Wishlist: What you would like to see in future versions of the game. All 'list' ideas in here.

If you click on each season it shows the overall stats at the bottom of the screen.

I know that; but for example, when it comes up to count the goals scored for your team in his career you can only do this with a pen & a piece of paper & maths.

It is not very user friendly.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Rafa Benitez was in Inter he said that in England he was a manager, in Italy he is a coach.

Now after a long time, I remembred that while playing FM and wondered when will this game get as far as mimicing the different versions of manager/directors/owners relationship.

In Italy most managers have little to no say in who their team actually buys. To be able to do that, you would have to win A LOT of trust. People like Marco Branca (Inter), Adriano Galliani (Milan), Pantaleo Corvino (Fiorentina), Beppe Marotta (Juventus) really form the teams. The English model for example has created the illusion for some that it was Jose Mourinho who put together the Inter side of 2010, buying Milito etc. In reality it was Branca and certain guys in the background, but with Mou obviously having a say in who he wants in the end and who not. This is similar in Spain too. I cannot speak for the rest.

What I propose is create a system that allows you to:

a) Play the game as it is now, you form the team, you create the financial budget etc.

b) Play the game with realistic management system. When you sign for English team, you would usually get a budget and you talk with scouts etc, get what you want. When you sign for say Italian team, you would have to often go through sporting director, suggest them players you want or what kind of players you want or what kind of signing policy you want to follow... and quite often have the directors selling the players you are not really planning to sell and giving you players you hadn't asked for. And the more reputation, the more respect and trust you have, the more control you have over the things going on in the club.

For example, if you are relative unknown with not many achievements then your opinion will only matter lightly (if directors want to sell someone, you could give reasons why you want to keep him and then see if it makes them change their mind... if they still want to sell, tough luck, try suggest them a replacement and hope they listen to your advice there).

On other hand, if you have just won your team the Champions League, the players you've suggested for your team to sign turn out great (be it in your own team or in somebody else's) etc, then your voice is heard loud and clear and taken very much into account. Maybe eventually going as far as pretty much getting a role of a manager.

And could spice up the contract negotiations a bit. You'd have to risk a lot to try and get yourself a good situation to be a manager/coach. Much like real life. Making demands like I want to sign this player in summer, I want to have control over our scouting etc.

And as addition to that, this could also potentially open up the role for playing the game as sporting director (which wouldn't rule out the ability to be a manager either... see Leonardo irl).

I would like the option of having my own agent to handle my wages, job rumours, approaches for me and contract talks.. where clubs can approach me and sound me out for management jobs

"in secret". Quite often you run the risk of upsetting your chairman or fans and burning bridges by applying for other jobs!

I agree with Tanel on the Italian game. In England you should have the full control and manage.

In the Italian game hand the technical director your requirements for players and they sign players for you!

I have no idea how to use a forum so if I'm replying to someone's comment I'm sorry, anyway...

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but what about timed substitutions? ie In the pre-match you tell your substitutes when you expect to bring them on. The closer you are to the specified time range when you bring them on, the more prepared they will be and the more likely they are to have an impact on the match. If you tell a sub you expect to use them and you don't, it lowers their morale.

Less mail!

For example, on the 16th of june I got 15 mails and failed te read them all (I do not have time for all of this.) I signed an ageing player who could really add something for my team, only to find out he has no WP. I then read all the mails and found out I got 1 mail to say he didn't get a WP, a second that he liked to sign and a third to confirm the deal. In previous FM's I had no problems with this, because you couldn't suign a player without his WP, now I'm stuck with someone I can't play and there's no point in loaning him out for three season, because he will retire before then.

Why can't these three mails be merged into one. I would certainly read them if tehre weren't so many of them.

The biggest idea that came to me during this year's iteration is the difference between training sessions. For example, managing a top level club, you have first team training, and you have youth team training. But reserves and first team have no differentiation. This year Ravel Morrison was training with the Man United first team, but was susbsequently dropped back to the reserve team training (and his reaction to this was basically the final straw in getting him sold).

Being able to have your first and reserve teams train seperately is more realistic, and also allows for more player interaction - for example, I might want to show Zeki Fryers that I have good faith in him, so I promote him to training with the first team, he gains a little confidence and benefits more from training with better players (an effect which is severely diluted if you try and make the whole reserve team train with the first team).

Likewise if a player isn't showing me enough in the first team, I can make him train with the reserves as a kind of punishment.

Also the ability to press keepers. Even if I set my players to always close down the opposing keeper and show him to his weaker foot, the players automatically just ignore the keeper having the ball. It would be realistic to have your players chase balls passed back, try and force the keeper into errors or having to play the ball out etc...

There is also an issue where if I go on holiday between matches (which is essential for your sanity if you're managing a national side), you come back and find that a load of decisions from your mailbox have been made without your input. You should either have these pop up while loading-or be waiting when you come out. This can be really frustrating...

Sorry if this is a re-post of some ideas, I haven't checked ALL of the replies... I'd like to see:

1)Women's leagues - It would be great to be able to move from the women's game to the men's and vice-versa. Maybe the players could move too (i.e. women into the men's league, depending on league rules).

2)'Easy mode' - a mode that makes things a little less technical for users after a more 'simple' experience. Some more generic formations, bringing back the movement arrows and stripping back the trickier features (training/tactics/press etc).

3)Season start date - when the patch featuring Jan transfers is released a new start date for the leagues could be released. So Jan transfers and league positions were included in the game (along with managerial vacancies). So I can take over at a club struggling against relegation and try to keep them up.

4)A player manager feature would be cool too

Had a good laugh at these three suggestions, if you can call them that. Can't say these taking off some how :lol:

1) I think it could be a good idea to add a 'Team Navigation screen' similar to the one ol' PC Fútbol had. The current one does not allow very quick navigation, at least for me

2) While it is not necessary by any means, I'd like to see Testimonial Matches in the future. With this, Club Legends or players with Worldwide reputation could organize a match between two teams consisting of that player's friends. While IRL testimonial matches may include former players, including only active players should be enough

3) Average Points as a rule in the Editor

I have an idea for future versions of fm and wondered if anyone likes it.

Its only basic as i have just thought of it but what if upon joining a club, you were called into the boardroom to discuss the 'philosophy' of the club.

There would be 3 different philosophies which are ;

concentrate on youth- as a result you would get a low transfer/wage budget but the board will have less short term expectations of results ( so instead of promotion they might expect a midtable finish). They would also be more sympathetic when you ask for facility upgrades and more coaches.

Instant effect- You would get a large transfer/wage budget but heavy expectations to get results. The board would also be sympathetic to wage and transfer budget requests, as well as stadium expansions but would be less sympathetic to facilities and coaches.

balanced- a philosophy with no real bias towards any direction.

what do ya think?

Also, I think the club reputation... the appeal for players should be far more flexible and realistic.

I've been playing with Hellas Verona for for 4 and half seasons now. In that time, I finished mid-table in Serie B, 2nd in Serie B, 9th in Serie A, 3rd in Serie A. I play one of the best football in whole of Europe, a squad that is extremely young, improving. In real life, everyone would be ******* all over this team (sorry for the expression) and young (or old) players would love to join it. I have meanwhile been chasing one Argentine winger from River Plate who should have every reason to join my club (young squad, clearly going places, in Champions League, well-managed... after all I have about 30 million in bank balance without selling any stars and I am ready to offer for him 10+15 million over 3 years), yet he doesn't want to because my club reputation is just National. I scored nearly 100 goals last season.

So

a) The rep should be far more flexible. There could possibly be two different reputations (one hidden). First is the historical and long-term reputation. This is for the teams that have stayed on the highest levels of the game for long time and therefore create a big fan-base and this helps you buy class players in say team like Liverpool even if they haven't played in CL for x number of years. The other would be short-term reputation - this helps teams that have made some remarkable improvements and seem to be going forward, using a lot of young players, playing attractive football etc. This ovbiously shouldn't make established world class player go to a team like mine is at the moment, but it should help attract talents (the Argentine I'm chasing is sort of an inbetween a talent and say Neymar-like star in South America).

b) You should also be able to convince people when negotiating. I cannot even talk to the player I am after. But surely a lot of transfer talks in real life involve around where the club is planning to go, how the player would feature in it (not just key player, first team and what other options we have now) etc.

I've thought about this a lot, and I think that there could be more options when talking to loaned player from another club. I\ve just caught myself how I wanted to ask my star loan player if he wanted to stay with me permanently after the loan is finished, but I couldn't. Also, there is no 'talk to press' option, and I can't declare interest in him.

So, I think there could be some more questions under the 'transfer' section such as:

1. You have been a real revelation for the club, what do you think about joining us on permanent contract? (passionate, asserive, calm, cautious)

2. You have been playing really well for us, what do you think about joining us at the end of your contract? (pass., ass., calm, caut.)

3. You haven't fullfiled expectations since joining on loan, I'm thinkimg about terminating the deal. (agg., ass., calm, caut., rel.)

4. You have been woeful for us since joining on loan, you're going back to your parent club! (agg., ass., rel.)

Just to get the picture how it could look like...

In the tactics, you should be able to tell players to perform preffered moves.

For example, tell your wingers to "look for pass rather than attempting to score" and to "try tricks"...etc

This would really allow you to get your team playing the way you want.

Coaching Staff Scouting?

I re-assess my whole Coaching Staff at the beginning of every new season to try and get the best quality that my funds and reputation will afford.

However, comparing my Backroom Staff's attributes with any potential new recruits always ends up in me printing out screen shots and making lists.

If SI could incorporate some of the features for scouting players, such as Comparisons - comparing your staff against your own and other team's staff, and Shortlists, giving a good visual platform as to who you are considering making an approach for, then managing your backroom staff will be easier, quicker and more realistic.

RTID

just got fed up of a game

opposition scored from.

direct free kick (i never score from these why should they so often?)

kick off pass ball into net (no one tackles this happens far too often)

play that started from a passback (defender passed ball back to keeper who fell on the ball to control it)

and a corner

fix these.

I have an idea for future versions of fm and wondered if anyone likes it.

Its only basic as i have just thought of it but what if upon joining a club, you were called into the boardroom to discuss the 'philosophy' of the club.

There would be 3 different philosophies which are ;

concentrate on youth- as a result you would get a low transfer/wage budget but the board will have less short term expectations of results ( so instead of promotion they might expect a midtable finish). They would also be more sympathetic when you ask for facility upgrades and more coaches.

Instant effect- You would get a large transfer/wage budget but heavy expectations to get results. The board would also be sympathetic to wage and transfer budget requests, as well as stadium expansions but would be less sympathetic to facilities and coaches.

balanced- a philosophy with no real bias towards any direction.

what do ya think?

I love that idea, it'd be good to actually have an interview with your prospective employer (Ive read this on the forums somewhere before) to set out your vision for the club

I love that idea, it'd be good to actually have an interview with your prospective employer (Ive read this on the forums somewhere before) to set out your vision for the club

Two Basic UI Improvements that would make a Huge Difference

1. Change font sizes: Honestly SI, not everyone is still using 1280*720! This is so basic a feature for a text based game that I'm staggered its still not been implemented. Playing on a 24in 1920*1080 I have to move the screen closer to me just to play the game without a headache.

2. Enable context sensitive scroll wheel controls: Again, FM is still living in a dark age of two button mice. I get RSI from time to time so I really notice it when I have to do unnecessary mouse work. A very simple feature that would address this would be to allow the scroll wheel to flick through players' pages, depending on the screen that got you there. Example - a player search brings up a list of players, rather than having to click a name, navigate to back button, click, navigate to name, click, navigate to back button etc etc... Instead just click on first player name, then scroll wheel down takes you through all the players in the list in turn. Or click on a name in on a team sheet, then scroll takes you through the team. Easy to implement, highly efficient, and can be quickly disabled by anyone that doesnt like it. Just seems like an absolute no brainer to me.

I have two quite simple changes to recommend.

The first is a change to how the First Knockout Round is conducted for the Champions League (and presumably the Europa League). As it stands, I don't know which sides finished first and which finished second. How am I supposed to know the sides that I can face? The fix is simple: two coloumns - the right side should contain the teams who finished top, and the left should have the second-placed teams. The logic behind the placement is that teams who finish first are away for the first leg.

The second recommendation is a cosmetic change too. Whilst viewing my managerial achievements I'm greeted with lines of text, which somewhat takes away from any sense of 'pride'. Why doesn't the achievement window mimic the layout for a club's history? I think there would be more satisfaction in seeing silhouettes for the trophies you have won. The same could happen for awards quite easily. I can accept that text would be necessary for describing managerial movement. If the manager hasn't won anything, then why not have a breakdown for each competition they've participated in? In the same way that you can see where a club exited the FA Cup, you should be able to see a best overall performance for each competition and then a chronological list on demand.

No idea if this has been mentioned before, but i'll post this anyways.

I would like being able to decide when to start a job when offered (for example saying that i wanna join at the end of the current season instead of suddenly leaving). This also for AI managers, so that manager movements are a bit more realistic (quite some times managers say they leave at the end of the season, giving the clubs the time to get a replacement that can start at the moment the current coach will leave).

I know that at the moment there sometimes are caretaker managers appointed, but i'd like to see this more often (mostly seeing it at bigger clubs, often when a coach get fired his assistant for example takes over for the remainder of the season, at least thats the case in Holland).

It'd also solve the issues with AI managers suddenly moving to a job to a lower ranked team in the league (manager overperforming with a team, then at 75% of the season suddenly moving to a less performing, higher reputation club). Basicly giving AI Managers the awareness that they are doing great with the current team, hence no reason to move.

I'd like to be able to add set piece instructions in player's profiles, to create instant PPM at set pieces if you like, so that these will be their "default" instructions in tactics. Once in tactics, you will be able to override them and have them do something else if you like, if you have too many people doing the same thing, or too few in your free-kick wall. In real life if you had Ibrahimovic subbed for Robinho for example, and you'd had Ibra challenging the keeper at corners, you wouldn't have to tell Robinho he shouldn't be attempting the same thing. In the game, he'd come on with his default set piece instructions, which would be different from those of Ibra.

proper AI development of players, buying a player that has PA is useless when the club hold on to them until they are 20-25 and leave them in reserves.

sometimes you get lucky and they are developed (a 19 pace welbeck out of man utd was a nice surprise)

the single set piece instructions could be an issue, i have 2 players with decent long throws, if i could set indivdual instructions for throw ins they both would have the same instruction, as they have only ever played together for about 10 minutes a season and do the exact same job (defence). so if both were together then what?

A much improved network game! This can be done by:

- A less laggy UI. Waiting 2-10 seconds every time you click on a player\team\anything really is very annoying. I suspect this is due to the clients having to ask the server for info every time you click on something. Why can't the client have their own database stored locally and just updated every time something changes (this could be done in the background). Which brings me to my next point:

- Less clicks per day. Why do we need to click continue 5+ times a day? One "continue" a day would suffice for most non-match days.

- The ability to search for players\staff or do anything else while on holiday. The game could go on in the background while I could look at players etc.(but not interact with them in any way).

proper comparisons in scouting reports, if i scout a player i want to know if he has potential to be better then player that fits that role.

rather then me scouting some new gen with good acceleration and pace, and he gets compared to the best striker at the squad... who is my DLF and therfore comparison is useless to me.

I would like to be asked in a press conference about the coach of the next/previous opposition, who is one of my ex-players, or even ex-member off my staff.

It would be nice to see something like:

- "How do you feel meeting your former player/coach"

- "Do you fear he knows everything about you as a manager and he will take that to his advantage in the next match?"

- "<Head Coach name> declared that he has learned a lot from <Me>; How do you see him as a manager? As a manager, will he ever match the things achieved as a player?"

- "After grabbing the win in your last meeting, do you thing that your former student will achieve more than you as a manager?", like the student who outclasses his professor.

- etc.

I know these have been mentioned before but I thought I'd mention them again to add weight to the requests.

I'd like to be able to bring my (entire or a select few) backroom staff to a new club should I decide to move. I know I'd be able to do that if i offered each and every one an individual contract, but wouldn't it be easier if you could request that your backroom staff are brought to your new club when you are offered a contract?

Also, and this is one I'd most like to see, I think it would be great if you could declare your interest in managing in another country, or at another club. Talk to the press and tell them "One day I'd love to manage in <enter country here>" which would alert clubs in that country, possibly making them offer you a contract in one, two, three years time.

When you put younger players on the loan list who you want to gain first team experience for a whole season you should be able to bring up a page with the list of your players you've made available for loan and then next to them it should say which affiliated clubs they're willing to go on loan to and if they'll get first team football or not and not be some bench warmer all season... if they are unsure of the loan deal you should be able to interact with them and say im sending you on loan to Ipswich Town as i feel you will get alot of playing time under your belt which will do wonders for your development.

i hate being a premier league club signing a hot prospect and not being able to loan them out to an affiliated club as they have no intention of going on loan.. should be able to persuade them.

i think since last year SI made so much more money using steam there should be definatly a option to build and expand the facilitys and stadion in some sort of visual way (meaning 3D)... all the talk about "its not the managers job" is so low, its 2013 who cares if it's the managers job or not? its a game, if its not your job, nobody ask you to make use of that option, same for the "attribute masking" etc... and all the "we dont want a T.C.M. copy".. i mean if they got "good" ideas or ideas that are fun... why not take them? in the end haters gonna hate.. no matter how good of a job you gonna do with the 2013..

and maybe to make it a "touch" more realistic, you may can buy parts of the club with your own money you gain from the contract... so you at least get a chairman board to expand the stadium or start some sort of voting on a decision or something...

of even become the owner/chairman some time... so you get to expand the stadium or something your own way... its just so much more fun to play to have more options

I would prefer to see SI invest the extra income in additional programmers to develop a much more realistic match engine & more challenging AI managers.

Pretty Stadiums - needless fluff

Investing your own money buying real estate for the club - not even close to realistic

Become a club owner - This is football manager, not football club tycoon.

If these are the sort of areas that interest you the most then there are already products on the market that focus on them.

you do forget if you make the AI and engines more and more "realistic" it takes up processing time and if you dont wanna wait for 2 minutes to pass one day, its not gonna get any more better than this probably...the processing time needs to be reasonable in order to keep playing... its very complicated

such as programming layout for stadions or private part of the game is much easier to do and adds extra game options to keep people interested...

not to mention the sales numbers would shoot trough the roof if football manager would be any near T.C.M. option wise... which would give em even more money to make your game more realistic... but whatever... iam not the guy behind the buisness model of SI games

I think you're over-estimating the market share that T.C.M had & it's successor FIFA Manager has.

As for longer processing times the game will just have to leave behind support for older architecture which is something SI used to do, I remember playing CM3 on a 667Mhz Pentium III based PC but when CM4 was released I had to accept that it was no longer up to the task & the time to replace had arrived.

I upgraded in 2007 & thanks to a small windfall I went for a major upgrade in 2009.

Now nearly 5 years on & my old Q6600 would still be happily able to cope with FM12 but back in 2009 what would have been a 5 year old P4 system would have struggled with the latest game.

Transfer deadline day is massive in R/L, so think this should be a massive in the next football manager. Even the last week of the transfer window should be alot more busy than the start.

Deadline day - Loads of roumors, reporters asking questions, deals falling through at last minute, deals going through at last minute, players registration not going through on time, waiting on results of medicals, Clubs offering and bidding on players. Clubs offering more money for players. Agents getting more involved, media asking questions etc.

actually T.C.M. / Fifa Manager series is struggling for the last 2+ years heavily on the sales... because 90% of the users are aware that if you buy a original copy of the game, the bugs are unbearable... you need to wait at least 3 or 4 patches to get the game somewhere near "working"... i keep track of the german forums for FIFA manager the game alone is complete joke the bugs in the original versions are of epic proportions, facility upgrades that cauz critical errors.. rooney playing as right defender.. Raul put up as defensive mitfielder this goes on and on trough out the whole game its one big mess

the release date of fifa manager series is when the game price drops 50% and the final patch is released.. thats when you can think about "playing" the game...

therefore football manager is the one and only options of the genre but for most football fans out there its just 2 complicated, the tutorial is nice is year sure but the overall layout and game handling can be very frustrating and dissapointing if you are not very handy on the webz and look up for some actually "working" tactics and training schedules you have a near to 0 chance to be as successful as you might want to be

there are countless threads where people seemingly "cant win" because they are using default strategies or some they just created in a minute or two via tactic creator, there should be some kind of overall "understanding" from the assistant side where he tells you in the backroom why your tactic is failing so hard or something along those lines.. this might be a good point for a future idea ;-)

You're last paragraph is a good idea, would certainly help make the game less daunting for newer players or those who struggle to come up with a good tactical approach although I think it should be an on/off feature so that it does not become an obtrusive annoyance for more experienced players

Does the manager of the Gents team manage the Ladies team?

I don't think so. Not sure what that would add. The database is already quite large with a majority of the semi-pro and professional players.

I'm not aware of any women footballers that play professional football at the same level as professional men play at.

Not having a dig, but I think it's just that they're not good enough to play at the same level. I'm sure in the future there will be women footballers playing in the same leagues alongside men, but I don't see it happening soon.

they should add training camps to the game... and let you select who you gonna take to the camp and who not..etc

its quite stunning that this is football manager !!2012!! theres still no training camps... i can feel the hate of all the "ITS NOT THE MANAGERS JOB" dudes breathing down my neck for this post :p

Are you just picking out features from FIFA that aren't in FM? :D

I actually think training camps could be introduced but only for the biggest clubs as even mid-table Premier league sides will do all their pre-season work at home with the occasional trip to the local Army base if their manager is an old school fitness freak, linking it to an overseas pre/mid-season tour would be the likely way to go with this.

It would probably be more useful (and realistic) for international managers prior to a major tournament.

As an after thought you'd also have to consider what if any additional benefit is gained from having an overseas training camp as opposed to just training at home, clubs spend a fortune on state of the art facilities for a reason.

Probably already said, but saying it again won't hurt : Better management of feeder clubs

I would like to ask the Board, in what continent / zone looking for a affiliated club.

Search in South America. I would like an Italian affiliation. Go for Asia. etc...

cheers

the second last team of the poland second division (Polonia Bytom) are actually in Turkey (like every year) now, because winter in east europe is very snowy and if you dont have the facilities and funds unlike enligh clubs, the only option is to leave the country to get some good training and preperation done

so to be as "realistic" as possible, it should be an option in football manager i think

the second last team of the poland second division (Polonia Bytom) are actually in Turkey (like every year) now, because winter in east europe is very snowy and if you dont have the facilities and funds unlike enligh clubs, the only option is to leave the country to get some good training and preperation done

so to be as "realistic" as possible, it should be an option in football manager i think

Basically any team which has the resources for it, should be allowed to. The board can set limits on how far away they can go, and how many players you can bring etc. ... but many danish top league sides (and some wealthier second tier sides) go for training camps in Turkey and Spain mainly during winter break.

Harsher team talks, sick of saying "im not happy with that peformance". Just gets boring, should be more like " you're dropped for the next game" or " Why did you even bother turning up today".

I just want my players to feel my hate after playing ****.

Archived