Football Manager 2008 trailer

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

I can picture tha ctor but I can't name him.

A long face and mousey hair.

Quite a tall skinny bloke with a biggish hooter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ralph Ineson who was Chris Finch in The Office

thats my guess

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beret83:

uh oh........it wont load up for me.......hell!!

Is anyone else finding this?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's fine for me.

Which browser are you using?

Have you installed the flash player and Java?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

Bugs are fixed by marketing money? Right......

Hey, I've got a good idea for this thread. Let's talk about the video and the subject, with constructive criticism or praise, rather than pithy, pointless comments icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

Michael Foster - what would impress you then? Dancing panda's playing guitars? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well played icon_smile.gif

In fairness it's a decent ad. It does what it's meant to do, which is make you want to play FM. Got to say though, the acting with the manager doing the celebratory fist-pump at the end is pretty funny.

Whether FM will deliver on all the things one anticipates from watching the ad is another matter...

Maybe you could have also used ...

If you can get your players to close down, when the match engine won't let you

Or perhaps ...

If you can get Milan to accept £100 million for a six month loan of there £12 million rated striker, when they claim the wage contribution is not enough

Or even ...

If you can tolerate 7 of your 11 key players being banned at least once before Christmas because of them gaining 5 yellow cards

And finally ...

If you can keep your job at Leeds, even when the board don't take into account the 15 point deduction when assessing your form

Then it would have fell in more with the game.

Just a suggestion.

-Mic

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebsy:

Oh and btw, it's an ok advert but far too long imo.

Could easily be at least half that length, it just goes on for far too long. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

War and Peace. Ulysses. The Iliad. Too long. Could easily have been at least half that length. icon_wink.gif Basing an advert on a literary work means you do just that. Attention spans just aren't what they used to be. icon_smile.gif

Honest opinion?

It looks nice, but…

The original poem is mawkish, overly sentimental and overtly political. Really, whoever said we could ‘ager’ to the last line should have been laughed out of the room. Whoever then took that idea and decided to add incredibly clunky football related terms on top of it should never work in advertising again.

It would have worked if it’d had all been a bit tongue in cheek, but it really doesn’t give that impression. It’s a computer game. It’s meant to be fun. It’s isn’t war. It isn’t serious. It’s not a fundamentally important piece of art. As Dale said above it all seems too earnest and serious.

Also, it really doesn’t provide any genuine impression of what the game is like whatsoever…and as for the choice of voice over…blimey. Was Andrew Lincoln busy that day? I assume this fella was picked because he’s associate with football via the skybet adverts? Pity, as WCR pointed out that for your primary target audience he’s mainly known as a stupid, bigoted bully?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Honest opinion?

It looks nice, but…

The original poem is mawkish, overly sentimental and overtly political. Really, whoever said we could ‘ager’ to the last line should have been laughed out of the room. Whoever then took that idea and decided to add incredibly clunky football related terms on top of it should never work in advertising again.

It would have worked if it’d had all been a bit tongue in cheek, but it really doesn’t give that impression. It’s a computer game. It’s meant to be fun. It’s isn’t war. It isn’t serious. It’s not a fundamentally important piece of art. As Dale said above it all seems too earnest and serious.

Also, it really doesn’t provide any genuine impression of what the game is like whatsoever…and as for the choice of voice over…blimey. Was Andrew Lincoln busy that day? I assume this fella was picked because he’s associate with football via the skybet adverts? Pity, as WCR pointed out that for your primary target audience he’s mainly known as a stupid, bigoted bully? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was it an unintentional tautology to describe it as mawkish and overtly sentimental? As for 'overtly political', I would be interested to see what you mean by this. Are you referring to Kipling himself, the poem, his poetry? You are of course entitled to your opinion though.

I personally think this is reading way too much into it and changing it into something it's not. It is modelled on a famous poem, as has already been mentioned countless times, and is not intended as anything else but that. It attempts to convey some of the trials and tribulations associated with managing a football team. As with the original, it is all about motivation and inspiration. Also key attributes of football management, would you not agree? As for the comments about the voice-over. You can make any associations you like but at the end of the day it's a voice-over by an actor. No silly walks, no comic gags and certainly no role/character association as you seem to be insinuating by referring to 'stupid, bigoted bully'.

This sort of thing can be fun until it's over-analysed. Take it at face value.

mawkish=bland (I know it's not the normal definition but I'm trying to wriggle).

The peom is about the Jameson Raid which led to the 2nd Boer War, so yes, it's political.

The actor has a very recognisable voice. Almost anyone hearing it will think 'ahh, the idiot from the office'.

As for the 'fun' thing...the advert itself isn't fun. It's not designed to be fun. That's why I don't think it works. It should be fun. It's a computer game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

As for the 'fun' thing...the advert itself isn't fun. It's not designed to be fun. That's why I don't think it works. It should be fun. It's a computer game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adverts for games like Call of Duty and Medal of Honour play on the seriousness and sentimentality of war. They certainly don't make war seem 'fun', strictly speaking. But they work.

As for the political thing, I don't think it's a fair critique to say, 'It's all well and good referencing Kipling, but this advert really doesn't get to grips with the Boer War context that Kipling's work is entrenched in'. The advert shouldn't be expected to do that, and that, if you like, might be the fun aspect you're looking for: messing around with a Kipling poem, putting it in an entirely unfamiliar context.

And I'd disagree with the poem being 'overtly' political in the first place.

adverts that I've seen for things like CofD usually show people shooting stuff, things blowing up etc etc which by their very nature are fun for the target audience?

I've not said that the advert needs to take the context of the original poem into account...

How can a poem inspired by a individual who led a raid intended to overthrow a government not be seen as political?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I hope you like it as much as I do. Feel free to give the link to whoever you want to as the only people who might mind are the people who should have told the youtube uploader to not upload it icon_wink.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well personally I really, really liked it! "You'll be a manager my son" indeed!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Michael Foster - what would impress you then? Dancing panda's playing guitars? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That can be easily resolved by getting the Flaming Lips to do the soundtrack next time.

The peom is about the Jameson Raid which led to the 2nd Boer War, so yes, it's political.

The actor has a very recognisable voice. Almost anyone hearing it will think 'ahh, the idiot from the office'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I take it that you are not leading the calls for the England football team to run out to "Jerusalem" then

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As for the 'fun' thing...the advert itself isn't fun. It's not designed to be fun. That's why I don't think it works. It should be fun. It's a computer game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who said computer games are fun? Computer games are distractions designed to engender competetiveness and demonstrate technical capability. 'Fun' is an undefinable abstract concept.

And taken at face value, it is a suitable homage to a classic popular poem, reproduced for a market of football management simulation fans.

adverts that I've seen for things like CofD usually show people shooting stuff, things blowing up etc etc which by their very nature are fun for the target audience? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must be different to the one's I've seen. The one I can remember well was a MoH ad which showed non-shooty scenes from the game set to the recital of a Wilfred Owen poem.

Pity the standard Hollywood voice was missing icon_wink.gif Could have been something like,

"this october, a story about a man who faces his dreams, wolflike media attention and a horrible board... he faith of his team rests solely in his hands... and he has only ninety minutes..." icon_biggrin.gif

No jokes, Miles it looks very nice! Even though I have been playing the demo this made me even more eager to get the real deal!!

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As for the 'fun' thing...the advert itself isn't fun. It's not designed to be fun. That's why I don't think it works. It should be fun. It's a computer game </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe we should just forget trying to do something different and stick with the farmer and his dog forever.

Right. Today's blog had to be postponed for various technical reasons, and was (and still will be) up at some time tomorrow instead.

The blog was to show a promo video for FM08 which I'm somewhat proud of - Frontroom (Sega's creative partner) have done a great job on it.

So, whilst it was postponed, someone forgot to tell the person who was uploading the video to You Tube. And seeing as a few people seem to have found it now, I thought it only fair to officially "leak" it here.

It's only the English language version for now - there will be French, Spanish and Italian ones too.

I hope you like it as much as I do. Feel free to give the link to whoever you want to as the only people who might mind are the people who should have told the youtube uploader to not upload it icon_wink.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really well done on this, I reckon it will definately catch on once it hits people's facebook's etc. Snippits surely could be cut for the odd TV/Radio add too.

The only only only slightest way of making it better would have been to get the real Sean Bean for the voiceover...!

KUTGW

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

<snipped>

Maybe we should just forget trying to do something different and stick with the farmer and his dog forever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that an Easter Egg in FM08?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:It should be fun. It's a computer game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To parody a Shankly misquote: It's not a matter of fun or enjoyment, its much more.

icon_smile.gif

mallen102000 - internet based. Too long for TV.

Michael Foster - what would impress you then? Dancing panda's playing guitars? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is it with you and pandas? You've already mentioned them in your blog.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wasma:

looking back perhaps this previous advert for football manager was better

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZY25fo_pt1g </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very funny! i was sure that it was bleeped before though wasn't it?

Evon - I like panda's. Is that a crime? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think that more or less depends on how *much* you like them... icon_eek.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

Archived