Official Spain WC thread

Makes me wonder why Spain didn't do well at WC2006. Pretty sure most of this team were playing then too.

Because they were using some weird 4-3-3 formation with Senna, alonso and xavi in midfield and Torres and Villa floating behind luis Garcia/Raul, worked ok in the group stages when they didnt have any difficult opponents but got knocked out by france in the first knockout stages because they had no width or pace in midfield

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Crazy amount of wealth in the Spain national team with plenty of others like Sergio Canales, Pedro etc bidding for a chance to be included.

Beside Torres and Villa, what other attacking option Del Bosque has?

Seriously I doubt Dani Guiza is doing marvels in Turkey (still there right?)

Sergio Garcia? Borjan Kirkic?

Then again Juan Mata can play forward when need arises

doubt canales is going anywhere

villa

torres

negredo

llorente

I reckon it should be this. However, there's 3/4 players who are here that probably won't make it despite deserving it way more than the players who will make it.

GK: Casillas, Valdés, Reina/Palop.

Defs: Ramos, Arbeloa, Puyol, Piqué, Albiol, Capdevila, Monreal/Iraola.

Mids: Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc, X.Alonso, Mata, Silva, J.Martínez.

Atts: Torres, Villa, Negredo, Fernando Llorente, Pedro.

Would be great for De Gea to make it as 3rd choice keeper but I doubt it will happen :(. The way Reyes has played this season he deserves to be in the squad but I doubt he will get a call up :thdn:. Just so much depth in Spain's squad that they can be awesome and still not even have a look in.

The only area where Spain arguabally lack a world-class player is left back although Capdevilla has performed decent for the NT. Ramos also not very good defensively at RB.

Those are the only problems I see that can prevent Spain from winning the tournament.

The key will be the player(s) in front of the defence again, as I said before the Euro.

A bad transition defence is the only think that can make Spain vulnerable. (See Spain again USA)

Mata would offer more playing at left wing than torres or villa would playing there seeing how its his natural position, its stupid to put square pegs into round holes, especially at the world cup when you have a lot at stake and doing something either player wouldnt be used to

Spain have a shed load of wingers available to them: Silva, Mata, Pablo, Cazorla, Reyes, Navas, Joaquin, any of them would fir the bill and do well

No. Watch Spain against Belgium for more information.:thup:

I know he won't get a game, but is there any chance of Arteta being in the 23?

Isn't he injured anyway?

The manager will probably try and shift Iniesta out to RM and keep Xavi and Senna as the CM's and then Silva LM. Like the Euro 2008 team.

I see most people are mentioning him, but Senna right now is out of the rotation.

If he makes the squad, and he will, it won't be based on his performances.

I would take pedro, experienced or not, he doesn't exactly play for a small team without immense pressure as it is

and I don't really like jesus navas

I would too. Goals are invaluable in a short competition.

PD: I like Navas a lot.

Reckon Cesc should start if Spain decide to play narrow.

Otherwise probably an impact sub :(

C'est la vie. ;)

Crazy amount of wealth in the Spain national team with plenty of others like Sergio Canales, Pedro etc bidding for a chance to be included.

Beside Torres and Villa, what other attacking option Del Bosque has?

Seriously I doubt Dani Guiza is doing marvels in Turkey (still there right?)

Sergio Garcia? Borjan Kirkic?

Then again Juan Mata can play forward when need arises

Those three have no chance to be in the squad.

The only striker that Del Bosque should consider is Fernando Llorente. The rest are unnecessary, unless Fernando Torres wasn't at his best.

Well towards the end of the Euros, Aragones played a 5 man midfield with only one striker up top (Torres) because Villa had injured himself with Fabregas slotting into that midfield role. So, I feel that, in that respect, they have plenty of flexibility. They could play both Torres and Villa up top, or switch to a 4-5-1 and play either Iniesta, Silva, Fabregas, or Mata right behind the striker.

All Spain probably need to do is score an early goal and then replace their strikers with Cesc and Alonso. Then, Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas, Alonso and Senna could just play the ball between themselves for the rest of the game. Silva will offer some striking options

Most Spanish managers prefer that shape and Del Bosque always have two holding midfielders in his team. It wouldn't surprise me if both Alonso and Busquets start.

Makes me wonder why Spain didn't do well at WC2006. Pretty sure most of this team were playing then too.

Short answer: Raúl. It was like playing with 10 players.

Long answer: Maybe another day.

I reckon it should be this. However, there's 3/4 players who are here that probably won't make it despite deserving it way more than the players who will make it.

GK: Casillas, Valdés, Reina/Palop.

Defs: Ramos, Arbeloa, Puyol, Piqué, Albiol, Capdevila, Monreal/Iraola.

Mids: Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc, X.Alonso, Mata, Silva, J.Martínez.

Atts: Torres, Villa, Negredo, Fernando Llorente, Pedro.

There is no way Reina isn't in the squad and you know that.

Unless that was your squad. If so, I don't get why you need Llorente AND Negredo when they offer the same (and Negredo has been pretty much crap this season). I also don't see the need of four full backs, center backs are way more important (Ramos in the center is a big no unless you are supporting Catalonia this summer).

Has Marchena been playing for Spain recently? I know he went to the Euros but don't know anything after that.

Arteta deserves to go to the WC :(

No, he doesn't.

Puyol and Piqué are the center backs now. Marchena will probably be the fourth center back.

I don't know if Del Bosque has a preferred starting XI or formation but from what i've seen of Spain since Euro 2008 it seems that whatever Del Bosque does and whoever plays, Spain always win and always play well.

I would seem logical for Spain to stick with the same team and formation as at Euro 2008 with 4-4-2 and Iniesta on the left, Silva on the right, Xavi in the middle with the only change being Senna out and hopefully Fabregas in but probably Xabi Alonso - anyone but Busquets.

Canales won't go, he's in the current U19 squad and will probably play in the Euro U19 championships in the summer if Spain qualify.

I would love to see Pedro go to the World Cup but I don't think it will happen, Spain have many other good wide players and he won't play as a striker.

Why play with Alonso in the group stages against weak teams, get used to what he offers the team (and what he can offer Spain is massively different compared to Busquets), and then switch it to a player with different qualities when the good teams come around? Teams need consistency, need to know how they are meant to be playing and have a settled style.

Its likely that theyll only play two games as a first team anyway. If all goes to plan and the first two games are won, I could see all 11 players rested with the next round in mind. Two games isnt going to have much influence on the team gelling, which is more likely to have occurred in friendlies up to now, as well as the pre-tournament training camp.

Aside from all that, it depends what Del Bosque wants from the game. Both are capable of playing the holding role, albeit with different styles. Senna will be a more aggressive tackler and Alonso will be more useful in the counter attack. All in all, I reckon it depends wholly on the opposition and we'll see Alonso playing against teams with a slow defence as he can quickly launch an attack.

The problem with Senna is the he's washed up.

Since the defeat against USA, Alonso and Busquets have played pretty much every game. Against Belgium at home, against France... Right now, they are the starters, even above Cesc.

If I had to bet some money, I would put my money on this: Busquets, Alonso, Xavi; Iniesta, Villa, Torres.

The problem with Senna is the he's washed up.

Since the defeat against USA, Alonso and Busquets have played pretty much every game. Against Belgium at home, against France... Right now, they are the starters, even above Cesc.

If I had to bet some money, I would put my money on this: Busquets, Alonso, Xavi; Iniesta, Villa, Torres.

David Villa playing wide? Such a waste of talent.

Aside from all that, it depends what Del Bosque wants from the game. Both are capable of playing the holding role, albeit with different styles. Senna will be a more aggressive tackler and Alonso will be more useful in the counter attack. All in all, I reckon it depends wholly on the opposition and we'll see Alonso playing against teams with a slow defence as he can quickly launch an attack.

Playing Alonso as the holding midfielder will only end in defeat against any half-decent side. Just look what happened against USA (although perhaps not the only reason) - and they're borderline half-decent. For me, it's no coincidence that Busquets has been deployed alongside him for, according to Yovan, every game.

David Villa playing wide? Such a waste of talent.

He would only start FROM the left. It's not like he has to stay on the left the whole game. All his best moves are from left to right anyway, so he isn't out of position.

Youtube Spain v Belgium and see him destroying Belgium in that game. Let's see if you still think that he's being wasted.

I saw the game - but it is just that - one game. And regardless of how well he performed, I find it difficult to believe that placing the best striker out wide isn't wasting some of his talent. Pato's scoring record this season is great from out wide - doesn't mean his talent is not being wasted a bit.

I saw the game - but it is just that - one game. And regardless of how well he performed, I find it difficult to believe that placing the best striker out wide isn't wasting some of his talent. Pato's scoring record this season is great from out wide - doesn't mean his talent is not being wasted a bit.

The problem with Spain is that ALL the elite players are better in the center.

Is Villa better in the center? absolutely. Is Spain better with Torres and Villa upfront and no width at all? absolutely not.

Spain has played their best games with a striker, Villa in most cases. But you can't leave a player like Torres out of the team.

The problem with Spain is that ALL the elite players are better in the center.

Is Villa better in the center? absolutely. Is Spain better with Torres and Villa upfront and no width at all? absolutely not.

What happened to a simple 4-4-2? Like the one at Euro 2008. Two players upfront, David Silva one side, Iniesta the other.

That formation was a coincidence, a fluke if you want. Spain hasn't played that many games with that formation.

And it could work again, but Senna was a vital part piece of that.

Anyway, I'm not posting what I want, I'm posting what Del Bosque will do IMO.

I just wasn't sure how much del bosque trusted busquets, although I remember he started against france. xabi is good, but he is soft and there is no way he can play alongside just xavi, leaving no tackler. senna might get it because of his experience, I don't really know.

and personally I don't really want to see david villa coming from wide, but if say torres is injured, I can certainly see x.alonso with busquets and then xavi pushed a little forward behind villa.

he seems to really like cesc aswell

So whiner Alberto Riera's move to Russia will not boost his World Cup chance? heehee

Victor Valdes definitely look like the third choice but he had been doing slightly more consistently for Barca who is not really well known for a strong defense despite having Puyol and Pique.

Reyes definitely being a revelation for At. Madrid this season but don't remember any great performance in the international scene from him, same as his forgotten contemporary of Joaquin.

It definitely looks like almost 90% of the team is picking itself from the Aragones/ Del Bosque s' choice over the past 2 years, wonder who might be the biggest shock inclusion.

That formation was a coincidence, a fluke if you want. Spain hasn't played that many games with that formation.

And it could work again, but Senna was a vital part piece of that.

Anyway, I'm not posting what I want, I'm posting what Del Bosque will do IMO.

Incidentally, what is the formation you would want?

Will Victor Valdés be taken to the WC even though he has never been capped before (at senior level, I know he was capped at youth level)?

Casillas, Reina and Valdes as the three GK imo. Palop is good but I'd take these three.

Guest roberto922

The quantity of quality in this Spain side is ridiculous tbh. While they're debating whether to play Fabregas, England are debating whether to play Heskey!

also, i would quite like to see Spain using a system similar to barca/valencia, with Villa playing as a lone striker ( especially if Torres still has fitness doubts ) with Iniesta floating behind him, Silva and one of Pablo, Cazorla or Navas depending on who makes the squad on the wings with Xavi running things behind them whilst senna or alonso plays the holding role behind him, use cesc and torres as impact subs and they could rip teams to shreds :D

now that Torres is a major doubt: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8628770.stm would seriously like to see the formation i described earlier, with cesc in for iniesta if he aint fit either

in which case, we are going to see the following:

casillas

s.ramos        piqué           puyol        capdevila

x.alonso        busquets

iniesta                xavi                d.silva

villa 

or perhaps arbeloa left back, iniesta/silva can switch and cesc will replace xavi when he needs a rest. pedro should definitely be back up for the wide positions.

in which case, we are going to see the following:

casillas

s.ramos        piqué           puyol        capdevila

x.alonso        busquets

iniesta                xavi                d.silva

villa 

or perhaps arbeloa left back, iniesta/silva can switch and cesc will replace xavi when he needs a rest. pedro should definitely be back up for the wide positions.

would prefer to see an actual right winger there tbh, leave out busquets and move xavi back and iniesta into the middle

Archived