The striker, who wasn´t really a striker. Big bummer.

So, here I was in dire need of a targetman for my Gateshead squad, champions league knock out competition just around the corner and I searched everywhere desperately for a suitable strong striker. At some point I did reset the filter and typed in prefered attributes like jumping, heading, strength .. etc. One amazing looking player came up and I did a bid of 8 million euro immediately, he was only valued at 2 million, so I figured his club would accept.

Long story short, I got the guy and ... he was a keeper ... and I had just spent all my hard earned millions with the biggest signing for Gateshead, I was left devastated. How on earth didnt I notice that? *slapped self*

On a second note, he has turned out to be the best keeper I have ever had in all my FM history ... so ... not all was lost, but still a big bummer.

Made any similar bummers?

how on earth could you do it? the position is under his name, easily noticable from the stats in the first solumn and we should always look for natural and accomplished posiitions in the position tab....

not even to comment on the fact that on someone who is worth 2M you bid 8M right away ...

No clue how you managed to do that considering goalkeeper and outfield players look different!

I did something like that but in a good way. Excuse the outrageous coincidences but I signed a Brazilian (with Portuguese second nationality) from Fluminense named Fábio who was left-footed and capable of playing all on the the left flank (remind you of anyone?). He was a DM, M LC and I thought he had first touch 20. It turned out I had misread the line - he actually had finishing 20 (the line above)! A swift conversion to a striker and... He's still a better left-back and I use him as - well, what do you know? Just how Sir Alex uses his non-regen namesake, as an attacking left-sided full-back who happens to be really good at finishing.

Of course I did try to train him to be a striker so as a result he's probably the most lethal finisher in the world - and he's better at left-back. His lack of movement (it's not that bad, but not great, 13 I think) does hurt him being put up front I suppose. He now has finishing 20, long shots 20, technique ~18, composure ~18, flair ~19, first touch ~18, acceleration and pace around ~16, strength ~15 - yeah, in theory a really good striker.

I think he has a couple of CA points remaining so I'm very tempted to squeeze them all into his off the ball movement - or I could improve his positioning, which (like his non-regen namesake) isn't that good!

Bit different but I felt a similar way.

Sometimes I try and get transfer deals (both ways, though usually selling) out of the way in the spring, even just after the close of the january transfer window. However depending on how the dates line up it's sometimes extended by a day or 2 and I ended up selling one of my best ever players (I normally sell players with a year left on their contract if they're not going to renew) half a season early because of this. The deal was a pretty good one and the good performances by the his replacement helped minimize the loss, plus despite losing out on the league and CL I was very much on the back foot in the former and being cup tied prevented him from playing against me in the final of the latter, but I still felt a complete muppet when I realized what happened, and even though things weren't quite so bad it wouldn't have hurt still having him for the time I intended to.

• 2 months later...

I think goalkeepers have outfield attributes much like any other player, and viceversa. However, they can't be seen by default, and they often aren't good enough to get things like that...

After being particularly annoyed at losing the league cup final for the third time in four seasons because of a mistake by that years free signing gourcuff I had an angry post match reaction of a 2 week fine for poor performance to said player. Cue: A month of bad form with a team with morale "very poor" and dropping off the favoured personnel list of about 5 squad members. Needless to say gourcuff was gone for £17.5m a few months later.

Archived