).

Van Marwijk responded in his style: oh we will see.

So until the first friendlies, we have to wait and see.

Van Nistelrooy frozen out of squad, but Van Marwijk has invited Vurnon Anita and Jeremain Lens for a training session(s) of the Dutch team.

There will be two sessions:

Trainingsselection Monday May 10th and Tuesday May 11th

• Ibrahim Afellay, Otman Bakkal, Orlando Engelaar, André Ooijer (PSV),
  • Ryan Babel, Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool)
  • Sander Boschker, Wout Brama (FC Twente)
  • Khalid Boulahrouz (VfB Stuttgart)
  • Edson Braafheid (Celtic)
  • Eljero Elia, Joris Mathijsen(HSV)
  • John Heitinga (Everton)
  • Nigel de Jong (Manchester City)
  • Jeremain Lens, David Mendes da Silva, Stijn Schaars (AZ)
  • Piet Velthuizen (Vitesse)
  • Michel Vorm (FC Utrecht) - depends on the play offs Utrecht will play

Trainingsselection Thursday May 13th and Friday May 14th

• Ibrahim Afellay, Otman Bakkal, Orlando Engelaar, André Ooijer(PSV)
  • Vurnon Anita, Maarten Stekelenburg, Gregory van der Wiel, Demy de Zeeuw (Ajax)
  • Sander Boschker, Wout Brama (FC Twente)
  • Edson Braafheid (Celtic)
  • Giovanni van Bronckhorst, Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord)
  • Eljero Elia (HSV)
  • Jeremain Lens, David Mendes da Silva, Stijn Schaars (AZ)
  • Robin van Persie (Arsenal)
  • Piet Velthuizen (Vitesse)

So no RvN in either training session.

Tot the Oranje can do with Van Nistelrooy, even on the bench.

Sad for one of the best strikers for Netherlands.

No Emmanuelson, Heitinga, Huntelaar, Van der Vaart on the list as well. Injuries?

No Emmanuelson, Heitinga, Huntelaar, Van der Vaart on the list as well. Injuries?

Heitinga is on the first list. VdV is injured for the moment and Urby has to play the cup final, that is why he isn't on the first list, but strange he isn't on the second, while Anita, Van Der Wiel, De Zeeuw and Steek are on the second list.

Prefer Ubry over Anita tbh.

Agreed, I much prefer Urby over Anita and even not sure if Urby would make it. Veldhuizen I am not sure, who you want as 3rd (or 2nd) GK then?

Lens can come, he can be a nice "breek ijzer" with his speed.

• SI Staff

I like Lens... he's fast, he has an ok cross, but he can also finish...

Steek #1

Vorm #2

#3.. hmm... nobody :D

Maybe Boschker to finish off his career

or Tim Krul to let him check a higher level

Maybe Vermeer because he's really pretty good

or Ditewig for comedic value :D

Vermeer, not sure, has not played much this season, although I really like him and he has experience with big tournaments, U23 Euro's in 2006 & 2007 and OS2008.

Boschker, mhh, he can come, but then I hope we don't need him. Tim Krul; to early for him I guess.

I'd take Boschker as well. Not world class maybe, but he did very well this season and simply deserves it as a crown on his carreer.

Maybe looking through my Twente glasses, but I don't understand why Mendes da Silva gets a call up and Theo Janssen get's left out. Imo Janssen has played a far better season then Mendes da Silva and deserves the call up more.

On the LB saga, we also have talented youngster (Nicky Kuiper) in our squad who unfortunately struggled with injuries this season.

He started this season as our #1 LB, and maybe if he had continued that this season without injuries, he could have been our backup LB.

Kuiper is one for the future, like Bruma, PVA, Krul.

Agreed with Red here, Mendes AND Janssen aren't good enough to be called up for the WC imo, the can get the occasional cap in a friendly or so, but not more then that.

hey i like a lot Netherlands, it the one i hope wins the World cup , what do you guys think will be the starting 11? to the first game.

If everybody's fit, then I think the most likely line-up will be either:

Stekelenburg

Van der Wiel - Heitinga - Mathijsen - Van Bronckhorst

De Jong - Van Bommel

Van Persie - Sneijder - Robben

Huntelaar

Or:

Stekelenburg

Van der Wiel - Heitinga - Mathijsen - Van Bronckhorst

De Jong - Van Bommel

Kuyt - Sneijder - Robben

Van Persie

But Wesley Sneijder limped off after only 5 minutes in the Italian cup final yesterday, so we'll have to wait and see how serious that is.

Am I correct in thinking he's actually playing quite a bit for Milan lately? So that's all good.

Yeah, I thought the same, he does get more starts and minutes overall compared to the first half of the season, only his scoring isn't what is used to be (but that is like cylcing, you never loose the trick).

Robben has been playing on the right for Bayern. Will he be left only for Holland? Or will he switch sides?

That also largely depends on who is going to play centre forward, I think. If Huntelaar plays, and Robin van Persie plays behind the striker, then he and Robben will likely switch frequently. That isn't as much of an option if Kuyt plays.

Yeah, I thought the same, he does get more starts and minutes overall compared to the first half of the season, only his scoring isn't what is used to be (but that is like cylcing, you never loose the trick).

He's started more games - but he's been played as a right-winger (where Pato would normally play). It clearly isn't his best position, but Leo insists on using him this way, and then subbing him when he doesn't play well.

Well with that team the can get far, I like Huntelar as alone ST he is great, and Sneijder is playing like no other year all his passes are amazing, Im an Inter Fan and i wached all games this season a simply one of the best players in his position....

So without van Nistelrooy, the only orthodox out and out striker is Huntelaar?

Of course Van Persie and Kuyt as well but definitely not like during the days with option like Kluivert, Makaay, Vanegoor of Hasselink.

Just hope the Oranje can repeat the scintillating group stage performance in Euro 2008 with the attack clicking into full gear

Ruud's definitely not going. Tbh, he has not made a great impression at HSV so far and he has not contributed anything towards qualifying.

I guess Van Marwijk will play with Van Persie or Kuyt up front, I can't see Huntelaar making the starting XI unfortunately.

Archived