Wishlist: What you would like to see in future versions of the game. All 'list' ideas in here.

In the scouting knowledge section of the game, instead of just listing countries your club has knowledge of (and shading differently according to the level of knowledge), this should be scrapped to make way for a flat map of the world, with the countries you have knowledge of being bright green (100% knowledge) medium green or another colour entirely (50/60%) and so on.

Also, feeder and parent clubs should be displayed on the map, perhaps by a red dot with the name of the club underneath?

What do you think?

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A tip for the SI staff: instead of keeping a generic wishlist while some people will keep posting their ideas in new threads anyway, filling up the general discussion forum, why don't you open another dedicated football manager forum for "ideas for future versions of FM"? There people will open their thread stating in the title the main ideas they have and expanding them in the thread, and people can discuss whether those ideas are good or bad and contribute with their suggestions.

- Make it possible to set a scouting assignment for all free agents. I don't know if there's an easy way to do this at present, but the only way I've found is to manually assign a scout to every player on the unattached list. Not a very interesting way to spend your time, and very frustrating when you are with a club with no money who need to rely on free transfers.

- Cause morale to take less of a hit when you play a vastly superior side, put up a good fight, but still end up losing narrowly. I've had occasions where my team have been flying in the league, everyone on 'Superb' morale, and then come up against an amazing side in Europe or a cup who I'm expected to struggle against. We go out and play well, but in the end their quality shows through and we lose 1-0 or 2-1. After this I find that everyone's morale has shot down, and all of a sudden I'm not doing so well in the league anymore. This would be understandable if we'd taken a mauling, but surely the players should be at least pleased that they gave a good account of themselves against superior opposition?

- Second-rate backup players should be more understanding when they aren't getting in the team. I'm getting fed up of a backup player having 'Feels he should be a first team regular' as a concern, when the first team player in his position is world-class and unquestionably better. Perhaps they could come to you accepting that they won't get in the side all the while that the world class player is fit and doing the business, and ask for you to look into a loan move for them so that they can get a bit more first-team action? I appreciate that many pro footballers IRL are egotistical types, and you could have extreme examples where they moan regardless, but surely the majority of individuals would have the common sense to not think things like 'How is Messi getting in the team ahead of ME?'.

I would like to see a Tactic board, so you can lie down the opponents formations over your own and mess around with it.

http://www.mjsport.co.uk/DiamondTacticBoard.jpg

I'm not exactly sure how it could develop but I LOVE this idea as a starter for ten. Maybe as part of a new training regime = Match Preparation. Your Assistant and Coaches could hold meetings about the way the next opposition have been playing and their key men. It could increase the dynamics then of an aggressive player you have wanted to make his mark on their "key player".

I think the idea has some legs. Perhaps the overlay could have 3 areas:

• Opposition In Defence
  • Opposition in Transition
  • Opposition In Attack

The above could be toggled and overlaid with your own current tactics to see how they match up. Opposition tactics could be made up of the most frequently used tactic in the last 5 games for instance.

Some good ideas there Khalev.

- Second-rate backup players should be more understanding when they aren't getting in the team. I'm getting fed up of a backup player having 'Feels he should be a first team regular' as a concern, when the first team player in his position is world-class and unquestionably better. .

I've always looked at this as one of two things:

* He believes he should be in YOUR first team

* He believes he should be playing first team football.

@offley hornet

1) no. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sims-PC-Mac-DVD/dp/B0015YDH6O

2) definitely a sound idea and perfectly realistic

@J88_ftm

Agree with your last point, its excrutiating. Then again its usually my fault for telling them they'll be important first team when that's blatantly a lie.

Didn't there used to be audio commentary in like CM2 from that lower league commentator (LLC) that used to do club videos etc.?

Option to buy a contract with SI Games a la Everton to give you a greater scouting network revealing more players and hidden attributes?

Here's some of my suggestions and fixes to make fm 11 better, I have numbered them for quick reference

Injuries

1. Injuries such as a stubbed toe or a broken finger, bruised ribs or a facial injury should be light injuries (with a yellow INJ icon), the player should be able to participate in light training and play in matches (although with a lowered condition) while having a light injury.

2. When you hover over the INJ icon it should display the injury type, as well as time remaining until the player recovers.

Contracts

3. When signing a contract some players will ask for too much money as a signing on fee. I doubt a club will give a player 1 million signing on fee when his transfer is 10 million.

Regens

4. Regens seem to have their attributes capped at 17 upon creation, however some attributes do not increase with training (attributes like determination, bravery, acceleration, pace, flair, eccentricity and probably more) so those attributes should not be capped.

Match engine

5. Players miss with headers too much, I understand this was done for balance so I suggest these things to balance out corners/crosses:

- Player that is marked should have a ( (Marking Player's marking skill - Attacking player's Heading Skill) + 10)% chance of missing the goal with his header, IF he manages to win the header, this is just an example algorithm

- When defending a corner more players should contest a header, in real life there could be more than 5 players jumping for a header

- The goalkeeper should be more effective at defending corners, he should try to punch away the ball more often, especially if he has high aerial ability

6. When the ball goes out in the stands it will magically bounce back into the field, why not instead have someone throw another ball into the field.

7. Eccentric goalkeepers dont really do much outrageous stuff, a goalkeeper with 20 eccentricity should be totally crazy, trying to dribble attackers and doing moves like the scorpion kick.

Bugs I found

8. When a player shoots most of the time he will stop moving after shooting and lose the chance to score a rebound because he will be outrun by the defenders.

9. When a player is tackled from behind, most of the time he does not fall to the ground and the opposing player can sometimes just walk through the player in possession from behind and get the ball without tackling him.

10. When a player gets an injury sometimes he just sits on the ground, he should fall to the ground.

11. When a goalkeeper gets lobbed he does not turn around to try to catch the ball but instead walks backwards really slowly, letting in some very stupid goals.

12. When the goalkeeper tries to punch away a very powerful shot he sometimes ends up putting it into his own net, this happens even with world class goalkeepers.

13. Sometimes the goalkeeper has magical hands, he does not even touch the ball but somehow manages to save it, this happens especially when the goalkeeper dives to the ground to make a save.

14. When a ball is going to land directly on top of the keeper he does not simply catch it but does stupid things like punching it away, and sometimes punching it into his own goal.

15. Sometimes a defender will regain control of a loose ball in his own half while facing his goal with an opposing player on his back, he will try to back pass but will miss the goal entirely giving away a corner for no reason.

16. At a press conference, when you say that your team will win the league your players will get upset even if you are in 1st spot and have a big lead, they also get upset if you say that a rival team will win the league

I hope someone from SI will read this because most of these can be fixed very quickly and will provide a more enjoyable experience

@offley hornet

1) no. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sims-PC-Mac-DVD/dp/B0015YDH6O

2) definitely a sound idea and perfectly realistic

@J88_ftm

Agree with your last point, its excrutiating. Then again its usually my fault for telling them they'll be important first team when that's blatantly a lie.

Didn't there used to be audio commentary in like CM2 from that lower league commentator (LLC) that used to do club videos etc.?

Option to buy a contract with SI Games a la Everton to give you a greater scouting network revealing more players and hidden attributes?

Erm sorry mate I don't get it. Why have you shown me a link of the Sims?

I was thinking of a few random ideas for FM:

New Features:

Player linking

I think they should incorporate something in the tactics screen where you can link play between certain players, like a full back and a winger or two central midfielders or a gerrard-torres type thing, because that often happens alot

Continent battle

Although not common in the real world, I like different competitions in my game of FM. I love it when the domestic league is near the end and it's all to play for, I love the champions league and europe playoffs and my fav is of course the world cup and euro cups but this doesn't come by quickly. I was thinking FM should do something in the middle or end of a season, something like a continent battle where the best go at it .. Western Europe, Southern Europe, Eastern Europe, Northern Europe, Africa, South America, North America, Asia .. would be fun games to see :p

Features to update:

Transfers

I like to see my competition is on the same level as me. So would be nice for the transfer part to be more realistic. For example, a top team would obviously need a goalkeeper or a right back but don't even bother buying one

Keepers

I noticed in my old game. As I got to season 2020 or something, the players would still be good but keepers abilities would drop down :<

Realism

I really hope they fix the bug where top teams play alot of youngsters vs bad opponents and end up losing, quite annoying and lame way to lose a title :p

New

Do something new and exciting with the news! A sky sports theme? Audio recordings?

Trying to think of other stuff atm Interested to see other suggestions aswell though :p

I hope this is read some time :]

I think because your idea was about playing dress up. In which case you need the Sims, not FM.

There is absolutely no way that my idea is a bad or silly one. Granted, you could load up a real time editor and do it that way, but surely doing it like this adds a little extra sense of realism to the game?

There is absolutely no way that my idea is a bad or silly one. Granted, you could load up a real time editor and do it that way, but surely doing it like this adds a little extra sense of realism to the game?

No it doesn't add realism. If the manager decided the kit then fair enough. As it is they have zero input so its not needed in FM. Should the kits change ingame? For sure. Should it be my job to choose them? No. Lets hope Dynamic Kit Design is included in FM one day.

my biggest wishes:

- dynamic PA: directly related to a player's performance (I'm not talking about making huge changes in PA, but maybe sth like max 10-15 points up will make the game more realistic IMO)

- possibility to 'train' players on their personality / or to influence your players personality with e.g. interaction: example: I don't think Cristiano Ronaldo would have been world class today if he hadn't been developed by Alex Ferguson... Am I wrong?

---> or e.g.: your staff's discipline etc ratings should have an impact on players personality...

No it doesn't add realism. If the manager decided the kit then fair enough. As it is they have zero input so its not needed in FM. Should the kits change ingame? For sure. Should it be my job to choose them? No. Lets hope Dynamic Kit Design is included in FM one day.

How do you know that managers in real life have no input into next season's strips? For boring FM players like you, SI could include a option telling the board that you like all the options :)

How do you know that managers in real life have no input into next season's strips? For boring FM players like you, SI could include a option telling the board that you like all the options :)

Because they don't.

And if not wanting a game of dress up in my FM makes me boring then so be it :)

Didn't realise I was in court.

Were's your proof they are involved?

I don't have any proof they are involved, but I never actually said they were. You said they weren't, but you don't have any proof.

Going back to my original point, what is so wrong with my suggestion? Again, if you don't want the option of choosing kit colours every season or two, you should be able to tell the board you do not mind. Then the majority can have some input into their team's kit for the forthcoming season, and the minority who don't like the idea can have the option to let the game decide. It's a win win situation :)

I've said this a few times over the years, but i wouldn't mind being able to see how many away fans are in attendance at games, or if not, then maybe even in the message on the news screen afterwards.

Like where you get this message on FM " Team A will travel over 80 miles for there upcoming cup clash with Team B. "

It could say something like " Over 2'000 noisey Team B fans made the trip to Team A's Stadium today for the local derby match, but left downhearted following there team's heavy defeat."

i would like for you the manager to have a wish list of players you would love to have in youre squad and then see if the chairman goes out and buys any of these targets for you,every manager has a wish list in real life so it would be a good feature to have for fm11.

I dont know if it already been mentioned, but I like to have the option of perhaps starting off managing youth teams at a certain club, then work my way up to reserve team manager and then eventually taking over as first team manager.

Hi to all the team of Sports Interactive, Sorry for my english.

---The physics of the ball when it score in the nets, is more real, when you score a goal ,remains stuck in the net of the

goal box instead of moving inside the goal box, as if it were real, this would give more realism to dial a goal, better

graphics in most real nets, including more diversity in the size of netss, as happened in the FM2009.

---Put the shield on your team in the nets of the goal or on the lawn next to the bench, so that you notice at field where

they play.

---I dont see well what equipment and selection of training at a time, this might seem more real, that the selection was to

train consequence of doing well with the team.

---Missing screens champions when it is league or cup, league cup or cup with the name corresponding your team.

---Incorporate a tactical option for players to make coverage for partners to rise to the attack. Example: if one side goes up

to attack the central band can cover it by the coverage, power tactics page to make the players do.

All these improvements would be well, may I continue to encourage all who componeis Sports Interactive team for you to

continue doing as good as before, a greeting from Barcelona.

1) "Penalty stopping" as an attribute for keepers

2) J-League

3) Ability to upgrade stadiums like on FML (then have it so u can chose to have terracing behind the goal for example for atmosphere = team moral boost or something)

4) Ability to build youth camps like on FML

5) Better graphics, players & stadiums

6) Corner bug fixed

7) More of a deal when u win leagues/cups

8) Maybe a 3D Ceremony when u win something (Different for every comp tho)

9) Sell stadium name rights for money

10) Smoother game play, players running at defenders not running wide and then crossing it even when crossing is on the lowest

Cant think of anymore

Most of this is based on FM 2010 but with the new features of FM 2011 that have so far been announced I felt I could expand a little.

First off, I'd like to throw in my vote for all the usual stuff, foreign academies etc... but here are my other thoughts

STAFF ROLES

I'd like to see more staff roles in the game but with some not being available to lower rep or lower league clubs, for example there's no team doctor on FM, alright we've got physios but i'd like to see some doctors in there too. Also missing are dedicated striker coaches (e.g. Andy Cole at Huddersfield), i know you can use the coach assignments etc to give the same effect but i'd like to see specific roles included as part of job negotiations because if i was to sign Andy Cole to coach my defenders, it would be a waste of training. Another thing the game misses is academy managers: rather than having a youth coach who manages the youth team, many teams are set up more like national teams are in the game and in at least one case the academy manger has his own assistant manager. I also think there should be other roles like head coach which gives you another option in training, where at the moment we can spend forever setting up schedules or we can go with the default ones and pray they're good enough, a head coach would be good middle ground, a way of controlling training without having to fiddle about with sliders for hours on end. The head coach would speak to the manager and/or assistant manager about what training should be acheiving and where the focus should be and then go away and set up new schedules for the players. With the new conversation feature in FM 2011 there could be meetings of staff every month/3 months/6 months/year where training is discussed and the manager could choose to leave it to the staff or to attend. The way the player utilises the head coach would of course contribute to their hands-on rating. The next role i would like to bring to your attention is that of match analyst. there is one employed at most professional clubs (and at sheffield wednesday she is considered important enough to make the start of season team photo). in my vision, the match analyst would give feedback on your players performances but also work with your scouts to analyse future opponents. At richer clubs this would be acheived by sending scouts to watch future opponents and having the option of having them obtain video footage for the analyst to study, but at poorer clubs it would probably involve sending the analyst out with the scout. This would hopefully mean that pre-match advice would arrive much earlier in the week and would allow for training to be tailored to combat the next opponents and their style of play. A head scout would also be a nice addition, he being one who would act as a middle man to organise your scouts to make them more effective.

MULTI-JOBBED PEOPLE

It would be nice for people in the game to be able to have two jobs at the same time, e.g. Tony Roberts is the Dagenham and Redbridge keeper but also trains Arsenal's youth goalkeepers, Craig Bellamy plays for Cardiff but is also head of the Craig Bellamy Foundation, an academy on the game. Both of these people are on the game twice instead of having two seperate contracts. It would, i imagine, be hard to implement this change but i'd like to see Tony Roberts have both of his jobs in-game.

CLUB AFFILIATIONS

Club affiliations could be re-worked, for example the "first option to buy" should also include the selling club being obliged to offer players to the team who has the option before transfer listing them, this being a more realistic reflection of having first option on something. Similarly, the "players go on loan" clause should mean that the parent club could set certain players' squad status to "Available for feeder club(s)" or "Available to club X". Also teams marked as B,C,2,3 or II teams should be treated exactly as ordinary reserve teams are. Another club afilliation option would be for the parent club in a local partnership to allow the feeder club to train with them for one day a week, thus benefiting from superior facilities and coaches. Feeder clubs could also send coaches to parent clubs to learn about training techniques used at better teams, thus boosting their own training standards. The "play freindlies" option could also be reworked so that rather than just automatically playing freindlies every year, the parent club must accept a freindly proposal from the feeder club.

TRANSFERS AND CONTRACTS

Transfers and contracts need more clauses and bonuses. Numerous examples have already been mentioned but some of the best are:

FOR TRANSFERS

loan-back clauses (the player is immediately loaned back to the selling club for 6/12/18/24 months)

loan option clauses (this would set up an afilliation as described above with certain players being marked as available for loan to the selling club)

Afilliation clause (the buying club would become a parent or feeder club, depending on the clubs' relative stature)

League Finish Bonus (an extra one-off payment based upon the buying clubs league position with options for this to cover the next season or the season after or both or over the course of the player's stay at the buying club)

Non-relegation bonus (an extra one-off payment based upon the buying club avoiding relegation with the same options as above)

Promotion Bonus (same as now but with an optional expiry date so: promotion to League 1 before 2013/14 season)

League Title Bonus (with an optional expiry date)

FA Cup win Bonus (as above)

Other Cup win Bonus (as above)

Continental Cup Win Bonus (as above)

Continental Cup Qualification Bonus (as above)

Goals per Season Bonus (every time the player scores X amount of goals in all competitions for the next N years the selling club will receive a one-off payment)

League Goals per Season Bonus (as above but only for league goals)

Apps per Season Bonus (every time the player makes X amount of appearances over the next N years the selling club will receive a one-off payment)

League Apps per Season Bonus (as above but only counting league appearances)

Goal Bonus (once the player has scored a set amount of goals within a given time-frame, the selling club receives a one-off payment)

App Bonus (as above, but appearances rather than goals)

International Goal Bonus (as above)

International App Bonus (as above)

FOR LOANS

Loan swap option (e.g JA Reyes/Julio Baptista swapped between Arsenal/Real Madrid)

Appearances bonus (fee paid after X appearances)

Goals bonus (fee paid after X goals)

Appearance recall trigger (player recalled if not made X appearances in set time-frame)

Appearance buy-out trigger (player automatically bought for agreed fee after X appearances)

Position (“selling” club may wish player to gain experience in a certain position)

When loaning to a smaller local team it would be good to include the option of the player training with the "selling" club one day a week so he can still get a high standard of coaching

FOR CONTRACTS

Minimum Fee Clauses (for favourite team, for top division teams, for teams from certain countries, for teams from home country, for Europa League teams, for Champions League teams)

Release Clauses (for relegation, for non-promotion, for managerial/coaching jobs, for player/manager jobs, after failing to qualify for Europe, for relegation below a set level, i.e. League 2., for non-promotion within set time-frame)

League Finish Bonus

Non-Relegation Bonus

League Title Bonus

Promotion Bonus

FA Cup Win Bonus

Other Cup Win Bonus

Continental Cup Win Bonus

Continental Cup Qualification Bonus

Goals per Season Bonus

League Goals per Season Bonus

Apps per Season Bonus

League Apps per Season Bonus

Goal Bonus

Apps Bonus

When negotiating with other clubs it would be nice to be able to state which aspects of your offer you are willing to negotiate and which you aren't rather than just setting this for the whole offer. If a team make an offer or enquiry, I would like to be able to tell them the player is not for sale but that I can offer them a loan/co-ownership deal.

YOUTH TEAMS

I've raised the issue of more/younger youth teams before and the answer has been that child protection prevents SI from publishing data about children, which is fair enough, but why does that stop us having an under 15s team filled with newgens or grey players?

Small and mostly cosmetic but, being able to refuse to give your name to new stadium, and the ability to change the name would be a good feature.

I am honored and all, but sometimes my name is just won't fit.

Playing Millwall now, and Burak as a new stadium name looks like a facepalm after "The Den", the legendary ground for team for more than 80 years.

My biggest problem is that in real life I believe most managers have two shapes in mind that they would like their team to adhere to, one for when the team is in possession and one for when the team is not. In FM I struggle to get my team to resemble the shape I want them too when defending and I guess it's largely down to the closing down slider, in real life I would be able to tell my team clearly when we are in possession I want us to be in such and such a shape, however when we lose the ball this is the shape I want us to assume.

When my team is attacking and in possession I want them to pass the ball around and stretch the opposition making the pitch as wide as possible, but when the ball is lost I want my team to come much more narrow. When in possession I want my central defenders to hold a position just deeper than the halfway line, however I don't want that to be my defensive line when possession is lost. I believe this could be solved pretty easily by providing the opportunity to give your team 2 sets of seperate tactics, i.e what you want them to do when they have the ball and what you would like them to do when they don't have the ball. As it is I believe this to be a very poorly implemented aspect of the game.

Having just watched my team play keep ball for a full 5 minutes during a crucial league match while my centre back had just picked up a knock reducing his condition to 60%, I had the idea that I'd like to see a new touchline shout of 'get ball out of play' or something similar to allow my substitution to be made with less risk of losing possession and conceding a goal.

Forgive me if I'm a bit behind the times - I haven't played FM since the 2007 version (before that I'd owned every release since around 2000).

One thing I'd love to have introduced is some recognition for work done in the lower leagues and winning trophies such as the League Cup.

If you get 40 points (I think it was) for winning the Premiership or Serie A, then surely 20 points or so would be appropriate for winning the Championship or Serie B etc.

Similarly, 20 points were gained for the FA Cup whereas none were awarded for The League Cup. Granted, it is not such a prestigious trophy, but some recognition is deserved (10 points?). It is worthy of note that many of the big clubs, who didn't take it seriously for a number of years, now deem it worthwhile pursuing.

I love the idea of building your reputation over the years and accruing a score to compare yourself against the greats; but receiving no reward for work done in the lower divisions or League Cup was really frustrating.

Any thoughts?

Was this addressed in later editions?

Thanks for reading.

'Kick the ball out of play' is a great idea.

Another thing I think would improve the reality (and fun) of the game is being able to take / attract staff and players with you when you change clubs.

From my previous experience, players may list you as a 'favoured personnel', but that seemed to have littel bearing on transfer negotiations.

Similarly, if you'd managed a club successfully for a few years, it would be natural to want to take some of your back room staff with you. However, whenever I tried to lure AMs, coaches or scouts that I'd worked with before, they'd rarely make the jump.

Some other enhancements I'd like to see:

Option to select languages spoken - not just nationalities - and selct more than two.

I speak 3 languages fluently (English, Italian and Spanish) and would like to be able to transfer that advantage to the game!

Chance to suggest feeder and parent clubs to board, not just accept their options.

Some other enhancements I'd like to see:

Option to select languages spoken - not just nationalities - and selct more than two.

I speak 3 languages fluently (English, Italian and Spanish) and would like to be able to transfer that advantage to the game!

Chance to suggest feeder and parent clubs to board, not just accept their options.

Your latter suggestion is already in the game isn't it?

I´m a little behind since I´m playing FM2008, so maybe this isn´t a problem anymore, but:

1. Bring back the HUGE database!!

It was in FM2006, but is gone in FM2008!! :mad: What is the point of a Football Manager game with hundreds of thousands of players when most of them doesn´t even get included in the largest database?? It makes scouting shallow and boring, and makes the game world feel empty and less realistic. :(

2. Change the "Load all players from..."

Since I wanted a huge database I had to manually select most world countries with this option instead. And what a painful ordeal that was!! There was no option to "Select all" or "Select all from Europe", but instead I had to MANUALLY SELECT EACH COUNTRY!! :mad: That was even more irritating since the hideous menu resetted after every choice, so I had to scroll down from the beginning every single time!! :thdn:

I would suggest:

1. Have the following database sizes

* Small

* Medium

* Large

* Huge

* Complete (including all players in the entire database)

2. The "Load all players from" should be a separate screen where all countries are available under their respective continent. When you click on for example "Africa" you get a new screen with all African nations and you can easily checkmark them one after another. Also, there should be options like "Load all players from Africa" to make the process easier!

Want to: Be able to comment on opposition players after the match, about the match.

When one of their players causing 1+ month injury to my one or more players, I just want to say something about him. ("He has a better future as a butcher, than a footballer" etc.)

100% agree with most of that, you as a manger should actually have to do something, and have your own in-game life, a family, outside football hobbies, house, etc, its called football manager, so add some stuff about the manager to make it more life-like,

the sliding bars annoy me, got to have set training schedules so that you can actually see what the players are doing, (idea - have the sliding bar to show how your home made schedule improves, lots of shooting practise for example, the shooting slider goes up, etc)

and yes, bust ups, player communication, club/agent/manager communication is all needed, plus can we get some more backroom staff, rather than have 6 pointless physios, get nutrionists, physiologist, psychologists involved, we all know they work in football, lets introduce them

I think there does need to be a new youth team set up, just the other day i was watching the manchester united premier cup, (under 15 tournament in which clubs all around the world compete with each other for a spot at entering the competition at old trafford) why not allow a major club like man utd, chelsea, barcelona etc. to have their own academies, with schools and safe training areas (ie not the syringe needles of argentina's playgrounds) to help improve scouting, club image, and the development of youngsters

Just another suggestion :)

- Make it possible to set a scouting assignment for all free agents. I don't know if there's an easy way to do this at present, but the only way I've found is to manually assign a scout to every player on the unattached list. Not a very interesting way to spend your time, and very frustrating when you are with a club with no money who need to rely on free transfers.

- Cause morale to take less of a hit when you play a vastly superior side, put up a good fight, but still end up losing narrowly. I've had occasions where my team have been flying in the league, everyone on 'Superb' morale, and then come up against an amazing side in Europe or a cup who I'm expected to struggle against. We go out and play well, but in the end their quality shows through and we lose 1-0 or 2-1. After this I find that everyone's morale has shot down, and all of a sudden I'm not doing so well in the league anymore. This would be understandable if we'd taken a mauling, but surely the players should be at least pleased that they gave a good account of themselves against superior opposition?

- Second-rate backup players should be more understanding when they aren't getting in the team. I'm getting fed up of a backup player having 'Feels he should be a first team regular' as a concern, when the first team player in his position is world-class and unquestionably better. Perhaps they could come to you accepting that they won't get in the side all the while that the world class player is fit and doing the business, and ask for you to look into a loan move for them so that they can get a bit more first-team action? I appreciate that many pro footballers IRL are egotistical types, and you could have extreme examples where they moan regardless, but surely the majority of individuals would have the common sense to not think things like 'How is Messi getting in the team ahead of ME?'.

al i can say is, steve harper, at newcastle for what, 13 seasons now, only just made his 125th appearance (if hes made that yet) never complaining about it in his life, hero? money grabber? or would he demand a request for transfer after not playing for 10 games in the season?? think about it?

Archived