Your age limits?

No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no *screams* there's no limit *takes breath*

Apart from giving away a certain minimum age with this, what I intend to say it that quality matters more than age to me. If a player still performs well enough then I'm happy to keep him. I don't sell players before a certain age just to profit of their transfer value as long as it's decent. In practice that means that I usually sell players between 31 and 33.

It depends a lot on the player;

1) Good journeyman player who is not crucial to team and me: I sell them when they hit 30 so I can still make money from them before they are officially considered old in transfer market.

2) Good player important to team but I do not like him: I usually arrange their contracts so that I give them free transfer when they are about 33(+/-1). I do not even bother selling them because usually it is not worth going through negotiation for these players for small money. During their last year they are already sitting on bench so letting them go becomes easy decision.

3) Long serving local heroes or my personal favorites: If they want so much money or if they complain a lot when they go to bench then they belong to above second category otherwise I keep signing them until they retire and even try to sign them as a coach/scout... I know emotions towards bits and bytes is stupid but :)

What's bothering me is that most of the players age at the same rate. They all start deteriorating once they hit 30-31, and by the time they are 33-34 they are not good enough for your team, no matter how good they were when they were at their peak. Sure you can still use them as backup, for another 1-2 years maybe, but my point is that IRL we see some players who don't show any sign of slowing down until they are 33-34. Now I know that there is this hidden attribute in FM, "professionalism", which is supposed to determine how slow the players will deteriorate, but I observed that the effect of that attribute is probably really low since (like I said) every player in FM seems to age at more or less the same rate. I wish we could see some variety here, like some players (like Paul Gascoigne) should go down even before hitting 30, and some players should still be one of your best players when they are 34. It is especially bothering me with the center backs. IRL good CB's can still be very very good when they are 33-34-35. Not in FM. The ME should be tweaked in a way that some mental attributes (like anticipation) should be more important for CB's which should compensate for their reduced (with age) speed. It is ridiculous that CB's in FM already pass their prime by the age of 31-32. 31-34 should be the best ages for a CB.

29 or 30 depending on when they turn that age if. they will turn 30 before the half way mark of a season they go at 29. 30 for others. Although a couple of exceptions to the rule for me. If i got a player whose 29 about to turn 29 and a huge bid comes in for him. hes gone normally i have blooded my youngsters and usually have a replacement for them

• 2 weeks later...

29 for outfield, and 31 for goalkeepers unless the player is very good or I'm playing lower leagues, even then though I would still only give them a one year extension, as well as letting them go if they asked for ridiculous wages.

Well, sometimes there is no "age limit" that I set. Players usually decline in stats at different ages. Gerrard became useless once he hit 35-36 and had eager, younger players to take his spot.

Torres is coming on 34 in my game but still has great games. Obviously not as good as before, but gets the job done enough to stay in my first team, but shortly will be overtaken by my 23 yr old regen.

And I just signed a 30 year old Aaron Lennon on a free and already played 2 matches but bagged a goal and 2 assists.

I think it's odd I've seen people on here say they don't sign anyone over 25. My best signings have been above age 25.

Previous FM's and i would never have a player over 28, always sell them when they reach that age for max value and replace with a younger version. But FM10 and the over 30's seem to perform much better than previous games so i have tried to keep players for longer currently have a 36 yr old Ronaldo and a 35 yr old Rooney in my Newcastle save with both performing to a high standard

Depends, im not at one level for my whole save (i start in low leages generally), so a 37 year old centre mid might be perfect for me in the BSP and may even get a new contract for the next 2 seasons based on performance (his and the teams). If Im in a top league I dont like players over 32 (although this is mostly a hangover from FM08).

i love 30-yr old players. they are very experienced, and as long as they can still get the job done, the more the better. usually i keep them until their ability drops to 1 or 1.5 stars. you all gotta admit that having a 32y/o striker who still can be the league topscorer is the best!

Don't think I've ever kept somebody in the first team after turning 35, apart from a certain Icelandic DC whose name I can't remember. He played for my Fjolnir team (first div) until he retired at 42, was top performer even.

That was FM08, don't think he's in the database anymore.

25 unless I want the player to stay his career out in the club.

Players older then 25 is used as backup and for training of younger players.

Could be said I tend to have 1 player in the age range of 28-32 in the squad.

Who is the player that is at chelst and will cost £50 million?

Also i am chelsea manager and i have got rid of all the dead wood like ballack and deco etc. The oldest player i have is lampard who is 33 and is still playing amazingly and scoring goals like he just did, scoring a double against valencia in the champs league group stages.

I think i will start getting rid of players at around the age of 31/32. apart from certain player like jt and lamps who will stay and finish there careers and then become a coach at the club. If i develop a strong relationship with the player and the player does with the club aswell then they might stay a bit longer too but i want a young squad of good creative pacey players to lead my team to success.

It's a regen in the mid 2020's, won't be anyone you can sign!

I play them until they can no longer fill a spot in my first team

After that point I will allow any offers, if not sold they will sit in the reserves until their contract runs out or I can offer staff contracts, if I like them enough

Archived