FM10: Official AS Roma thread, welcome to curva sud

Falahk

I'm glad that there is a Roma thread here,as I"m a huge giallorossi fan and currently playing a game with Roma,in my 6th season. My record is:

1st season - Champions ,2nd season - 4th, 3rd season - 3rd , 4th season - Champions , 5th season - Champions.

Current squad:

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/9110/asromad.png

Notable players (apart from the names already known) are Diego Hernandez (Wonderkid) and Pascal Menz

Alessandro Crescenzi is okay,but it doesn't look like he will improve any further.

I am currently on first place in the league after starting the season off with 6 wins in a row.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to "bump" this thread myself soon. :D

Both your team and your record look impressive, while Menz looks amazing. :thup:

I am trying to build an all Italian squad in my latest Roma save which is now in its second season.

Unfortunately I don't have internet accesss (yet) on the computer its on so I won't be able to post screenshots for now.

Crescenzi is coming along quite well and is only 19 so hopefully I'll be able to get him as good or better than in your screenshot. ;)

D'Alessandro's development has been disappointing so far, considering I once got him to become a wonderkid in another save.

My first eleven is, off the top of my head:

Curci

Criscito

Mexes

Bocchetti

Crescenzi

Danielino De Rossi

Poli

Guberti

Taddei

Totti

Paloschi

in a 4-2-3-1. And I've bought much Italian youth talent, though the Inter, Milan and Juve prospects still aren't interested.

To improve the team I thought of buying Montolivo in the place of Poli, but that's only if I'll get their asking price down from £40 million.

The foreigners remaining in the team will have to be replaced as well, but I just can't get myself to sell Mexes

and Taddei is a great tutor.

I've got Verratti, but on that computer I haven't got the 10.3 patch so he looks only okay yet at 18. Also I appear to have gotten him with a bad PA as my coaches think he'll be a good Serie A player at most. Fingers crossed that he improves as his performances in the appearances he got in the cup and uefa cup last season were quite good.

arsenal fan 123:

ofcorse, still playing on my long runing save, 2016/2017 session now, sadly work have limited me a bit in terms of posting updates (I hope to get something done on this bit over the comming weekend, and maybe I will even find time to face lift the op a bit), Im also considering to start a new save on metal_guitarists transfer update to play in addition to my current save (I like my regens way to much to just give up on the old one)

cezar.sl:

most of the time, I dont buy players (maybe I will even stop buying regens to, since my academy is providing all youth I need) , I poach on the free transfermarket, maybe I could have bought any player I liked to have but thats not how I want to play

Crescenzi:

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc70/Falahk/?action=view&current=crescenzi.png

usefull backup for me, sadly an injury made him lose a dot of acceleration and pace

Verratti:

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc70/Falahk/?action=view&current=Verratti2.png

my fav regens comming out of my own youth academy:

Tahiri (potential to become better then Mexes):

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc70/Falahk/?action=view&current=Tahiri.png

Mencarelli:

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc70/Falahk/?action=view&current=Mencarelli.png

Di Pietro (could be the next Demetrio Albertini):

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc70/Falahk/?action=view&current=DiPietro.png

My sixth season was amazing.I won the Serie A again,collecting 99 points.Also won the Coppa Italia,but lost the Champions League final 2-1 to Barca. :(

Some more interesting players:

Ivo Milos - I had signed him last year but he could only join now because he had to come 18 first. Seems pretty decent,also quite versatile.

Gerardo Iniguez - Brought as a replacement for Crescenzi,who didn't impress me enough. Has 3 stars compared to Cresz's 1.5 ,so he might be good,albeit a bit weak in physical stats.

Osvaldo Silveira - Doesn't look too impressive on first sight,but the boy is a wonderkid,and has impressed a lot when he has played. Scouts also saying that he's a quality player so I expect him to grow a lot more in the future.

Diego Hernandez - This guy is an absolute beast.Another wonderkid,already broke into my starting eleven.Goals,assists,MoMs...he's got them in spades.

Alberto Paloschi - A great striker on first sight.I have probably paid too much for him,but Palermo couldn't settle for any less. I sure hope he can live up to my expectations in the coming season.

the best young strikers in FM2010 serie A always seem to be paloschi and acquafresca. i played 3 games from the start with FM2010 already: italian national team manager, roma, and siena

in all 3 games, paloschi and acquafresca are always the youngest top goalscorers in the competition

i never bought them for roma or siena, and they played terrible when i brought them in for azzurri senior squad, but they always seem to do well in club football

what formation do you guys use with roma? i don't like to use the default 4-5-1 or the 4-1-2-1-2 damiano keeps suggesting. right now if i'm playing against lone or 3 striker formations, i usually go for a 4-2-1-3 (borriello mirko fatzilian up top, totti AMC). if i'm playing against 2-striker formations i LOVE to use 5-2-1-2, that way, i can use mexes as a supporting libero and riise + cassetti/rosi/cicinho/taddei as very attacking wingbacks. sweepers and wing backs are my favorite positions in FM2010

the best young strikers in FM2010 serie A always seem to be paloschi and acquafresca. i played 3 games from the start with FM2010 already: italian national team manager, roma, and siena

in all 3 games, paloschi and acquafresca are always the youngest top goalscorers in the competition

i never bought them for roma or siena, and they played terrible when i brought them in for azzurri senior squad, but they always seem to do well in club football

what formation do you guys use with roma? i don't like to use the default 4-5-1 or the 4-1-2-1-2 damiano keeps suggesting. right now if i'm playing against lone or 3 striker formations, i usually go for a 4-2-1-3 (borriello mirko fatzilian up top, totti AMC). if i'm playing against 2-striker formations i LOVE to use 5-2-1-2, that way, i can use mexes as a supporting libero and riise + cassetti/rosi/cicinho/taddei as very attacking wingbacks. sweepers and wing backs are my favorite positions in FM2010

In my first save I played with a wide diamond 4-4-2, another I played 4-3-1-2 and in my last it has been a 4-2-3-1, though I use the 4-5-1/4-3-3 to counter narrow formations with a strong attacking midfielder.

Edit: Paloschi is indeed very good, but I've also found that Macheda becomes one of the best Italian strikers around given a bit of game time.

for any other team i wouldnt mind buying macheda, but not for roma

he grew up in lazio academy

for roma, i try to buy roma-born players if available and no lazio links. right now i'm trying to secure 100% rights to aleandro rosi and curci, targeting on bringing bovo and amelia back to the club, and signing candreva (who's supposedly a big roma fan). there are a few other romanistas too. just do a search on place of birth and put rome. a couple of others have lazio links so i didn't buy them (di silvestre, moretti, etc)

:D

Bought Macheda for the first time yesterday, while I usually wouldn't have for the reason just stated (just like I would never buy the ex-formellese fullback).

Curci is my starting keeper and Rosi is rotating with Crescenzi at right-back. Some other good Roma academy graduates/ex-players off the top of my head are Galloppa, D'Agostino and C. Zanetti.

Might be a fun save sometime to get a whole team full of Roma youngsters. :thup:

I have been playing 4-2-3-1 throughout all my seven seasons so far with very seldom changes. The tactics that I use are also more or less the same. The team just works,so no need to fix it when it ain't broken. Paloschi has been pretty good for me so far,in around 15 games he has 13 goals,but my other striker,Hulk,has also gone crazy and is scoring like ****,so there's huge competition for that place on top of the formation.

After 15 games I'm 10 points clear in Serie A and qualified through the CL groups with 6 wins, including 4-1 away to Valencia and 7-0 against Macabi Haifa at home.

started a new roma game with the new transfer update. i'm at the middle of the season now, january, and i'm top of the table with AC milan right behind me by a point

sighhhh... but in the course of 2 matches (both against bari, cup and league), mirko, baptista, adriano, and borriello, ALL FOUR of them got injured, long term too

borriello is out for 7-8 months, so i just terminated his loan and had him go back to milan

adriano is out for 7-8 weeks, and he's homesick as well, so i sent him home to brazil for a month

mirko is out 4-6 months

baptista is out 5-6 weeks

and on top of all this, riise is adamant on leaving to "further his career." his morale has gone from superb to very poor bc i rejected an offer from chelsea, so i had no choice but to sell him. needed the money anyway to buy an emergency striker or two

which means with my current squad, my only first team striker is totti, who hasnt been in form all season and is unhappy i gave away captaincy to derossi at the beginning of the season. he also doesnt have the stamina to play every game (i'm competiting in league, cup, and champions league now, which means one match every 4 days)

luckily for me though, i'm in the middle of the winter transfer window. i was able to snap up anelka for 7m because he was unhappy, and i got chicharito on loan bc he was not match fit for man utd. they both cant jump/head the ball as well as my fantastic four, but i'm crossing my fingers and hoping i can come up with a new tactic to accommodate totti/anelka/chicharito

it's just a major downer for me bc adriano/borriello were 2nd and 3rd highest scorers in serie A (ibrah first), mirko was 2nd with most assists (sneijder first). baptista also had the most MOTM and highest overall rating awards in serie A. adriano/borriello/baptista/vucinic were truly my fantastic four and it was awesome how i could play them all together at once, leading roma to become the highest goalscoring team in serie A (leading with 54 goals currently, next is inter with 39 goals)

cmonnn anelka/chicharito!!

Stealing unprotected wifi connections means I can now post screenshots in my updates. :thup:

Macheda did well in his first season at Roma, showing a high degree of loyalty.

That season also saw one of the best things on my FM ever happening. :D

Lazio spent the 2013/2014 session in serie b on my save, sadly this kinda backfired with my main title rival, Udinese, picking up Zarate to form the best attacking trident (along with Hazard and Sanchez) I have ever played against on fm10...all that ended up with me botching the title on the last day due to results betwin teams

for a long time i have even considred splashing out £50-60 milj to price Zarate away from Udinese, just to save me the hassel of constantly being trailed by them...but by the end of the day i could not bring myself to sign a notable Lazila with such Inter like motives

yeah, in my save, muslera really was interested in joining roma. and his sale price was lower than his market price too

but i couldn't do it, even though i was looking for a good young keeper to replace julio sergio and lobont (i couldnt keep hold of curci, he wanted to stay at samp badly). ended up ignoring muslera's pleas and getting volkan demirel instead. not young i know, but w/e

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see a thread about Roma. Started a game a couple of weeks ago, finished pre season and got the backroom staff and training sorted. Found out I couldn't quite decide what to do regarding tactics, so I started a test game I'll use to experiment with different formations.

Transfers in: a couple of youngsters for my u-20 squad, plus a 21 year-old midfielder called Emmanuel Ledesma for £80k. Very good technical stats, decent mental stats but not the best physical stats (natural fitness and stamina is ok; the rest is around 8-9). I've given him an individual training schedule with emphasis on physical training; not much improvement after two months, but I suspect it's because he's not playing much and is always "lacking match fitness". Pity there isn't a reserve league. I might have to loan him out, although I'd prefer keeping him at the club to make sure he's trained properly.

Transfers out: terminated Lobont's loan and got rid of a few players from the reserve team. Was considering terminating Toni's loan to reduce wages, but chose to keep him. May send him back in January due to tactical reasons, but he often delivers when I play a formation that suits him.

Also terminated two or three feeder links to get a few players back, to either sell or develop (D'Alessandro and Crescenzi).

Started off using different variations of 4-2-3-1 but I didn't find the right balance, plus I couldn't make Il Capitano perform in the AM role. There was something wrong with either the distance between players or the movement; players occupying the same space, poor attacking rhythm and things like that. Managed to score a few goals, but the defence leaked a bit too much for my taste.

So, I altered my formation a little bit. What I really would like to do is to defend in 4-3-3 and attack in 3-4-3 like Barcelona often do (push fullbacks up as wide midfielders, pull CB's out wide, drop DM down between them, drop my striker a little bit to play on top of the diamond, have the wingers cutting inside), but since I don't know how to do this in FM I decided to take the striker in a wide 4-2-3-1 and move him to DM. I've only played two games using this system: winning 1-0 away against Bilbao and 3-1 at home against Milan. Not vintage performances though, mostly because i haven't been able to keep as much possession as I'd like. The main reason for that is that I don't have a striker, meaning the opposition can keep the ball at the back. I'll experiment with the closing down settings though; maybe I can find a way to pressure higher up without the team losing its shape.

Another weakness is that my goalkeeper doesn't seem to realize the team is playing without a striker and sometimes hoofs the ball upfield, despite the instructions I give him. I'll try setting one of my wingers as target man, maybe it helps.

Positives: Defensively solid, central midfielders making forward runs past the AM, wingers cutting inside between fullback and CB, players not occupying the same space, better attacking rhythm. Another thing I've noticed is when one winger is in possession of the ball and the opposition is a bit out of balance, he often looks for the diagonal ball towards opposite winger who cuts inside and makes the run in behind their defence. A nice little detail I haven't noticed before, maybe it's because there's no striker to occupy the space. Effective when you have quick, skillful wingers.

This is my team:

.................Doni.................

Cassetti...Juan..Mexes...Riise

...............Pizarro................

.......De Rossi...Perotta........

Menez.......Totti.......Vucinic

Don't think I'll do much in the January transfer window but if this formation is a success i might send Toni back to Bayern, and also the lad on loan from Newcastle really isn't needed. I prefer using someone from my u-20 team. Will probably look for a winger when I can afford one.

Archived